Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Acura's All Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining Noise

I believe I have posted about this before but can't really remember. I have searched for other members with the same problem but could have possibly overlooked. My 06 Tl A Spec has occasionally whined when turning and taking off at the same time but recently the issue has worsened when I come to a complete stop she now whines and when navigating "going up and down" rows in a parking lot she whines as I turn into each row. This noise occurs in all gears even backing into my driveway.I have taken the car to Acura who claims they see/hear nothing wrong however I have driven three other tls and never hear this. I am far from car savvy so any help would be appreciated. If something truly is wrong I'm going to be one pissed off sob writing a check to Acura when they have told me several times its fine. Thanks in advance
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Acura's All Day

more info

Originally Posted by BadassAcuraCl
I believe I have posted about this before but can't really remember. I have searched for other members with the same problem but could have possibly overlooked. My 06 Tl A Spec has occasionally whined when turning and taking off at the same time but recently the issue has worsened when I come to a complete stop she now whines and when navigating "going up and down" rows in a parking lot she whines as I turn into each row. This noise occurs in all gears even backing into my driveway.I have taken the car to Acura who claims they see/hear nothing wrong however I have driven three other tls and never hear this. I am far from car savvy so any help would be appreciated. If something truly is wrong I'm going to be one pissed off sob writing a check to Acura when they have told me several times its fine. Thanks in advance
Little more info if it helps, got in it this am and it whined when I made turns in the way to the grocery store but coming home it was fine, so I am guessing the o ring, but I do recall her doing it occasionally when she's warm too. I pray its not the rack or pump. Thanks in advance
Old 09-23-2012, 04:18 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the pwr steering resevoir. if you see bubbling. then its the o ring from the o ring at the pump, the updated o ring is blue. i had this issue in the am at fairy cold weather but once its warmed up its gone. every since they put the o ring in. air is no longer introduced to the system. hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
BadassAcuraCl (09-24-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 04:23 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
Certainly take the advice on the o-ring. I'm not sure if you are having the same problem I did with my whine, but my alternator went bad and since I've had it replaced my whine went away.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Acura's All Day

I just checked the power steering resevoir on my lunch break and... Sure enough theres bubbles lol, lots of bubbles. This certainly makes me happy and I really appreciate you telling me to look at it, because I would have never known otherwise. Although I will say it does anger me a little that Flow Acura here in Winston gave me the cold shoulder in regards to the issue, this is my 4th Acura, and all of them have been serviced at Flow for the past 11 years, you'd think that they would look out for loyal clients, lately I have been driving 50 miles out of my way to take it to another Acura dealership. Off topic Im aware but I feel like venting "I have had all major costly services done at Flow in the past, most recently a tune up and timing belt change on my CL Type S that I traded in on the TL "somewhere around $1,200 I spent on those services and they gladly gave me a Courtesy car, I attempted to have my transmission fluid changed/all wheel alignment and a full detail at Flow on the TL about a month ago and they refused to give me a courtesy car and told me that it was due to me being 21, to which I replied funny because you had no problem giving me one at 20 years old when I forked out $1,200, needless to say they will not get my business anymore, I will gladly drive 50 miles out of my way to be treated properly" Im done griping lol, but big thanks to you both.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Had the same issue on my TL. (Sounds like you're just describing a "loud steering pump.") The dealer said it was a "common issue" involving installing a new washer. They fixed it for free.

I only use the dealer for "unexplained weird stuff" like that.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Acura's All Day

I am so close to just being done with Acura in general, none of the Acura dealers within 50 miles of me will replace it under goodwill, granted its only $65 but its the point. My issue is, now that I have been driving it this way for 5/6 months, could it have damaged anything? If so, it should be their obligation to repair it for telling me there was nothing wrong 5/6 months ago when clearly there really was.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Instructor

The dealer I brought it to fixed it "free" along with a $40 oil change. I should have been more specific. Since you know that's the problem; take it to an independent garage for repair. They can probably do better than $65 labor for a 10 minute job.

Don't worry about harming your power steering pump. I drove with this problem for a few months before I fixed it, and haven't seen any ill effects.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Acura's All Day

Lol you took the words out of my mouth, I have been driving with it doing this off and on for about 6 months because of the "its normal" reply I received from Acura. I have worried my a$$ off for the past 3 hours here at work thinking, Im going to take it in Firday morning they are gonna replace the O Ring and then tell me something else it wrong. They recommended that in addition to replacing the O Ring, that I have the P/S fluid flushed and replaced for another $30/$40, would you all recommend this? Im not so much concerned about the money as thankfully it will be payday lol, just concerned about the best interest for the car as far as longevity goes. Thanks all, for your help
Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BadassAcuraCl
They recommended that in addition to replacing the O Ring, that I have the P/S fluid flushed and replaced for another $30/$40, would you all recommend this?
Actually can't help you with that. I've put 570,000 miles on 3 different Hondas/Acuras (and 240,000 on two "other brands") and have never once changed the P/S fluid. Doesn't mean that it's right - although the Acura dealer didn't bother the flush when they replaced my O-ring.