ISC coilover issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by midnightcivic
email sent

Hopefully yours will be fixed with the new springs. I guess i should of bought them used to get new springs free, apparently having a warranty means nothing
I emailed you and emailed you back their response showing they said they would take care of it. Honestly, ISC's warranty has been better than most of the companies we've dealt with.
The following users liked this post:
midnightcivic (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Sex Bom Omb

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ISC Suspension
sent you a PM Midnightcivic.
Shoot me over an email with your response if you could

Originally Posted by Excelerate
I emailed you and emailed you back their response showing they said they would take care of it. Honestly, ISC's warranty has been better than most of the companies we've dealt with.
Thanks ISC and Excelerate for all your help, all my issues have been resolved.

Also when i did receive the new springs the ride was soo smooth, i always wondered why people praised them so much. Now its clear to me why they did
Old 08-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Also when i did receive the new springs the ride was soo smooth, i always wondered why people praised them so much. Now its clear to me why they did
Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Dallas Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

Your making me jealous Valentine! My new springs are sitting in my trunk... I have training this week now so I cant install them until thursday/friday. Looking forward to a smooth quiet ride! Did you take the entire coilover off to replace the spring?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:42 AM
Sex Bom Omb

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I left the tophats in just took off the top 19mm nut and bolted back in place
Old 08-22-2013, 10:44 PM

GOOD NEWS! I removed my coilovers and checked my shocks, shocks test ok. Inspected the entire coilover and removed the springs. Measured the springs and they were not 200mm like they were supposed to be. just like Valentine's pic is basically what they looked like as well as the paint missing between the coils of the spring. Replaced both springs, setup pre-load at 5mm, double checked all bolts and hit em with an impact. Top nut-TIGHT! Had to lower the coilover another 1 1/2 inches with these new springs. Setup same height and currectly 24" in front and 24 1/2 at the back. So the car is actually level now(side to side) will be re-adjusting later after the springs settle a bit. Test drove it home with the radio off and WOW freaking amazing! The car drives and handles like a BMW now with no "BANG" every bump! Ahh... This makes me extremely happy! The car handles better, it doesnt bounce high over bumps, no clunks! AMAZING! Havent experienced joy with these coilovers until now! Thanks ISC Suspension and XLR8 for your help! *will post pics later
Old 08-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MBP_BALLER
GOOD NEWS! I removed my coilovers and checked my shocks, shocks test ok. Inspected the entire coilover and removed the springs. Measured the springs and they were not 200mm like they were supposed to be. just like Valentine's pic is basically what they looked like as well as the paint missing between the coils of the spring. Replaced both springs, setup pre-load at 5mm, double checked all bolts and hit em with an impact. Top nut-TIGHT! Had to lower the coilover another 1 1/2 inches with these new springs. Setup same height and currectly 24" in front and 24 1/2 at the back. So the car is actually level now(side to side) will be re-adjusting later after the springs settle a bit. Test drove it home with the radio off and WOW freaking amazing! The car drives and handles like a BMW now with no "BANG" every bump! Ahh... This makes me extremely happy! The car handles better, it doesnt bounce high over bumps, no clunks! AMAZING! Havent experienced joy with these coilovers until now! Thanks ISC Suspension and XLR8 for your help! *will post pics later
Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Midnight civic and MBP Baller. Let me make sure i read this correctly. You both had the Street/Comfort springs and then got sent Street/Sport springs? Reason I ask is because i just installed my set 2 months ago. Ever since day 1 they have been making that horrific bang that sounds like a flat tire you spoke of. This is my first set of coils so i thought it was normal. After speaking with a few others turns out it is not. Mine makes this sound over every little bump or imperfection in the rode. I have the Skunk 2 UCA front camber and not the ball joints (which i have read slams alot) Im wondering if im having the same issue. I have all the bolts tight and have to ride on full stiff and i still get that horrible sound like crazy. I have not had time to jack the car up and check the numbers on the spring. Did you get sent springs with the street/comfort rating or were the new ones sent to you the street/sport rating?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Racer

also did you both just replace the front springs or all 4 springs?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by bmore07tls
Midnight civic and MBP Baller. Let me make sure i read this correctly. You both had the Street/Comfort springs and then got sent Street/Sport springs? Reason I ask is because i just installed my set 2 months ago. Ever since day 1 they have been making that horrific bang that sounds like a flat tire you spoke of. This is my first set of coils so i thought it was normal. After speaking with a few others turns out it is not. Mine makes this sound over every little bump or imperfection in the rode. I have the Skunk 2 UCA front camber and not the ball joints (which i have read slams alot) Im wondering if im having the same issue. I have all the bolts tight and have to ride on full stiff and i still get that horrible sound like crazy. I have not had time to jack the car up and check the numbers on the spring. Did you get sent springs with the street/comfort rating or were the new ones sent to you the street/sport rating?
Sorry to hear that you are dealing with this issue as well. If you Email XLR8 or ISC they will tell you to double check all the bolts but especially the top nut on the shock(middle on strut mount). MidnightCivic's were loose and it helped slightly but the problem was the springs. Also, your coilovers need to be adjusted properly. To do this, take all tension off your spring. raise the upper locking ring to the bottom of the spring by hand until it is touching the spring and there is no play up/down. Next move the lower locking ring up until it touches the other ring and stop. Next, start compressing the spring by turning the upper locking ring up 5mm. Easy way to tell is put a 1/2 inch extension square end in the gap, once you can barely fit it between the rings, STOP. Then move the lower ring up and lock it tight. Now they are adjusted properly. If you do all this and it is set up right, then your probably in need of springs.

I think both of ours were the street/comfort if i'm not mistaken. The numbers on them were 200kg10 or something along those lines. They were supposed to be 200mm tall. But ours were not. They sent us both new springs that were 180mm tall. Not sure on the stiffness. I think they were street/sport springs. They fixed the issue. Sure tell tale sign is the spring has the paint chipped off. Look at it on the ground with your tire turned and take a pic and post it up.
Lastly, the front springs were the only issue and the rear springs are ok. No need to replace them. Only the fronts.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Racer

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with this issue as well. If you Email XLR8 or ISC they will tell you to double check all the bolts but especially the top nut on the shock(middle on strut mount). MidnightCivic's were loose and it helped slightly but the problem was the springs. Also, your coilovers need to be adjusted properly. To do this, take all tension off your spring. raise the upper locking ring to the bottom of the spring by hand until it is touching the spring and there is no play up/down. Next move the lower locking ring up until it touches the other ring and stop. Next, start compressing the spring by turning the upper locking ring up 5mm. Easy way to tell is put a 1/2 inch extension square end in the gap, once you can barely fit it between the rings, STOP. Then move the lower ring up and lock it tight. Now they are adjusted properly. If you do all this and it is set up right, then your probably in need of springs.

I think both of ours were the street/comfort if i'm not mistaken. The numbers on them were 200kg10 or something along those lines. They were supposed to be 200mm tall. But ours were not. They sent us both new springs that were 180mm tall. Not sure on the stiffness. I think they were street/sport springs. They fixed the issue. Sure tell tale sign is the spring has the paint chipped off. Look at it on the ground with your tire turned and take a pic and post it up.
Lastly, the front springs were the only issue and the rear springs are ok. No need to replace them. Only the fronts.
Thanks for all the info. I did check all the nuts on top including the 19mm nut. Mine was the same as your buddy's, little loose, tightened and it helped a little bit but not much. I still get the horrific sound. Whenever I get time I will check my preload. I didn't check this on install day because I was under the impression they were already set from the factory. Once I eliminate the preload as a possible problem I will contact ISC and XLR8. At that time I will also verify if I was given the correct springs. I'm hoping my issue gets resolved. I've heard good things about these coils and I just want to experience that. I hate that I have to ride on full stiff everywhere. I'm not even that low lol
Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may have damaged them by not preloading them and driving around not assembled correctly.
Riding 100% FULL HARD also is not advised.Please contact us via support@iscsuspension-na.com or phone we would be happy to help you.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Racer

You may have damaged them by not preloading them and driving around not assembled correctly.
Riding 100% FULL HARD also is not advised.Please contact us via support@iscsuspension-na.com or phone we would be happy to help you.
Will do. I thought they were preloaded from the factory?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 AM
10th Gear

Setting Preload on Coilovers:
We recommend a preload of 5mm on all corners of the suspension. To set this, you will need to compress the spring using the large gold collar. Simply tighten this up until it stops spinning. You can then take a measurement of the spring. This should yield you 0 preload. From here you need to compress the spring an additional 5mm.

A quick way to be able to know the length of your spring is to look at it. On the spring is a series of number. Example, 18008. This means the spring is 180mm with an 8kg spring rate. The first three numbers are the length. You may also see 200, 140 etc.
If you add 5mm of preload to a 180mm spring you will have an end result of 175mm. This is the proper preload measurement.
Once you have finished setting up your preload, make sure to tighten the smaller locking gold collar against the large collar to keep your preload from changing.
Does your car seem too bouncy? Is your car too stiff or bottoming out easily? Check the preload!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Racer

Setting Preload on Coilovers:
We recommend a preload of 5mm on all corners of the suspension. To set this, you will need to compress the spring using the large gold collar. Simply tighten this up until it stops spinning. You can then take a measurement of the spring. This should yield you 0 preload. From here you need to compress the spring an additional 5mm.

A quick way to be able to know the length of your spring is to look at it. On the spring is a series of number. Example, 18008. This means the spring is 180mm with an 8kg spring rate. The first three numbers are the length. You may also see 200, 140 etc.
If you add 5mm of preload to a 180mm spring you will have an end result of 175mm. This is the proper preload measurement.
Once you have finished setting up your preload, make sure to tighten the smaller locking gold collar against the large collar to keep your preload from changing.
Does your car seem too bouncy? Is your car too stiff or bottoming out easily? Check the preload!
Just spoke with someone from your customer support. It seems I was incorrect about the preload being preset from factory. I will set preload when I get a chance and report back. Thank you for the quick response guys.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:46 AM
10th Gear

no problem!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Great info...now I need to go out and check my preload setting....

How would you suggest to reduce the spring travel....I have the Sport/Street springs and my car is gutted out....I like it when the car rides stiff....I preloaded the rears pretty well but was only able to do soo much to the fronts since I was not able to lower the car because of the weight of the car and spring rate....I have the dampening set to 28F and 24R (with 32 being stiffest)....
Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by swoosh
Great info...now I need to go out and check my preload setting....

How would you suggest to reduce the spring travel....I have the Sport/Street springs and my car is gutted out....I like it when the car rides stiff....I preloaded the rears pretty well but was only able to do soo much to the fronts since I was not able to lower the car because of the weight of the car and spring rate....I have the dampening set to 28F and 24R (with 32 being stiffest)....
I have my preload set at 5mm all the way around. Front setting is at full stiff and rear is at 31(full stiff in rear is like no travel-RACECAR STATUS) I drive the city streets 16 miles to and from work and it rides like a dream. Slightly stiffer from factory, but enough to ride well on the bumpy streets. I would compare it to a BWM M3 suspension feel. Do you have clunking as well swoosh?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:05 PM

^^^ I thought you had the comfort springs....

the street/sport are a little more stiff and I have the springs preloaded well (still need to measure them)....

but yeah my cars weighs between 2950-3000 lbs and hence I dont get any clunking....if I was full weight I think I would have noticed some light clunking....

also my car feels a lot stiff than OEM and I love it....but from what I read somewhere it says if you have stiffer springs and less spring travel and medium dampening (not full stiff), it helps but increasing corner entry speed....

am not a race driver but the placebo effect does really attest to that LOL
Old 09-05-2013, 02:15 PM

the street/sport are a little more stiff and I have the springs preloaded well (still need to measure them)....

but yeah my cars weighs between 2950-3000 lbs and hence I dont get any clunking....if I was full weight I think I would have noticed some light clunking....

also my car feels a lot stiff than OEM and I love it....but from what I read somewhere it says if you have stiffer springs and less spring travel and medium dampening (not full stiff), it helps but increasing corner entry speed....

The springs they send me and MidnightCivic were Street/sport. They were shorter and more stiff than the 200mm springs that were on it. I think the comfort springs are just not designed correctly to handle the stress on a coilover. Dude I would love to take the car to a track. Im guessing you do? 5mm isnt alot of preload but enough to not clunk. What is your ground to fender clearance? Im running 24" exactly right now. Low enough to scrape on the streets, and hit the subframe and j-pipe a bit on speedbumps every once in a while. I heard of some guys running 22" somehow. My car would not make it here in dallas that low. My j-pipe would get ripped off!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 PM

Not sure of the FTG as well LOL....I should be around the 24" mark as well....I do scrap every now and then LOL....

No Sir, I dont track my car....I do need too though....but with the kid coming, am thinking of selling the car and just getting something more family oriented
Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 PM

Not sure of the FTG as well LOL....I should be around the 24" mark as well....I do scrap every now and then LOL....

No Sir, I dont track my car....I do need too though....but with the kid coming, am thinking of selling the car and just getting something more family oriented
Slammes RDX? haha
Old 09-05-2013, 03:16 PM

bagged and boosted Odyssey
Old 09-05-2013, 03:17 PM

That would be pimp as hell! haha
Old 09-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by twigglius
so your rear is 20006, which means your spring is 200mm long with a 6kg spring rate. Those are the soft springs, at least the 6kg part. I bought the mid level stiffness and mine are 18008 in the rear.

are you saying your fronts are 20010?

Are the softer springs supposed to be longer?

I think he did have the comforts... Se my reply above.

The springs they send me and MidnightCivic were Street/sport. They were shorter and more stiff than the 200mm springs that were on it. I think the comfort springs are just not designed correctly to handle the stress on a coilover. Dude I would love to take the car to a track. Im guessing you do? 5mm isnt alot of preload but enough to not clunk. What is your ground to fender clearance? Im running 24" exactly right now. Low enough to scrape on the streets, and hit the subframe and j-pipe a bit on speedbumps every once in a while. I heard of some guys running 22" somehow. My car would not make it here in dallas that low. My j-pipe would get ripped off!
22" - I ain't got no time fo DAT!

Let's measure eachother tomorrow. ERRRRR, I mean - NO HOMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I already set my preload but I'm brining the MIC anyway. We shoudl check yours. Watch it be like 168 or some shit like that.

HUGS AND KISSES
Old 09-05-2013, 09:54 PM

^^^ see ya tomorrow....

i think if you have the rear seats out and the coils preloaded and all the 'nuts' lubed...it should be quick....
Old 09-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts

Then why do they have a "full stiff" setting???

I have had nothing but problems and unhappiness with my coils. I have contacted xlr8 and isc.

Either way. Do not buy the street comfort. They shouldn't even make these for our cars. There is enough dampening to offset a little stiffer spring of the sports.

But the weight ratings are equivalent to an Integra.

I just can't bring myself to dump $250 on new springs to get sport springs for these. And it's not really worth selling these used for a $250.00 loss just to go back into another set of $1000.00 coils that won't get me to the height that I want.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceja

I have had nothing but problems and unhappiness with my coils. I have contacted xlr8 and isc.

Either way. Do not buy the street comfort. They shouldn't even make these for our cars. There is enough dampening to offset a little stiffer spring of the sports.

I just can't bring myself to dump $250 on new springs to get sport springs for these. And it's not really worth selling these used for a $250.00 loss just to go back into another set of $1000.00 coils that won't get me to the height that I want.

What ISC is saying is 2 fold. They clearly state that the correct preload is 175mm. if you choose to deviate from this measurement do so at your own risk. On the other hand, yes, you should be able to roll around full stiff if that is an available setting, however I would think that it would shorten the length of your coils.

I will agree that they do not go low enough in the front. My fronts are laid the fuck out and I'm still about 24.5" ground to fender. I can go lower in the rear but not the front. Makes no sense at all to be able to lower the rears so much more than the front on these coils. Also, my preload is set at exactly 175mm so if I do want to mess with the front I will have to make my preload gap smaller then recommended which I will probably do. Maybe 2-3 more mm.

On a side note I purchased the Street/Sport and so far so good. No clunking at all. It's only been a day since the Tein's came off and these went on but they ride pretty good. I do have one issue though...

The rear passenger coil does make noise. It sounds like a turbo is whining up when I take long flowing left turns. Odd and I have no idea what is causing it. None of the other 3 corners make this noise.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:34 PM
10th Gear

It has never been brought to my attention that there was ever a height complaint with these. 3 inches of adjustability is generally the range.
http://iscsuspension-na.com/isc-susp...allery/page/4/
Those Acura TL's in the above images, are those to high for everyone's liking (they look slammed to me haha)?

Has everyone on here been taken care of? sauceja send me an email in regards to your springs if you get a chance or call us.
WE DO NOT GET PM's.

We want to make sure everyone is situated. Unfortently we do not have time to search every forum seeking people who need our help, so if you could contact us directly that would be much faster than forum posts or failed PM attempts.

PS- twigglius; check your wheel bearings or tires for any wear, a squealing or whining noise can often be related to that.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Im at 24" in the front and have slightly more room to go with 5mm preload set. My subframe is taking a beating on these dallas streets from being that low. I have a slight bit more I can adjust but 24" looks dam good.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 PM
10th Gear

In for a pic ^
Old 09-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sauceja

Well let's take care of this for you. As directed above please contact ISC via support@iscsuspension-na.com and CC us at sales@excelerateperformance.com
Old 09-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Here is a few I have since I replaced the springs and set the height again. Not the best but its all I got for now.
Attached Thumbnails ISC coilover issues-img_20130823_211706_238.jpg   ISC coilover issues-car.jpg  
Old 09-09-2013, 02:49 PM
10th Gear

Looks good!
Is that your desired height?
Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 PM

Looks good!
Is that your desired height?
Im not quite sure yet. Its def low enough for me, just a tad bit more if im feeling risky. Ill figure out where I want it once I get some 18" wheels. Its hard to decide where to set it up with the wheel/tire setup I have from the factory. Bigger wheels will make a difference where I can stretch slightly to avoid rubbing. I think they go low enough though. I mean, if you wanted to preload them more you can go lower if desired. But they ride fantastic the way it is with 5mm preload now. Just took a trip to Arkansas this past weekend 1000 mile trip through the mountains. Got nothing but compliments from riders on how smooth it was and how badass it handles
Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 PM
10th Gear

Great to hear your enjoying them, thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:55 AM

I have to say, I am impressed with the customer service....Josh (XLR8) has always done right by me and seems like ISC coming in here to chime just adds a cherry on the top....

With that said, I have ZERO issues with these coils, but yes, if you have to slam (pertains only to the front) you have to mess with the preload....I have installed several of these coils and the front are not "slam" friendly, but drop friendly....

Here is a pic on my car....PLEASE NOTE I have the Street Sport springs and my car is ~700lbs lighter than a regular TL....

Overall, am a happy camper since I dont want to slam the car....I like the preload, height and dampening adjust-ability of the coils....

now if only Josh can sponsor me, I can get some brakes and rims
Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 AM

I have to say, I am impressed with the customer service....Josh (XLR8) has always done right by me and seems like ISC coming in here to chime just adds a cherry on the top....

With that said, I have ZERO issues with these coils, but yes, if you have to slam (pertains only to the front) you have to mess with the preload....I have installed several of these coils and the front are not "slam" friendly, but drop friendly....

Here is a pic on my car....PLEASE NOTE I have the Street Sport springs and my car is ~700lbs lighter than a regular TL....

Overall, am a happy camper since I dont want to slam the car....I like the preload, height and dampening adjust-ability of the coils....

Anil, looking fresh man!

Im also very impressed with ISC and XLR8 for their help and input through these issues and cooperation. I have bought the XLR8 exhaust from Josh and it never brings anything but a smile when I see and hear it. Superb quality and sound.

SPONSOR SWOOSH hehe
swoosh (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback.

I can offer you something. It's not a full sponsorship though just FYI. But I can sweeten the pot for you in exchange for some advertising. Email me.
swoosh (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 01:45 PM

will send you an email when I get off work

Quick Reply: ISC coilover issues