Acura to Replace Bridgestones!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 11:18 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
So if we want new tires, just call acura and report vibration and flatspotting problems? Even if we dont have those problems.... cool.... I want new Michelin's
Old 01-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is Correct

My dealer is replacing the EL 42's today, as we speak, with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's. The service manager told me that Acura / Bridgestone will issue a letter to owners (I don't know which ones) announcing the EL 42 problem and that Bridgestone will replace them with a "new" type tire. He said that that process is to begin in February.

I was given a choice - replace with Michelin's as the dealer had already agreed to do after attempting to balance the EL 42'a and after several consultations with Acura Region and Acura Corporate. Or, wait for the Bridgestone replacements in February. I chose the Michelin's.

The dealer, Acura of Auburn (Mass.) has been great. They have been accomodating and understanding. Each step of this process has been professionally handled.

I didn't rant and rave, whine or beat them up over this. They and Acura did the right thing. I'm not a repeat customer - this is my first car from the dealership. (2nd Acura)
Old 01-22-2004, 11:40 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by stargate
Has anyone heard about new 04 TL's which are currently being built? Will they still have the EL 42 tires or will it (hopefully) be something new and familiar (i.e. Michelin's)?

BTW has anyone heard if the ealry build problems have been addressed with the cars that are now coming off of the assembly line?
I don't know about the tires, but I do know that rattles are still coming and going for all the cars rolling off the assembly line. This probably has to do with the way Acura designed their interior and the method with which they mounted the plastic parts to the rest of the car, so it will not change with more recent builds unless they revamp the way they fasten the interior materials.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:banghead: :argue:
Old 01-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Advanced

nshvlltl,

I have an appt next Friday in Nashville (Gary Force) in regards to the tire issue. He mentioned that they have had several customers w/ tire vibrations, but are unaware of any fix from Acura (TSB).

I'll let you know what happens next week. I just wanted to make sure I got the car in and made them aware so when Acura reaches a resolution, I can get taken care of.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:25 AM
10th Gear

Mine was at the dealer yesterday (1/22) so the regional service manager could check out the tires. He drove it, confirmed the cold flatspotting vibration, told me that it was a "characteristic" of the tire, told me that Acura was aware of the complaints...but offered no solution. He said nothing about any program to replace the tires.

KV
Old 01-23-2004, 10:33 AM
4th Gear

I just took my new 04 TL into dealer this am...for a problem w/ memory settings...also mentioned tire vibration...he tells me that Acura will be replacing OEM tires with a new model...still Bridgestones...that will solve the problem...also..they will offer 1 free accesory item to each owner...I chose the winter floor mats, and they will be installed today...looking forward to it, as i wished i had bit the bullet and purchased them with the car...good luck to all
Old 01-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by ejb1445
I just took my new 04 TL into dealer this am...for a problem w/ memory settings...also mentioned tire vibration...he tells me that Acura will be replacing OEM tires with a new model...still Bridgestones...that will solve the problem...also..they will offer 1 free accesory item to each owner...I chose the winter floor mats, and they will be installed today...looking forward to it, as i wished i had bit the bullet and purchased them with the car...good luck to all
they as in acura??? or they as in your specific dealer?
Old 01-23-2004, 10:54 AM
4th Gear

he said that Aura had instructed the dealership to convey this offer
Old 01-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Instructor

ejb1445,

Who is your dealer?
Originally posted by ejb1445
he said that Aura had instructed the dealership to convey this offer
Old 01-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Cruisin'

mengle

Thanks for the update. I don't take delivery of the TL until the middle of Feburary but want to make sure that they are aware of the situation at GF Acura. maybe i'll see ya on the I-65.

nshvlltl
Old 01-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Just called my Dealer and spoke with the service manager in RI , he said Acura is aware of the problem and will be REPLACING tires. He will let me know when they come in .
Old 01-23-2004, 04:03 PM
HMFIC

I bet this will go down as a Secret Warranty item instead of a TSB or Recall. In this case, Acura would, on a customer by customer basis, verify the vibration and replace as necessary.

This way they avoid saying they made a mistake.

Don
Old 01-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by zexi
Just called my Dealer and spoke with the service manager in RI , he said Acura is aware of the problem and will be REPLACING tires. He will let me know when they come in .
Just heard the same today. It is my understanding they will be replaced with another BS tire, hopefully not the El42! Cudos to those who got their tires replaced with Pilot Sports. A memo went out to my dealer today saying NOT to repace any tires fro customers as Acura will be doing so. Some people lucked out and had very good dealers who were responsive to customer service.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by neversat
Just heard the same today. It is my understanding they will be replaced with another BS tire, hopefully not the El42! Cudos to those who got their tires replaced with Pilot Sports. A memo went out to my dealer today saying NOT to repace any tires fro customers as Acura will be doing so. Some people lucked out and had very good dealers who were responsive to customer service.
Heard similar story today (at Gary Force mengle/nshvlltl).
Old 01-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Advanced

bigdomer,

Who is your service advisor? Did they say that they are replacing tires or just that they are aware that Acura is looking into it?
Old 01-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Makes sense that it is a BS tire, if you were the maker, would you not replace the tires vs get charge backs for a different brand?

Also, would you not want to make your customer happy for future sales (ie BS to make Acura happy)?

I wonder if it will be the Turanza LS-Z tire, which also flat spots? Or if they will put a rayon or polyamide belt in it vs the cold memory effect nylon

It would make sense to stay with Turaza's as all the sales literature and car reviews specify them as that model of BS.

What a quandry they have woven by putting the tire brand and type in the sales literature.

It would be the smart thing to drop the EL-42's with it's poor tread design for all-weather traction (snow is poor, wet is poor) they are just not safe.

Remember, the reviews on the tire rack rate the tire at the bottom of the barrel for 30 or so tires in thier category
Old 01-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Instructor

I had a Tire recall on a 99 Honda Accord Coupe.
They were Bridgestone tires.
Only a certain serial# or date or whatever, was subject to be changed.
The letter from Honda explained how to tell if the tire would be replaced. If we weren't sure, we could take the car to a Firestone/Bridgestone dealer for inspection and or replacement.

I am going to assume that no matter how many tires might be replaced, it will be done by Bridgestone.

Eneg
Old 01-23-2004, 10:01 PM
Instructor

mengle -

Marcus is my S.A. He just said that Acura recently acknowledged the problem and is very close to a solution. He echoed the above post in saying that it looks like it will be a Bridgestone replacement. He seemed to be expecting formal word any day as he was worried about how they were going to squeeze all of the TLs into the service schedule to do the swaps.

I guess we'll see.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Advanced

big domer,

Thanks! I am going in on Friday and will let you know what I find out.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:05 AM
3rd Gear

Has anyone had any conversations with service managers in the Dallas Tx area regarding the tire problems and any potential resolution?

My TL pulled to one side from the day I took delivery. After a couple of trips to the dealer to check the alignment, the dealer said I had a bad tire and instructed me to visit a Firestone dealer for a replacement. Visited the Firestone dealer, convinced them I had a "bad" tire and got the tire replaced. Now, I have a vibration in the steering wheel that did not exist before and the car still pulls to one side! Not only did they replace the wrong tire, but the new tire must have introduced the vibration.

Called my local Acura dealer and told them I was tired of dealing with this issue. After getting back with me, they basically washed their hands of the problem and referred me back to Firestone.

I just want the problem resolved short of me going out and buying new tires. I'm too busy to keep making trips to the Acura or Firestone dealers!
Old 01-24-2004, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Called, but no reply from my service manager. Guess the honeymoon is over...and here I thought they'd be so nice. Funny thing, bought the TL and MDX in the same month from the dealer, 18 miles away, through and around metro DC traffic. Largest Acura dealer in the world is 3 miles from me. If my second call isn't returned, who do you think will get the thou$ands in service business. Got to wonder what goes through these folks heads.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Advanced

Does anyone sense a pattern here?? What I'm sensing is a lot of ducking from Acura corporate, confusion from a lot of dealers, and a lot of customers sucking wind listening to BS (no, not Bridgestone) rumors. I replaced the EL42s with Michelin Pilot Sports and the car runs like I expected it to run when I bought it. End of story.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:23 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally posted by bear1
Has anyone had any conversations with service managers in the Dallas Tx area regarding the tire problems and any potential resolution?

My TL pulled to one side from the day I took delivery. After a couple of trips to the dealer to check the alignment, the dealer said I had a bad tire and instructed me to visit a Firestone dealer for a replacement. Visited the Firestone dealer, convinced them I had a "bad" tire and got the tire replaced. Now, I have a vibration in the steering wheel that did not exist before and the car still pulls to one side! Not only did they replace the wrong tire, but the new tire must have introduced the vibration.

Called my local Acura dealer and told them I was tired of dealing with this issue. After getting back with me, they basically washed their hands of the problem and referred me back to Firestone.

I just want the problem resolved short of me going out and buying new tires. I'm too busy to keep making trips to the Acura or Firestone dealers!
Bear1,
What dealer are you "engaged" with in Dallas?
Old 01-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Cruisin'

Bigdomer

Thanks for the information. Marcus is my SA as well, so I'm glad he knows about the issue. Hopefully this won't be an problem when I pick up my TL in a couple of weeks.

nshvlltl
Old 01-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
gotsand? said

Does anyone sense a pattern here?? What I'm sensing is a lot of ducking from Acura corporate, confusion from a lot of dealers, and a lot of customers sucking wind listening to BS (no, not Bridgestone) rumors. I replaced the EL42s with Michelin Pilot Sports and the car runs like I expected it to run when I bought it. End of story.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you suggesting that we should just take our lumps and not complain? That would not feel right to me (not to mention the lost dollars on the new tires). If faulty tires are indeed the problem here than you should complain and get satisfaction. You spent your hard earned money.

Many times it would be simpler and cheaper to just take care of a problem that was not our creation, but if you do that the cheaters and incompetents win.

If this a demonstratable problem then the dealer's service tech should take a test drive and feel the vibration too. If they don't think it is the tires, then get them to sign something that says they will pay you x dollars for a new set that you purchase if that is the only thing you change and if it works.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by bear1

My TL isn't in yet, but I mentioned the tire problem to Vandergriff. They said they hadn't had any tire problems reported. That was several weeks ago.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,241 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally posted by huskerfan
My TL isn't in yet, but I mentioned the tire problem to Vandergriff. They said they hadn't had any tire problems reported. That was several weeks ago.
Mine is due in on Tuesday and got the same response from My dealer. They haven't heard of any problems??!!??!!??
Old 01-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Advanced

I'm not suggesting anything, legendguy. Quite a few people have complained (I am one of them), and a few-- from what I've read--have gotten satisfaction with replacement tires from dealers. The rest of us have gotten a lot of rumors, BS, and have been put on hold till something happens sometime in the future. That's not a suggestion, that seems to be a fact. I chose to replace the tires with the same hard earned money (as have several others on this forum) that bought the car in the first place. I'm not finished by a long shot. What I did is my personal choice.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:58 PM
WDP Director of R & D

I didn't even bother with my dealer. I just called Acura and opened a file for the flatspotting and excess vibration.. I'll call them every two weeks just to keep the file active and to let them know how disgusted I am with this cheap tire vs caliber of vehicle.

If and when / if ever / Acura does do anything about it, the issue is documented.

Smitty
Old 01-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Huskerfan:

Just got my TL this past week....Turanza's were produced in batches 5003 and 5103 (50 and 51st weeks of 2003). I have been driving around the metroplex and haven't experienced any flatspotting as of yet. Their wet traction isn't the best (wasn't expecting anything good though). I would rate this tire as fair. Acura could have done a LOT better. These tires maybe a part of the "new" design batch that don't have issues....I hope.....
Old 01-25-2004, 09:56 AM
Advanced

I'm with gotsand.

As SVTMike put it a bunch of us hit the FIP point. (F__k it Point)

I sure am not happy of shelling $1000 bucks but I must say after having the A/S Sports for 3 weeks now it is a new car.

It is incredible how much more solid this car is with the Sports. They are great tires. The only downfall is the 70mph highway noise on bad highways. (But I swear the EL42s also made noise - it is hard to quantify the noise difference.)

Still have my EL42's in the basement ready for the nylon free EL42 replacement tires that will go on EBay. I will never put a Bridgestone on this car!!!!! (out of principle)
Old 01-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by DaveB99
I'm with gotsand.

As SVTMike put it a bunch of us hit the FIP point. (F__k it Point)

I sure am not happy of shelling $1000 bucks but I must say after having the A/S Sports for 3 weeks now it is a new car.

It is incredible how much more solid this car is with the Sports. They are great tires. The only downfall is the 70mph highway noise on bad highways. (But I swear the EL42s also made noise - it is hard to quantify the noise difference.)

Still have my EL42's in the basement ready for the nylon free EL42 replacement tires that will go on EBay. I will never put a Bridgestone on this car!!!!! (out of principle)
Old 01-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by ramilford
The TL should run quiet. Tires that are noisey can't be the greatest tires on a lux/sport car. Pilots are consistently said to be loud on this site. What do you guys think?
Old 01-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I've got the Pilot Sport A/S tires. They are slightly louder than the Bridgestones, but are quieter than the skinnier Michelin Symmetry touring tires on my wife's Odyssey (from the standpoint of tire noise inside the car). I don't think that they are too loud for the luxury character of the car.

In all other respects they are far superior to the Bridgestones.

Mike
Old 01-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Advanced

I think the noise level is the same. Neither tire has much noise.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by ramilford
The TL should run quiet. Tires that are noisey can't be the greatest tires on a lux/sport car. Pilots are consistently said to be loud on this site. What do you guys think?

IMO, if TL indicates itself as Sporty sedan, running quietly would never be a characteristic Acura would look for. Although EL42 is not a good tire, its quietness seems to satisfy lots of ppl.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Should I have the dealer put Michelin Pilot A/S tires on when I take delivery or should accept the original equipment tires and hope for a fix? And hope they reimburse me for my upgrade?
Old 01-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
gotsand? and DaveB99,

I guess I can see your point now that you've explained it some more. Anyway, life is not always fair, and at least this is fixable without modifying the car itself (just its shoes). So I hope that Acura will eventually address this tire issue and compensate you also. Best of luck to you both and enjoy the improvement you made.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:23 AM
7th Gear

Too many tire problems

I went to my Acura dealer with my new TL last week before I knew anything about tire problems. The car was riding very harshly and had excessive vibration at highway speeds. He said the tire was over inflated and lower it to 32 psi which is recommended. It did help improve the ride, it's not as harsh and slightly more soft -- but the vibration at highway speeds is clearly excessive and unacceptable. I called them back several times last week. They claim to know nothing. They were supposed to call me back on Friday but never did. This doesn't speak very highly of Acura or the local dealer in Santa Monica. You can be sure I will be calling them back on Monday and talking to the service manager.

Quick Reply: Acura to Replace Bridgestones!