Wet brake lines... normal or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wet brake lines... normal or bad?

Hey all, having trouble finding specifics with a search. Had my brakes done about 1k/1 month ago (4 pads, resurface all rotors, brake fluid flush). Every time in the past week after pulling into the garage i thought i could smell something strange, enough so that several times i sniffed around under the hood expecting to find some fluid leaking and burning off.

anyway, during a quick trip around town today, i noticed it felt like there was more drag than usual after letting off the gas to coast. enough that made me notice it, but also little enough that i just wrote it off in my mind as maybe just happening to be close to a shift point or something so there was more engine braking than average. but when i got back, i smelled it again and even stronger. i popped the hood to look again, but before i even opened it, i noticed smoke coming from one of my back wheels (smelling the same as what i had smelled all week, just stronger). i noticed 2 things that seemed strange to me, and i wanted to ask if one of them is potentially normal or not.

first, i noticed the brake line connection between the rubber hose and metal line was wet. take a look at the picture attached. i thought maybe fluid was leaking and burning off somewhere nearby. then i noticed the non-smoking side was also wet in the same way. so i thought maybe it was just grease or something and would always have a wet look to it/never dry. but 5 minutes later when i looked again, it was mostly dried up. is that something that might be normal like condensation, or could i be leaking brake fluid there? outside temp was mid-40s and dry (maybe 25-30% humidity). it might also be notable here that while i was searching under the hood yesterday, i noticed the brake fluid cap wasnt fully seated. it was in place, but not turned enough to be locked on, so i tightened it yesterday. the fluid line is just slightly above the max line.

then i also noticed the pad path on the rotor on the smoking side was considerably darker/blacker and shinier than the other side. i'm guessing that brake is stuck on and dragging, causing the smoke, but now i'm concerned about the wet-looking brake lines. i think i might just drive it back to the dealer (honda) who did the brakes and ask someone else there to fix whatever they did to it. i've never had brake issues before this, but now i'm worried they damaged something.

thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails Wet brake lines... normal or bad?-2012-03-26_17-38-22_729.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:29 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
that's not normal. Get your lines replaced!

one, fluid's leaking where it shouldnt be and there's the possibility of introducing air into the system.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
The line may just need to be tightened, but the smoking pad indicates something amiss, stuck piston or caliper slider problem. Take it back.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
They're replacing the whole caliper, stuck piston. Annoying since the boots/covers are in good shape...i thought that was to prevent corrosion. Wonder how much pad burned down in the past weeks. Oh well, it's at the age now I'll need to learn how to bleed money anyway.

Now on to the next problem, seatbelt buckle for the airbag light (dealer says its not a warranty item even though it's clearly a seatbelt component; can't seem to accomplish anything without a fight).
Old 03-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get some SS lines if your replacing them anyways
Old 03-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hirsch014
They're replacing the whole caliper, stuck piston. Annoying since the boots/covers are in good shape...i thought that was to prevent corrosion. Wonder how much pad burned down in the past weeks. Oh well, it's at the age now I'll need to learn how to bleed money anyway.

Now on to the next problem, seatbelt buckle for the airbag light (dealer says its not a warranty item even though it's clearly a seatbelt component; can't seem to accomplish anything without a fight).
Your seat belt buckle should be replaced under warranty. I had mine replaced under warranty. How did you find out that the SRS code was your seat belt buckle? My code was 9-3. If you have a service manual, it's there. Otherwise, go to http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1300825