Installed A-Spec suspension (review)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed A-Spec suspension (review)

Bought an A-spec suspension from www.acuraparts247.com for $700. I installed it this past weekend. Install was pretty straight forward only pain in the ass was taking the rear seat out, the shop manual pages that are in the garage section helped out a lot though. Also removing the top connection of the rear drop link made it easier to get the shock assembly out.

I measured the ride heights before I started and afterwards (after a few hours of settling and a 70 mile drive). Lowered the car about 3/4". Car looks good but is not slammed.

Before I talk about the handling I want to state a few things. Most people when reporting about a modification they did rave about how it was the end all, be all mod. I can understand that after someone has spent hard earned money they want it to be a dramatic improvement. That is human nature. I spend many weekends a year racing a Porsche 911 and we are constantly tinkering with the suspension set up to adjust for condition changes or specific tracks. I have gotten pretty good at being able to tell the difference between shock settings or even small changes in tire pressure, etc. So when I tell you guys how good the car feels now it is not just wishful thinking.

The worst thing about the stock suspension is the dampening control. It takes too long for the car to settle after going over a bump or a rise in the pavement. The A-spec controls this much better and as mentioned here before it may take one bounce to settle vs two or three. Ride is slightly stiffer, but it is hardly noticeable. My wife rode with me for a 200 mile round trip on the highway and she didn't notice any difference. The handling and roll control is much better, car feels more like a 5 series, which IMO is the best handling large sports sedan out there. I will install a Comptech rear sway bar soon and that should help the still excessive understeer, at least I hope it will. Also hoping the dealer will step up and put some Michelin's on the car, if not I will do that myself. The tires (EL42's) are the weakest link, nothing new but much more obvious now.

The alignment seems fine, you do not undo any of the arms or links that affect the settings, but since it was lowered I am going to have it checked out to make sure it is still within spec.

Bottom line is that this is a cheap upgrade and I highly recommend it. Coming from the Porsche world I was surprised how cheap this system is. A single shock for my Porsche is more expensive and that does not include springs or shock top mounts....

Anyway if you have any questions about install feel free to send me a PM.

Greg
Old 08-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Another great review here.

Will move to Suspension sub-forum on the weekend.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Advanced

great review. thanks. every bit helps me make the decison to do a-spec when i get my '05. good to hear that it feels a bit like the 5 series as this is my daily drive now.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great review! Thanks! I have a question that I would love to have answered! I had an 02 RSX Type S, and I put the Comptech springs on the car, and it was absolutely great for handling, but the ride was AWFUL!!!! I promised to never do this to another car again, especially my comfortable, smooth TL! I have a 6MT NBP and really want to get the better handling, and the better stance for the car, but do not want to have a car that you feel every bump in the road. Can you in detail tell me how much difference there is in ride quality with the suspension kit? Also, is it just new springs for the A-Spec kit, or is it more? Thanks!
Old 08-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Kid,
It is a no-brainer IMO.

Also one tool that made the rear seat removal easier was a racheting 10mm wrench to get the bolts on the upper portion of the seat back. It is blind and the "gear wrench" made this a 10 minute excercise. I had to lay on the rear seat platform and reach up to get access to those bolts. Maybe someone has a better way but I couldn't figure one out.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tlzx9
I have a 6MT NBP and really want to get the better handling, and the better stance for the car, but do not want to have a car that you feel every bump in the road. Can you in detail tell me how much difference there is in ride quality with the suspension kit? Also, is it just new springs for the A-Spec kit, or is it more? Thanks!
The kit consists of shocks, springs and shock top mounts. They are completely assembled and you just remove the old assembly and install these. No spring compressor required.

The TL is not the plushest car I have been in when compared to a Lexus or similar but it is far from harsh. If the stock suspension is a 9 on a 1-10 scale with 1 being very harsh, I would rate the A-spec at an 8 or 8.5 depending on the road. Imperfections in the pavement are slightly more noticeable but unless you drove the two suspensions back to back I would have had a hard time telling the difference. My wife sure couldn't and she drives my TL about 15% of the time. Suspension compliance is a pretty subjective issue so if you are concerned I would try to find someone local with the kit. I really don't think you can go wrong with it and if you do the install yourself it is a reasonably priced upgrade. I really think this suspension should be standard equipment.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
This is a great write-up. I'd love to do this mod as I agree about the "floatiness" of the suspension. Unfortunately, I have a new Corvette on order, and I just can't justify spending any more money on the TL at this time.

Thanks for your review.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:06 PM
2004 Acura TL SSM 6MT

GTFish... good review. Glad you got it in okay. It's a shame you don't have a 6MT instead so I can see if the improvement is worthwhile on the manual.

If I can ever get all the proper parts delivered to me for the body kit, maybe I'll go to the suspension set up next.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Another A-Spec suspension convert......very nice review. It details exactly what the A-Spec suspension is, and what it's not. Sounds a lot like my review, in fact. I'm also planning on the Comptech rear sway bar, but am not in a hurry to have it installed.

[soapbox]
ACURA, THE CAR NEEDS TO COME FROM THE FACTORY LIKE THIS.
[/soapbox]

Do you think they heard me?
Old 08-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GTFISH
The worst thing about the stock suspension is the dampening control. It takes too long for the car to settle after going over a bump or a rise in the pavement. The A-spec controls this much better and as mentioned here before it may take one bounce to settle vs two or three. Ride is slightly stiffer, but it is hardly noticeable. The handling and roll control is much better, car feels more like a 5 series, which IMO is the best handling large sports sedan out there. I will install a Comptech rear sway bar soon and that should help the still excessive understeer, at least I hope it will. Also hoping the dealer will step up and put some Michelin's on the car, if not I will do that myself. The tires (EL42's) are the weakest link, nothing new but much more obvious now.

GTFISH, Great review. You hit several nails on the head.
1) The stock shocks are way underdamped. Way too floaty, especially on rough roads and in aggressive driving.
2) Please give us a review on the Comptech rear bar when you get it installed.
3) Tires are a MAJOR weak link. I have the HPT's and they are not the greatest, but are tons better than the EL42's.
Lakeman
Old 08-17-2004, 01:53 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GTFISH
Kid,
It is a no-brainer IMO.

Also one tool that made the rear seat removal easier was a racheting 10mm wrench to get the bolts on the upper portion of the seat back. It is blind and the "gear wrench" made this a 10 minute excercise. I had to lay on the rear seat platform and reach up to get access to those bolts. Maybe someone has a better way but I couldn't figure one out.
Do you mean the ones that you access through the 'overlapped slit' in the back seat upholstery? Took me a while to figure that one out when I did mine!

Great review. Your observation match mine from when I installed on my 6MT.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Teins

Why pay $700 for A-spec suspension when Tein will have a coilover system for $1000? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I also checked the website for the Aspec suspension. It seems as though they don't the suspension listed. Am I the only person that notices this?
Old 08-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hondasaurus
Why pay $700 for A-spec suspension when Tein will have a coilover system for $1000? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I also checked the website for the Aspec suspension. It seems as though they don't the suspension listed. Am I the only person that notices this?
In my own reasons why I got the A-spec vs any other aftermarket setup -

A) I have had other aftermarket suspensions in my 3 other cars - they are great however it lowered it too much. For coilover's - yes you can adjust the height of the ride but i am sure that the shocks are not going to be readily be tuned precisly to your specified height but more of their spec for that smooth ride.

B) A-spec is OEM

C) Knowing the drop is only .5 made my worries go about that jarring ride. After all its OEM and knowing that I am sure they will not release a product for a higher performance spec to be worthless un-noticable kit.

I guess its all about your preference. I am happy with my choice. Please dont post about your preference and THEN question everyone else who got this kit , and state that it doesnt make sense. Like we did something wrong

Preference is a choice to each their own.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aegir
Do you mean the ones that you access through the 'overlapped slit' in the back seat upholstery? Took me a while to figure that one out when I did mine!

Great review. Your observation match mine from when I installed on my 6MT.
Yes those bolts. No way to access from the top had to reach from the bottom side of the seat back.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Instructor

I have no experience with the TEIN kit. Does it include the shock top mounts? Has anyone put this on their 04 TL? Results?

I just didn't want to be the R&D for another company and had a pretty good idea of what the A-spec kit would and wouldn't do. I don't need or want my Acura to be a race car or pretend to be one, I already have one race car and that is plenty. I wanted a controlled ride and noticeable improvement in handling. This kit delivered. The TEiN kit may be great, I just wasn't willing to take that gamble.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:43 AM
Acurazine Addict

Great review, very helpful. I have one question though, is there a different a-spec suspension for the 6-spd and 5at? Are there any major differences between the two?
Old 08-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Advanced

Preferences

Yes. It's true that it's really all about preference.

However, I'm looking at the price/performance value.

Secondly, the A-spec suspension is not OEM. It's considered aftermarket. If you ask your local dealer about warranty, they will tell you that it's not covered under the basic warranty if you purchase the suspension separately. Therefore, it's not technically considered OEM. In order for you to meet the basic warranty, it must be ordered as a complete A-spec package and installed by an authorized dealer.

If anyone finds this different, then please post. I've already asked Acura as well as the local dealers here in Southern CA when I wanted just the suspension and nothing else in the A-spec package.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Yes. It's true that it's really all about preference.

However, I'm looking at the price/performance value.

Secondly, the A-spec suspension is not OEM. It's considered aftermarket. If you ask your local dealer about warranty, they will tell you that it's not covered under the basic warranty if you purchase the suspension separately. Therefore, it's not technically considered OEM. In order for you to meet the basic warranty, it must be ordered as a complete A-spec package and installed by an authorized dealer.

If anyone finds this different, then please post. I've already asked Acura as well as the local dealers here in Southern CA when I wanted just the suspension and nothing else in the A-spec package.
Yeah it may not be warrantied but one thing the A-spec is is that its infact OEM - Its made by Honda. When it comes down to resale in about 4-5 years The A-spec is known to be a performance spec on the TL and still OEM vs and aftermarket suspension in which they ding you for if ever a trade in. Thats how they treated me in my trade in for the TL. I had aftermarket suspension and they stated if it was OEM it would of been ok. If they ever ask if I had it installed by an authorized installer my simple answer would be yes.
They will not question me since after all its OEM parts.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:14 AM