I Want My EL42s Back

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Want My EL42s Back

My dealer replaced the EL42s with RE030s and my car is not happy.
I have an early VIN and every rattle, squeak, chirp, crack and tap there is - 10 different sources (actually 11, but I turned the bass down so the rear speaker doesn't rattle).
With the EL42s, these were more sporatic but now it's a steady chorus.
They're noisy, harsh and I can feel a high pitched vibration through the steering wheel and gas pedal.
Are others experiencing the same thing?
Old 05-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Intermediate

New TL 2004 - Problems with interior noise

I have had my new TL in 4 times due to interior noise issues. Headliner, passenger side map compartment, rear deck and now the dash - looks to be a issue with the windshield wiper assembly - part is on nation wide backoreder so I bet there are a lot of people dealing with this. Acura has basically said, it is your car, you bought it, deal with it. I guess they don't really care about customer loyalty - If I had it to do over - I would not have purchased this car.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by qwestfor70
I have had my new TL in 4 times due to interior noise issues. Headliner, passenger side map compartment, rear deck and now the dash - looks to be a issue with the windshield wiper assembly - part is on nation wide backoreder so I bet there are a lot of people dealing with this. Acura has basically said, it is your car, you bought it, deal with it. I guess they don't really care about customer loyalty - If I had it to do over - I would not have purchased this car.
I know we are going to get flamed, but DITTO!
Old 05-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
You must be the first person to want the EL42s back. Seriously, I'm sorry to hear about the rattles. Arent the RE030s harder? This would make for more rattling. No excuse, though...your dealer should definitely step up to the plate to resolve the rattles, if you've got that many.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
You must be the first person to want the EL42s back. Seriously, I'm sorry to hear about the rattles. Arent the RE030s harder? This would make for more rattling. No excuse, though...your dealer should definitely step up to the plate to resolve the rattles, if you've got that many.
Actually my dealer has been very fair on the tire thing, but I believe they made a bad choice with the RE030 replacements. I'm not a performance driver and place a high priority on noise and comfort.
These RE030s are very harsh - I swear if you ran over a string you could feel it.
I'm sure they handle really well, but at 140 tread wear, the noise and the rattles they amplify, they're not the right choice for my car or my needs.
The only good news is that the dealer can't now say they don't hear the rattles - they're there constantly.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bluenoser,

Putting maximum performance tires on the TL is part of the problem. A high performance tire has it's tradeoffs when it comes to comfort. The RE030's are a good tire but they may be less comfortable riding than an EL-42.

It is something of a compromise with having a car as comfortablly appointed as the TL but then having very hard tires that make it handle like a Corvette but also ride like a Corvette.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadman
It is something of a compromise with having a car as comfortablly appointed as the TL but then having very hard tires that make it handle like a Corvette but also ride like a Corvette.
Anything, so long as they don't make it LOOK like a Corvette.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:26 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenoser
I have an early VIN and every rattle, squeak, chirp, crack and tap there is - 10 different sources (actually 11, but I turned the bass down so the rear speaker doesn't rattle).
Sorry about your troubles.

The chief mechanic of my ex-Honda dealer told me a long time ago to NEVER EVER buy the first 6 months production of any new design Honda or Acura vehicle. Guess he was 1000% right.

Good luck getting all the BS straightened out.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
who makes RE 30's ??
Old 05-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Acura has basically said, it is your car, you bought it, deal with it. I guess they don't really care about customer loyalty - If I had it to do over - I would not have purchased this car.
Amazing isn't it....
I can't speak to the new tires you have, but those noises shouldn't be happening on a car of this supposed class.

Alas but it has and they could care less......
I'm stuck with it for two more years then it's bye bye Acura and hello almost anything but a Chevy and the Korean makes.

I'm going to get flamed for this but I see a Ford back in my garage as I have never had this much trouble with one, statistics be damned they have been fantastic while this statistically better Acura has been utter crap.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zexi
who makes RE 30's ??
Bridgestone
Old 05-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Norse396
Amazing isn't it....
I can't speak to the new tires you have, but those noises shouldn't be happening on a car of this supposed class.

Alas but it has and they could care less......
I'm stuck with it for two more years then it's bye bye Acura and hello almost anything but a Chevy and the Korean makes.

I'm going to get flamed for this but I see a Ford back in my garage as I have never had this much trouble with one, statistics be damned they have been fantastic while this statistically better Acura has been utter crap.
Ditto! Back to Infinit for me!
Old 05-03-2004, 04:47 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

If you thought you didn't like the ride of the RE030's just wait about 25K miles (because with that soft a treadware rating you will be replacing them FAR sooner than the EL42's). I'm the exact opposite of you. Not a rattle in this car and LOVE the difference in performance (Did have dropping headliner syndrome but no noise). But then again I did come from a line of prior perfromance cars before this one. So far I can state un-equivicably that the Bridgestone RE030's are FAR quieter than the equivilant Michilen Pilot Sports. Those things REALLY Howled once they got worn down past 1/2 way. We will see if the RE030's noise level increases around 15K. In regards to an Infinite-pain... I certainly hope that they have gotten better because all of the older ones I've ever ridden in have been worse than a 67 beetle!
Old 05-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Cruisin'

I hate to ask the obvious, but...

Originally Posted by bluenoser
My dealer replaced the EL42s with RE030s and my car is not happy.
With the EL42s, these were more sporatic but now it's a steady chorus.
They're noisy, harsh and I can feel a high pitched vibration through the steering wheel and gas pedal.
Are others experiencing the same thing?
... did you check the tire pressures?
Old 05-04-2004, 07:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bwillis
... did you check the tire pressures?
Now that you mention it, I must admit I hadn't.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KeithL
I know we are going to get flamed, but DITTO!
Let them flame - I am putting this out there to try and get help for a real problem and I think regardless of how much one loves their TL, they would not flame the truth. For those of you who have dealt with this, is there any end in sight? I am just over 5 weeks in and see no end to this! Any suggestions on what to say to the Acura service to have a better chance at getting these issues resolved?