I want the Brembo Look. Please help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want the Brembo Look. Please help...

I am basically ignorant when it comes to this topic, but I was at an Acura dealership last week and saw that a Manual TL (Aspec) had brake assemblies different than mine. I REALLY liked the look with the Black assembly and Acura decal. My brake assembly is just a flat metal. THe parts guy told me those were Brembo brake assemblies installed on the manual's only. Is this really the case b/c I was under the impression my automatic had upgraded brakes as well?

Is there anything aftermaket that will give me the look without having to drop the $ for all the necesary parts for the Brembo's?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Racer

yes the 6mt has brembo's i believe they are .2 inches bigger in the front, the back i know is the same. Im not sure wear to upgrade because ur not going to get much out of your old brakes.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
You won't be able to get the OEM braking system on your 5AT TL... However you can go aftermarket and it will give you the performace and look.

There is a Brembo aftermarket kit for the automatic TL, which is about $2000-$3000 (can be found on www.comptechusa.com and www.tirerack.com)
Rotora is another company that also makes a kit for the automatic TL, I am not sure on the price. www.rotora.com
Stoptech is your 3rd choice, I know it was in development, but it may be done by now and ready to order. www.stoptech.com

Some of these sites may not have the 3rd Gen TL listed, but you can call them and they can give you the information on the product and their part numbers.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are BBK available but you're gonna shell out a l'il bit of $$. Click here to get an idea of cost. You might wanna check ebay also or shop around online for possibly better deals. One of the members got a kit (Jatt) but I don't remember the cost. As far as the Aspec is concerned, you have the upgraded pads. They work just as well stopping the car and much less brake dust than Brembos. Another option would be to paint your calipers which a number of members have done. Do a search on this.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
There are BBK available but you're gonna shell out a l'il bit of $$. Click here to get an idea of cost. You might wanna check ebay also or shop around online for possibly better deals. One of the members got a kit (Jatt) but I don't remember the cost. As far as the Aspec is concerned, you have the upgraded pads. They work just as well stopping the car and much less brake dust than Brembos. Another option would be to paint your calipers which a number of members have done. Do a search on this.
Not much more to add here, except to say that I believe the Rotora BBK costs around $1,200-$1,400.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Safety Car

stoptech kit is gonna probably come in at around 1700-1800 judging by the price of the previous gen TL. i would go with the stoptech if available they make some awesome brakes kits.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You could also buy some brake caliper paint and paint them black. I plan on doing that when it gets warmer. It's about $25 compared to the thousands other mentioned.

Joe
Old 03-23-2005, 03:31 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Do you know what sort of "upgraded pads" the A-Spec kit comes with? I'd be interested in finding out whether it's something I can easily buy aftermarket.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I know a lot of 350Z owners and others are big on Stoptech, just gotta wait for their application to be released!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Stoptech BBK is available for the 5AT TL

http://www.stoptech.com/catalog/Stop...5%20rev119.pdf
Old 03-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Registered VTEC junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Brembos are cool but I don't like all the brake dust. It's just too much. Does anyone know of any brake pads that have less brake dust than the stock ones?
Old 03-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Stoptech BBK is available for the 5AT TL

http://www.stoptech.com/catalog/Stop...5%20rev119.pdf
yeah i figured they had a kit already, if i was shopping for a kit i would definitely get these over the brembo and the rotoras. stoptech's are known for their performance just like brembo. but at 1800 vs 2300 i would choose the stoptech over the brembos. for the extra 4-5 hundred over the rotoras i would go with the stoptechs again because of proven performance. there was a huge thread before explaining the differences in kits between the rotora, brembo and stoptech brakes.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by caball88
yeah i figured they had a kit already, if i was shopping for a kit i would definitely get these over the brembo and the rotoras. stoptech's are known for their performance just like brembo. but at 1800 vs 2300 i would choose the stoptech over the brembos. for the extra 4-5 hundred over the rotoras i would go with the stoptechs again because of proven performance. there was a huge thread before explaining the differences in kits between the rotora, brembo and stoptech brakes.
I believe this was the post about the Brake Swap and contains a lot of info as well as some pros and cons on the different manufacturers. Good read but lengthy - approx 5 pages.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dont get a BBK ... I am having a VERY hard time finding wheels that I like that ACTUALLY fit over my huge brakes! Arg!
Old 03-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cTLgo
You won't be able to get the OEM braking system on your 5AT TL... However you can go aftermarket and it will give you the performace and look.

I contacted Acura of Las Vegas, after seeing an add from them on Ebay. They quoted $950.00 SHIPPED for the complete factory 6sp Brembo front setup. They said it is a common upgrade and the only thing I would have to do is get the larger spare tire to fit over the larger brakes. Planning on ordering this system next week.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:32 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by Scott P.
I contacted Acura of Las Vegas, after seeing an add from them on Ebay. They quoted $950.00 SHIPPED for the complete factory 6sp Brembo front setup. They said it is a common upgrade and the only thing I would have to do is get the larger spare tire to fit over the larger brakes. Planning on ordering this system next week.
Thats not that bad at all. Do any of these brake kits (aftermarket or from the 6mt) require a master cyclinder rework? If not I wonder if the 6spd setup could used on the rear of the car as well. I would love to dump the standard caliper in favor of matching Brembos. I thought I recalled reading somewhere that due to the fact these were 2 pistons setups, that it could not be done.

Anyone?
Old 03-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Shift_faster

I didn't think this was possible. If there is more information, please let us know. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:28 AM
Safety Car

I would do a some more research on this swap and it will probably entail a bit more work (and maybe more $) than you perceive. Check this thread on Brake Upgrades specifically post #14. It's not a common upgrade - if it was there would have been threads/posts on this topic. And for under a 1K, believe me, a lot of members w/5AT would jump at the oppurtunity to upgrade.

Big brake kits from 3rd party companies such as Rotora, Stop Tech and Brembo start at about $1500. Click here to see how much Brembo BBK cost. This is what is included with the Brembos.
Kits are front-only system with one or two-piece (2 pc are noted) cross-drilled vented discs or slotted with anti-corrosive cadmium plating. Mounts floating style to vehicle specific billet aluminum bell. Brembo engineered and machined two-piece cast aluminum caliper. itted with four sequentially sized aluminum pistons, dusts seals and anti-rattle clip. Also included, complete axel set of high performance pads and DOT/TÜ approved stainless steel brake lines. Aircraft quality mounting brackets and hardware complete this system. All Brembo high performance brake systems are ABS compatible and retain the stock master cylinder.