Do I need a camber kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Do I need a camber kit?

I just bought the comptech springs and Ingall camber kit from comptech-type S.
I plan on having them installed during my next service.

My question is this.

I'm going to keep my 17" wheels and don't plan on getting bigger rims or anything. If I lower my car, will I need to install the camber kit still? Since it should stay the same width and such.
And, I plan on getting the comptech anti-sway bar too. Would that affect any of the parts that I'm installing?

If I don't need the camber kit, does anyone want it? I'd put it up for sale or for trade, hehe.

Why did comptech only make camber kit for the rear? How come the front doesn't need it?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a suspension pro, but from what I've gathered by reading all the different posts on this forum, if the drop ends up being 2" or more, then you most definitely will.
The Comptech kit gives you about a 1" drop, so you should be ok without the camber kit.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:17 PM
05 WDP TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thorin78
I just bought the comptech springs and Ingall camber kit from comptech-type S.
I plan on having them installed during my next service.

My question is this.

I'm going to keep my 17" wheels and don't plan on getting bigger rims or anything. If I lower my car, will I need to install the camber kit still? Since it should stay the same width and such.
And, I plan on getting the comptech anti-sway bar too. Would that affect any of the parts that I'm installing?

If I don't need the camber kit, does anyone want it? I'd put it up for sale or for trade, hehe.

Why did comptech only make camber kit for the rear? How come the front doesn't need it?

Thanks.

do you dont have the front camber kit? i need all 4.....my wheels are butterflied....but it looks nice and mean!
Old 07-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Previous Owner

Originally Posted by madehtsobi
do you dont have the front camber kit? i need all 4.....my wheels are butterflied....but it looks nice and mean!
Hey Madetsobi

No I don't have the fronts. However did you see this post?
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fs-ingalls-fr-rr-camber-kits-adjustable-ball-joints-305318/

if he still has the fronts and the person who last posted wants the rears, you can maybe match up a 3 way deal.

his fronts + my rear camber kits for you
and his rear cambers for the other guy.

It's an interesting proposition for the guy.

What does butterflied mean?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:47 AM
got speed?

Every Acura that our dealership has put Comptech Springs on that we did NOT install the camber kit has returned within 10k miles with serious tire wear issues. The inside of the tires gets worn out because the tire is no longer flat on the ground when you put the shorter springs on. Comptech makes both front and rear camber kits-I suggest you put both on.

Pierce
Old 07-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Previous Owner

Pierce

Can I run the comptech springs with the original shocks?

So what did you do to fix the issue when installing the camber kit? how much adjustment did you have to use on the camber kits?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Thorin,
You could have asked me these questions. I worked for Acura for 3 1/2 yrs and think i know a little about the cars. You will need camber kits and adjustable ball joints after lowering your car. Every car i have seen that has been lowered and not had camber kits installed has had real bad uneven tire ware. Some people will tell you otherwise but its your money and a set of new tires. If you get rid of those camber kits and lower your car you'll just have to buy them again... Trust me get the ball joints also and do the job right the first time. Tires are expensive.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:16 AM
Previous Owner

Comptech,

heh, why didn't you tell me you worked for acura for 3 1/2 years. Guess I'll have to go buy the ingall front camber kits huh? heh. I can still use the original shocks tho right? they'll just wear out quicker?

How does Acura solve this problem with the a-spec package? I don't remember anyone saying anything about the aspec package including camber kits.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Advanced

I also have the Comptech springs on my 2004. I started without the camber kits and had the car aligned within the factory specifications, but only barely. I mean it was on the outside range of the factory specs in the front and on the far outside in the rear. Although it was close, it wasn’t good enough for me. I wanted to be within the factory specs. I highly recommend the front and rear camber kits. The wheels are visibly and accurately straight.

Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Thorin78
How does Acura solve this problem with the a-spec package? I don't remember anyone saying anything about the aspec package including camber kits.
The A-Spec kit only drops you .5 of an inch all the way around or "slightly" more. No need for a camber kit, using my own experience in noticing my tire wear as an example.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Keeping your facorty springs will be perfectly fine.

what PoochaKannInc said about the A-Spec kit is correct. Some A-Spec customers will see uneven tire ware in the rear if they ride people in the back seat or have a speaker box that adds additional weight.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Advanced

I’m glad there are vendors like SPC that provide us functional performance and suspension parts so we can lower our vehicles and adjust our ACURA’s to factory specifications. I’m utilizing the SPC camber adjusters (purchased through Comptech) so my alignment can be within specs.

Be aware that the rubber used to hold the grease in the swivel portion of the camber adjusters could be improved. Both of the front camber adjusters (sliding ball joints) have ripped within one year. I contacted the retailer (Comptech), to learn what was required of me so to return them for a refund. I was told I had to purchase replacements then return the defective ones to Comptech. After Comptech and SPC inspected the ball joints, I received my refund.

For those of you who are using, or considering purchasing the camber adjusters keep your receipts. It wouldn’t hurt to save the receipt from the shop who installs them for record. The more records you provide while requesting a refund will save you unneeded grief. I even included Comptech pictures of the defective ball joints still installed on my TL.

Before posting this, I disappointingly noticed that my rear camber adjusters rubber are beginning to split at the swivel joint. Damn! They are less than one year old. I’m sure I can get Compech/SPC to refund these parts, but I need to act on it before the one year warranty expires. As before, I will be out the labor to replace them.