FALKEN Ziex 512's - 1st Day Report

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 09:41 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Thumbs up FALKEN Ziex 512's - 1st Day Report

Today, I finally did it!

All I have to say to those of you still riding on the Acura supplied Bullshitstone EL-42's:
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MISSING!

These tires completely change the handling/cornering characteristics of this car. There's substantially less effort in taking the simplest of turns. This weekend I'll up in the country on winding roads and report back, which I'm sure will be the same.

There's good reason Consumer Reports picks these as their top choice for all season high performance tires.
And they're about ½ the price of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's.

Spend the $400 and change. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Today, I finally did it!

All I have to say to those of you still riding on the Acura supplied Bullshitstone EL-42's:

These tires completely change the handling/cornering characteristics of this car. There's substantially less effort in taking the simplest of turns. This weekend I'll up in the country on winding roads and report back, which I'm sure will be the same.

There's good reason Consumer Reports picks these as their top choice for all season high performance tires.

Thanks for that review!

Are you sure these are all-seasons that will have equal or better traction in ice and snow?

I'm dying to replace the Bridestones based on your feedback, but I can't lose the safety in the winter...

Please let me know.

Also.....are these quieter than the Bridgestones? Or does the handling improvement come at the expense of a quiet ride?

BJ
Old 05-27-2004, 10:00 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by boltjames
Thanks for that review!

Are you sure these are all-seasons that will have equal or better traction in ice and snow?

I'm dying to replace the Bridestones based on your feedback, but I can't lose the safety in the winter...

Please let me know.

Also.....are these quieter than the Bridgestones? Or does the handling improvement come at the expense of a quiet ride?

BJ
To answer your questions:

Old 05-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I should've bought the tires during the winter to answer your question, BJ. Those who did purchase at that time indicate decent snow traction, which is one reason I finally bit.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:14 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I should've bought the tires during the winter to answer your question, BJ. Those who did purchase at that time indicate decent snow traction, which is one reason I finally bit.
Thanks for the chart......are the Bridgestone's on my TL the ones on line two right below the top rated Falkens? If so, there are some contradictory ratings there....

BJ
Old 05-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have the Falken Azenis ST-115's.....these are Ultra Hi-performance summer tires. (I plan on getting dedicated snow tires for the winter....for the best of both worlds). They are extremely grippy and surprisingly for this kind of tire, very quiet...even more so than the EL-42's (and the tread life is very high for a hi-performance summer tire--360). Also, they're very cheap for this type of tire--about $100 each). This is the first time I've tried Falkens and I'm very impressed!
Old 05-28-2004, 05:14 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Thanks for the chart......are the Bridgestone's on my TL the ones on line two right below the top rated Falkens? If so, there are some contradictory ratings there....

BJ
Of course not BJ. There's different grades of Turanzas. The EL-42's are at the bottom of that barrel. The LS-H's (now replaced by the LS-Z's), are good tires from what I've heard, and they're on sale right now at your local Bullshitstone/Firestone store for around $290 EACH. Any takers??

An entire set of Falken 512's will cost you somewhere between $400-$500.
On the sidewall, there's 3 words that are music to my ears:
MADE IN JAPAN

BTW, the rim protection is also superior.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:
Consumer Report's top rated upscale sedan deserves their top rated tires on it!

http://www.falkentire.com/tires/512_infopg.htm
Old 05-28-2004, 07:03 AM
Intermediate

Question Ziex Treadwear

Anybody with experience on the life of the Ziex 512? I have heard from dealers that they are good for about 20,000-30,000 miles?
Old 05-28-2004, 07:13 AM
Instructor

DMZ, how's your experience been so far with the quietness of the tire compared to the Bridgestone tires?
Old 05-28-2004, 07:15 AM
Advanced

BJ
BJ-no kidding DMZ is right on. Get online to edgeracing.com and order those tires. They're incredible for the price. I'm not sure about wear but for the price they could wear a little poorer for my money-the ride is enjoyable enough. Give them a shot I predict you won't look back.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:16 AM
Pro

DMZ, I have them on my 2k2 Maxima and I couldnt agree more. It is a world of difference between my stock Potenza RE92s and the Ziex ZE512s; wheelspin is now A LOT more infrequent.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DMZ,

The LS-H and LS-Z are both in production. Diff sizes for each, one is H rated, the other Z-rated. They are suer expensive, even Tirerack has them for over $200.

LS-Z's are also made in Japan
Old 05-28-2004, 09:02 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

These tires are at least as quiet if not quieter than the Bullshitstones.
As for mileage, their treadwear rating is 360 compared to the EL-42's 280.

It's so nice taking turns now as the superior grip also results in less body lean, almost as if you've just installed higher performance stabilizer bars or shocks. There's that much of a difference.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMZ
These tires are at least as quiet if not quieter than the Bullshitstones.
As for mileage, their treadwear rating is 360 compared to the EL-42's 280.

It's so nice taking turns now as the superior grip also results in less body lean, almost as if you've just installed higher performance stabilizer bars or shocks. There's that much of a difference.

How about the ride comfort. Are they equal or better to the EL42's? I like a tire that is quiet and not too harsh riding while giving decent handling also.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:46 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by dheel
How about the ride comfort. Are they equal or better to the EL42's? I like a tire that is quiet and not too harsh riding while giving decent handling also.
Yes!
Old 05-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMZ
Yes!
Thanks,
BTW, do you know if anyone ever reported on here any flatspotting with the Falken 512's?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PetesTL
I have the Falken Azenis ST-115's.....these are Ultra Hi-performance summer tires. (I plan on getting dedicated snow tires for the winter....for the best of both worlds). They are extremely grippy and surprisingly for this kind of tire, very quiet...even more so than the EL-42's (and the tread life is very high for a hi-performance summer tire--360). Also, they're very cheap for this type of tire--about $100 each). This is the first time I've tried Falkens and I'm very impressed!

I've heard nothing but good things about these tires. From what I've read they outperform alot of the more popular and more expensive tires. They will be my next summer tire.

What are you running in the winter? I'm running Dunlop DS-1's and I can't complain about them. Yeah they're mushy but they do the job in the snow.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Cruisin'

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are not even on there. How can you compare?
Old 05-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Hang on a second. I'm glad you like you Falken's and I agree that changing the EL42s is helps alot. But the consumer reports chart is not testing ultra high performance tires, they appear to be either high performance all season or premium all season. In fact, the number two rated tire seems to be the EL42. I'm running Toyo Proxes 4 and they are great. Just thought I'd weigh in on the subject.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:14 AM
Advanced

512's are a great time, but for better handling go with the ST-115's

I agree with "seamg", that the 512's may be a nice tire, but they are still an all season tire. If you don't need an all-season design, definately go with the Faken ST-115's. These tire are amazingly quiet and they are more of a sport design with amazing turn in and traction. What's surprising is how well these do in the wet as well. However, snow is not an option for these tires from everything I have read.

Bottom line is Falken makes a suprisingly damn good tire in many forms.

Good luck,
Old 05-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Today, I finally did it!

Why does CR say they cost $60? $60 x 4 = $240, not $400.
Why does CR say that the Bridgestone Turanzas handle better than Falkens?

What does Falken offer in a summer high performance tire? I'm in Florida. We don't do winters.

XP
Old 05-28-2004, 11:28 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by seamg
In fact, the number two rated tire seems to be the EL42.
Oh really? Where?
Old 05-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE=seamg In fact, the number two rated tire seems to be the EL42.

The second tire on the list is the LS-H, it's the H-rated version of the LS-Z (which is the size for the TL)
Don't see where Consumer Reports states what speed-rated tires they used on all tires. I know the Falken comes in H,V,W I think. The BS was the H-rated, which stated above doesn't come in the TL size. Michelin has a H and V rated tire on the list as well. Looks like they would compare tires with the same speed-rating for a more of a true test.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:58 AM
Team Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in the Seattle area, and in my case my TL will be my recreation vehicle 7 days a week -- I won't do the summer tire route. Snow doesn't bother me, the whole area shuts down in snow anyway. But I DO need good rain tires. It's not that it rains as bad as people think, but after a rare week of solid sunshine, it drizzle's (not rains) and the roads become bowling alleys with freaking crazy nuts surrounding you.

Should I just stick to the stock tires, or would these be a good investment for my situation? I'm all over great rain tires that improve handling! :p
Old 05-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

With a tire size of 235/45-17, any brand tire will be poor in the snow. It may be wiser just to forego the all-season tire altogether and get a summer and a winter set of tires.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up Check out the ST-115's for summer use

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Why does CR say they cost $60? $60 x 4 = $240, not $400.
Why does CR say that the Bridgestone Turanzas handle better than Falkens?

What does Falken offer in a summer high performance tire? I'm in Florida. We don't do winters.

XP
Falken offers the Azenis ST-115's and the GRB FK-451's as HPT's for summer use. So far I am impressed. Time will tell though.

http://www.falkentire.com/

Good luck,
Old 05-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Mylriahd
I live in the Seattle area, and in my case my TL will be my recreation vehicle 7 days a week -- I won't do the summer tire route. Snow doesn't bother me, the whole area shuts down in snow anyway. But I DO need good rain tires. It's not that it rains as bad as people think, but after a rare week of solid sunshine, it drizzle's (not rains) and the roads become bowling alleys with freaking crazy nuts surrounding you.

Should I just stick to the stock tires, or would these be a good investment for my situation? I'm all over great rain tires that improve handling! :p

I'm not sure how your EL42s are for now. My EL42s seem OK in snow and regular driving and quiet. But I always suffer the hydroplaning problems in the rainy days, and many ppl do complain these tires cannot handle snows.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Question For those 5AT 04TL having Falken 512s...

Did you have 5th/1500RPM/50-55MPH vibration when using EL42s?

After having the new Falken 512s, do you still feel this vibration as strong as it was before? Or it becomes slighter...?

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I have had the Falken Ziex ZE512's for about 6000 miles now. I am really impressed with these tires - very quite, great handling. After all the issues I had with the EL-42's, the Falkens are great ... Well worth the money I spent on them...

Old 05-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Here you go, $80 for a set of BS or Michelins. Of course they may not be the size needed

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=318355
Old 05-29-2004, 01:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Question

I heard $80 for Falken 512 (including Hunter roadforce balance) for each, it this price good?
Old 06-01-2004, 09:09 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by rets
I heard $80 for Falken 512 (including Hunter roadforce balance) for each, it this price good?
In the correct size, 235/45/17?
I highly doubt it.

BTW, the prices posted in the Consumer Reports chart OBVIOUSLY reflect the starting price of the smallest size available for whatever model tire. I'm amazed there's some here not smart enough to figure that out.

Anyway, now that I've had a weekend in the country, I can say these tires GRIP extremely well on winding country and mildy wet roads. No screeching, no hydroplainng. The best in an all-season tire!

Old 06-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Red face

Originally Posted by DMZ
In the correct size, 235/45/17?
I highly doubt it.

BTW, the prices posted in the Consumer Reports chart OBVIOUSLY reflect the starting price of the smallest size available for whatever model tire. I'm amazed there's some here not smart enough to figure that out.

Anyway, now that I've had a weekend in the country, I can say these tires GRIP extremely well on winding country and mildy wet roads. No screeching, no hydroplainng. The best in an all-season tire!

Right, CR's suggestion price is for their 60/65 series models.

But, while I check this one, low profile, yes, no doubt, 235/45/ZR17 97W, DOT date 0904. It's $110 per tire including GSP 9700 balancing, mounting, installation, and $30 deduction from EL42 per tire, therefore, it's $80 for a new Falken ZIEX ZE512. However, no R/H insurance is included.

I think the price above is similar to those you've paid for, except the insurance/warantee stuff.

DMZ, thanks so much for your information.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:11 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by rets
[/size]

Right, CR's suggestion price is for their 60/65 series models.

But, while I check this one, low profile, yes, no doubt, 235/45/ZR17 97W, DOT date 0904. It's $110 per tire including GSP 9700 balancing, mounting, installation, and $30 deduction from EL42 per tire, therefore, it's $80 for a new Falken ZIEX ZE512. However, no R/H insurance is included.

I think the price above is similar to those you've paid for, except the insurance/warantee stuff.

DMZ, thanks so much for your information.
Rets,

Who's giving you a $30 deduction? And why no road hazard warranty?
Old 06-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Exclamation

Originally Posted by DMZ
Rets,

Who's giving you a $30 deduction? And why no road hazard warranty?

I don't remember the tire dealer's name, and have to ask my friend. But, in the beginning the tire dealer quoted him $110 for each. They finally have an agreement if my friend does get four new tires from there, his 04TL will get $30 trade-in off the original price and make tires tuned by all Hunter-series equipments. (I think it'll be the good price if you cannot have your Acura dealership or Bridgestone dealership provide $100+...)

Plus, he could get free front alignment by Hunter Wheel Alignment System. (We doubt if that machine has the info of 04TL's specification though)

For the road hazard warranty, I guess they're not authorized Falken dealer??? Don't know... :o (For Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, $200, that's the tire I definitely will pursue the warranty/insurance option. )

DMZ, I remembered you ever talked to the Bridgestone dealer in Flushing, right? Did that young owner tell you there had been another 04TL checking on his store already? If so, that's me... I was first 04TLers going there and got the handshake agreement to swap EL42s to LS-Z, as well as their District Manager gave him an approval. But after a day, he called me and apologized that he had to cancel this due to overwhelming calls to the district manager office and that manager forced him to stop working with any 04TLs at that moment... :o
Old 06-07-2004, 08:09 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by roadman
With a tire size of 235/45-17, any brand tire will be poor in the snow. It may be wiser just to forego the all-season tire altogether and get a summer and a winter set of tires.
Unfortunately, there are those of us who no place to store a 2nd set of tires.
If you search the threads, you'll see those who've driven in snow with the Falken 512's are pleased with their wintery performance.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Anyway, lots of tires would be better than EL42s...