New tires need alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New tires need alignment?

Hi all,

I was real anxious to try these Conti DWS after hearing such great reviews so i got it install yesterday. I asked the tire shop if I needed an alignment and after inspecting my old tires, they said my alignment was fine since it wore out evenly.

It now noticeably pulls to the right with these new tires. I brought it back for them to confirm it was balanced properly and the tire pressure was right, switched the back and front tires, and still pulled to the right. We then switched tires left to right and it still pulled to the right.

So they tell me I should get an alignment. Is it weird that new tires would throw the alignment off? Also, I couldn't get one last night since they were closing and I can't make it back till next week. Would it be okay for these tires to drive like this for a week? Otherwise I'll just head to my mechanic sooner.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I just did mine at 97k at the same time when I got my new Primacy MXV4s on. The reports show it was barely off factory specs.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
If the tires that were removed showed no sign of uneven wear, an alignment would not be needed. Very unusual to encounter a pull after new tires were installed, especially after they tried front to back, then side to side and still a pull.
Guess it would be best to get it on an alignment rack.
No one drove the car while it was at the shop?

Looked though some replies on Google and a few have stated that they have a pull after installation of the DWS when the car was dead straight before. They also indicated that the alignment is dead on.

Not trying to start a war with the DWS tires, only posting what was on the net.

Guess we'll see after the alignment.

Where are you located?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Advanced

They drove the car at the shop and found it unusual as well, although after these test of rotating the tires, they don't think this can be attributed to the tires. They tell me the alignment is the next thing to try. Will it be okay to drive on these for a week before I do this alignment? I can goto my mechanic earlier, but I figure it might be best to have this problem resolved at the same place it started.

I'm in NYC...work in NJ. Went to this place Hilna Tires in Brooklyn. They're pretty good there.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vlo421
I'm in NYC...work in NJ. Went to this place Hilna Tires in Brooklyn. They're pretty good there.
Just curious as I'm in West Central NJ and if you were closer we could try another set of wheels and tires. I have the OE wheels and tires sitting in the garage. It was just a thought.

No other ideas, unless you have someone that could throw another set of wheels/tires on the front just to give it a try.

You'll need to post the results when corrected.

How hard does it pull? Or does it just drift to the right?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Advanced

It would drift to the next lane on the highway if I let go. I may just take you up on that offer if this alignment doesn't work. Should I stick with the tire shop for them to resolve or bring this to my mechanic?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, read about the DWS with pulling and having soft sidewalls. No thanks for me.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Advanced

DWS seems like an okay ride despite this pulling. You guys think it's fine to drive on these tires for a week?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Shouldn't be a problem using the tires, just no high speed chases. Tire shop will be fine as long as they can print out the before and after results and are honest in their evaluation.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by vlo421
Hi all,

I was real anxious to try these Conti DWS after hearing such great reviews so i got it install yesterday. I asked the tire shop if I needed an alignment and after inspecting my old tires, they said my alignment was fine since it wore out evenly.

It now noticeably pulls to the right with these new tires. I brought it back for them to confirm it was balanced properly and the tire pressure was right, switched the back and front tires, and still pulled to the right. We then switched tires left to right and it still pulled to the right.

So they tell me I should get an alignment. Is it weird that new tires would throw the alignment off? Also, I couldn't get one last night since they were closing and I can't make it back till next week. Would it be okay for these tires to drive like this for a week? Otherwise I'll just head to my mechanic sooner.

Thanks
If the pull didn't change after multiple tire switching, I'd have to say it's not the tires.

Did they mount the tires properly? One of the DWS' sidewalls is labeled "outside". If mounted properly, the 2 parallel tread grooves approx 1" apart should be toward the outside.

Are you using OEM tire pressure and was it adjusted for a drop in outside air temperature? (32/32 for AT, 35/32 for MT).

Unless you're going to put like 1,000 miles on the tires in the next week, you should be fine.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM
Advanced

These guys should be honest. I worked with them here and there when I was working at Mercedes parts department. They confirmed the tire was balanced properly and I imagine if it wasn't I'd get a lot of vibrations. It was mounted properly as well. I adjusted the pressure accordingly to 35/32.

Oh boy this is real frustrating. I want to goto my mechanic but I feel like it might be better if I just stick this problem out at the same place.

I can't be certain but I pretty sure it pulls even harder to the right after they switched the tires from left to right.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:44 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,970 Likes on 14,486 Posts
I would get an alignment, since they are always a good idea after investing $500+ in tires anyway...and get it with a warrant (most places are 6 months 6K miles)

1) If alignment is Ok...then go back to tire shop and tell them you want to switch to another tire.

2) If alignment is NOT ok, they will straighten and problem solved.

3) If alignment is NOT ok and aligning doesn't solve the problem, go back to shop and switch to another tire.

Alignments are our friends...one of those nuissances that are intangible expenses that you can't touch or look at, but well worth the piece of mind IMO.

J.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I'd get one. It's a good investment for new tires.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:36 PM
Advanced

Thanks everyone. I have no doubt in my mind an alignment is needed at this point...I just have a big fear that it won't fix the problem and then the thought of having to argue for a new tire.

It just amazes me that if my alignment was dead on before new tires should throw it off. Maybe the guy torqued it too tight? Even so I can't imagine such an immediate change... I'll keep you all posted.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:59 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,970 Likes on 14,486 Posts
No sir...torquin the lugs won't change the geometry...you're not straight, could be a bum set of tires...or the brand or that tread specifically.

The alignment is a win win...THEY are suggesting the alignment as your solution, you are going to get it and it will be proof that NOW you have tried everything and the burden is on them to help you with your issue since you didn't have it to begin with. The TIRE manufacturer themselves offer warranty on that type of thing.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Advanced

Thanks that makes me feel easier about all this. Until then I have to deal with this awful feeling. This whole week I've been trying to learn double clutch and heel/toe. This pull doesn't even make me want to drive anymore -_-