all or nothing....and it's a bird, it's a hydroplane!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 01:34 AM
Awesome to the Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all or nothing....and it's a bird, it's a hydroplane!

anyone have so many vibrations/rattles from their 05 TL that they don't know where it's coming from? Sometimes when I drive...no vibrations or anything and it's the most awesomest car......and sometimes..it feels like...every corner of my car has vibrations and rattles...and I can't determine exactly where it's coming from and how it's produced...so I was wondering if I went into my dealership and said, my car rattles and stuff..and they ask me when..how and when do i describe it? It feels like my driver side speaker, dash board, center speaker, and somewhere on the passenger seat belt area all rattle...

also, I was driving in the rain today...and I hydroplaned it...is this normal with such a nice car? maybe it's the tires? I got the bridgestones... I think the VSA kicked in quickly and i felt in control within a second after I hydroplaned...could I ask them for the michelin's saying that I hydroplaned it? (I don't have navi). Thanks.

sorry if repost..
Old 12-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Hydroplaning could take place while your OEM Bridgestone EL42s are running over water-full roads. IMHO, I don't think your dealer would give you new Michelin tires due to this reason, however you should try, maybe your dealer is willing to help you by surprise. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:15 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
take your car to the dealer, they will drive and check the rattles~
Old 12-06-2004, 06:35 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dump the tires and get a decent set of Michelin Pilot Sport tires. They solved all the problems I had with my TL and were the best change I've made since getting the car last March. As for hydroplaning, every car and every tire will do it to some degree...the only way to help eliminate it is to increase tire pressure. The higher the tire pressure, the higher the speed where hydroplaning starts.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To avoid hyrdoplaning, try DRIVING SLOWER in the rain. There's only so much work a tire can do.

I love reading entries like: "I was doing 75 the other day in a thunderstorm and I hydroplaned".. well DURRRR.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:35 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Originally Posted by Sherlock
To avoid hyrdoplaning, try DRIVING SLOWER in the rain. There's only so much work a tire can do.

I love reading entries like: "I was doing 75 the other day in a thunderstorm and I hydroplaned".. well DURRRR.

Well said!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:29 AM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
There is a general rule of thumb with respect to tire pressure and hydroplaning. Typically hydroplaning starts at 2 times the air pressure in the tires. Of course many other factors come into play such as tire width, tread depth, tread design, car weight, etc. Almost any tire will hydroplane if water is so deep that that tire can't evacuate the water from it or if speeds are too high. VSA can't defy the laws of physics.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wavshrdr
There is a general rule of thumb with respect to tire pressure and hydroplaning. Typically hydroplaning starts at 2 times the air pressure in the tires. Of course many other factors come into play such as tire width, tread depth, tread design, car weight, etc. Almost any tire will hydroplane if water is so deep that that tire can't evacuate the water from it or if speeds are too high. VSA can't defy the laws of physics.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:55 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the rattles may actually be caused by your EL42s prior to warmup. This happened to me alot when I first got my vehicle. It felt like i was in a helocopter!

the flat spotting el42s are but we've all seen the discussion on that topic heh
Old 12-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Pro

I think your a little paranoid. In another post you asked "what is flatspotting", "how do I know if I have it" and "how do I get the tires replaced".

You are looking for problems and trying to figure out how to get them fixed when you don't even know if you have them.

Calm down a little and just enjoy the car. If you are having issues, take the advise previously posted and slow down in adverse conditions.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

^--- Well said
Old 12-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
VSA can't defy the laws of physics.
Och, Jim, I kenna defy the laws of feesics!

The EL42 issue has been beaten to death. I know, I've done some of the beating. Your dealer isn't going to replace your tires just for hydroplaning. If you're not satisfied with them, do what many of us (yours truly included) have done....ditch 'em and get better ones.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Not an expert on this at all, but in AF pilot training we were taught that the hydroplane speed is 10 times the square root of the tire pressure. That makes it 56 mph for a tire pressure of 32. I generally never drive over 55 when driving in rain or think there might be a chance of standing water and I've never had a problem (recognizable) with hydroplaning. Granted, there are a whole slew of factors besides speed that determine whether or not your car will hydroplane in a given situation, but speed is probably the biggest factor. Bottom line, if you want to virtually limit your chance of hydroplaning, slow it down.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
ok, you said you have a 05 TL? I thought all 05 TLs came with the michelins and not the bridgestones.

The EL42s are definitely horrible. I'm lucky to get my dealer to swap it for LS-Zs at their cost. I experience hydroplaning on the EL42s going at about 40mph.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by Sherlock

actually, I wasn't going that fast...there was just a big puddle on the freeway
Old 12-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by Thorin78
ok, you said you have a 05 TL? I thought all 05 TLs came with the michelins and not the bridgestones.

The EL42s are definitely horrible. I'm lucky to get my dealer to swap it for LS-Zs at their cost. I experience hydroplaning on the EL42s going at about 40mph.

Good luck.

I think only navi's come with them
Old 12-06-2004, 01:30 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Och, Jim, I kenna defy the laws of feesics!

The EL42 issue has been beaten to death. I know, I've done some of the beating. Your dealer isn't going to replace your tires just for hydroplaning. If you're not satisfied with them, do what many of us (yours truly included) have done....ditch 'em and get better ones.
In due time...no more money saved up after putting dp and paying for other little things for the car here and there..plus christmas is coming up...saving up for other people...I haven't even been able to get tints on my car yet..
Old 12-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by hypertech
I think your a little paranoid. In another post you asked "what is flatspotting", "how do I know if I have it" and "how do I get the tires replaced".

You are looking for problems and trying to figure out how to get them fixed when you don't even know if you have them.

Calm down a little and just enjoy the car. If you are having issues, take the advise previously posted and slow down in adverse conditions.

how would i know if I had them if I didn't ask questions for what to look for? for all I know...i have problems, but i have no clue i have them...I've been enjoying my car...love it on the freeway...switching lanes like nothing...and passing whoever I want, but coming from a used 96 accord...almost any new car will probably feel awesome compared to it and I wouldn't know the first problem until my tranny blows or something...this is my first new car, relatively new to car maintenance, just want to make sure everything is working fine cause I don't want one small problem to escalate to a bigger problem later...
Old 12-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Team Abyss Horseman

Same issue

I've got the same issue with my 05. I think mine are comming from the sunroof when its in the vent position and my front passenger seat when someone sits on it. Anyone with these symptoms? Remedies?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Racer

The calculations of tire pressure vs. hydroplane speed only apply to a fixed aspect ratio tires (such as aircraft). Wide, low profile tires will hydroplane at lower speeds than skinny tires almost regardless of safe air pressures. Honda typically undertires their cars (and skinny rims), the new TL (235/45/17 tires & 8" rims) is an exception and it will hydroplane easier than an equivalent Accord V6 (205/60/16 tires). Sticky, Gatorback type tread would help greatly, but even that has limits.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:10 PM
[]( O)( O)% []D[][]V[][]D

it's tru...the wider the tire the more chance u have of hydroplaning..i currently have the EL42's horrible..im goin for a set of 245 soon..it's a stupid thing i know...but like some said earlier...when theres rain...use ur brain..i lost my expedition due to hydroplaning..i had 305/45/22 on there..theres the reason i hydroplaned... n me speeding didnt help..so like they say..i smart man learns from his mistakes n a wise man learns from others mistakes
Old 12-06-2004, 10:10 PM
[]( O)( O)% []D[][]V[][]D

it's tru...the wider the tire the more chance u have of hydroplaning..i currently have the EL42's ....horrible..im goin for a set of 245 soon..it's a stupid thing i know...but like some said earlier...when theres rain...use ur brain..i lost my expedition due to hydroplaning..i had 305/45/22 on there..theres the reason i hydroplaned... n me speeding didnt help..so like they say..a smart man learns from his mistakes n a wise man learns from others mistakes
Old 12-07-2004, 02:29 AM
I shift therefore I am

From a survey on tirerack.com,
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Turanza+EL42
<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="760"> <tbody><tr height="18"><td background="/images/reviews/18bgrnd.gif" height="18"><nobr>
Results from our online tire survey:
</nobr></td> <td colspan="9" align="right" background="/images/reviews/18bgrnd.gif" height="18"><nobr> 208 surveys submitted</nobr><nobr> 3,732,053 miles reported</nobr></td> </tr> <tr height="39"> <td background="/images/reviews/39bgrnd.gif" height="39">
</td> <td align="center" background="/images/reviews/39bgrnd.gif" height="39">Dry
Traction
</td> <td align="center" background="/images/reviews/39bgrnd.gif" height="39">Wet
Traction
</td> <td align="center" background="/images/reviews/39bgrnd.gif" height="39">Hydro
Resistance
</td> <td align="center" background="/images/reviews/39bgrnd.gif" height="39">Snow
Traction
</td> <td align="center" background="/images/reviews/39bgrnd.gif" height="39">Cornering
Stability
</td> <td align="center" background="/images/reviews/39bgrnd.gif" height="39">Steering
Response
</td> <td align="center" background="/images/reviews/39bgrnd.gif" height="39">Ride
Comfort
</td> <td align="center" background="/images/reviews/39bgrnd.gif" height="39">Noise
Comfort
</td> <td align="center" background="/images/reviews/39bgrnd.gif" height="39">Tread
Wear
</td> </tr> <tr height="24"> <td bgcolor="#cccccc" height="24">Surveyed Averages</td> <td class="mainclass" align="center" bgcolor="#fcf305">6.4 </td> <td class="mainclass" align="center" bgcolor="#fcf305">4.8 </td> <td class="mainclass" align="center" bgcolor="#ff8080">4.5 </td> <td class="mainclass" align="center" bgcolor="#ff8080">3.7 </td> <td class="mainclass" align="center" bgcolor="#fcf305">5.7 </td> <td class="mainclass" align="center" bgcolor="#fcf305">5.9 </td> <td class="mainclass" align="center" bgcolor="#fcf305">5.4 </td> <td class="mainclass" align="center" bgcolor="#fcf305">5.3 </td> <td class="mainclass" align="center" bgcolor="#fcf305">5.4 </td> </tr> <tr height="20"> <td colspan="10" height="20" valign="bottom">Key: Superior (8.6-10) Excellent (6.6-8.5) Good (4.6-6.5) Fair (2.6-4.5) Unacceptable (0-2.5)</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="10">

<hr align="left" noshade="noshade" size="1" width="100%"> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="760"> <tbody><tr height="18"> <td height="18">Would You Buy This Tire Again?</td> <td colspan="9" bgcolor="#dd0806" height="18">Most said: Definitely Not (Average of 2.4 out of 10)
</td> </tr> <tr height="18"> <td height="18">How Did This Tire Rank In Its Category?

Its a survey and not an official rating, but it sure looks like the hydro-resistance is pretty weak for these tires.
</td> <td colspan="9" height="18">31 out of 32 tires (Score of 5.2 vs best tire in category score of 8.4)

</td></tr></tbody> </table>
Old 12-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Racer

Get Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. The Bridgestones are terrible. When I had mine, the car would hydroplane and vibrate. Once I got the Michelins, it feels like a totally different car. Acura will not replace your tires because of hydroplaning.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Sport+A%2FS
Old 12-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 12-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Car Addict

Stock tires are noisy but liveable.