EDFC Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 AM
'07 NBP TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EDFC Installation

I just purchased a set of Tein SS and EDFC controller and should be arriving soon. I'm pretty sure I'm going to install it myself. Working with someone to see what I can do with the strut bar issue.
Regarding powering the EDFC, where do you tap the wires into? Do people use the power from the fuse box or T off some line under the dash? Or is there an different alternative? Suggestion are welcome. tia.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:49 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Porkipine
I just purchased a set of Tein SS and EDFC controller and should be arriving soon. I'm pretty sure I'm going to install it myself. Working with someone to see what I can do with the strut bar issue.
Regarding powering the EDFC, where do you tap the wires into? Do people use the power from the fuse box or T off some line under the dash? Or is there an different alternative? Suggestion are welcome. tia.
4 wires you have to run...
- Constant power
- Switched power
- illumination
- Ground

I spliced and soldered the grey/blue wire seen here for CONSTANT power
http://www.sbadesign.com/acurazine/sills/driver.html

I used an "add a fuse" for switched power - it power ALL my switched accessories (V1, PS2, Ipod Charger, and Mediagate)... add a fuse goes in the "Radio" slot, as it's switched.

I spliced into the illum wire of the trunk release button. (can't remember the color, use a circuit tester - if you see current only when the lights are on... that's the illum).

... any body ground for ground.

Works great.

The Greddy bar works fine... Drill one hole and dremel your covers a bit... Done.

It's an all day affair, as you have to gut so much of the interior to get the wiring run.

I used an add a fuse for
Old 07-30-2007, 12:13 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Damn 5 minute edit rule got me...

There's a grommet dead center of the firewall, just pop it out slice it, run the wired through it, then run the motor wires through... piece of cake. Use a coat hanger to fishem though.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:06 PM
'07 NBP TL

Great information Kennedy
I didn't notice that there's actually four wires to connect. Do you know if its ok to connect both the constant power and switch power to the same wire? I was thinking to just tap it into the ignition wire(the one that has current through when the ignition is on?), what do you think?
For your switched power, do you mean you replaced the fuse at the radio slot with an add a fuse?
I was thinking about using my break light wires as my illumination.
Do you know if I will have feedback problems? Do I need to add any diodes?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
You are trying to tap into totally the wrong sources
kennedy gave you the wires- not brake lights not battery hot for a switched wire!

really- you need a pro for this part of the job- its critical to keeping the unit alive

call MrHeelToe or find an auto electric guy to do the wire cutting part for you
Old 07-30-2007, 02:28 PM
'07 NBP TL

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
You are trying to tap into totally the wrong sources
kennedy gave you the wires- not brake lights not battery hot for a switched wire!

really- you need a pro for this part of the job- its critical to keeping the unit alive

call MrHeelToe or find an auto electric guy to do the wire cutting part for you
I'm just curious if my suggestions will work since the installation guide says nothing much about how big of a signal it needs.
I'll probably contact marcus to double check on the wiring.
Auto electric guy, would an audio installer work? My friend did audio installtion before so he should be able to help me out right?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:39 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Connecting both power wires to constant power means the EDFC unit will never turn off, even with the car off. That will surely drain your battery in no time flat.

Connecting both power wires to switched means the unit will "hard boot" and fully cycle the motors everytime you start the car, and it will only remember your pre-programmed settings while the car is running. This will cause undue wear on the motors and strut adjustment assemblies (constant cycling at startup), nevermeind how annoying that would be.

I have no idea which wires your asking about with regagrds to "brake wires"... but that doesn't seem like a good idea. I think you should wire it up just like I explained.

- yellow (edfc) to grey blue - this is very low current draw - only used to keep the memory functions
- red to add a fuse installed at radio slot - This is higher draw, and why I suggest using and add a fuse - as it taps the heavy gauge power bus of the car, gives another level of safety, and can be used to power other accessories as your enthusiasm for widgets grows.
- green to illum ... I just remembered - It's a red wire with a black stripe and 2 silver dots on it. Just tap into that wire at any of the "illuminated buttons on the left side of the dash.
- Ground... any body ground. There's aPERFECT collection of ground points behind the lower dash. Just pull the trim off and you'll see it.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:54 PM
'07 NBP TL

Kennedy, thanks for the info and the explaination.
01tl4tl, thanks for the warning.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for this, Kennedy...worked like a charm!
Old 01-14-2012, 03:11 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
bumping an old thread for future reference