Windows and alarm have minds of their own

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows and alarm have minds of their own

I've just done a search and, although I've seen a few mentions of this, I have not come across a definitive answer.

In the past month there have been several occasions of my windows opening by themselves. In addition, my alarm system just went off for no apparent reason. The first window incident was really odd, in that one morning I went out to my car only to find all 4 windows opened about 4 inches, and the moonroof open about the same amount. The key fob had been in my pants pocket. Okay, so I thought I must have accidentally hit the unlock button twice in short succession, and then held it down long enough to partially open the windows. Seems unlikely, but it could happen, I guess.

Then, I'm clearing snow off the car earlier this week...I did the driver's side first and then the other side. When I opened the door on the driver's side, the window was all the way open! It was closed for sure a minute earlier. The key fob was in my coat pocket.

Just now, I'm sitting in my living room and hear somebody's car alarm go off outside. After a minute, I realized the horn sounded familiar. Look outside and my TL is busily honking and flashing away. My key fob was in my coat, which was hung up downstairs. I went out to the car and there was no sign of tampering.

Has anyone else had something like this happen, and if so, did the problem get resolved? Could it be a bad fob, or is my TL possessed? Needless to say, I'm not feeling real secure about leaving my car all alone at this point.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never had this happen to me. Where is you other set of keys? is it in range to be doing this without your knowledge? Do you have sticky buttons on either of your key fobs?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Advanced

It almost sounds like your remote is gone nuts. Take out the battery and use the second one for a while. See if it happens again.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:38 AM
I'm Baaack!

Sounds like all of these instances are while you're at home. Is it possible, albeit unlikely, that you're picking up interference from something else.

I live by a small municipal airport and everyonce in a while when a plane is overhead my ceiling fan will turn on. (Kinda comical except when the light turns itself on at 3am.

I don't know if there's any way to reprogram your alarm/fob codes but you may want to chase that as an option.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

your first instance was definitely caused by hitting the unlock twice and holding it long enough to open(happened to me once at work). The rest of them who knows. try disabling the "driver 1" keyfob(I second mrbadguy-take out battery or keep it out of range of the car) and use the "driver 2" key for a couple weeks and see if the same thing happens.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

Thank you all for your replies.

Brewmaster: I neglected to mention one of the incidents occurred at work.

All: I'm going to work on the premise that my primary key fob is acting up, and try using the secondary one to see what happens, as suggested.

- oidvoid
Old 01-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds as if the unlock button on the remote is sticking. I agree with Curtis that you should take the battery out of the remote & see if it continues.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Originally Posted by oidvoid
I've just done a search and, although I've seen a few mentions of this, I have not come across a definitive answer.

In the past month there have been several occasions of my windows opening by themselves. In addition, my alarm system just went off for no apparent reason. The first window incident was really odd, in that one morning I went out to my car only to find all 4 windows opened about 4 inches, and the moonroof open about the same amount. The key fob had been in my pants pocket. Okay, so I thought I must have accidentally hit the unlock button twice in short succession, and then held it down long enough to partially open the windows. Seems unlikely, but it could happen, I guess.

Then, I'm clearing snow off the car earlier this week...I did the driver's side first and then the other side. When I opened the door on the driver's side, the window was all the way open! It was closed for sure a minute earlier. The key fob was in my coat pocket.

Just now, I'm sitting in my living room and hear somebody's car alarm go off outside. After a minute, I realized the horn sounded familiar. Look outside and my TL is busily honking and flashing away. My key fob was in my coat, which was hung up downstairs. I went out to the car and there was no sign of tampering.

Has anyone else had something like this happen, and if so, did the problem get resolved? Could it be a bad fob, or is my TL possessed? Needless to say, I'm not feeling real secure about leaving my car all alone at this point.
i have the same problem, but only the alarm, my windows are fine.

this thing goes off whenever it wants to, and i had to leave it unlocked one night because it went off non stop. (it wasnt just at home, it went off as i was walking into a mall so i just left it alone until the alarm stopped. and what a suprise, i couldnt replicate it at the dealership.

it happened to me twice so far, purchased it in april
Old 06-14-2009, 03:19 AM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
my windows was open the other day and it rained!

Did you ever figure out what was going on? Has it happened to you again? The other day, as I was driving home with my wife in her car, she exclaimed, "honey, your window is open!" And I'm thinking she can't be right. I would never leave my window open. When I went up to my 06 TL, sure enough, the driver's side window was open all the way and it rained too! The other windows were closed so it couldn't have been the feature where you can open all the windows with the key or the remote.

I really don't think I left it open, but it's a possibility. After reading your post, I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with my car.

Anyone else experience this? I park outside so I'm worried that the window might open when it's raining worse. If this happens again, maybe I should hook up a relay to the power window power and make it cut power to the windows when accessory power is off.

Originally Posted by oidvoid
on the driver's side, the window was all the way open! It was closed for sure a minute earlier.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,171 Likes on 686 Posts
My 05 had the same problem. Every once in a while the windows would be down a bit. I always thought maybe I was in a hurry and didnt put them up or some how used the remote to put them down on accident but the roof was never open. My alarm would randomly go off too. One day it just stopped and the acura dealer is stumped
Old 06-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
its your remote. somehow the keys and the buttons on the remote are touching. Ive had it happen a couple times when i was within earshot of the car and sat on a couch. the car almost immediately started lowering its windows in a few seconds and the other time when i leaned against a wall, the alarm went off. any pressure by some tight pockets will have the keys press on the buttons and it will trigger the remote.

have them loose in your pocket and check if the buttons too are sticking.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,171 Likes on 686 Posts
no, i posted awhile back that my alarm was going off at a hotel and I had the keys with me 10 miles away. When we got back the office said it went off numerous times and it kept going off with my keys sitting on the roof and then with no battery in the remote.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Pro

Why only one window open though?

That would or might make sense if all the windows and the sunroof opened, but in his and my case, they didn't.

And I don't use the remote anymore. I don't like the bulk on my key chain. I'll see if it happens again and if it does, I'll have to come up with a power window power bypass if possible.

I just went outside to check to make sure my windows were closed. It's supposed to rain tomorrow. I don't like feeling like this. This is one of the main reasons why I didn't get a BMW. Oh well. The grass is always greener on the other side. What I mean is that if I had gotten a BMW and this happened to it, I might be wishing I had gotten a more reliable car like a Lexus or an Acura, but now that I have an Acura...

But I like my Acura so I just hope it won't happen again.

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
its your remote. somehow the keys and the buttons on the remote are touching. Ive had it happen a couple times when i was within earshot of the car and sat on a couch. the car almost immediately started lowering its windows in a few seconds and the other time when i leaned against a wall, the alarm went off. any pressure by some tight pockets will have the keys press on the buttons and it will trigger the remote.

have them loose in your pocket and check if the buttons too are sticking.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Originally Posted by robocam
That would or might make sense if all the windows and the sunroof opened, but in his and my case, they didn't.

And I don't use the remote anymore. I don't like the bulk on my key chain. I'll see if it happens again and if it does, I'll have to come up with a power window power bypass if possible.

I just went outside to check to make sure my windows were closed. It's supposed to rain tomorrow. I don't like feeling like this. This is one of the main reasons why I didn't get a BMW. Oh well. The grass is always greener on the other side. What I mean is that if I had gotten a BMW and this happened to it, I might be wishing I had gotten a more reliable car like a Lexus or an Acura, but now that I have an Acura...

But I like my Acura so I just hope it won't happen again.
its probably the controller for the alarm. If you are afraid of the windows opening, why not just pull the fuse out for the power windows
Old 06-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Pro

good idea

I'll have to look to see if there is a fuse for just the power windows. If there is, then I can add a relay to cut power to the windows when accessory power is off.

But I wonder if there is a way to do it and preserve the feature that lets me open all the windows with the key or remote.

If only the driver's door window gives me trouble, I could set it up so that only the driver's door window's power is cut when accessory power is off...and maybe restored if the other windows are opening.

An alternative solution might be to disable the link between the alarm system and the windows. Anyone know how to do this? I wonder if there is a wire in the driver's door window switch panel that I can cut to achieve this.

Originally Posted by csmeance
its probably the controller for the alarm. If you are afraid of the windows opening, why not just pull the fuse out for the power windows