Acura to Replace Bridgestones!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Especially considering they probably wouldn't fit.

Mike
Old 01-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire rack has them for the '04 5ATs, so I guess they do. For a winter tire, a narrower width is usually better.
Originally posted by svtmike

Mike
Old 01-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by svtmike

Mike
The spare on the AT TL is 16" rim.

The MT TL is a funky 17" to fit over the brembos.

so if this person has AT, then 16" would fit (also tire rack has 16" snow tire option for 04 TL).
Old 01-28-2004, 03:59 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for your replies

Being a non-automobile type person, sadly, I need to rely on information of others. The tire guy I talked with was perfectly serious in his discussion. I, of course, don't really know enough about this to comment. Other than informational purposes, that also was the purpose of the post- in part to get the reaction of others who know far more than I. I do like the car, and would like to keep the car. I didn't think I was buying a sports car, I thought it was a midsized "sporty" car made by a respected manufacturer. I do not expect the ride of a Rolls-Royce. Hopefully, a simple change of tires will make this issue go away -- as I still do wish to keep the car. Also, I usually take my medication with water rather than putting it in my coffee, and yes I did take all my pills today.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Banned

Re: Thanks for your replies

Originally posted by hdrasin
Being a non-automobile type person, sadly, I need to rely on information of others. The tire guy I talked with was perfectly serious in his discussion. I, of course, don't really know enough about this to comment. Other than informational purposes, that also was the purpose of the post- in part to get the reaction of others who know far more than I. I do like the car, and would like to keep the car. I didn't think I was buying a sports car, I thought it was a midsized "sporty" car made by a respected manufacturer. I do not expect the ride of a Rolls-Royce. Hopefully, a simple change of tires will make this issue go away -- as I still do wish to keep the car. Also, I usually take my medication with water rather than putting it in my coffee, and yes I did take all my pills today.
Thanks hdrasin, well, part of the problem with many of us is that we are fed up with the tire issue, so we kind of go overboard, as we all wish the tires were better.

Good luck to you whatever happens and I hope some of the info was helpful.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: follow-up

Originally posted by huskerfan
If you didn't want a sport sedan, why did you buy the TL? I'm way over 40 and don't want a car that doesn't handle well. That's why I bought the TL over Lexus or some american made battleship.

Additionally, the older I get the better I want my car to handle since reflexes slow with age.
I have the same problem. So I keep on spending more money on my late model stock car's engine to compensate. Can't let a 20-something beat you!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by LED Master
The spare on the AT TL is 16" rim.
Thanks! I thought someone stated the spare was 17", probably a 6MT owner.

Mike
Old 01-28-2004, 06:44 PM
Advanced

I wrote a two page letter to Acura a week ago also letting them know that I would hold off on two other Acura purchases until this issue is resolved. I gave them two weeks to respond to my request for new tires and then I would replace the tires and seek legal action for reinbursment. The communication from Acura has been nothing but pathetic. It's amazing how even this far into the process you can still get 3 or more answers as to what will be done and when..
Old 01-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Does anyone here have the address for ACS and Corporate here in North America? I called ACS up this afternoon to have a simple question answered. I think folks that call up Kia support get better treatment! I paid $35000 for a car and don't expect to be sh*t upon! Half way thru the call, she hung up on me. I want to make crystal clear to Acura that NOBODY who has shelled out this much cash should be treated this way. I have had better service from GM!
Old 01-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

I spoke to my dealer a number of times and most recently was told that february cars are going to have another redesigned bridgestone tire on it and that the dealer will swap out tires for current owners on an individual basis. I guess that means that some owners probably are not complaining. But I am!!
Old 01-28-2004, 07:45 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm going to complain 2morrow to ACS... if i get the time.
If any body can drop me a toll free # for ACS.... too lazy to look it up.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:21 PM
Banned

This was posted on anouther thread (http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=69189) by "Tread" seems like maybe we sould be flooding the Bridgestone Technical Center with phone calls instead, we have tried everything else:

A Bridgestone tire dealer told me that the best number to call at Bridgestone is the:

Bridgestone Technical Center in Akron OH - 1-800-847-3272

Hours of operation are from 8am - 4:30pm EST.

These are the people who take care of the technical issues.

Don't call (BS) customer service, that is a waste.

Good luck to us all.

So get your fingers dialing and let the Bridgestone technical center (not bridgestone customer svc) people know what you think of thier tires!

Thanks Tread!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gbriank
Does anyone here have the address for ACS and Corporate here in North America? I called ACS up this afternoon to have a simple question answered. I think folks that call up Kia support get better treatment! I paid $35000 for a car and don't expect to be sh*t upon! Half way thru the call, she hung up on me. I want to make crystal clear to Acura that NOBODY who has shelled out this much cash should be treated this way. I have had better service from GM!
Acura Client Services Office
Mail Stop 500-2N-7E
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

From that same thread: http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=69189
Old 01-29-2004, 10:04 AM
Instructor

I recieved a call from my service manager yesterday. He stated that he was told by his District Manager that Acura Corporate will be annoucing a "fix" for the tire issue and the memory issue within the next 2-3 weeks. No other information at this time. No idea as to what the fixes are.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Here we go again! Promises, promises, promises! That's all we ever get...no real hard information! We are always told we will hear something "next week." Next week never comes. If Acura is going to fix it, what adnvantage is there for them to wait "a few weeks" to make announcement? THERE WOULD BE NONE. They would have announced weeks ago. I think we are just in denial on this. It isn't going to happen.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ramilford
Here we go again! Promises, promises, promises! That's all we ever get...no real hard information! We are always told we will hear something "next week." Next week never comes. If Acura is going to fix it, what adnvantage is there for them to wait "a few weeks" to make announcement? THERE WOULD BE NONE. They would have announced weeks ago. I think we are just in denial on this. It isn't going to happen.
Man, what a pessimist. If you aren't in communication with YOUR dealer, you are right, nothing is going to happen. They are not going to replace the tires on every TL they sold over the last 3-4 months. Only the ones where the owner has complained. They are also not going to continue to use the flat-spotting BS tires on new cars from the factory. Dealerships who take the time to call their regional or district guy can find this out. At this point the dealerships have not gotten a formal announcement. Be positive man. It's going to happen.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Advanced

Hey, guys, cool it a bit. This isn't easy for them. First, engineering has to agree they understand the problem and evaluated all the possible remedies. Management has to determine a policy and line up the parts and procedures to implement them. Changes have to be made at the factory. And this is costing them serious dinero, which will have to be recuped on future sales.

What good would a fix be if it didn't work or the parts were backordered for 6 months?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Instructor

I have been in touch with my dealer and they say they haven't heard of any tire problem. (Can't beleive that!) My car is supposed to be built on Feb 10-14. How will I know if it has better tires than what they have now? They have agreed to deliver car with Pilots A/S on the rims but for $900 extra. If the tires are fixed I could save the money. HELP!
Old 01-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Team Owner

They have agreed to deliver car with Pilots A/S on the rims but for $900 extra. If the tires are fixed I could save the money. HELP!
You're getting ripped. You could go to Discount Tire and get them cheaper ($870 list). I also got a $50 per tire trade-in on the OEM BS (now you're at $670).

Mike
Old 01-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been in touch with my dealer and they say they haven't heard of any tire problem. (Can't beleive that!) My car is supposed to be built on Feb 10-14. How will I know if it has better tires than what they have now? They have agreed to deliver car with Pilots A/S on the rims but for $900 extra. If the tires are fixed I could save the money. HELP!
Just curious, Superior Acura?

Anyways, there are plenty of TL owners out there who don't have issues with their tires and some are forum members on this board.

My plan when I pick up my car on Feb. 6th is to test drive the car before signing anything to see if a vibration or any other issue exists. If everything is fine, just sign and drive. If not, I'll address and talk to the dealer about my problems. If I don't get a satisfactory response, I walk. Simple as that.

My guess is that everything will be fine, hopefully, and I'll be driving away with a huge smile.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:48 PM
7th Gear

It takes time to know

It took me almost two weeks to realize that something was seriously wrong. Plus, you need to drive frequently under various different conditions and speeds before you will be sure.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: It takes time to know

Originally posted by hdrasin
It took me almost two weeks to realize that something was seriously wrong. Plus, you need to drive frequently under various different conditions and speeds before you will be sure.
Well, unfortunately, the dealership isn't going to give you two weeks to test drive the car. My whole point is that if something is quite noticeable with the car the time to bring this up is before you sign your life away, that's it.

Norse from IL on this forum test drove every TL on the lot and they all vibrated at speed due to the flatspotting I'm presuming. So, when you test drive the car and it vibrates, that's the time to address the issue.

I fully understand additional issues/problems may arise at a later date once you drive under multiple conditions and speeds. Hell, to some degree or another, every car will have some sort of problem.

Just trying to help Ramilford along with the process.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

From what I've been told and based your car being built in February, you should not have the flat spotting problem.

Under no circumstances would I agree to pay that $900. If you get a car that flat-spots then you'll be in the same boat with the rest of us. Which means your tires should be replaced in March. Save that $900 for the worst case scenario where you must replace your tires at your own expense. At least you'd have an extra set (flat-spotting Bridgstones) at that time to try to sell and recoup some of your expense.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Cruisin'

I have been reading all the post on the tire issue, and I also have the same vibration from the tires. I complain to my dealership about it, and they re-balanced the tires like they pretty much did for everyone. The problem still persisted. I received a call from my service advisor this morning, and they said that Acura is sending a new set tires (diff than the el42) to them to address the vibration issue. He did not specify what the tire would be, however, he will call me when they are in, and then change them out for me. I will post again when I get them on, and let you know if this fixes the problem and what tire they put on.

2004 TL /NBP/Parchment/Navi/
Old 01-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by dcarlinf1
From what I've been told and based your car being built in February, you should not have the flat spotting problem.

Under no circumstances would I agree to pay that $900. If you get a car that flat-spots then you'll be in the same boat with the rest of us. Which means your tires should be replaced in March. Save that $900 for the worst case scenario where you must replace your tires at your own expense. At least you'd have an extra set (flat-spotting Bridgstones) at that time to try to sell and recoup some of your expense.

Thanks, dcarlinf1. I think I will take your advice. As you say, I can always spend my money on new tires later, if necessary!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Banned

Bridgestone Engineering

I spoke to Bridgestone Engineering (via the Bridgestone Tech Center number in the above post).

they said that there is NO program to replace the EL-42's on the TL, and if there is a problem, go to a Bridgestone / Firestone owned store (not an affiliate) to have them checked, but they WILL NOT replace all 4, only the one that they find defective, AND before 3/32's are worn off the tire.

They DO NOT use HUNTER 9700 road force balance machines, they said they ARE NOT needed (that's their problem, they won't get them because they know they have problems).

EVERYONE with this issue should call the tech center and complain, make them regret this!

This is not their customer service people, but their technical people on this line!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Cruisin'

I'd like to see more info also,

I just talked to a dealer in Tn, I brought up the tire issue with him, he siad "Bridgestone" is in Tn, and he had talked to the factory direct, he said they said, there is no problems with the tires and no info on changing them out.. .sounds like something a Mfg would say... Stay Tuned for the Truth hopefully..

Thanks for the info it's good to be able to get this type of information, can you beleive what the internet has done for us.. it's great..
Old 01-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Bridgestone Engineering

Originally posted by Tread
they said that there is NO program to replace the EL-42's on the TL
I hope that means the replacements will NOT be Bridgestones.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Cruisin'

Good Point...

I have not bought a TL, Yet, I am trying to convince my wife who is see only $$$ over the Accord V-6, I am taking her to a dealer this weekend to drive the Accord V-6 then go drive the TL, any help you guys can give me would be appreciated..

The price of the Accord, fully loaded v-6 is $23,744 at discount, the TL is list $33,195 MSRP, (trying to establish a discount) I need to get her to move up the scale a bit... Hopefullly the ride comparison will convince her,but keep in mind, she drives a Saturn Vue, 4cy manual....UGH... and likes it!

I am going to post this as a question in the forum also, I hope I dont piss people off..

Dave

Email me if you would like with any ammunition to davidki@yahoo.com.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Just spoke to Acura (Trent) on the phone. He said several? persons have called and Acura has noted the concern. However, the Acura engineers don't think this "concern" warrants any type of recall or adjustment to customers at this time, which I assume is telling me to "Forget about it!" So it seems my fantasy of a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports A/S is just that. Trent got a chuckle out of that.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Cruisin'

Conti's do not flat spot

I'm in Colorado. Been up and down the hills ... snow, slush, cold, warm ... no vibration, no noise, no flatspotting. Great traction & handles great. Extreme Contacts, I mean.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Advanced

My Letter to Acura

Here is a copy of the letter I sent to Acura. I encourage all who feel the same to spend the time to do so as well. I have crossed out the names of the parties involved.

January 20, 2004

Acura Automobile Division
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, CA 90501.2746

Dear Acura Customer Service,

I have been a satisfied Honda and Acura brand customer for over ten years with the purchase of two new Honda and five new Acura automobiles over the last ten years. I am presently in the process of purchasing a new Acura MDX and TSX for my family. As you can see I have been a loyal customer primarily due to the quality products and service I have received from your company and dealerships.

This November I purchased a new 04 TL VIN number XXXXXXXX. Since I have owned this car it has had several mechanical issues that it has been back to the dealer for including tire flat spotting on the Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires. This problem occurs when the car has been driven for about a half hour on the highway and then parked in a cold location. Once the car is driven again the front end vibrates from moderately to sometimes quite strong. Since I have had this problem my font alignment as been out twice most likely to this issue. I have spoken to the service director at my dealer on this issue multiple times and he is well aware of the problem and has assured me that “Acura is aware of the problem and is working on a solution”. To date it has now been several months and this problem persists and has grown worse and there is still no word of any solution. I have researched this problem and have found that there are many other customers with this exact same problem with some of them having their tires replaced by the dealer and (with Michelin Pilot Sport/AS tires- fixed the problem every time), approved by Acura corporate.

I have approached my dealer (XXXX) who will not replace my tires and has told me to wait for the fix from Acura and in the meantime advised me to “hold off on realigning my front end as it could be due to the vibration issue”. I have been very patient for quite some time but can no longer wait as the vibration has made my car very unpleasant to drive and under some conditions unsafe feeling. It is difficult to know if I have a flat tire or the flat spotting issue at times. I have expended considerable time with this issue and I am extremely dissatisfied at the way my dealer and Acura have handled this important issue. I have an open case with Acura customer service and I have been informed once again “that Acura is working on a solution”. I am very disappointed with this as I have confirmed with another Acura service manager, XXXXXXXX that Acura authorized him to replace a customers EL42 tires with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires.

At this time I am requesting the replacement of my EL42 tires with the same Michelin tires others have received. I find it insulting that Acura has “hand picked” customers for tire replacement and this time consuming and unpleasant experience has greatly impacted my perception of Acura customer service to the point where I am refraining from the purchase of my two new Acura vehicles until Acura resolves this issue to my satisfaction. I believe that Acura has made a grave mistake in not responding to the customers with this issue and I personally know of three individuals who are waiting for this issue to be rectified before they purchase an 04TL.

As of this point I intend to replace my El42 tires with the tries mentioned above within two weeks if Acura does not provide me with the same equitable treatment that other customers have received. Should these tires be replaced at my cost I intend to take any legal means necessary to recover my expenses. I hope that Acura will make the right decision as they have always done so in the past. The 04 TL is a great car but the EL42 tire issue makes it quite a disappointment for myself and many other drivers.

Sincerely,

XXXXX
Old 01-30-2004, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Good luck, but right now I would be happy with an aero kit and new tires!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:36 PM
Banned

good luck! one more letter for them to shread
Old 01-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by LED Master
good luck! one more letter for them to shread
If you let your dealer know they are loosing business it can make a difference. If you are serious about an issue you will take the time to put it in writing. I checked and my letter is on file at this time. I will be going to a new dealer for my service and they will know that. A good dealer would eat the cost of the tires to earn the loyalty and respect of the customer. Do the math- 2 cars is a lot of tires!
Old 01-30-2004, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Was at dealer again today. They continue to say that some type of replacement resolution is in the works for next month. They said that they pushed on their regional rep when he was in the store yesterday about all the heat they are taking from us customers on the issue. The seemed satisfied that we would get something in Feb. (although they acknowledge that they do not believe it will be Michelin).

I know that this is not new news...but just fyi.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Re: Good Point...

Originally posted by davidki
I have not bought a TL, Yet, I am trying to convince my wife who is see only $$$ over the Accord V-6, I am taking her to a dealer this weekend to drive the Accord V-6 then go drive the TL, any help you guys can give me would be appreciated..

The price of the Accord, fully loaded v-6 is $23,744 at discount, the TL is list $33,195 MSRP, (trying to establish a discount) I need to get her to move up the scale a bit... Hopefullly the ride comparison will convince her,but keep in mind, she drives a Saturn Vue, 4cy manual....UGH... and likes it!

I am going to post this as a question in the forum also, I hope I dont piss people off..

Dave

Email me if you would like with any ammunition to davidki@yahoo.com.
I also cross shopped the Accord V6 against the TL. I assume the $23,744 is for the LX and not the EX. If you are comparing an Accord to the TL, you really ought to use the top of the line EX.
I was offered an EX V6 for invoice + 3% without any negotiation. I ordered a TL w/Nav and the drive-out price was about 5K more than the loaded Accord. I felt the difference in luxury items (DVD-A, BLUETOOTH, Better leather, HID lights, MID, heated mirrors, etc.), performance, and the longer warranty justified the price difference. Drive both cars and make of list of standard equipment comparing both cars. I think you will see you get quite a bit more for the extra money for the TL.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Advanced

Bridgstone Tech

a
Old 01-30-2004, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Bridgstone Tech

Originally posted by neversat
I just got off the phone with a tech at Firestone
Are Firestone and Bridgestone one in the same now?? Or is this just a typo?
Old 01-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Bridgstone Tech

Originally posted by dcarlinf1
Are Firestone and Bridgestone one in the same now?? Or is this just a typo?
I think Firestone is the parent but not sure. Call the number above! I bet they know. CALL!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Acura to Replace Bridgestones!