Lowering questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012 | 10:10 PM
Advanced

Lowering questions

Alright so i plan on lowering my car on coilovers this spring. I know people are gonna say search but I am a complete noob at suspension and cant understand half the things people say when they talk about suspension. So here are the questions

1. Whats the difference between the tein SS and the tein advance coilovers?

2. When i lowered my G on springs it only needed a rear camber kit, how would the TL go?

3. When I lower my car how do I know what kind of alignment is needed? Or will the alignment shop know what to do?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2012 | 11:22 PM
AZ Community Team

2. May need front camber too. Depends how low you go. The rear will definetly go out of camber spec first.

3. The shop will know what you need and should try to get Toe close to zero on all 4 corners, caster in spec for the front (no rear caster, iirc) and there is nothing they can do with camber - we have no stock camber adjustment at all.

As far as I can gather I'm pretty typical for the amoun of drop I have. I'm at ~1.3 inches and the front Toe, Caster and Camber are OK. The Camber is bit off the target, but in spec. On the rear, Toe is OK, 1 side camber is in spec, but barely. The other side Camber is out of spec, but just barely.

If I lowered the car further, the camber would get progressively farther out of spec. Or, if I have a load in the trunk, it will pull the camber more out spec.
Old 03-27-2012 | 12:48 AM
Proud owner of a...

Tein coilovers are performance oriented, which means they are made to last very long and to give you a harsh ride.

For a performance perspective, you cannot go too low with coilovers. That gives your shorter suspension traveling distance and big droops, which means your car will corner terribly.

If you just want to slam your car, get a set of lowering springs.
Old 03-27-2012 | 12:57 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by serbj
Tein coilovers are performance oriented, which means they are made to last very long and to give you a harsh ride.

For a performance perspective, you cannot go too low with coilovers. That gives your shorter suspension traveling distance and big droops, which means your car will corner terribly.

There are different types of coilovers that can accomodate for the shorter travel.... Do some homework...

If you DO want to "slam" your car, you NEED coilovers, only way you will be able to lower it properly.

Yes, I do run coilovers Tein SS with EDFC to help with the "harsh" ride. Me personally am on 20's with 30 series tires at the lowest possible level on Tein coilovers.

To answer your three questions

similar answers like bearcat:

1. IDK
2. You will need rear camber kit. The front truly, just needs to have correct toe. But if you are anal, then they do have front camber kits ( I have not run them).
3. Anytime you play with suspension you WILL need an alignment. They will be unable to correct camber without camber kits, but can adjust toe....
Old 03-27-2012 | 02:45 AM
k1x
rocking my vs-sexx!!!

Originally Posted by serbj

..not true dude.. if you want good coilovers get tein..but they do not go as low as (megans/bc/htspec) these are good coil overs as well. if you want to go low coil overs is what you need.lowering springs only settles at 1 spring height. your car will not corner terribly with coil overs as long as you have (rsb,good tires) shoot! coil overs will actually help with cornering.

question 1:https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/new-2012-tein-street-advance-coilovers-ss-successor-843546/

question 2:https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/do-i-need-camber-kit-606757/

question 3: yes the alignment tech would know what to do unless you request negative cambers.
hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2012 | 08:46 AM
Advanced

Thanks for info. The tein should be good since im not planning to go That low. One of the main reasons im getting coils is so that i can raise the car back in winter. I also noticed fuloni mentined he got edfc to help with harsh ride. What are they exacltly and what do they do?
Old 03-27-2012 | 08:52 AM
BANNED

you don't need an EDFC. all it is is a module that allows you to control how soft or hard you want the coilvers set to (how soft or stiff your ride will be). you can mount it in your car and press a button and it'll change it for you. but once you find your comfort level, you really won't mess with the settings at all. it's a luxury item that almost nobody has. is it cool? yeah, it's cool...but for $350-$400 you don't need it.

most coilovers have adjustable damper so you can set the comfort level to whatever you want. the adjustment knob is located on top of the coilvers, and is accessible easily.
Old 03-27-2012 | 11:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
most coilovers have adjustable damper so you can set the comfort level to whatever you want. the adjustment knob is located on top of the coilvers, and is accessible easily.
I know that the front damper adjustment knobs are easy to adjust, but I thought I read that you have to take out the backseats to adjust the rears?
Old 03-27-2012 | 11:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VicTL06
I know that the front damper adjustment knobs are easy to adjust, but I thought I read that you have to take out the backseats to adjust the rears?
I was just gonna ask this
Old 03-27-2012 | 12:27 PM
BANNED

^yes, you do have to take out the backseats to get to the knobs...but if you take out your backseat just one time and get it down to a science, you can remove the whole thing in less than 5 mins. it's only 5 bolts total.

my point was, when i installed my coilovers, i left the back seats out and drove around, constantly changing the adjustments until i landed on a setting that i liked. i haven't touched the knobs since.
Old 03-27-2012 | 02:35 PM
Safety Car

I lowered my 06 TL with Tein SS coilovers about 1.7 inches front and rear, I didnt need any camber kits. Tein SS coilovers have a range of aprox -0.9" to -2.5" lower. They recommend lowering the car -1.7 inches. Thats what I did and loved it. Plenty low, and with a 24mm Progress RSB and Summer 245/35/19" Yoko S-Drive tires, it handled AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2012 | 02:36 PM
k1x
rocking my vs-sexx!!!

i got a set of tein advance myself..i was leaning towards tein ss or bc racing. what really sold me is this :
"it will provide the same drop ranges per application while still providing a 200% increase in dampening force feedback (softer settings feel softer, stiffer settings feel stiffer) The Tein rep also mentioned something about a certain part no longer being welded on anymore and that the threads are now zt coated (at least I think that's what he called it) which is to keep the threads from getting rusted and it keeps debris out and stuff"

basically its a much better version of the ss, its cheaper and if you decide to get EDFC it is compatible as well. i think i got a good deal for $860 shipped to my door step.
the only downside like i said before is it doesn't go lower than bc/megan/htspec and it doesn't come with top hats. i only have 33*** on my tls so i think I'm good with the top hats. good luck man and "SEARCH" my friend!
Old 03-27-2012 | 08:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kix`n`TL
i got a set of tein advance myself..i was leaning towards tein ss or bc racing. what really sold me is this :
"it will provide the same drop ranges per application while still providing a 200% increase in dampening force feedback (softer settings feel softer, stiffer settings feel stiffer) The Tein rep also mentioned something about a certain part no longer being welded on anymore and that the threads are now zt coated (at least I think that's what he called it) which is to keep the threads from getting rusted and it keeps debris out and stuff"

basically its a much better version of the ss, its cheaper and if you decide to get EDFC it is compatible as well. i think i got a good deal for $860 shipped to my door step.
the only downside like i said before is it doesn't go lower than bc/megan/htspec and it doesn't come with top hats. i only have 33*** on my tls so i think I'm good with the top hats. good luck man and "SEARCH" my friend!
trust me i search when i can. Im just really bad at suspension. My tl has 73k miles. Should i change the top hats or keep them? Also do the ss come with top hats? Last question, so the tein advance are the same or even better that the ss and cheaper too? Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012 | 08:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I lowered my 06 TL with Tein SS coilovers about 1.7 inches front and rear, I didnt need any camber kits. Tein SS coilovers have a range of aprox -0.9" to -2.5" lower. They recommend lowering the car -1.7 inches. Thats what I did and loved it. Plenty low, and with a 24mm Progress RSB and Summer 245/35/19" Yoko S-Drive tires, it handled AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so your not experiencing any camber wear?
Old 03-28-2012 | 05:23 AM
Racer

Did you do any work to the fenders n what rim setup u running
Old 03-28-2012 | 12:06 PM
Safety Car

I had no strange wear. I was running Axis Hiro wheels 19"x8.5" with a +35 offset which fit the Brembo's. Didn't roll fenders either.
Old 03-28-2012 | 01:04 PM
Advanced

I had no strange wear. I was running Axis Hiro wheels 19"x8.5" with a +35 offset which fit the Brembo's. Didn't roll fenders either.
yeah im throwing on some 19x8. Im probably still gonna get the rear camber kit just because i wanna be safe.
Old 03-28-2012 | 05:37 PM
k1x
rocking my vs-sexx!!!

Originally Posted by phantom0325
trust me i search when i can. Im just really bad at suspension. My tl has 73k miles. Should i change the top hats or keep them? Also do the ss come with top hats? Last question, so the tein advance are the same or even better that the ss and cheaper too? Thanks.
its really up to you if u have about 150-200 extra to spend on top hats. none of the twin products come with top hats (basis,advance,ss) on my opinion its a much better upgraded version of the ss with a lower price!!!
Old 03-28-2012 | 07:02 PM
Advanced

its really up to you if u have about 150-200 extra to spend on top hats. none of the twin products come with top hats (basis,advance,ss) on my opinion its a much better upgraded version of the ss with a lower price!!!
After looking around the advance look like they are good deal, and like you said even better than the ss. Im just always scared of the too good to be true scenario.
Old 03-29-2012 | 12:46 AM
k1x
rocking my vs-sexx!!!

me too man. i just got it today and will install this weekend so who knows if i like it or not. However tein has always been a decent brand of coil overs so i know I'm safe there lets just see how it performs.
Old 03-30-2012 | 08:30 AM
Advanced

me too man. i just got it today and will install this weekend so who knows if i like it or not. However tein has always been a decent brand of coil overs so i know I'm safe there lets just see how it performs.
Lol ill pm you sometime next week to see how their doing.
Old 03-30-2012 | 02:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phantom0325
so your not experiencing any camber wear?
At that time I had no uneven wear.