18" Yokohoma AVS ES100 Tires? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:55 PM
15 Time Honda Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18" Yokohoma AVS ES100 Tires? HELP

Hey everyone,

Great to be back. It's been a while since I last posted but a fellow TLer needs some help! I have had my '06 for over a year now but I don't drive it everyday and these tires are absolutely DRIVING ME CRAZY!

I now have 9,900 miles on the car. When I upgraded to the A-Spec options/wheels at the time of the purchase, the dealership asked me if the Yoko's would be my choice and after seeing a set there, I agreed. They are a cool looking tire and I have owned Yokohoma's in the past with no issues. I guess this was a mistake from day one.

I then read here shortly after that after they are rotated they would be loud and sure enough after 6,000 miles they are the loudest tire I have ever heard. The handling is amazing and the treadwear looks great (they still look brand new) but MY GOODNESS... they are insanely loud. I have never heard anything like these. I am talking 31" truck tires are quieter than this. No joke!

Question is... is this normal for these for those that own or have owned them? And if yes, at what mileage did this start?

Lastly, if you have a set of 18's and have recently chosen a tire that handles great and remains quiet can you please list them?

I hate to drop $500-$700 for a new set at just 10,000 miles but I absolutely hate driving the car right now.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just recently bought Yoko Advan S4's. Only 400 miles so far, so no way I can comment on long term. But so far..not bad at all in the noise area.

You might want to delve into some of the owner reviews on Tire Rack. They appear to be uncensored, and there are plenty of them.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:27 AM
15 Time Honda Owner

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
I just recently bought Yoko Advan S4's. Only 400 miles so far, so no way I can comment on long term. But so far..not bad at all in the noise area.

You might want to delve into some of the owner reviews on Tire Rack. They appear to be uncensored, and there are plenty of them.
Yes I have read several reviews and the comments aren't very consistent. Some people love them and some hate them. I just can't stand the noise!

Also I wanted to add that they are 235/40/18's.

Any help with solid replacement 18" tires would be great.
Thanks.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:12 PM
15 Time Honda Owner

So what's the difference between the Nitto NT 555's and the NeoGen ZR? I have read the reviews but has anyone seen an advantage to either? I used to buy Nittos all the time but haven't had to recently. I have owned the 555's a few years ago but was wondering about the NeoGens.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Racer

Just bought Pirelli P Zero Nero M + s to replace those pos Yoko's on my aspec'd TL.

The yokos are garbage with 16k on them and they are very loud. I will let you know how the Pirelli's go once they're put on.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:01 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had the tires on my car for around 5k miles and noticed that they have gotten louder. I think my next tires will be michelin pilot sports!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TL4U2DZYR
So what's the difference between the Nitto NT 555's and the NeoGen ZR? I have read the reviews but has anyone seen an advantage to either? I used to buy Nittos all the time but haven't had to recently. I have owned the 555's a few years ago but was wondering about the NeoGens.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I would recommend Goodyear Eagle F1's i love mine and have about 6000 miles on them and are still queit and lots and lots of tread left
Old 08-24-2007, 10:19 PM
10th Gear

I had 18" Nittos and never really likes them. Seemed like hard tread compound which made them last but not great handling.

Prefer the Michelin A/S if you have any heavy rain or winters. Higher line Bridgestone A/S also good. I'll give up a little grip for some safety in rain and what little snow we get.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:50 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I am having the EXACT same problem!! My ES100s sound tolerable in one position, but now I have to rotate them and they sound like GARBAGE! They roar so loud on the highway; as if I have bad bearings or I'm on studded Chevy Blazer snow tires. Everyone who gets in my car thinks something is wrong with it, the car is only 1 yr old and it sounds like a 15 yr old piece of junk. I am so irritated with them but I have a good 7/32nds of tread life left. They can easily go on for 1 more year but I don't know if my ears can! I'd rather hear my sweet engine and exhaust soundtrack, not this drone. I give this tire really good credit for being sticky with great handling and great wet weather performance. Sadly it's just that they wear way too fast and sound so bad! Can't wait to change them out. Yokohama never again!!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Team Anthracite member

Had those on my Aspec 04. Switched the fronts for Michelin PS2's and love them. Good grip and low noise. Put the Yoko's back on the rear as did not want to spend that kind of money for non-drive tires. Only prob now is the Yoko's were wearing funny and thus increasing in noise. Car had been aligned twice so unsure what the wear prob is from. Punctured one Yoko with a screw and changed it to a Falken. So far so good. Quiet in the rear except for the lone Yoko. (i.e. Was going out of town and tire dealer no have another Yoko locally. Still had good wear on the Yoko's so just replaced the punctured tire). All tires are 245/40/18.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:28 PM
15 Time Honda Owner

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I am having the EXACT same problem!! My ES100s sound tolerable in one position, but now I have to rotate them and they sound like GARBAGE! They roar so loud on the highway; as if I have bad bearings or I'm on studded Chevy Blazer snow tires. Everyone who gets in my car thinks something is wrong with it, the car is only 1 yr old and it sounds like a 15 yr old piece of junk. I am so irritated with them but I have a good 7/32nds of tread life left. They can easily go on for 1 more year but I don't know if my ears can! I'd rather hear my sweet engine and exhaust soundtrack, not this drone. I give this tire really good credit for being sticky with great handling and great wet weather performance. Sadly it's just that they wear way too fast and sound so bad! Can't wait to change them out. Yokohama never again!!
Trust me, I know exactly how you feel! I have a friend that swears the belts have to be showing on the tires when he rides in the car. Every time he gets out of the car and looks at the tires (THAT LOOK BRAND NEW) and he can't believe any tire can make that much noise!

They drive me crazy! My wife rode in it Monday and told me to spend the money to buy new tires immediatley because she said it was ridiculous to have to listen to them.

You know it's bad when the wife says to drop $500-$700 on tires due to roadnoise...
Old 09-03-2007, 12:56 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I wish I had $1k to burn I'd get Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss in a heartbeat.....I'm killin my spare budget on mods right now, I may have to wait till next year. I don't have the heart to waste and throw away that usable tread-life.....So hard to choose whether I want to look good or sound good!