ISC coilover issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Sex Bom Omb

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
ISC coilover issues

I've been having ongoing thump issues since i received my ISC street/sport coilovers. I was hoping someone who doesn't have any issues with them can measure the front preload in mm/inch so i can make sure it's correct. The rear coilovers have been perfect, it's just the front ones I've had issues with.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Check the nut under the dampening adjustment knob and make sure that is tight.

Did you put weight on the suspension, lower car before you did the final tightening of nuts on top of top hat??

Try loosening those and retighten while car is loaded.

Does it do it only on bumps? Could be upper control arms hitting the shock tower.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Sex Bom Omb

Originally Posted by sauceja
Check the nut under the dampening adjustment knob and make sure that is tight.

Did you put weight on the suspension, lower car before you did the final tightening of nuts on top of top hat??

Try loosening those and retighten while car is loaded.

Does it do it only on bumps? Could be upper control arms hitting the shock tower.
I made sure that top bolt was tight when i replaced the shafts/shocks. I didn't re-check the top nut after i installed and lowered the suspension so ill go ahead and check that when i get home.

The noise happens regardless of whether im going slow or fast, it's like a small thump kind of like its bottoming out. It happens when i go over a small pothole to me going over a slope or speed bump.

I'm running skunk2 control arms, i initially checked these and didn't see and paint chips on it but ill double check that when i get home.

Right now i'm in the process of trying to get new springs, i'm thinking there too soft, possibly defect

And there's also someone else local who has the same issue with his isc street/sport, except his sounds even worse. I ran D2's on my old civic, similar setup so I'm stumped on what it can be

These are pics of the way springs are....

Last edited by midnightcivic; 07-18-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by midnightcivic
I've been having ongoing thump issues since i received my ISC street/sport coilovers. I was hoping someone who doesn't have any issues with them can measure the front preload in mm/inch so i can make sure it's correct. The rear coilovers have been perfect, it's just the front ones I've had issues with.
Commonly it's because the top nut isn't tightened or the preload is set incorrectly. See below.

Adjusting Your Coilovers- Adjustments

Setting Preload on Coilovers:

We recommend a preload of 5mm on all corners of the suspension. To set this, you will need to compress the spring using the large gold collar. Simply tighten this up until it stops spinning. You can then take a measurement of the spring. This should yield you 0 preload. From here you need to compress the spring an additional 5mm.

A quick way to be able to know the length of your spring is to look at it. On the spring is a series of number. Example, 18008. This means the spring is 180mm with an 8kg spring rate. The first three numbers are the length. You may also see 200, 140 etc.

If you add 5mm of preload to a 180mm spring you will have an end result of 175mm. This is the proper preload measurement.

Once you have finished setting up your preload, make sure to tighten the smaller locking gold collar against the large collar to keep your preload from changing.

Does your car seem too bouncy? Is your car too stiff or bottoming out easily? Check the preload

13) I hear a clunking coming from my coilovers when I drive them on the street, what could it be?

Welcome to the world of coilovers; a more complex strut with components designed to be adjustable which in return can cause noise if/when things get loose. Noise can happen from time to time whether it is a 500.00 or 5,000.00 coilover. Sounds are often caused my some part of the coilover becoming loose over time.

Things to Check:

1) Top 19mm Nut: This top 19mm nut secures the shaft to the top plate/ pillowball configuration. Over time it may become loose and cause a clunk when going over bumps due to play. How do you fix this? 1) Take a 19mm wrench and place it onto the 19mm nut. 2) Hold a 5mm allen key tool in the actual shaft of the coilover (make sure to unscrew the little dampening clicker on the top of the strut and place it to the side). 3) While holding the shaft still with the 5mm allen key turn the 19mm wrench clockwise; this will tighten the 19mm nut and mate the shaft/pillowball assembly tight. This can be done in about 30 seconds per strut, while it is installed on the vehicle.4) Put the dampening clicker back on.

2) Check your adjustments: If your preload is incorrect you will get noise, make sure it is to spec (check preload adjustment article above).

3) Check all other Parts: double check your collars, mounts and anything that can become loose.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Sex Bom Omb

That's exactly what i did with the preload took off 5mm from the length of the spring. I'll double check the top nut when i get home
Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
If preload has to be within spec, why even make it adjustable?
Old 07-18-2013, 03:35 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by twigglius
for serious track junkies who want every fine tuned adjustment, or cars that are slammed to the ground and need to tighten preload even more than 5mm in order to not bottom out
Old 07-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Dallas Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts
I made sure that top bolt was tight when i replaced the shafts/shocks. I didn't re-check the top nut after i installed and lowered the suspension so ill go ahead and check that when i get home.

The noise happens regardless of whether im going slow or fast, it's like a small thump kind of like its bottoming out. It happens when i go over a small pothole to me going over a slope or speed bump.

I'm running skunk2 control arms, i initially checked these and didn't see and paint chips on it but ill double check that when i get home.

Right now i'm in the process of trying to get new springs, i'm thinking there too soft, possibly defect

And there's also someone else local who has the same issue with his isc street/sport, except his sounds even worse. I ran D2's on my old civic, similar setup so I'm stumped on what it can be

These are pics of the way springs are....

That other local is ME! I am starting to HATE these coilovers. Me and midnightcivic have gotten together multiple times to check them out. Top nuts on center of upper shaft(shock) are tight. Top nuts to hold the tophats to the body are tight. Lower bolts are tight. Preload is set at 5mm all the way around. gold locking rings all tight.Ive had MAX and Minimum daper adjustments, currently full stiff. Mine will clunk BAAAAAAAAD when going down my parking garage, or any hight change in the street. The spring has no paint between the coils due to hitting each other. I rode with camera under my car and the spring is bottoming out very easily. Upper control arm is 3 inches from the strut tower. Everything is tight! The car bounces UP over some bumps and BANGS when it goes down. To me the shock seems blown and the spring is not stiff enough. My coilovers have about 15k miles on them and slowly get worse and worse. Im an ASE MASTER mechanic and am GM WORLDCLASS so trust me ive spent my fair share of time trying to figure this out and am VERY qualified to do so. Im jus about to take these crappy coils off and buy some TEIN SA if i dont resolve the issue soon. People get into my NICE car and it bangs around like a JALOPY! Coils will be stiff, ok. Coils can clunk over CERTAIN bumps, ok. I know all of this. These sound like my entire front end is about to fall off my car and have me run over it. I think my windshield is going to break sometimes at how hard and loud it is. This is a SERIOUS problem and NOBODY seems to have the answers. I dont have warranty on mine so if i do fix them im going to have to pay for it. My guess is the Springs are trash and so are the shocks(upper shafts-as ISC calls them). As you can see im not very happy with them thus far.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Moved to the LOU

Sounds like something is seriously wrong with the coils you two have. Those springs should not be compressing that much to have the coating rub off of the springs. I have 5 year old Teins that have zero coating removed from them. It's almost as if the wrong spring or incorrect shock body was accidentally put together for these from the factory. I.E. The spring is way too short for the strut itself. I dunno man since I have heard nothing but good things about these coils.

I just got mine 2 days ago, but have not taken my Teins off and switched them yet.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Based on the pic above it seems to me that the springs are defective or they are the incorrect ones the for application. Hope you guys get it resolved soon.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Sex Bom Omb

I went ahead and made sure the top nut was fully tighten which i did notice it did need some tightening but not by much. I still here thump but much better than before. I didn't have time to check the pre-load to see if it changed after i did that so ill check it this weekend

I also checked the control arms and saw nothing that shows them hitting the frame anywhere.

I'm still going through the process of getting new springs
Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 PM

Sounds like something is seriously wrong with the coils you two have. Those springs should not be compressing that much to have the coating rub off of the springs. I have 5 year old Teins that have zero coating removed from them. It's almost as if the wrong spring or incorrect shock body was accidentally put together for these from the factory. I.E. The spring is way too short for the strut itself. I dunno man since I have heard nothing but good things about these coils.

I just got mine 2 days ago, but have not taken my Teins off and switched them yet.
Do NOT put them on! haha If you dare then go for it. They ride very well and street/hwy they are more stiff than stock suspension but its tight and perfect i think. If they just didnt sound like a box of marbles underneath my front end i would like them. The quality is very nice but they dont perform...
Old 07-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Moved to the LOU

I feel like this topic needs more discussion. I can't get the image of your springs out of my head. I know one of you said that you had 15,000 miles on the coils, which is nothing. My question to both of you is this. Did you have issues from day one? If you did, why did you not ask for a new set back when you installed them when you still had a warranty?

I realize coil overs make noise but what the two of you are experiencing is absolutely absurd. I'd fucking lose my shit and then some if I were in your shoes. Many members have these coils and rave about. I can think of a handful of people that love these coils and have no issues. Which brings me back to either your springs being for a different vehicle (to short) or the bodies are for the wrong vehicle as well (to long).

Anything is possible. Every company has made mistakes.

And another note. Your springs look rusted to hell like they have been beat to shit. What gives, I wonder?
Old 07-20-2013, 01:40 PM

I feel like this topic needs more discussion. I can't get the image of your springs out of my head. I know one of you said that you had 15,000 miles on the coils, which is nothing. My question to both of you is this. Did you have issues from day one? If you did, why did you not ask for a new set back when you installed them when you still had a warranty?

I realize coil overs make noise but what the two of you are experiencing is absolutely absurd. I'd fucking lose my shit and then some if I were in your shoes. Many members have these coils and rave about. I can think of a handful of people that love these coils and have no issues. Which brings me back to either your springs being for a different vehicle (to short) or the bodies are for the wrong vehicle as well (to long).

Anything is possible. Every company has made mistakes.

And another note. Your springs look rusted to hell like they have been beat to shit. What gives, I wonder?
I bought my Coils from MyHawtTl on the forum back in March/April. I was told they had 8k miles on them. They clunked like hell from the day I installed them. They Look BRAND NEW! I think ISC has not been around long, since 2011 if im correct but i may be wrong from my research ive done. So i know mine have no warranty as they are most likely over the 12month warranty period. I think i may have a first set they made and are complete CRAP! I will take some pics later if i can with the car on the ground so you can see the spring, you will flip out how close the spring coils are together. Here is a pic of them before i put them on. Which the paint was already chipped off between the coils then. The spring is def hitting itself. To me it seems it is compressing 100% and then making the noise. My rear ALSO makes a small clunk over certain bumps. The bolts are toqued like crazy actually overtight but the bottom hole in the coilover is too loose so can move the wheel up/down slightly. its like 0.005 thousands of an inch but it still makes a clunk. midnightcivic has seen them. Mine is worse then his but his still clunk pretty bad.
Attached Thumbnails ISC coilover issues-coilovers.jpg  
Old 07-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts
After reading all the post here. I think they could be defective coils. But as twigglius
stated why now you having clunking issues? As I see it man made components means
theirs going to faulty issues at times.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Moved to the LOU

Dude. Text me... I wana ask you some more questions. 6oh2 six86 5zero1four
Old 07-20-2013, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by yoks032rs
After reading all the post here. I think they could be defective coils. But as twigglius
stated why now you having clunking issues? As I see it man made components means
theirs going to faulty issues at times.
Ive had clunking issues ever since I put mine on, Midnightcivic has had issues ever since he put his on back in Nov 2012i think it was. We have been taking them apart and talking to ISC ever since march/april. It didnt just all of the sudden happen.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:43 PM

Here ya go! Sping is WAAAAAAAAAY too compressed! Thats sitting on the ground
Attached Thumbnails ISC coilover issues-img_20130720_142850_236.jpg   ISC coilover issues-img_20130720_142839_046.jpg   ISC coilover issues-img_20130720_142805_750.jpg   ISC coilover issues-img_20130720_142742_043.jpg  
Old 07-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Moved to the LOU

Ok dude... Something ain't right! That spring is way to soft.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:28 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Where is IHC?

I am sure he could have some input on what's happening, sorry I can't help. I hope you guys get it resolved and I am In for a resolution. I would be upset/frustrated as well.

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 07-20-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i know exactly what the problem is. the strut is bad and has leaked. I just recently had this problem with my isc coils and I thought it was my tire flat and sounded like it was slamming the ground every little bump I hit. it was violent. I went and had someone confirm it and then called isc and they sent me a new strut and I replaced it. if you take the coilover off just take off that top nut and you will be able to move the strut up and down if that's what It is.
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (07-21-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Because some ppl still want to go even lower. It's not recommended but it is possible.

Originally Posted by MBP_BALLER
That other local is ME! I am starting to HATE these coilovers. Me and midnightcivic have gotten together multiple times to check them out. Top nuts on center of upper shaft(shock) are tight. Top nuts to hold the tophats to the body are tight. Lower bolts are tight. Preload is set at 5mm all the way around. gold locking rings all tight.Ive had MAX and Minimum daper adjustments, currently full stiff. Mine will clunk BAAAAAAAAD when going down my parking garage, or any hight change in the street. The spring has no paint between the coils due to hitting each other. I rode with camera under my car and the spring is bottoming out very easily. Upper control arm is 3 inches from the strut tower. Everything is tight! The car bounces UP over some bumps and BANGS when it goes down. To me the shock seems blown and the spring is not stiff enough. My coilovers have about 15k miles on them and slowly get worse and worse. Im an ASE MASTER mechanic and am GM WORLDCLASS so trust me ive spent my fair share of time trying to figure this out and am VERY qualified to do so. Im jus about to take these crappy coils off and buy some TEIN SA if i dont resolve the issue soon. People get into my NICE car and it bangs around like a JALOPY! Coils will be stiff, ok. Coils can clunk over CERTAIN bumps, ok. I know all of this. These sound like my entire front end is about to fall off my car and have me run over it. I think my windshield is going to break sometimes at how hard and loud it is. This is a SERIOUS problem and NOBODY seems to have the answers. I dont have warranty on mine so if i do fix them im going to have to pay for it. My guess is the Springs are trash and so are the shocks(upper shafts-as ISC calls them). As you can see im not very happy with them thus far.
Have you called ISC? They are actually very easy to work with. Send me an email to sales@excelerateperformance.com with your name and info.

Originally Posted by weezy_nation
i know exactly what the problem is. the strut is bad and has leaked. I just recently had this problem with my isc coils and I thought it was my tire flat and sounded like it was slamming the ground every little bump I hit. it was violent. I went and had someone confirm it and then called isc and they sent me a new strut and I replaced it. if you take the coilover off just take off that top nut and you will be able to move the strut up and down if that's what It is.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by weezy_nation
Midnightcivic got new upper shafts(shocks) for the front and his still make the noise. So I'm a bit weary of buying new ones myself since his didn't fix the issue. My thing is why are the spring coils touching? This makes no sense. Too many coils on a small diameter spring that isn't stiff enough maybe. Poor design? Maybe... My spring numbers are 20006(rear) and 200L_10KG if that makes a difference...I have contacted XLR8 to where I was sent to ISC and given a link to purchase new upper shafts(shocks) but I have not yet. Still weary of spending more money on them if it isn't going to fix it. Thanks you XLR8 for your input and help. Very prompt and quick response.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Moved to the LOU

Midnightcivic My spring numbers are 20006(rear) and 200L_10KG .
so your rear is 20006, which means your spring is 200mm long with a 6kg spring rate. Those are the soft springs, at least the 6kg part. I bought the mid level stiffness and mine are 18008 in the rear.

are you saying your fronts are 20010?

Are the softer springs supposed to be longer?
justnspace (07-22-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
HOLY hell....that spring is compressed as a muthafawker !!!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Sex Bom Omb

I went ahead and measured my springs which came out to 195mm, my preload was already set at 190mm. New springs should be coming in by the end of the week so i'll update this thread when i get them installed
Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MBP_BALLER please contact us at your earliest convenience and we can assess your spring situation. 603 715 9078.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:04 PM
10th Gear

I bought my Coils from MyHawtTl on the forum back in March/April. I was told they had 8k miles on them. They clunked like hell from the day I installed them. They Look BRAND NEW! I think ISC has not been around long, since 2011 if im correct but i may be wrong from my research ive done. So i know mine have no warranty as they are most likely over the 12month warranty period. I think i may have a first set they made and are complete CRAP! I will take some pics later if i can with the car on the ground so you can see the spring, you will flip out how close the spring coils are together. Here is a pic of them before i put them on. Which the paint was already chipped off between the coils then. The spring is def hitting itself. To me it seems it is compressing 100% and then making the noise. My rear ALSO makes a small clunk over certain bumps. The bolts are toqued like crazy actually overtight but the bottom hole in the coilover is too loose so can move the wheel up/down slightly. its like 0.005 thousands of an inch but it still makes a clunk. midnightcivic has seen them. Mine is worse then his but his still clunk pretty bad.
Hey everyone,
here for support!

We have been around for about 12 years in Australia and Asia, and in North America for 4.

Although you bought your coilovers used we would still be willing to assist you, please email or call us as soon as you can info@iscsuspension-na.com/ 603 715 9078.

Thanks,
Andrew
ISC
Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Moved to the LOU

^^^awesome of you guys to come in here and help!
Old 07-25-2013, 09:43 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
now thats PRODUCT SUPPORT !!!

effin AWESOME !!!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:18 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
wow...i'm in for more info. was going to buy a set of these. curious how this will turn out.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Sex Bom Omb

I went ahead and installed the springs today and wow it's night and day. No noise and it's a stock or better feel. Also my original setup was actually street/comfort, i wanted stiffer springs so i went with with with street/sport spring which measures exactly 180mm. The spring i took off was 200/10 which should of measured 200mm but measures 195mm, so i believe it to be defective.

I also had to pay $100 to get these springs when i thought these were supposed to be under warranty so i wasn't too happy with that. So thats 100 on top of the 900 i paid for them new from excelerate. I'll be contacting the above number to hopefully get most of the 100 back.

Here's a pic of the old spring measuing 195mm

Last edited by midnightcivic; 07-28-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Hmm weird cause on my isc coils that I bought from a member about 2 months ago the box said Street/Comfort but had the 12/8k rates on it. On the springs themselves they have 12/8k rates too so maybe the later street/comfort rates were changed to sport rates?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
holy crap hope this issue got fix
Old 08-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Sex Bom Omb

Issue was fixed but not after paying 100 for new springs on top of the 900 i paid for the coilovers. ISC customer service sucks, said they would call me back and never did. Always have to be on them to get anything going.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Issue was fixed but not after paying 100 for new springs on top of the 900 i paid for the coilovers. ISC customer service sucks, said they would call me back and never did. Always have to be on them to get anything going.
Email me at sales@excelerateperformance.com with your full name and info and when you purchased. I'll CC ISC and see what we can work out.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 PM

ISC sent me two new front springs(free-and not under warranty) Thank you ISC for that! They are 180 as well and not 200 like what I have now. I don't care as long as the issue is fixed. Stiff is better than BANG every tiny bump I hit. I've been sick all week so I'll let you guys know how mine turn out next week when I get back to my shop. Valentine's suspension was fixed with new springs so I'm crossing my fingers. My suspension is set all the same all 4 corners(spring tension at 5mm and distance from both locking rings the same) Currently reading LF 24" LR 24" RF 23" RR 25" from ground to fender. So the RF spring has def collapsed, hoping the RR is high due to the car leaning. Otherwise I may have other issues.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Sex Bom Omb

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Email me at sales@excelerateperformance.com with your full name and info and when you purchased. I'll CC ISC and see what we can work out.
email sent

ISC sent me two new front springs(free-and not under warranty) Thank you ISC for that! They are 180 as well and not 200 like what I have now. I don't care as long as the issue is fixed. Stiff is better than BANG every tiny bump I hit. I've been sick all week so I'll let you guys know how mine turn out next week when I get back to my shop. Valentine's suspension was fixed with new springs so I'm crossing my fingers. My suspension is set all the same all 4 corners(spring tension at 5mm and distance from both locking rings the same) Currently reading LF 24" LR 24" RF 23" RR 25" from ground to fender. So the RF spring has def collapsed, hoping the RR is high due to the car leaning. Otherwise I may have other issues.
Hopefully yours will be fixed with the new springs. I guess i should of bought them used to get new springs free, apparently having a warranty means nothing
Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
10th Gear

sent you a PM Midnightcivic.
Shoot me over an email with your response if you could
midnightcivic (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 02:50 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by swoosh
now thats PRODUCT SUPPORT !!!

effin AWESOME !!!

Thank you! Let us know if anything is needed or there are any questions. Email or Phone is the best method of contact especially right now with us being limited to PM/ inbox space on the forum since we just signed up.

Thanks
ISC
swoosh (08-19-2013)

Quick Reply: ISC coilover issues