Help Picking Out New Tires (235/45/17)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011 | 03:35 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Talking Help Picking Out New Tires (235/45/17)

Hey guys, haven't been over here in awhile as I frequent the audio section...but I need some new tires and I know nothing haha. I was wondering if I could get some help on which are best for my situation and climate. I live in Oklahoma where it's can 120 and then snowing the next day. We don't get "too" much snow but it'll come 2-3 times every winter. I'm sure a dry/wet tire will be fine. I'm also a college student and don't drive a ton but I'd like a quiet ride that will last me and not cost an arm and a leg. I don't need a performance tire as I don't plan on doing any kind of performance stuff to the TL. Also, it seems like I need a bunch of stuff done soon so I don't want to use up all kinds of money on the tires. I'll be needing tires, new pads/resurface rotors, battery (big one for audio too!) and oil change within the next week. That's why I'm here...b/c I know you all know the in's and out's and can help me quickly.

Here's 235/45/17 on DiscountTire.com as they are local and I'm sure they're the cheapest...right?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tog...fcb=*&sw=false

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see a lot of chatter about the Conti DW/DWS (not sure which is better) but they look like they can be had for $140ish per tire. Not too shabby I guess if it's going to last me a LONG time. Right now I have Yokahama Avid w4s and, it might be that they are getting bald or the alignment, but I find them to be a little noisy for speeds over 40-45mph. Anyways...thank for the helps guys!
Old 10-28-2011 | 04:02 PM
Safety Car

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...=OKOINT&cs=235

DWS. no questions asked.

---

maybe this will help you weigh out your options

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
Old 10-28-2011 | 06:22 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

^ Ah sweet. Thanks
Old 10-28-2011 | 07:25 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

you get snow? then the DWS. unless you have winter tire/wheel set up then DW will suffice.

i've had the DWS on my car for a year now about 6-7k mi so far. i likey. handles well in wet stuff (rain and snow) for an all season. dry handling is good. cornering is not as firm (the noted soft sidewall) as other tires, but for a daily driver with occasional spirited runs...the DWS seemingly handles itself well.

i've had toyo proxies (good tires, decent snow capabilities, and good in rain/dry). they lasted about 30k mi which lead me to -->good years....bleah. sucked. treadwear was crap. (<9k mi and 12 mos) started out good, but quickly went south with every passing mile. stay away from any good years. the conti's still look brand new in terms of treadwear after a year. happy with them so far.

many others on here are quite pleased with them too.
Old 10-28-2011 | 08:34 PM
Team Owner

TM, you get snow in Norman-go for the DWS. I love mine.
Old 10-28-2011 | 09:26 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I'll check pricing on both of them locally. I really appreciate it guys!!
Old 10-29-2011 | 12:59 AM
KingKong_Dav

dont compromise, get Michelin PSS
Old 10-29-2011 | 05:57 PM
Cruisin'

Cooper RS3-A is another good option without the heavy price tag!!
Old 10-30-2011 | 09:19 AM
Advanced

I still have the Michelins that came on my car, but with as much good stuff as I have read on here about the DW and DWS, I will get those when the time comes.
Old 10-30-2011 | 11:24 AM
Registered but harmless

My TL is running the Yokohama Advan S.4 all-seasons-- they seem as quiet as the OEM MXM4's on asphalt, but slightly noisier on rough concrete and grooved surfaces. At @ 35K+ miles, the S.4 has more grip/traction than the MXM4s and can last another 25K+ miles.

I'm in SoCal, so I'm probably trying summer tires next time-- maybe the PS2 or its successor.
Old 10-30-2011 | 02:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kingkong_dav
You obviously missed that he has to deal with winter weather. Even without snow, the temps there are plenty cold enough to dictate that you should not be using true summer tires in the winter there.

To the OP: Most of the reviews of the DWS are good. Some complain about the soft sidewalls. I have Pilot Sports and they handle the occasional snow just fine. Determine what is important to you and read the other reviews. So many options, choices, and opinions on here on what you should buy. If lower price but good all-season is important, then go DWS. If being able to sling the car around turns at stupidly high speeds, then check out the Pilot Sports or the RE960 to name a few although those cost more than the DWS and will probably give up a bit snow traction for better dry handling.

If you want smooth and quiet, then stick with the OE tires. My next set (hopefully not for at least 2 more years) will either be the Turanza Serenity or the DWS. Just depends on what is around at that point in time.
The following users liked this post:
Bearcat94 (10-30-2011)
Old 10-30-2011 | 02:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by kingkong_dav

This VV

Originally Posted by Jackass
You obviously missed that he has to deal with winter weather. Even without snow, the temps there are plenty cold enough to dictate that you should not be using true summer tires in the winter there.

Not to mention the Michelins (PSS or AS Plus) are probably out of the price range.

Once temps get below ~40 degress, the DW (or any dry/wet summer tire) will drop of in traction very quickly. Get an all season.

For what you (Trunk Monkey) are describing, get the Conti DWS and call it a day.
Old 10-30-2011 | 02:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jackass

To the OP: Most of the reviews of the DWS are good. Some complain about the soft sidewalls. I have Pilot Sports and they handle the occasional snow just fine. Determine what is important to you and read the other reviews. So many options, choices, and opinions on here on what you should buy. If lower price but good all-season is important, then go DWS. If being able to sling the car around turns at stupidly high speeds, then check out the Pilot Sports or the RE960 to name a few although those cost more than the DWS and will probably give up a bit snow traction for better dry handling.

If you want smooth and quiet, then stick with the OE tires. My next set (hopefully not for at least 2 more years) will either be the Turanza Serenity or the DWS. Just depends on what is around at that point in time.

I would not go for Turanza Serenity's they do make some annoying noise the type when your blowing air over an empty bottle. The noise comes and goes but gets worse at high speeds and on coarse pavement. I bought these tires few months ago in June and now I just wish I would've never bought these tires.
Old 10-30-2011 | 04:38 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

^ that's what I'm getting now. At high speeds, it's a high pitched noise that is just annoying and takes away from the luxury. Plus I don't want to hear anything but my system or my girl in the passenger seat.........but mainly my system lol.

I'll check out an all season like the DWS (DW if I can't get the snow one) and the Cooper RS3/Yoko Advan, etc. thanks again everyone
Old 10-30-2011 | 06:20 PM
Raconteur and Provocateur

Alternative to the Conti DWS that has served me well on several cars is the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position. Just got a set on Saturday on my TL after having them on an Integra, TSX, and Legend. They have recently been replaced by the RE970s, but you can still find sets of the 960s around. VERY highly rated by owners at Tire Rack. Great wet traction and do well in regular snow.
Old 10-30-2011 | 07:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
^ that's what I'm getting now. At high speeds, it's a high pitched noise that is just annoying and takes away from the luxury. Plus I don't want to hear anything but my system or my girl in the passenger seat.........but mainly my system lol.

I'll check out an all season like the DWS (DW if I can't get the snow one) and the Cooper RS3/Yoko Advan, etc. thanks again everyone

Are the Yokohama's the one's you have directional type tires? Kinda like this: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....20Transmission
Old 10-30-2011 | 09:03 PM
Early Shifter

Whatever you do stay away from these, I have Ventus V4ES's on my TL and gawd are they noisy. Sucks, aside from the noise they're a very sporty all season with really confident wet/dry handling. That being said they have ~70% tread and I'm trying to live with the noise as long as I can, I hate replacing things for no reason. lol

I'm not sure if all Hankooks have this issue but the above mentioned model surely does.
Old 10-31-2011 | 09:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
Whatever you do stay away from these, I have Ventus V4ES's on my TL and gawd are they noisy. Sucks, aside from the noise they're a very sporty all season with really confident wet/dry handling. That being said they have ~70% tread and I'm trying to live with the noise as long as I can, I hate replacing things for no reason. lol

I'm not sure if all Hankooks have this issue but the above mentioned model surely does.

I am starting to think that tires with some sort of directional tread pattern are just noisy no matter how good the ride quality is or how it is rated...
Old 11-04-2011 | 06:30 PM
Pro

I have the 235/45R17 Continental DWS and they are prone to flat-spotting. I have the air pressure set @ 35F/32R and it's still an issue. However, I've definitely liked them after getting them roadforce balanced properly by a competent tech. I had to get 2 replacements from Discount Tire Direct because of excessive roadforce; my current set has minimal roadforce variation.

For comparison, the stickiest tires I have ever driven on are the Hankook v12 Evos. These DWS tires definitely do not have as much grip around corners or as sharp of turn-in (improved @ 35F psi). However, they should last a lot longer and be more comfortable for daily driving.