I BADLY NEED THE ASSISTANCE OF FELLOW FORUM TL'rs...ASPEC RIMS NOT FITTING?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 01:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I BADLY NEED THE ASSISTANCE OF FELLOW FORUM TL'rs...ASPEC RIMS NOT FITTING?!

Ok well heres my story, so bear with me....I bought these rims from eBay

link is here

Well the description was 18'' 04-06 Acura TL chrome wheels, and indeed as you can see from the pictures, these rims do look like the aspec chrome look rims in 18x8. On a impulse I promptly purchase these wheels.

So today when I finally had enough money to get some tires and have the wheels put on at my local Americas Tire chain store, they told me that the wheels didn't fit!!! I was in disbelief, I told them to check it again, and expressed to them that these were indeed TL rims, etc etc. But when they showed me how they didn't fit I was shocked!! They bolts or whatever you call them didn't align perfectly....

The tire guy and I looked behind the rim and it did indeed have the words/lettering of enkei, honda motors japan, 18x8 and the acrynom "JSA". The tire guy told me that the wheel was very likely from Japan, and for domestic Japanese vehicles, which have a slightly different bolt pattern measurements or something. He recalled one other case with a person trying to put a Japanese wheel, and it not fitting.

So now I am basically stuck with these glorified paper weights, and greatly dissapointed. What I want to ask everyone is, could this really happen? Or is what the tire guy telling me true? Could these wheels simply be Japanese Honda wheels with Acura caps in them? If so, they sure do look like the ASPEC wheels that enkei makes for us.....could this be considered false advertising? This company on eBay does specialize in rims, and they did indicate 04-06 Acura TL wheels, so they probably should know what they are doing, right?

Anyone else been in this situation? Please help me guys, any advice would be helpful

The tire guy said something about .7 or 7 something millimeters off
Old 09-10-2006, 02:18 AM
Instructor

They could be Acura RL rims because the A-Spec ones on the RL looks exactly the same as the TL ones except the RL ones has a slightly different bolt pattern. I cannot recall the exact bolt pattern but it is not 5 X 114.3. The TL ones should be 5 X 114.3 but the RL ones are like 5 x 115 or something???

Also after 2004 MY the A-Spec TL rims don't come in 18 x 8 but instead 18 x 7 or 7.5. Not too sure on that but I know for sure it's not a 8 inch width for the 05 A-spec rims for the TL.

Just take it to the dealer and ask them if they will switch them for you. Provided that these rims that you have are brand new right??
Old 09-10-2006, 02:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GPerlInspire
They could be Acura RL rims because the A-Spec ones on the RL looks exactly the same as the TL ones except the RL ones has a slightly different bolt pattern. I cannot recall the exact bolt pattern but it is not 5 X 114.3. The TL ones should be 5 X 114.3 but the RL ones are like 5 x 115 or something???

Also after 2004 MY the A-Spec TL rims don't come in 18 x 8 but instead 18 x 7 or 7.5. Not too sure on that but I know for sure it's not a 8 inch width for the 05 A-spec rims for the TL.

Just take it to the dealer and ask them if they will switch them for you. Provided that these rims that you have are brand new right??
No they are not new, hence the cheap price........your 2004 aspec rims are actually 8.5 i believe and in the following years they were changed to 8.....good deduction, they COULD be 18 inch RL aspec rims but were falsely advertised as TL rims!! OMG i hope this isn't the case....that would suck badly, although it would help in my argument with the seller. Anyone got pics of RL ASPEC rims??
Old 09-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Yea thats the only possiblity stated above. You got the RL a-spec rims which has a 5x120 bolt pattern and the TL has a 5x114.3.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by whatjones911
Yea thats the only possiblity stated above. You got the RL a-spec rims which has a 5x120 bolt pattern and the TL has a 5x114.3.

I suppose the only way to confirm this is to bring it to the dealer? or are there other tell-tale signs that I sold be looking for which distinguish RL and TL aspec rims?
Old 09-10-2006, 02:44 AM
Instructor

Yup... the bolt pattern and possibly the offset is the only differences between Aspec RL and Aspec TL rims.
RL = 5 x 120
TL =5x 114.3

Perhaps resell them on Ebay?
Old 09-10-2006, 02:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GPerlInspire
Yup... the bolt pattern and possibly the offset is the only differences between Aspec RL and Aspec TL rims.
RL = 5 x 120
TL =5x 114.3

Perhaps resell them on Ebay?
Well first I'm going to let me grievances be known to the seller, who is pretty reputable, and it might have been an honest mistake since both RL and TL ones look the same. Going to have to see what he says, or wants to do; but chances look slim since the listing indicates "all sales final"; even if it was the case it was falsely advertised though so......I got my fingers crossed

If he just brushes me off, then I will give bad feedback, make a formal complaint with eBay and see what rights I do have in light of the buyers "all sales final" policy.

In the mean time.....ANYONE INTERESTED IN BUYING RL ASPEC RIMS?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:12 AM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The seller should fix the situation misrepresented the item as he sold you! In fact it is completely unusable as he stated.

If he is not going to fix the situation file a complaint through Ebay and if you paid by credit card dispute the charge with them. Move quickly because Ebay only gives you 30 days!

You may have to eat the shipping even though it is the sellers fault.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by x420actionx
In the mean time.....ANYONE INTERESTED IN BUYING RL ASPEC RIMS?

take it to black market when you're ready, you can link to the thread from here if you like.

good luck
Old 09-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by clsdave
The seller should fix the situation misrepresented the item as he sold you! In fact it is completely unusable as he stated.

If he is not going to fix the situation file a complaint through Ebay and if you paid by credit card dispute the charge with them. Move quickly because Ebay only gives you 30 days!

You may have to eat the shipping even though it is the sellers fault.

Good luck!
Thanks for the input, I gotta get the ball rolling with eBay then even though he hasnt responded, probably won't until Monday. And also, I paid with credit card through paypal, and I believe that may be protected by them also, I have to check....
Old 09-10-2006, 07:38 PM
8th Gear

you will have a good case with ebay/paypal..if he never mentioned the bolt pattern in the ebay ad.... if he specified that the wheels are for 04-06 acura tl... and nothing about size, offset or bolt pattern..you should have it locked up... because you can tell paypal/ebay..that he stated which vehicle the wheels were for, and i (you) bought them according to his statement, and they are not the correct bolt pattern, and there should be no problem, as long as the wheels are not damaged...
Old 09-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Retired and Loving It

Wow, thats really bad luck. Those are probably 05/06 RL wheels. I've had the same problem before on ebay.

You should contact the seller first and see what he'll do. If he balks, file a complaint through ebay/Paypal. Last let your credit card company know. Ebay doesn't like you to do that but the card co will follow up with a claim and get you a credit. It may take a month or two though.

If you get stuck with them, let me know, I may be interested in buying them. They should fit my 05 TL.

Good Luck
Old 09-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
Wow, thats really bad luck. Those are probably 05/06 RL wheels. I've had the same problem before on ebay.

You should contact the seller first and see what he'll do. If he balks, file a complaint through ebay/Paypal. Last let your credit card company know. Ebay doesn't like you to do that but the card co will follow up with a claim and get you a credit. It may take a month or two though.

If you get stuck with them, let me know, I may be interested in buying them. They should fit my 05 TL.

Good Luck

REALLY? How would they fit your 05' TL? the 04's and 05's have the same wheel fitments/bolt pattern correct? Unless the 05's have 5 X 120's...
Old 09-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Retired and Loving It

Sorry, I meant to say my 05 RL. I'm an older guy you know------- DUUUUUH!
Old 09-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Instructor

Sorry, I meant to say my 05 RL. I'm an older guy you know------- DUUUUUH!
LOL, yea that would've been my second guess, from the picture in your avatar
Old 09-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Retired and Loving It

I'm not the greatest on this keyboard. I'm surprised I don't make more mistakes.

Have you contacted the seller yet?

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:56 AM
Instructor

I'm not the greatest on this keyboard. I'm surprised I don't make more mistakes.

Have you contacted the seller yet?

Keep us posted on your progress.
Yes I have, I sent the emails on sunday night....he got back to me today; first indicating that he glanced at my emails and will read it in detail later, the second had "HI I'LL BE HONEST I HOPE TO LOOK INTO IT TOMORROW IVE BEEN BUSY AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO HANDLE IT CORRECTLY THANKS MARK".....

So its still up in air whether or not, the result will be in my favor.....he could just be giving me the run around, we'll see..

Thanks for all the input guys!! To be continued...
Old 09-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Things dont look so good so far; guy was supposed to get back to me today but he didn't....so I officially submitted this case to eBay dispute resolution center tonite..
Old 09-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Things dont look so good so far; guy was supposed to get back to me today but he didn't....so I officially submitted this case to eBay dispute resolution center tonite..
If the appropriate "muscle" is required, you might remind him about how easy it would be for this negative experience to propagate through the numerous internet auto forums, complete with a screen shot of the auction that clearly states the wheels were for an Acura TL, not an RL. That just can't be good for business.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:10 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I think you have a case...

No they are not new, hence the cheap price........your 2004 aspec rims are actually 8.5 i believe and in the following years they were changed to 8.....good deduction, they COULD be 18 inch RL aspec rims but were falsely advertised as TL rims!! OMG i hope this isn't the case....that would suck badly, although it would help in my argument with the seller. Anyone got pics of RL ASPEC rims??
The seller does look like a dealer and would probably make things right but they ARE falsely advertising them as "Acura wheels" when in fact, they are not Acura but rather are Einkle. Not a big thing in itself but DEFNITELY mis-represented. Hope they take care of you (on their dime).
Old 09-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb

Ok well heres my story, so bear with me....I bought these rims from eBay

link is here

Well the description was 18'' 04-06 Acura TL chrome wheels, and indeed as you can see from the pictures, these rims do look like the aspec chrome look rims in 18x8. On a impulse I promptly purchase these wheels.

So today when I finally had enough money to get some tires and have the wheels put on at my local Americas Tire chain store, they told me that the wheels didn't fit!!! I was in disbelief, I told them to check it again, and expressed to them that these were indeed TL rims, etc etc. But when they showed me how they didn't fit I was shocked!! They bolts or whatever you call them didn't align perfectly....

The tire guy and I looked behind the rim and it did indeed have the words/lettering of enkei, honda motors japan, 18x8 and the acrynom "JSA". The tire guy told me that the wheel was very likely from Japan, and for domestic Japanese vehicles, which have a slightly different bolt pattern measurements or something. He recalled one other case with a person trying to put a Japanese wheel, and it not fitting.

So now I am basically stuck with these glorified paper weights, and greatly dissapointed. What I want to ask everyone is, could this really happen? Or is what the tire guy telling me true? Could these wheels simply be Japanese Honda wheels with Acura caps in them? If so, they sure do look like the ASPEC wheels that enkei makes for us.....could this be considered false advertising? This company on eBay does specialize in rims, and they did indicate 04-06 Acura TL wheels, so they probably should know what they are doing, right?

Anyone else been in this situation? Please help me guys, any advice would be helpful

The tire guy said something about .7 or 7 something millimeters off

you Son of gun, it was u who beat me to these and the only reason i didnt bid on them intime was because i had asked him and he had stated that these came off an Acura RL. thank god i didn't buy them.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by INSPIRE 32V
you Son of gun, it was u who beat me to these and the only reason i didnt bid on them intime was because i had asked him and he had stated that these came off an Acura RL. thank god i didn't buy them.
Wow really? Thats funny.... So he did know they came of an RL!!; regardless of the fact that I didn't ask him beforehand, he still didn't bother to correct the title of the listing which was for 18'' Acura TL wheels, I didn't bother to think that they were not, no reason to......
Old 09-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Update: Seller wrote "when will you be able to send the wheels back i cant issue credit or do anything til i get them back."

In addition they wanted to inspect them, etc etc. I send message to seller saying I prefer not to pay shipping to him, he hasn't responded; but I'm going to send them back to him anyways, hopefully they don't give me some BS that the wheels are in worse condition than they were and give me less money, doubt it though.

I think the only thing they can do is to give my money back, I don't think there is any other course of action, other than them acquiring actual 18'' TL ASPEC chromes which I seriously doubt..
Old 09-13-2006, 04:50 PM
www.seattlewhips.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update: Seller wrote "when will you be able to send the wheels back i cant issue credit or do anything til i get them back."

In addition they wanted to inspect them, etc etc. I send message to seller saying I prefer not to pay shipping to him, he hasn't responded; but I'm going to send them back to him anyways, hopefully they don't give me some BS that the wheels are in worse condition than they were and give me less money, doubt it though.

I think the only thing they can do is to give my money back, I don't think there is any other course of action, other than them acquiring actual 18'' TL ASPEC chromes which I seriously doubt..
sorry man.. i'd just sell them on AZ in the black market
Old 09-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jennarocks
sorry man.. i'd just sell them on AZ in the black market
gonna give him till tommorow to see if he'll pay for shipping, if not then perhaps black market here i come
Old 09-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Yea Sell Black Market, then give him a bad report on ebay.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Retired and Loving It

gonna give him till tommorow to see if he'll pay for shipping, if not then perhaps black market here i come
Keep us up to speed on your dealings with this seller. If you get stuck with them I'm interested, as I said they should fit my wife's 05 RL. I've just got to sell her on the idea!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Instructor

Keep us up to speed on your dealings with this seller. If you get stuck with them I'm interested, as I said they should fit my wife's 05 RL. I've just got to sell her on the idea!
Good to know Ernie
Old 09-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Arrow wheels

resell the wheels on craigslist,acurazine or ebay , you can easily get double your money back.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TypeAcuraTL
resell the wheels on craigslist,acurazine or ebay , you can easily get double your money back.
I'm not sure about my money back but probably at least some sort of profit hopefully, gonna start posting Ads if the guy doesnt respond to me today regarding them paying the shipping costs
Old 09-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Didnt you say you got new tires for the rims? If that is the case, even if the guy refunds you money and pay for shipping you will still be stuck with the tires...black market would get you all the return for you investment, if you sell with wheels and tires.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by scrb09
Didnt you say you got new tires for the rims? If that is the case, even if the guy refunds you money and pay for shipping you will still be stuck with the tires...black market would get you all the return for you investment, if you sell with wheels and tires.
Yes, I did get tires, at my local America's Tire. But when they tried to put them on, we realized that the rims wouldn't fit, and the rest is history. Luckily I was able to return them right then and there; incidentally they were 245/40 kumho spt's

I think i might be better off selling them by myself at Black Market, perhaps, locally or within CA, so I wouldn't get raped on the shipping to Michigan where the seller is; that is too bad though, I want retribution!!
bad feedback is just a slap on the wrist IMO, especially if he is dodging my question on whether he will cover my shipping!!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ndabunka
The seller does look like a dealer and would probably make things right but they ARE falsely advertising them as "Acura wheels" when in fact, they are not Acura but rather are Einkle. Not a big thing in itself but DEFNITELY mis-represented. Hope they take care of you (on their dime).
Our stock TL wheels are made from Enkei.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Instructor

how bout wheels spacers? my friend said I could use them to make them fit on my TL is this possible? never heard of "wheel spacers" before
Old 09-14-2006, 05:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how bout wheels spacers? my friend said I could use them to make them fit on my TL is this possible? never heard of "wheel spacers" before
yes. I have them on mine
Old 09-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Retired and Loving It

They would have to be adapter spacers. They would adapt from 114.3mm x 5 to 120mm x 5. These aren't exactly what you need but they should look like these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5x114...27145716QQrdZ1

Personally I wouldn't use these
Old 09-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Instructor

They would have to be adapter spacers. They would adapt from 114.3mm x 5 to 120mm x 5. These aren't exactly what you need but they should look like these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5x114...27145716QQrdZ1

Personally I wouldn't use these

I know what you mean....besides i dont think I can make them into 5x120's; dont believe they exist.

So Ernie......any word on what the wife thinks? Its looking like this guy is trying to dodge my shipping costs, so I'm thinking of selling locally or within CA at least..
Old 09-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Instructor

New update: Seller would not admit his fault in the matter, much less pay for my shipping to him, even had the nerve to say that he paid shipping to me, but this was not the case as I paid for shipping as part of the auction!! Below is his message to me...

HI OUR ADDRESS IS 30140 **** ******* ***** MI **** SHIPPING I PAID SHIPPING THERE I WOULD LIKE YOU TO PAY BACK BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY DONT FIT THEY CAME OF A TL SO I AM DOING A REFUND CAUSE I BELIEVE YOU ARE HAVING A PROBLEM AND I FEEL I SHOULD DO THAT FOR YOU.
THANKS

As you can see he also says they came off a TL??? URG!! I have a 2004 TL, I dont understand why he keeps on emphasizing that it is for TL's. I would be happy to not go through this trouble and put these wheels on, geez.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by INSPIRE 32V
Hey Inspire,

You wouldn't still have that email that he responded to you for these wheels would you? Since he is arguing that they came off TL's to me, while he told you that they came off an RL.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:14 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

New update: Seller would not admit his fault in the matter, much less pay for my shipping to him, even had the nerve to say that he paid shipping to me, but this was not the case as I paid for shipping as part of the auction!! Below is his message to me...

HI OUR ADDRESS IS 30140 **** ******* ***** MI **** SHIPPING I PAID SHIPPING THERE I WOULD LIKE YOU TO PAY BACK BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY DONT FIT THEY CAME OF A TL SO I AM DOING A REFUND CAUSE I BELIEVE YOU ARE HAVING A PROBLEM AND I FEEL I SHOULD DO THAT FOR YOU.
THANKS

As you can see he also says they came off a TL??? URG!! I have a 2004 TL, I dont understand why he keeps on emphasizing that it is for TL's. I would be happy to not go through this trouble and put these wheels on, geez.
Why don't you just tell him that it appears that he got his information wrong as the tire shop you took these too says that they are the RL wheels and have the 5x120 bolt pattern. Get him to acknowledge that and for him to "pay shipping back to him because you funded the shipping to get them to you". You will still be out the order side of the shipping but at least this way, he will cover the return costs.