04 TL Donut Tire Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 12:44 PM
GregS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 TL Donut Tire Problems

Have any of you had problems with the Donut (spare) tire fitting properly? Yesterday evening, I noticed my left rear tire was flat. Since it was in my garage, I felt somewhat relieved, so this morning I called AAA.

The AAA rep came out, took off the flat tire, and attempted to put on the spare (its never been used - I took it out of the trunk for the first time). And guess what - it won't fit! He tried several times, and I tried, but it would not seat properly. The problem seems to be that the center hole in the rim is a tad too small to seat properly over the hub. So now my car is on blocks, until I can get the tire replaced (it has a cut in the side wall).

I know this sounds bizarre, but the AAA rep said he has seen this happen before. Anyone with a similar experience?

Just curious.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:13 PM
10th Gear

I had the opportunity to use my spare on the eight day of ownership. My LF was flat in my garage. It fits but the car sat down over an inch on that corner. Did the AAA guy try flipping it around?

I decided that since it was in my garage I would change it out myself but I'm curious if you gave any thought to calling the toll free number on the driver side window.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:29 PM
GregS

Originally Posted by Chips Ahoy
I had the opportunity to use my spare on the eight day of ownership. My LF was flat in my garage. It fits but the car sat down over an inch on that corner. Did the AAA guy try flipping it around?

I decided that since it was in my garage I would change it out myself but I'm curious if you gave any thought to calling the toll free number on the driver side window.

We tried it both ways - several times. We could not get it to seat properly over the hub. The stems only came through about 1/2 inch.

Just got off the phone with my Acura Sales Rep. Of course, they never heard of this happening. He said he would talk to the Manager and get back to me.

I called AAA, but you're right. I should call the Acura number and see what they have to say.

Thanks for you input.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I found something that I hope I can get an answer to.

I checked the parts references for the 2004TL 5AT, and they list the donut spare as P/N 42700-SOX-A51, which is the same as for the 2003 TL. But when I checked for the 2004TL 6MT, they didn't list a part number, and the picture was slightly different.

Does the 6MT have a donut spare? I was thinking there might be a difference because of the Brembo brakes, but don't really know.

Anybody got any info on this?
Old 09-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I had no problem to put my spare onto my RF and replaced it months ago.

Based on what I know...

6MT -> T145/70R17 106M Bridgestone
5AT -> T135/80R16 101M Firestone
5AT with 18" Yokohama -> T135/80R16 101M Friestone

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...64&postcount=1

This thread could stay in 3G 'cause we talk about the general topic.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ron A
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I found something that I hope I can get an answer to.

I checked the parts references for the 2004TL 5AT, and they list the donut spare as P/N 42700-SOX-A51, which is the same as for the 2003 TL. But when I checked for the 2004TL 6MT, they didn't list a part number, and the picture was slightly different.

Does the 6MT have a donut spare? I was thinking there might be a difference because of the Brembo brakes, but don't really know.

Yes, it is the brembo's, as Rets says, it neads the 17" rim on the MT to clear the calipers.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:42 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I've not had an opportunity (thankfully) to use the donut yet, but please do let us know what the dealer says. If we have to get new donuts, etc, please let us know!

I have a trunk tray and I have the cargo net holders screwed through the mat - that's the one downside of having the cargo nets installed through the trunk tray because you have to unscrew each and every one of the cargo net holders before you get the spare out of the trunk.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Team Anthracite Peon

I had to use the donut after a week of ownership, and I had no problems getting it on.

-X-
Old 09-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Plan B

Originally Posted by Lore
I've not had an opportunity (thankfully) to use the donut yet, but please do let us know what the dealer says. If we have to get new donuts, etc, please let us know!

I have a trunk tray and I have the cargo net holders screwed through the mat - that's the one downside of having the cargo nets installed through the trunk tray because you have to unscrew each and every one of the cargo net holders before you get the spare out of the trunk.
I did it another way. I sliced a "button hole slit" in the tray and fed the net buttons through the slit which then closes around the button. When I need to get below, I just lift the tray off the buttons.

It's not as waterproof as your way, but faster to disconnet. Photos on request.

XP
Old 09-13-2004, 12:33 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I did it another way. I sliced a "button hole slit" in the tray and fed the net buttons through the slit which then closes around the button. When I need to get below, I just lift the tray off the buttons.

It's not as waterproof as your way, but faster to disconnet. Photos on request.

XP
Hahaha.. I like your "ponder" emoticon! Just thought I'd mention that. But yes, please post photos of the slit. I'd like to see how large (or small) they are. :
Old 09-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Many ways to skin a cat....

Originally Posted by Lore
Hahaha.. I like your "ponder" emoticon! Just thought I'd mention that. But yes, please post photos of the slit. I'd like to see how large (or small) they are. :
Here ya' go:

The Ponderer
Old 09-13-2004, 03:46 PM
GregS

Just as a follow-up to my original post that started this thread, I had a hard time believing that the factory delivered spare tire was the wrong one for my '04 TL.

At the time, the "AAA guy" was adament that the spare did not fit and I half-believed him. Anxious to get the bad tire off, so I can get it repaired (as it turns out the sidewall was cut, so I had to order a new tire), I deferred to his "alleged expertise". Later on, the more I thought about it, the more it didn't make sense. Also, I was not all that crazy about leaving my car in the garage with the rear end held up by a couple of blocks of wood.

Still unconvinced, later that afternoon I jacked the car up again, and put on the spare without any difficulty. As soon as I tightened the lugs, the tire properly seated itself.

I wonder how many other unsuspecting drivers this 'esteemed AAA goofball' has left stranded on the roadside, simply because he is either lazy or in a hurry (or both).

Anyway, thanks to those that responded.

Regards,
Old 09-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

gstais,

What size/specification of Spare do you get with your 5AT?

If it is "5AT -> T135/80R16 101M Firestone", this fits into my car...

Guys upstairs, please do not this thread. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:54 PM
GregS

Originally Posted by rets
gstais,

I will check when I get home and get back to you.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:18 AM
GregS

Originally Posted by gstais
I will check when I get home and get back to you.
Yes, I have the same spare tire.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:19 AM
GregS

gstais,

Yes, I have the same spare tire.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

gstais, thanks for your update.

As I said above, I had no problem to put it on into the front. Since everyone gets the same donut spare, it should be workable with all 4 tires of any 04TL 5AT (or 6MT with another donut). What your Acura dealer says about this?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Team Anthracite Member

MT cars have the LSD. The spare tire if used on the front, must be the same diameter as the opposite front wheel. If it is smaller, it would stress the LSD.

My S2k had this issue. If you had a flat in the rear, you have to jack up the front, take the regular front tire off the car, put the spare on the front, then take off the rear flat tire, and put the front tire on the back hub. Oh and then the rear tire won't fit in the trunk...

BTW, I traded my 01' Silverstone/black S2k in on the 04' Anth/Eb MT TL one week ago. The S2k was a fun car (had 12.3k on it), well built, but always wanted to be driven FAST!

My wife got a 04' Satin Silver/Eb AT last October. She has VIN 16xx and my car is 707xx. I will be curious to see how the two hold up.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Cruisin'

Was wondering if a full size wheel and tire, stock 17, will fit where the donut is in the trunk. I would rather have a full size spare like my girlfriends 3 series.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy4130
Was wondering if a full size wheel and tire, stock 17, will fit where the donut is in the trunk. I would rather have a full size spare like my girlfriends 3 series.
It will fit in the opening, but it will stick up over the trunk floor 6-8" (I forget which) so the trunk covering will not lie flat, and you will lose a lot of trunk space.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:10 PM
GregS

gstais, thanks for your update.

As I said above, I had no problem to put it on into the front. Since everyone gets the same donut spare, it should be workable with all 4 tires of any 04TL 5AT (or 6MT with another donut). What your Acura dealer says about this?
No problem.

Now for another update. Yesterday, I got my replacement tire, had it mounted and balanced, and decided to call AAA to put it on the car. I would have done it myself, but after another long day at work, I figured that since I have the AAA membership, I may as well take advantage of it.

Anyway, wouldn't you know the same guy shows up - i.e. the one that came out to remove my flat, and who insisted that the factory spare was the wrong one. He had refused to put it on my car, and put it the car up on blocks instead. As I stated in my earlier post, later that day I put the spare on myself and everything seemed fine.

So, now he starts lecturing me and demanded to know who put on the spare. I told him I did, because as far as I was concerned it fit just fine. For the next 15 minutes or so, while he was putting on my new tire, he went on and on about how the spare was the wrong size. He proceeded to tell me that I was taking a risk and that the car was not safe to drive. He even commented how I was lucky that the weight of the car did not snap the wheel studs.

At this point I am not sure who to believe, but the dealer has assured me that the spare tire provided is the correct one, and I should not have a problem. As far as I'm concerned, I think this AAA guy is full of crap. Since my daily commute is over 50 miles one way I used daughter's car until I got the new tire. During this time, I just left the car parked in the garage.

Next time, I will just call the Acura Care line, or do it myself.

That's all for now.

Regards,
Old 09-15-2004, 06:22 PM
Racer

AAA has a network of local service providers throughout the country; as does the Acura network. I would complain to AAA and let them know that the service provided by your local outfit was inadequate. There is a chance that the same business that flubbed up the tire change could have an agreement with the Acura Care Line as well (and they might show up in your driveway next time).
Old 09-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Instructor

I had no problem with getting the spare on (right front, 6mt) but I can't stand the jack. It's was hard for me to get a smooth continuous motion going.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Ron A

Yep, the donut on the 6mt is mounted on an OK looking wheel. The wheel is portruding out enough to clear the brembos. I unfortunately had to use it because of tire damage.