Ahh My Sway Bar!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005 | 06:03 PM
Racer

Ahh My Sway Bar!

Guys I need help here. Okay, so I install my Comptech sway bar and previously tested my handling before the install. The install went flawless however i took my car to test out the handling of it with the bar in, but it sucks now! It says to torque it to 25 ft/lbs but I think I did it a little more, do to peer preasure in my auto class. Do you guys know if this could be the problem as to why my handeling got worse?
Old 10-15-2005 | 06:07 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

in what way is your handeling worse?
Old 10-15-2005 | 09:03 PM
Dragging knees in

Unless you're off by a lot, the torque spec wouldn't affect much at all.

I must ask the same questions as NFLblitze1; how exactly is your handling worse?

And don't listen to high school auto class people. They don't know shit.
Old 10-15-2005 | 09:13 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by stavebomb
Guys I need help here. Okay, so I install my Comptech sway bar and previously tested my handling before the install. The install went flawless however i took my car to test out the handling of it with the bar in, but it sucks now! It says to torque it to 25 ft/lbs but I think I did it a little more, do to peer preasure in my auto class. Do you guys know if this could be the problem as to why my handeling got worse?

i never pay attention to torque specs unless its on brakes or engine heads...

if you have a defective sway bar maybe, but that should not cause any problems otherwise
Old 10-15-2005 | 09:26 PM
Instructor

Overtorquing the bar will not change the way it works. Make sure it is installed correctly, nothing is binding, and none of the bolts broke when you made your test drive.
Old 10-16-2005 | 02:37 PM
Advanced

Peer pressure can seriously degrade the handling of your car. The pressure weighs on the bushings and shocks causing premature seal failure and insecure handling.
Old 10-16-2005 | 08:40 PM
Got Pearl?

Originally Posted by stavebomb
I have to say this maybe one of the strangest posts I have ever seen....I was looking at mine today to see if somehow u put the CT SB in wrong and I don't see how u could have....when I put mine in (I really didn't tell my wife what it would do) she asked why does the car handle better? So I can't believe u wouldn't like CT SB.
Old 10-16-2005 | 08:58 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Neumahn
Peer pressure can seriously degrade the handling of your car. The pressure weighs on the bushings and shocks causing premature seal failure and insecure handling.
Old 10-16-2005 | 11:12 PM
Cold Racketeer

since getting my comptech rear sway, my 5at is really a lot more confident in turns... something must have gone wrong.
Old 10-17-2005 | 08:34 AM
Racer

I installed it corectly, and now it is wierd. When I took my car to the parking lot and made sharp turns the back tires were squealing and it wouldnt take the turns as sharp. i can definitly feel the difference in how its so stiff in the back but it doesnt hadle any better.
Old 10-17-2005 | 06:59 PM
Instructor

Sounds like your handling exspectations are very high so you are blaming the bar for not meeting those expectations. A rear bar will improve the handling but it will not turn the car into a super-handling racecar. The job of the bigger rear bar on a front-wheel-drive car is to remove some cornering load from the heavily-tasked front tires and add it to the rear tires. This improves turn-in and allows the front wheels to accept more load before they finaly start to slide. The added rear loading can cause the rear tires to slide easier than before. Either way you are still limmited to the overall grip of the tires so you might want to look at a set of good tires to get the best handling.
Old 10-19-2005 | 09:23 PM
Racer

Im not even blaming the bar and im not expecting my FWD TL to be the next forumla one car im just sayin the car doesnt handle as well as it did before the comptech sway bar.
Old 10-24-2005 | 06:04 PM
Racer

Well Since I'm interested in getting one I'm a little scared my car post install will handle worse? In what ways does it handle worse?

Burgman: you sound pretty well informed. That explanation alone makes me think I should order one tomorrow lol.

I don't however want worse handling.I want a little more confidence going into the corners and less like bounce or roll. Im not sure if thats cause of the springs though. My 350z didnt have a rear sway or a front one,it did have a bar across the engine. It handled sooooo good...

Thanks for the info...
Old 10-24-2005 | 06:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverStoneTTL
Well Since I'm interested in getting one I'm a little scared my car post install will handle worse? In what ways does it handle worse?

Burgman: you sound pretty well informed. That explanation alone makes me think I should order one tomorrow lol.

I don't however want worse handling.I want a little more confidence going into the corners and less like bounce or roll. Im not sure if thats cause of the springs though. My 350z didnt have a rear sway or a front one,it did have a bar across the engine. It handled sooooo good...

Thanks for the info...

You wont get worse handling, the RSB on a front wheel drive car is one of the best upgrades you can make , it will flatten the car in cornering and make the car more stable and less floaty in the rear end.

Think about freeway on ramps (the tight turny ones) I guarantee you will be able to take them faster with more confidence.

Old 10-24-2005 | 08:17 PM
Racer

Well in that case, then I will be ordering mine very soon.

May sound dumb but is CompTech the only company that makes one for the TL or the best one?
Old 10-24-2005 | 08:38 PM
Safety Car

Stavebomb, just for the record. What is your suspension configuration? Stock, lowering springs/stock struts, lowering springs/aftermarket struts, or aftermarket coilovers? Maybe this help diagnose your problem. IMO, I don't think it's the RSB.
Well in that case, then I will be ordering mine very soon.

May sound dumb but is CompTech the only company that makes one for the TL or the best one?
As far as I know, Comptech has the only RSB for 3G TLs.
Old 10-24-2005 | 08:43 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Take it back off, put the stock one on and send it to me. I'll test it out for you and make sure it's safe.

I'll return it within 5 years. Promise
Old 10-24-2005 | 08:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Stavebomb, just for the record. What is your suspension configuration? Stock, lowering springs/stock struts, lowering springs/aftermarket struts, or aftermarket coilovers? Maybe this help diagnose your problem. IMO, I don't think it's the RSB.

As far as I know, Comptech has the only RSB for 3G TLs.
Oops, forgot about the edit time .... do a search on the CT RSB, there are a number of threads on this topic. I believe that most everyone who had it installed had nothing but positive comments on it. There are also a couple of DIY instructions floating on the board.
Old 10-24-2005 | 09:29 PM
Racer

Just ordered mine. How exciting.
Old 10-24-2005 | 10:53 PM
Banned

Just ordered mine. How exciting.

CSB is still the best money i have spent on a mod yet
Old 10-25-2005 | 12:15 AM
Automobile Aficionado

Exclamation

The thread-starter may have a point.

Handling/cornering feels noticeably different & tires chirp more at FULL throttle on SHARP turns.

On a freeway on-ramp (tight sweeping right turn)....I floored it in 2nd (AT) doing about 55-65MPH (sign 'suggested!' 30MPH) and the car definitely took the corner sharper and the tires bit more than normal...BUT

At the end of the sweeping turn, the REAR actually OVERSTEERED---I was turning RIGHT and normally the FRONT would slide to the LEFT-thereby understeering----but this time----the car's REAR end fishtailed to the LEFT while I was turning RIGHT----thereby sliding the FRONT of the car to the RIGHT---and close to doing a 180-----something i did not think this FWD car would do. In my BMW, the Rear would slide left but it always centered out or even understeered at the end because of the Stability Control.

Fortunately, I grabbed control and pulled it back straight, I was surprised the Acura Stability Control didn't kick in earlier, I know its the new RSB, I wanted to really figure out what it could do, but now I figured out its limits. You can take corners a little faster but WATCH OUT for...... oversteer.....I don't think the Acura Stability Control knows what to do with it.

Happy Motoring.

P>S> I can't remember, now that we have OVERSTEER, is there is rule against letting off the gas pedal on a turn?
Old 10-25-2005 | 02:47 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by Twenties

Handling/cornering feels noticeably different & tires chirp more at FULL throttle on SHARP turns.

On a freeway on-ramp (tight sweeping right turn)....I floored it in 2nd (AT) doing about 55-65MPH (sign 'suggested!' 30MPH) and the car definitely took the corner sharper and the tires bit more than normal...BUT

At the end of the sweeping turn, the REAR actually OVERSTEERED---I was turning RIGHT and normally the FRONT would slide to the LEFT-thereby understeering----but this time----the car's REAR end fishtailed to the LEFT while I was turning RIGHT----thereby sliding the FRONT of the car to the RIGHT---and close to doing a 180-----something i did not think this FWD car would do. In my BMW, the Rear would slide left but it always centered out or even understeered at the end because of the Stability Control.

Fortunately, I grabbed control and pulled it back straight, I was surprised the Acura Stability Control didn't kick in earlier, I know its the new RSB, I wanted to really figure out what it could do, but now I figured out its limits. You can take corners a little faster but WATCH OUT for...... oversteer.....I don't think the Acura Stability Control knows what to do with it.

Happy Motoring.

P>S> I can't remember, now that we have OVERSTEER, is there is rule against letting off the gas pedal on a turn?
Sure, you can get oversteer in a FWD car. My friend's Integra Type-R had throttle-on oversteer, just like a RWD. It's all in the suspension.

Whether you get throttle-on oversteer or not, you shouldn't let off the throttle in a corner in a FWD because it will induce lift-throttle oversteer. By letting off the gas pedal, the front tires will no longer be pulling, and "lock up", causing the rear end to spin out. This is how I lost control of my car on the track going 80 mph on a rainy day. Don't try it at home.
Old 10-25-2005 | 08:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Twenties

Happy Motoring.

If you had your 20" chromes on that will effect the handling as well
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:44 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Originally Posted by simont53
If you had your 20" chromes on that will effect the handling as well
Yes. I had the lightweight 20-inch wheels BEFORE the RSB, felt different without RSB. Thanks.

Oh and thanks Andenaline, for the info & tip, I think thats what happened to me, I should have stayed on the throttle instead of letting off after flooring it before.