DO I really need a camber kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006 | 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

DO I really need a camber kit?

I'm gonna lower my 3G TL 2"... do i really need a camber kit? Some people have been sayin' that I don't really need it. Just need to get the wheels aligned and then it's all gravy.
Old 03-30-2006 | 03:45 AM
Instructor

gatdammit, it's hard to say... every car has different variances and while some can get by, others can't. While the TL as a little adjustably, will it be enough, who knows.

I suggest you lower the car and get it on the alignment rack and then you'll get your answer! If it can be aligned, you don't need the kit, otherwise....

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2006 | 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

If you drop it 2". You will need a camber kit. Dont skip out on it or it will cost you more in the long run. your tires will get chewd up. I would recommend ingalls front and rear. the rear ingalls, you can also correct any minor toe issues you may have as well(not something that can be done with COmptech or SPC). Thats just my
Old 03-30-2006 | 09:33 AM
Former Whyner

The answer is I installed the Eibach Pro Kit on mine( 1" drop) about 6 months ago and i thought i could get away with it....Boy was i wrong. I have about 9K miles with the 1" drop and my rear tires i believe wore down quicker. The insides of my tires are completly bald. I never used a camber kit on my integra and that was DUMPED!!! i think it might just be its a heavier car. MY
Old 03-30-2006 | 09:42 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

YES....you will need the camber kit on ANYTHING more than the standard A-spec suspension.
Old 03-30-2006 | 12:29 PM
Now with i-Vtec

I have posted this it seems like a million times. You do not necessarily need a camber kit. I had my car lowered on S-techs which is basically a 2" drop. Got an alignment and made sure the TOE was set correctly. 6,000+ miles later my stock tires showed absolutely no signs of premature wear.

I now have the car lowered on 19's and new suspension as well. This time the drop is slightly more aggressive than before with the S-techs. The car was then realigned and I had the toe set to 0 degrees all the way around.

Toe is more important than camber IMHO. If your toe is off slightly you will eat up some tires. Now run negative camber with the correct toe settings and you may never see tire wear. The problem is people always assume that if you run negative camber your tires are gonna wear faster on the insides. That's true if you are running an extreme degree of camber with extreme toe and you're not driving the car on a track. That combination on the street will leave you with bald tires in a few hundred/thousand miles (depending on how aggressive it is). See when you are tracking your car you are trying to maximize your tires contact patch especially during turns where you are shifting the vehicles weight and putting most of the vehicle load on one side of the tires at a time.

Basically I recommend people take their cars to a shop that specialize in race/track/modded cars and just take it from there. Let them do the alignment and advise you on whether or not you are going to need an alignment kit. Personally I think if you go to a reputable company with a lot of experience and backing they won't steer you wrong. Hell call a couple of those companies or swing by and ask their alignment guy what he thinks. Get it straight from the horses mouth as they say.
Old 03-30-2006 | 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I disagree. With a 2" drop your rear is gonna be at least neg 2 degrees which is a problem. you are right that the toe is more important but your tires will wear faster on the insides with a negative camber. i tried it on my RSX and they will wear faster on the insides. What you said and having a neg and the inside not wearing faster is not true. when you have proper tire pressure your tire will not be flat on the road surface causing premature where on the part of the tire touching hence the inner part of tire.

Here is a nice graphic I got explaining to anyone who may not know exactly what Camber, Toe, and inherent tire wear patterns can mean.....
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=alignment

Go to that link and look at negative camber. if you have that you will wear faster. It may not be that extreme but you will wear faster. I would keep it at about neg .5 deg to -1 deg at the most. any more and it will wear significantly.
Old 03-30-2006 | 02:54 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by blktl1
I disagree. With a 2" drop your rear is gonna be at least neg 2 degrees which is a problem. you are right that the toe is more important but your tires will wear faster on the insides with a negative camber. i tried it on my RSX and they will wear faster on the insides. What you said and having a neg and the inside not wearing faster is not true. when you have proper tire pressure your tire will not be flat on the road surface causing premature where on the part of the tire touching hence the inner part of tire.

Here is a nice graphic I got explaining to anyone who may not know exactly what Camber, Toe, and inherent tire wear patterns can mean.....
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=alignment

Go to that link and look at negative camber. if you have that you will wear faster. It may not be that extreme but you will wear faster. I would keep it at about neg .5 deg to -1 deg at the most. any more and it will wear significantly.

With the S-tech's which is damn near a 2" drop I was -.98 and -1.02 in the rear and slightly more in the front. I absolutely had no tire wear in 6k miles. My toe was set to 0 there as well.

In my old WRX I was slammed the coilovers could not go any lower. The camber was -2 degrees front and -1 degree in the rear. I absolutely had no tire wear due to camber.

I have lowered every single vehicle I have ever owned starting in '97. So far I haven't worn the inside of my tires on any of the vehicles I have owned because of camber. I have always been told to make sure the Toe is set correctly and you shouldn't have any tire wear with a moderate amount of negative camber. So far the TL is doing good and not showing any signs of wear either. Granted it's only been a few weeks so in 4 month's I'll come back and update this with my findings on the TL. Until then I guess I was just one of the lucky ones and have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old 03-30-2006 | 02:56 PM
Burning Brakes

2 degrees is enough to show uneven but 1 degree is not. I am suprised that you never showed any tire wear at all.
Old 03-30-2006 | 03:00 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by blktl1
2 degrees is enough to show uneven but 1 degree is not. I am suprised that you never showed any tire wear at all.
Guess my alignment guys are the bomb then. I have never seen any tire wear.