About to install springs myself.. how difficult is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to install springs myself.. how difficult is it?

I picked up my Tiens H tech today... I know the fronts are no problem..but for the rear, do I access the strut bolts from the trunk behind the liner or do i have to take the backseat to get access to it underneath the rear cover? any help suggestions appreciated.. of course this is all done with a spring compressor...and simple hand tools
Old 08-02-2007, 01:42 AM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of time and patience, seats off to get to the towers, sway bar links disconnected to maneuver the coil-overs out and you'll be good!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:32 AM
'07 NBP TL

You should leave a whole day open to do it. Check the 3G garage and there are a couple thread regarding swaping out the springs.

I'm doin mine soon (and some other stuff hopefully). Let me know how long you take.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Porkipine
You should leave a whole day open to do it. Check the 3G garage and there are a couple thread regarding swaping out the springs.

I'm doin mine soon (and some other stuff hopefully). Let me know how long you take.
Well I did it yesterday..took me about 3 hrs to do... but I forgot to cut my front bumpstops so I have to redo the fronts.. sits about 1/2 finger higher than the rears..
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 AM
'07 NBP TL

Originally Posted by aboys6spdtl
Well I did it yesterday..took me about 3 hrs to do... but I forgot to cut my front bumpstops so I have to redo the fronts.. sits about 1/2 finger higher than the rears..
that's not bad. I just realized that you did only springs
Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by aboys6spdtl
You mean you are riding on your front bumpstops as it is. Not good unless road is perfectly flat. But cutting it is just as bed. You need ½” to level it, another ½” when you get in and at least 1” of travel. That makes 2” cutoff. There is not much left for the bumstops function. When you hit some bump you are going to hear it loud, but main concern is that you can damage you shocks, other suspension components and even body. Lowering your car using just lower springs is not good solution.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Do you have to cut the bump stops with all spring swaps? I am about to install some comptech springs and do shocks later. I had no idea I needed to cut the bump stops.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

mishar, I respect your opinion and your background.

However, I'm pretty sure that the cars at stock height are already riding on bumpstops.

I've disassembled the TL's suspension several times. I noticed when the shocks are out of the car, fully extended, with no springs, there's only about 1.5" to 2" distance between the bottom of the bumpstops and the shock bodies. Aren't the bumpstops going to contact the shock bodies when they're loaded with the car's weight, even at stock height?

Also, I've been my cars with aftermarket springs and shocks and I have never trimmed the bumpstops (unless instructed by the manufacturers) and I never have noises or other problems. That's why I always say, if the manufacturer doesn't specifically say you need to cut the bumpstops, don't cut them.

Originally Posted by mishar
You mean you are riding on your front bumpstops as it is. Not good unless road is perfectly flat. But cutting it is just as bed. You need ½” to level it, another ½” when you get in and at least 1” of travel. That makes 2” cutoff. There is not much left for the bumstops function. When you hit some bump you are going to hear it loud, but main concern is that you can damage you shocks, other suspension components and even body. Lowering your car using just lower springs is not good solution.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Conor, follow the installation manual. I believe you don't need to cut the bumpstops.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 260 HP
mishar, I respect your opinion and your background.

However, I'm pretty sure that the cars at stock height are already riding on bumpstops.

I've disassembled the TL's suspension several times. I noticed when the shocks are out of the car, fully extended, with no springs, there's only about 1.5" to 2" distance between the bottom of the bumpstops and the shock bodies. Aren't the bumpstops going to contact the shock bodies when they're loaded with the car's weight, even at stock height?

Also, I've been my cars with aftermarket springs and shocks and I have never trimmed the bumpstops (unless instructed by the manufacturers) and I never have noises or other problems. That's why I always say, if the manufacturer doesn't specifically say you need to cut the bumpstops, don't cut them.
Thank you for appreciation, but I must disagree with you about riding on bump stoppers. There should be at least ½” of free travel (converts to ¾” at the front because of suspension geometry) and than at the beginning of bump stoppers compression they are very soft, getting harder and harder under more compression.

If you lower your car for 1” you will ride on that soft part what makes suspension a bit firmer and your travel will be 1” shorter than stock. That is acceptable if road is not too bumpy.

If you lower it for 2” you will ride at fully compressed bump stoppers, virtually with no suspension travel (you might as well take your springs off and save some weight ). That is unacceptable, unless road is perfectly flat. In order to allow for some travel you may cut off part of bump stoppers, but than you will have quite hard contacts when you hit a bump.

That is why you should use shorter shock absorbers when you are lowering your car, or find some different solution, what I am testing right now.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:39 PM
DER NEUE ^

I'm with 260 HP on this, he knows his stuff

Do not trim you bump stops unless you are told to do so by the spring or shock manufacturer, easy enough!

I actually bought 06+ rear stops which are a bit taller and beefier than the 04 and 05 stops! Riding on the Neuspeed Cup Kit right now, no bottoming out so far!
Old 08-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, ACTROS! Actually, I learned a great deal from you, too. I didn't know about a lot of the stuff you mentioned to me.

I just installed my Koni SP3 and I think they feel slightly better than my old regular Koni Sport. What springs do you have now and how stiff do you set the Konis at? I'm at 1/2 turns front and rear they ride great. Think I'll stiffen the front end another 1/4-1/2 turn. I also lower the spring perches 1 notch.

Unfortunately, I didn't measure anything or take pics when the suspension was out (regarding the bumpstop-to-shock gap, etc), but I'm going to install Koni SP3 on my Accord soon and I'll spend some extra time to measure it this time.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:00 PM
DER NEUE ^

^Neuspeed Sport springs and stock Koni settings, perches lowered all the way all around!