New A/S tires, help me pick between 3 choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New A/S tires, help me pick between 3 choices

Whats up guys, so I put my stock suspension and wheels back onfor the NY winter, I need to mount new tires. I am going to be keeping the stock wheels and therefore need All season rubbers. Ive narrowed it down to 3 choices and am trully torn between 1 and 2.

I will be getting them in 245/45/17
After winter, I will put my coilover suspension back on, mild drop, with a type s sway bar this time around. I lile the car to be tight on corners, but after a 14 hr shift driving a truck at work, I like to cruise home comfortably as well. I do like my pressures around 35-40 for a tighter feel. Keep this in mind. I HATE SIDEWALL FLEX. And also hate how my contis used to get bubbles so easily, which is why I am considering hankooks as well. Please HELP!

1. Continental ExtremeContact DWS (currently $123 each on TR)
2. Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2
(Currently $110 each on TR)
3. Dunlop Signature HP
(Currently $108 each on TR, BUT there is a $40 rebate, and a $50 gift card for some sports gear on fanatics.com)

I had plenty of contis before, including the dws once, loved them. But I had problems getting them to shine nicely with armor all and other brands. They are now on sale because conti has released the new dws 06 and im guessing TR wants to clear the old stock.

The hankooks also have great reviews, good price, and a nice tread design too. Call me crazy but that also is taken into account in my decision.

The dunlops I have heard great reviews of, and scary ones, some people love them, some say they are impossible to balance and then after 15k they sound like an orchestra in the wheel wells. BUT i would get the whole set for less than $450 shipped, and get some nfl gear while im at it.

However, im trully torn between the co tis and hankooks, I do know most will say get the contis, but I want to hear detailed opinions as to why contis over the hankooks or vice versa.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:47 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
already asked and answered in literally tons of threads. do a search.

cliff notes: go with dws06
The following users liked this post:
Jackass (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 10:55 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
already asked and answered in literally tons of threads. do a search.

cliff notes: go with dws06
Theres constructive criticism and useless criticism, yours isnt constructive. Both the hankooks and dunlops are new models remade to strengthen the weak spots in previous models, such as the previous hankooks that sucked in the rain, I expressed my good experience with the original dws, and I stated which three I am interested in. The dws06 was not one of them. Ive done my bit of research, and now I need other peoples HELPFUL opinions. Anyone else please?
Old 12-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Not on your list, but consider Pirelli.

I'm loving mine with each additional mile I put on them. I have the Cinturato P7 Plus in 235/45/R17 V XL.

SUPERB tires, I usually ran UHP all-season tires and enjoyed them, came across these GT all-season tires and am glad I did. I feel more confident behind the wheel than I did with some of the UHP. Zero issues in the rain, traveling an hour plus to get to work in a downpour, zipping in / out of lanes at any speed the car could travel.

I'm now looking to get a set for our AWD, currently sitting on Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...345VR7CP7ASPXL

FYI - These were engineered to stiffen the sidewall.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 12-18-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:43 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MonkeyTrucker
Not on your list, but consider Pirelli.

I'm loving mine with each additional mile I put on them. I have the Cinturato P7 Plus in 235/45/R17 V XL.

SUPERB tires, I usually ran UHP all-season tires and enjoyed them, came across these GT all-season tires and am glad I did. I feel more confident behind the wheel than I did with some of the UHP. Zero issues in the rain, traveling an hour plus to get to work in a downpour, zipping in / out of lanes at any speed the car could travel.

I'm now looking to get a set for our AWD, currently sitting on Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...345VR7CP7ASPXL

FYI - These were engineered to stiffen the sidewall.
Thanks, ive read about pirellis and though I know they are superior to the dws in bad conditions wether it be rain or snow, just not in my price range. Mounting and roadforce balancing, plus an alignment will run me around $200, as much as I want the best possible tire, I dont want to end up putting $800-$900 into it since I dont know if ill keep the car for the whole life of those tires. The price I was shoppng for was arou d what the hankooks are at now, 110ish, but the dws being on sale, and me knowing past experiences with them, I dont mind the extra $60 for the set. Thanks man.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
dws06. it blows the dws out of the water and has much better sidewall stiffness now. i'm not familiar enough with the other two but i know from talking to people and doing LOTS o research the dws06 are probably better tires.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
DWS06 for sure.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I've had 2 sets of the Continental DWS tires. They work well for me.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by MistaBee
Whats up guys, so I put my stock suspension and wheels back onfor the NY winter, I need to mount new tires. I am going to be keeping the stock wheels and therefore need All season rubbers. Ive narrowed it down to 3 choices and am trully torn between 1 and 2.

I will be getting them in 245/45/17
After winter, I will put my coilover suspension back on, mild drop, with a type s sway bar this time around. I lile the car to be tight on corners, but after a 14 hr shift driving a truck at work, I like to cruise home comfortably as well. I do like my pressures around 35-40 for a tighter feel. Keep this in mind. I HATE SIDEWALL FLEX. And also hate how my contis used to get bubbles so easily, which is why I am considering hankooks as well. Please HELP!

1. Continental ExtremeContact DWS (currently $123 each on TR)
2. Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2
(Currently $110 each on TR)
3. Dunlop Signature HP
(Currently $108 each on TR, BUT there is a $40 rebate, and a $50 gift card for some sports gear on fanatics.com)

I had plenty of contis before, including the dws once, loved them. But I had problems getting them to shine nicely with armor all and other brands. They are now on sale because conti has released the new dws 06 and im guessing TR wants to clear the old stock.

The hankooks also have great reviews, good price, and a nice tread design too. Call me crazy but that also is taken into account in my decision.

The dunlops I have heard great reviews of, and scary ones, some people love them, some say they are impossible to balance and then after 15k they sound like an orchestra in the wheel wells. BUT i would get the whole set for less than $450 shipped, and get some nfl gear while im at it.

However, im trully torn between the co tis and hankooks, I do know most will say get the contis, but I want to hear detailed opinions as to why contis over the hankooks or vice versa.

Get the DWS06, not the DWS. You'll be way happier even though it's $136 a tire.

Dunlop Sport Signature are grippy but LOUD after 10K miles. They have a good warranty on them. Have them on the MDX and won't be buying another set of the dunlops.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
I am not sure if you pulled the trigger yet, but I definitely recommend DWS06. I had them installed a week or so ago and so far I am very happy.

My other tire choice would be this BFGoodrich. Based on the tirerack reviews, it is as good as DWS06 if not better and costs less.

BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S
The following users liked this post:
DMZ (01-28-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 97 Posts
I have relatively new Pirelli Pzero and am liking them quite a bit so far