Acura to Replace Bridgestones!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 01:08 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEWS FLASH

I have just been notified by my case manager at Acura that a service bulletin has been announced Re: tire replacement. She stated something like dealers on a case-by-case basis will consider replacement for tires of customers who have complained about vibration. Acura will not reimburse individuals directly who have purchased replacement tires. Obviously, they have waited for many weeks to resolve my case, as my request for reimbursement was submitted perhaps a month ago, and the first complaint of a problem was discussed with my dealer at the beginning of January. They therefore will not reimburse out-of-pocket expenses. Dealers do not currently have the replacement tires, but will notify people when they arrive. No arrival date was listed. She did not know what types of tires these were.
My feeling is that have been stonewalling and avoiding responsibility for their error, and left us and holding the bag. $35,000 for car, but no satisfaction or customer service at Acura. I regret having purchased the car at this point, my budget did not count on spending $1000 to replace mismatched tires. I guess that leaves personal recourse either through Small Claims Court or class-action lawsuit. (Parenthetically) anybody know a good lawyer?
Old 03-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
I just talked to my service manager about the tires. He said Acura requires that they be tested when cold, once with 32 psi and once with 35 psi, so I have to leave the car and they will give me a rental car. I had already increased my tire pressure to 35 psi and it didn't help, so I went back to 32 psi. I know I have the problem every morning when I drive off so I hope they can duplicate it and don't give me a line of bull.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Before you jump off suing Acura, I think you should sit back and calm down. There is no law that says Acura has to put tires on the car that you want. There is no law that says Acura has to put the best tires on the car. A little vibration for the first few miles while the tires warm up is a characteristic of many low profile tires, and, while annoying, is most likely not a defect under the lemon law. The tires are more than adequate for all "reasonable" driving under the conditions. Acura is not going to buy you new tires just so you can go 90 miles an hour in a driving rain storm (don't laugh, someone here posted just that, that he was unhappy because he hyrdoplaned at 90 mph in a rain storm where he "couldn't see 10 feet"). I have yet to hyrdoplane on these tires or get stuck in the snow (and yes, I have driven many miles in conditions that would have and did cause other cars around me to hyrdoplane and get stuck in the snow). So much is in the skill and common sense of the driver.

As a personal observation, I've never seen any enthusiast happy with stock tires. You should all just build the cost of new tires into the cost of the car. On the Gen 2, you had Michelins and everyone complained. Now Michelin is God. Most of the folks out there have prejudged these tires based on Tire Rack reviews of similarly named tires used on other cheaper automobiles as well as on "slightly" more expensive cars like the 7 Series BMWs. I'm not saying that these are great tires. Far from it. But they are NOT the horrible dangerous tires that many here want to make them out to be. It may be true once you get to 90mph on the twisties. Sorry, I wouldn't know. But Acura didn't promise they'd be.

I am, quite frankly, more than surprised that Acura and Bridgestone have agreed to do anything at all.

Lastly, why $1000 to replace the tires? Tirerack, Pirelli Pzero Nero's, $127. Mounted, about $150. Total cost $600. Still not cheap, but if you're concerned about money....
Old 03-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My new re-engineered bridgestones are on order. A different tire is not an option. But, I can trade them at the local tire shop for the tires I want before I put any miles on them. This is what I am going to do. Hope I get a decent price for them. Dealer did not require verification of the problem. He trusts me. I consider this acceptable.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Racer

guess it's a dealer to dealer thing. My dealer went to bat for me and got me some Pilots. If yours will not then I suggest finding another dealer.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Racer

Originally posted by dcarlinf1
My new re-engineered bridgestones are on order. A different tire is not an option. But, I can trade them at the local tire shop for the tires I want before I put any miles on them. This is what I am going to do. Hope I get a decent price for them. Dealer did not require verification of the problem. He trusts me. I consider this acceptable.

Same situation here. My dealer is ordering the replacements from tirerack, but they have not received them from Bridgestone yet. I tried to get Michelins, even pay the difference - no go. Maybe I'll try for another set of Birdgestones. The RE950's got really good reviews on tirerack - second highest score. Any thoughts on these?

Also, yes, Acura made a big mistake by going with the Bridgestones as OEM. But the blame for its quality/performance should be placed on Bridgestone, not Acura.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Racer

Originally posted by jgrahamiii
Lastly, why $1000 to replace the tires? Tirerack, Pirelli Pzero Nero's, $127. Mounted, about $150. Total cost $600. Still not cheap, but if you're concerned about money....
Good point, but you forgot shipping charges (and sales tax in some states).

Also, some people have been able to get local tire dealers to take their EL42's in trade, for a couple hundred $$ in credit toward the new tires. A great deal if you can find it, as a way to lower the price.

I agree with your post on the safety aspect of the EL42s. I don't consider them unsafe, and have said in more than one post that anybody that considers them unsafe should be advocating the immediate recall of most tires and cars on the road today.

But I do consider these tires (the original formulation, anyway) completely unacceptable on the TL just due to the flatspotting. This isn't a necessary characteristic of a performance tire. I've had better tires that don't do it. It seems to have something to do with nylon belts, PLUS the way they are applied and how much they use. Some of the tires without a flat-spotting problem say they have nylon in them, so it isn't just a "nylon" problem. In warm climates, the EL42's are probably OK, and an owner may not even notice a problem. But where it gets cold in the winter, or where the TL isn't driven on a daily basis, the problem can get bad, even to the extent that the flat spots WON'T drive out of the tire even after 20 miles or so when it's really cold and the car has been sitting for a week or so. (I've experienced that).

Acura's new requirement that the dealer has to verify the problem is disappointing. Weather is warmer in many areas. Leaving the car overnight at the dealer may not be enough to create the problem. Acura is aware what the VIN range is on the "bad" tires, KNOWS there's a problem, and should automatically replace them, and apologize, to every customer that wants the new EL42 tire. (At least in any cold-weather State).

In my case, I've already replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, at my expense. Acura said "no" as far as even a partial reimbursement. They told me what I have to do is the following:

Remount my EL42 tires, at my expense ($60?)
Drive to my dealer, 220 miles away (my expense in gas, obviously)
Leave the car overnight or longer for the dealer to verify flatspotting (hotel or whatever at my expense, wasn't promised a loaner)
IF they find flatspotting, new EL42s will be mounted.
I can then drive home and have the Michelins put back on, if I prefer (which of course I do - another $60?). Meanwhile, my wheels have been marked up and scratched due to FOUR dismount/mount/balancing operations.
I'm then free to sell the EL42s. I suppose I could recover about $250 for these slightly used tires. Less than I spent on mounting and balancing, gas, and a hotel. They won't allow a tire exchange if I don't remount the EL42s.

Totally unacceptable from a customer relations perspective. I suppose they've figured out that a sane customer isn't going to go through this, and consider themselves "winners" for it.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

My new TL is being shipped from the factory this week and will be to my dealer next Wednesday.

Can I assume that I'm getting the new tires? Or do I need to fight the dealer at delivery? How can I identify the old vs new tires? Is there a serial number or some code?

Help!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:39 PM
6th Gear

All I know is if I worked for Acura, I would not only know about but also read any forums on their cars and use the information to consider providing improvements in products and services. The truth is that production changes take time..even tires in the pipeline.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:54 PM
Instructor

In the end it is Brdgestone...not Acura or AHM. When they sent the spec out for the tire, they didn't specify tires that would flat spot or be perceive as cheap, they sent out performance specs. I can guarantee you it isn't AHM that is eating the cost on this, it is Bridgestone. If you are unhappy with your situation, boycott and don't buy Bridgestone, not Acura! It is one of those rare cases where you can tie the probelm directly back to the supplier, because their name is on the product.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Hybrid
But I do consider these tires (the original formulation, anyway) completely unacceptable on the TL just due to the flatspotting. This isn't a necessary characteristic of a performance tire. I've had better tires that don't do it.
Most of your other points are right on, but I take a little exception to the above. If you re-read my post, I said that this is a characteristic of some performance tires, not all. Given that, I'm not certain it can be considered a defect under the lemon law. Also, for the vast majority of drivers, on a regular basis, the flat spotting issue is a few mile issue - more of an annoyance than anything else.

I agree with you that having the dealer check for the flat spotting is rediculous, especially considering summer is on its way here. I can't imagine that some of these tires flat spot and some don't. None are going to flat spot in a month or two, and all the Northern ones will be back doing it next November.

Maybe you should talk to your dealer and see if he will "trust you" on this issue, order the new tires, and buy them back from you at a substantial discount. Then he can sell them to others and make a profit. Everyone wins something.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:54 AM
Advanced

OK, I blew out one of the EL 42s on a pothole Thursday and I said no way to a$ $250 EL 42 to replace it. I ordered Faulkens after reading Cons reports from discounttires. They came to my house in 23 hours (Dallas to Tulsa) for $396 total. I put them on immediately, tech screwed up on alloy but I will tell you all the bs EL 42s are the problem. I am excited about an $89 tire! It is quiet and no harsh EL 42 stuff going on. Check out discounttiresdirect and quit worrrying about this. For $396 end you pain. It took a blow out to end mine. Thank goodness.
End of story
Old 03-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Racer

Just got an email from my dealer that the replacement Bridgestones they had ordered for me from Acura just came in (he referred to them as the "re-compounded Bridgestones). They are keeping the new tires and swapping me for a set of Michelin's, per an arrangement we had made recently. They just wanted to wait until the new tires came in before doing the swap.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Racer

Originally posted by marquis
Just got an email from my dealer that the replacement Bridgestones they had ordered for me from Acura just came in (he referred to them as the "re-compounded Bridgestones). They are keeping the new tires and swapping me for a set of Michelin's, per an arrangement we had made recently. They just wanted to wait until the new tires came in before doing the swap.
How do you like your Michelins?
Old 03-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Racer

Haven't had them put on yet. Just got the email from the dealer earlier this afternoon about the tires having come in. Need to schedule the appointment to have the swap made. Hopefully later this week or early next week (I'm also getting the new memory seat module to fix that problem as well). I can't wait!
Old 03-15-2004, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Tires Being Replaced

I just received an e-mail stating that my tires would be replaced as well...with another set of Bridgestones. Supposedly, the replacement tires have a higher rating (than the original tires), but I don't know the exact replacement tire yet. I'll let you know when I know.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Advanced

My guess is that the EL42s (US manufactured I presume, probably in old Firestone plants) had a high defect rate. And the defect rate was the cause of the problem. Some cold weather flatspotting I guess was considered acceptable.

So Bridgestone tightens the quality of the tires and provides new tires to replace defective ones.

Net, net...everything stays the same.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Advanced

I got a call from my service rep today and have an appt next Monday to swap out tires. He told me they are still Bridgestones, but with a different compound.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Did your dealer insist on testing your tires?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

I was told that I am getting the new and improved bridgestones that were recompounded. That's fine with me but I've been waitng a month for them. If the dealer got the o.k. to replace them, then how come it takes so long to be shipped. C'mon guys, lets get our act together....
Old 03-15-2004, 08:16 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm in the same boat as most --

notified Acura Client Services in December, went to dealer in January, told getting a replacement in February, then waited until now. After sending an e-mail last week received four calls (from dealer and Acura). NO ONE seems to know availability of TIRES or SEAT MEMORY MODULE.

Spoke to Acura CS again today (3/15). Still no updated status.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Advanced

My seat memory issue was fixed last week, now the tires are getting replaced on Monday.

I did take the car in a few months ago for them to document the problem I was having with my tires.....I have a early build.

Once again, the tires are Bridgestones w/ a different compound.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Has anyone had the new el42s put on their TL? If so, any noticeable difference? I am scheduled to get them Thurs but I'm considering trying to swap out and pay the difference. I'd have to take the tires somewhere else and do this on my own. . . . . Help!
Old 03-16-2004, 02:54 PM
4th Gear

Question

I just bought a 2004 Acura TL, and i am very annoyed by the rough ride i am experiencing on the freeway 55-70mph. I called my acura dealer and they stated that they are not aware of any recalls on the tires. Who can i contact to get this issue addressed? It seems like i am going back and forth with my acura dealer and no getting any resolution.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:02 PM
4th Gear

Contact #'s

What number do i need to call to get my tire issue addressed? I have called my acura dealer, and they refuse to believe that the el42's have an issue.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by BigBluu
Maybe I'll try for another set of Birdgestones. The RE950's got really good reviews on tirerack - second highest score. Any thoughts on these?
I used RE950s on my '99 TL. They were substantially stickier than the stock Michelins, if a not bit noisier. I would recommend them.

Originally posted by BigBluu Also, yes, Acura made a big mistake by going with the Bridgestones as OEM. [/B]
I think it is merely the choice of which Bridgestones. I have used three different flavors of Potenzas on my Acuras/Hondas and been pleased with all of them. I recently replaced the summer only S-02s on my wife's S2000 to S-03s. I think I'll run those on the TL as well.

rw
Old 03-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by BigBluu
Maybe I'll try for another set of Birdgestones. The RE950's got really good reviews on tirerack - second highest score. Any thoughts on these?
I used RE950s on my '99 TL. They were substantially stickier than the stock Michelins, if a not bit noisier. I would recommend them.

Originally posted by BigBluu Also, yes, Acura made a big mistake by going with the Bridgestones as OEM. [/B]
I think it is merely the choice of which Bridgestones. I have used three different flavors of Potenzas on my Acuras/Hondas and been pleased with all of them. I recently replaced the summer only S-02s on my wife's S2000 to S-03s. I think I'll run those on the TL as well.

rw
Old 03-16-2004, 06:11 PM
4th Gear

I have a new (built in Feb) TL and the tires seem ok so far - only 150 miles. No flat spots and the ride seems ok at all speeds. Maybe I have new tires - but how can you tell? Anyone know?
Old 03-16-2004, 07:34 PM
3rd Gear

Question

Pardon the ignorance, but what is an "EL 42"? Acura.com lists the following two as options for the 6MT (as of 3/16/04):

- P235/45R17 93W Bridgestone Turanza All-Season
- 235/45R17 93W Bridgestone Potenza High-Performance

Is one of them the dreaded "EL 42"? If so, is the other one any better?

Thanks in advance.

- Flash

(Considering buying a 2004 TL 6MT)
Old 03-16-2004, 07:40 PM
Administrator

The Turanza is the EL42, the Potenza is not a problem, by the time you buy one they will be coming in with the "improved" tires so you should not have the flat spotting problem which the original EL42's had.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:00 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks, Ron.

Will they still be called "Turanza"? Any suggestions on how to verify that I am indeed buying one with the improved tires?

Can't buy the summer tires -- don't have the time or patience to change wheels on snow days. Nor the spare room in the garage, for that matter.

-Flash

(Considering buying a 2004 TL 6MT)
Old 03-17-2004, 06:28 AM
Administrator

There is still no way to verify that I know of. When someone gets the new tires put on, it would help if they would give us the build date of the tire so we could get a starting point. They will still be Turanza EL42, and from what I have read here the markings will be the same as the old tires, so a build date will definitely help sort things out.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:11 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll try to get build date when mine get replaced (next couple days).

-josh
Old 03-17-2004, 09:04 AM
Advanced

I have an appointment next week to have the "new" tires put on, but have a question. Has anyone asked their service rep if instead of putting on these new tires, they could just get credit towards another tire?

I would love to go w/ Michelins after my first experience w/ the Bridgestones. I have a call into my service rep.....no response yet.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by mengle
I have an appointment next week to have the "new" tires put on, but have a question. Has anyone asked their service rep if instead of putting on these new tires, they could just get credit towards another tire?

I would love to go w/ Michelins after my first experience w/ the Bridgestones. I have a call into my service rep.....no response yet.
I recall reading a few weeks ago from various forum members that Acura put a stop to dealerships putting other brand tires on and then wanting Acura to pay for them. Dealer by dealer, they may still offer to put an alternate make on for you; however, I think Acura Corporate is saying that they'll provide you with re-tooled EL42's and that's that.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:39 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 146 Posts
EL42 recall

Spoke to Acura factory rep 8/18/05
He claims to not know anything about replacing tires
He said certain dealers are doing it, on a case by case basis, for good will
Called my dealer service rep, at Paragon Acura; he claimed ignorance as well
Lets hope for the best
Old 08-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Instructor

What is our sponsor DCH Montclair Acura doing about this?
Old 08-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sweatinmyac
What is our sponsor DCH Montclair Acura doing about this?
What does Montclair Acura have to do with this?

Just because they are our sponsor doesn't mean they are resposible for everything that goes on in the forums, with Acuras, or with the Acura Corporation.

I don't think they are even mentioned in this thread, since this is a 1 1/2 year old thread and they haven't been a sponsor for that long.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I haven't been on here in a while, and I'm amazed to see that the Turanzas are still being put on the TL, and that people are still having trouble getting the dealers to replace these incredibly awful tires. My dealer replaced mine with Michelin Pilot Sports within a few months of my purchase, and that was around 18 months ago.

See below...
Old 08-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ron A
What does Montclair Acura have to do with this?

Just because they are our sponsor doesn't mean they are resposible for everything that goes on in the forums, with Acuras, or with the Acura Corporation.

I don't think they are even mentioned in this thread, since this is a 1 1/2 year old thread and they haven't been a sponsor for that long.

Well, I just mentioned them... so I guess they are now mentioned in this thread. I'm asking since they are an Acura dealership and since some dealerships are replacing the tires, if Montclair is replacing the tires. I didn't know about this thread a year 1/2 ago. So a simple yes or no would have saved you more time.

Of course they are not responsible for everything that goes on in the forums but as an Acura dealer and as a "sponsor" of such a huge forum, not to mention a reputable dealership, it would surprise me if they didn't do anything about a known problem. Especially when other dealerships were trying to fix the situation.

And to be clear, I'm not saying they should or shouldn't do anything. It would, however, be nice to know their stance.

Quick Reply: Acura to Replace Bridgestones!