Need some help installing new rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008 | 02:23 PM
Making the mighty dollar

Need some help installing new rotors and pads

I did a search and I read the garage info, but there is nothing I found that was specific for actual changing out the brake rotors and pads. The closet thread I found was Brake disc (rotor), knuckle, hub, and front wheel bearing replacement 3G Garage#D-085 . Is there anything more I need to know or tools I might need. I've changed brakes before but it's been a while and it was on a 91 civic so it's a bit different. i was going to have this done professionally because I really didn't feel like messing with it but I can't find any shop that will install them since they say they can't warrant there work. WHich to me is bullshit, they just want me to buy from them. Nevertheless I need to get this done asap. Specs as follows

05' Acura TL 6 Speed
Rotora Slotted Rotors and Pads.

Thanks for any help,
Old 01-21-2008 | 02:31 PM
Team Owner

look again and in the DIY section for Brembo brake replacement
Its not big deal if you know how to retract the 4 piston calipers-

remove pad pins inwards, the pads come out the top, then the caliper comes off the bracket, dont touch the 2 allen head bolts on the backside of caliper- never ever!!!!!!
the 2 regular head bolts hold the caliper to bracket
Brake fluid should be changed out
Order is outer bleeder first then inner
start driver front LF and go clockwise around the car LF RF RR LR
Old 01-21-2008 | 02:33 PM
Team Owner

A small private honda acura import car shop can do it-
Agree to the fact they are not responsible for parts warranty- only the installation labor itself
Thats normal- why would they use your parts and be liable for them?

What city are you in? many ziners help each other out on projects like this
Old 01-21-2008 | 02:59 PM
Making the mighty dollar

thanks for the replies... I understand why they won't warrant the parts I just don't see why they won't install without a warranty, I even asked if they would and they all said no. Anyway... I'm in Columbia SC. I haven't seen many from around me. I will use what you posted nevertheless. Again thanks for the help
Old 01-21-2008 | 06:26 PM
Team Owner

Dealers wont do it because of insurance liability
Suppose that rotor is bad and they install it and you crash- who are you going after in court- them

Yes shops assume the liability when THEY order the parts and make a paltry 10-20% for the trouble they risk
Buy your own parts when you can do the work yourself or have a shop willing to do it.
There are plenty of speed-performance shops that will gladly help you.
They do not fall under the same rules as regular auto repair shop
Old 01-21-2008 | 09:09 PM
200,000 mile club

I live in Matthews and I have taken my front rotors off to be cut (not advised). It is really easy to do. I am getting a warped feeling again in the pedal so I am going to be getting aftermarket vented rotors and pads. I have the Brembo setup (6 Speed). I can help you if you want to drive the 1.5 hours up here. Any shop can do it as it is a normal procedure.
Old 01-21-2008 | 10:20 PM
Making the mighty dollar

Thanks for the offer mmade22... I might even take you up on it. I'm going to try and call around to a couple more places tomorrow.. as I was turned down by 4 places today. If I'm unable to get any help from a shop I may attempt it myself. I'm usually one to jump right in to working on my own car... in the past I've installed numerous turbo kits, suspension parts, engines and even a couple brake jobs but since i've started working two jobs this has not happened in sometime. Maybe I just need to suck it up and jump in once again.
Old 01-23-2008 | 06:46 PM
200,000 mile club

Cool, it's not to hard. If you are replacing the rotors, go and get an impact screwdriver from Sears BEFORE you get started. They run for about 20 bucks. You should also spray the two phillips head screws the night before to loosen them up. I had a hell of a time getting the two off on each rotor as they were there since day one.
The rotor heats up and cools down many times in a day causing those screws to bond to the car. If you replace the rotors, don't bother putting those screws backs as the wheel and brakes will hold the rotor in place.
I am going to bite the bullet next month and I am ordering stoptech rotors slotted and drilled from a local vendor on here. I am still up in the air about geting either the Hawk pads, or Stop tech pads. Everyone is loving the Hawk pads from what I have red.
Old 01-24-2008 | 07:29 AM
Making the mighty dollar

Yesterday I finally broke down and took off from work and my friend and I changed my pads and rotors. It was really really simple. I believe if we were not bs around we could have done them in about 2 hours. It took us about 2 in half give or take. I'm going to attempt to do a write up with pictures here very soon. The two screws were a bitch but my friend already had a impact scewdriver and with a couple knocks from a hammer they came right out. Thank you for all that helped with imput. Hopefully I will get this write up done and posted in the next couple days.
Old 01-24-2008 | 11:10 AM
Team Owner

Hawk pads are good but a bit on the dust machine side.
I switched from HPS to RacingBrake ET300 pads and really like the change