Potenza RE950AS Pole Position?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Potenza RE950AS Pole Position?

Anyone try out these tires on their TL? Tirerack rates these, if anything, even higher than the Turanza LS-Z's, and they are a fair amount cheaper. A lot less miles in the rating, though, so could be skewed. I had the RE750's a couple of cars back (not a TL) and liked them.

Thanks. -John
Old 01-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you mean the RE960AS Pole Position? I don't think they have a RE950AS PP, though they do have a RE950.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Yes, you are correct, I do mean the 960. Sorry about that. I'll fix it with an edit. -John

Well, I would fix it with an edit, but for some reason that option is not coming up on that post, even though it does for this one. -John
Old 01-03-2007, 12:48 PM
HMFIC

I'm ordering the RE960's next week. They are rated the top ultra high performance tire at the Tire Rack, so I'll give them a try and report how they work.

Cheers,

Don
Old 01-04-2007, 01:16 PM
10th Gear

I have had these tires on now for about 2 months. I love them so far, they are just a tad bit noisy but that is to be expected from a max performace tire. I live in Pa, and the tires are really good in the rain and we have not had any snow yet but I will post my opinions on how they handle the snow when the time comes. For $152.00 each from the tirerack....you really can't go wrong.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by KilroyR1
I'm ordering the RE960's next week. They are rated the top ultra high performance tire at the Tire Rack, so I'll give them a try and report how they work.

Cheers,

Don
Be careful of Tire Rack ratings. I made the mistake of buying Continental Extreme Contacts UHP All Season (I know, I know, a contradiction in terms--but we do have snow and ice here).

These were probably the worst tires I have ever gotten, difficult to balance, noisy, stiff, poor performance in the dry, poor performance in light snow (but very good in heavy, heavy rain very solid), and yet they were rated as No. 1 UHP All Seasons for a long time. I would NEVER buy these again, and have never encountered a tire I disliked so much, including OEM Michelins!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Intermediate

I have had the Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions for about 2,000 miles. So far they seem to have a pretty nice balance between performance and comfort. I actually feel that the tires are extremely quiet (though the ride quality suffers).

The handling in the dry, and in the wet, are fantastic. These tires stick very well, with little to no squealing during hard cornering. The performance is so high that sometimes you don't even approach the handling limits of the tire. These tires inspire confidence and spirited driving due to their stability. The downsides to this tire I feel are ride comfort over harsh surfaces and a drop in gas mileage vs. the stock touring tires (1-2 mpg decrease). I guess those deficiencies are easy to accept considering the increased performance and increased noise buffer (the stock tires were noisy!).

I've driven on Avon Tech M550s, 225/45/17 on a different vehicle, and the Potenza RE960AS perform much better. The Avon Techs were good, but they seemed to go out of round in the mornings after sitting in the driveway overnight.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Instructor

Took the plunge and put on the RE960AS tires. Rainy day today, but no puddles to test hydroplaning. I can say that these tires stick on wet pavement. Noticed almost no difference from dry. More road feel than the EL42, which is both good and bad. Definitely feel the bumps more. Much less tramlining that the Pirelli Nero's I had on the 2004 TL (though this may be due to the new suspension on the 07 as well). Overall, like the tires, though the ride is harsher than I'd like.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Lot of rain today. Big puddles. As far as the 960's were concerned, however, might as well have been dry. Due to traffic, could not get much past 55, but no problems whatsover. Hit some 2 inch deep puddles at 45-50 and sailed right through with no hydroplaning at all. So far so good.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:11 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I've had these tires for about 4000 miles now. Good tires. I had PZero Neros before this. Less tramlining than the Neros, but the Neros hardly tramlined on me since I didn't drive on too many surfaces where it would be prevalent. I don't feel the tires are *too* much louder than the Neros if any.

One thing I've noticed is that, say you're making a left turn. You accelerate into the turn (let's say from a stop light) and the tires seem to have trouble hooking sometimes. I've only noticed it a couple of times, but that could be because of the road. I have a pressure of 32 psi all around.

Rain traction seems to be fine although I haven't tried driving like an idiot in rain yet. We just had a day of ice here in Dallas and I did try an idiot move on an icy patch of road where no one else was. I made a left turn and gently hit the accelerator. The tires lost traction - but this is to be expected. Let's face it - it's a performance all weather tire. It quickly regained traction, though.

There's good road-feel there if you like that. To me it's like you have good road-feel without it being overly noisy.

I'd probably buy the tires again, but I think the Neros are just as good if not slightly better in the handling department, not to mention cost less.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
Be careful of Tire Rack ratings. I made the mistake of buying Continental Extreme Contacts UHP All Season (I know, I know, a contradiction in terms--but we do have snow and ice here).

These were probably the worst tires I have ever gotten, difficult to balance, noisy, stiff, poor performance in the dry, poor performance in light snow (but very good in heavy, heavy rain very solid), and yet they were rated as No. 1 UHP All Seasons for a long time. I would NEVER buy these again, and have never encountered a tire I disliked so much, including OEM Michelins!
You sure you got that tire? Maybe your tire shop is incompetent. I have that tire too. These tires were easy to balance for me, aren't noisy, as they are only marginaly louder than the Yokohama AVS decibel tires they replaced.

Much better performance than the Eagle-RSA tires I had before, but slightly worse than the Yokohama tires in the dry. I would hardly call these tires stiff, as I found them to be softer than the yokohamas and Michelin Pilot Sport All/Seasons I have on my other cars.

As for snow performance, I don't know what's wrong with your tires, but I found them to be the best A/S tire I've ever used in the snow. See my other thread about crappy OEM honda tires in the snow.... I have about 30,000 miles on them right now, and they are still going strong, and are still getting phenominal snow grip, as I had to rescue my wife from the snow just a few days ago.... YMMV I guess....
Old 01-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The thing I'm interested about in the Pole Position All/Season, is the 40,000 miles warranty. The Pilot Sport All/Season I have on my other car are starting to bald after 20,000 miles.

I was going to get the RE960AS for the TL, but my wife got so spooked in the snow, she wants the Contis I have on my other car...