Weird Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010 | 11:29 AM
Racer

Weird Noise.

Well i have a '06 TL with 43k miles, and it was working perfectly fine until the cold weather hit. My car started making these weird noises in the morning, and sometimes my steering wheel gets a little stiff. Every time i turn the steering wheel there's a noise that sounds like rusty old door or something, and in the morning there's a strange noise in my engine until the car is fully warmed up. Any ideas of what's wrong? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-13-2010 | 01:04 PM
Intermediate

I had an issue just like that minus the rusty old door noise. But after some research on azine i found out that a simple 50 cent o-ring was the culprit. it's the power steering inlet o-ring. I went to the dealer and went to parts counter and asked for it the guy just gave it to me he said it wasn't even worth the hassle in paper work it was so cheap. It took all of 2 minutes to change out.

check out the thread for a diy. it's very easy.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...+steering+ring
Old 01-13-2010 | 01:10 PM
Racer

Ooh. Well it was it was a strange noise. I didn't know how to explain the sound it was making and rusty door just popped into mind. I was just checking out some stuff on that too. Could you buy that o-ring from auto zone or anything? or just like honda/acura dealerships?

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b07-060.pdf
(I found that site on google)
Old 01-13-2010 | 01:16 PM
Race Director

Have you have the ps tsb done? That will include replacing the O-ring as well as the hoses and fluid.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b08-016.pdf

It also could be something as simple as low PS fluid. Have you checked the PS fluid level?
Old 01-13-2010 | 02:34 PM
Team Owner

The rusty door sound sounds more like a tight/dry ball joint or bushing. Powersteering usually shows up as a whine.
Old 01-13-2010 | 08:40 PM
Instructor

I'd bet it's your power steering--low fluid or pump going bad or both. Has your car had the PS recall? (You can find out by registering your car on MyAcura.com; if it hasn't been done it's a free repair.) I've had groaning noises from a power steering pump in the past, though not on a Honda product. You need to have your steering checked ASAP. If the pump's bad you could lose steering ability, if it's a leak you could lose the whole car to a fire, and if I Hate Cars is right you could have a wheel more or less fall off the car.
Old 01-13-2010 | 11:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by shftl
I'd bet it's your power steering--low fluid or pump going bad or both. Has your car had the PS recall? (You can find out by registering your car on MyAcura.com; if it hasn't been done it's a free repair.) I've had groaning noises from a power steering pump in the past, though not on a Honda product. You need to have your steering checked ASAP. If the pump's bad you could lose steering ability, if it's a leak you could lose the whole car to a fire, and if I Hate Cars is right you could have a wheel more or less fall off the car.
Yep. I've had it happen before. Not fun at all. I agree to check the PS first and if that's not it, start looking at balljoints. I've noticed it's very common in Accords to have a squeaky balljoint from lack of lube but probably even more common to have a noisy PS pump.
Old 01-14-2010 | 07:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The rusty door sound sounds more like a tight/dry ball joint or bushing. Powersteering usually shows up as a whine.
I can't really explain what it sounds like. The sound is much louder when the car is really cold, but when the car warms up it is not as loud. You can hear it when you're parked, fully stopped, or making a slow turn.

Originally Posted by shftl
I just checked it, and it said it was fixed. The previous owner, I guess, got it fixed 2/27/2008. Do you think I can still take it in if that's the problem and still get it fixed for free?

I also had my dad to check it out for me. He said there was a lot of air in the engine oil, making bubbles in it. . He said the oil had came out once. Other than that it's been fine. I think i am going to try that o-ring thing first to see if that works. I'm hoping I don't have to get a whole new p.s pump or something because the Honda dealership is trying to charge me $400 for it.

Last edited by lylen; 01-14-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-14-2010 | 09:09 AM
Race Director

He said the oil had come out once? Explain

Air in the engine oil? Or did you mean PS oil?

Take it back to the Acura dealer that did the TSB. It sounds like they screwed something up. This could have been screwed up for quite some time now and only came to your attention due to the cold weather. Also, the O-ring would have been replaced with the TSB.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 01-14-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-14-2010 | 10:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
He said the oil had come out once? Explain

Air in the engine oil? Or did you mean PS oil?

Take it back to the Acura dealer that did the TSB. It sounds like they screwed something up. This could have been screwed up for quite some time now and only came to your attention due to the cold weather. Also, the O-ring would have been replaced with the TSB.
i think he said the ps oil. well i got the car back in august and nothing was wrong with it. never took it to the dealership yet for maintence or anything. and i don't know if i got warranty on the car.
Old 01-14-2010 | 10:50 AM
Race Director

If it's a faulty TSB install, you're covered regardless. Take it to the dealer.
Old 01-14-2010 | 12:07 PM
Racer

what's a tsb? regardless if the recall part has been fixed, i can still get it fixed free of charge?
Old 01-14-2010 | 01:14 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by lylen
what's a tsb? regardless if the recall part has been fixed, i can still get it fixed free of charge?
Technical Service Bulletin. See post #4 again and the link in that post.

TSBs should be performed by the dealers regardless of ownership or warranty status of the vehicle. If the TSB has already been performed, but done incorrectly, they should fix it.
Old 01-14-2010 | 01:23 PM
Racer

Ooh. Do you think it's the p.s hose? Because I do not want to go to the dealership and have to pay $1000+ for a new pump. (That's the price they told us they will do for the p.s pump + labor.)
Old 01-14-2010 | 01:44 PM
Team Owner

Ooh. Do you think it's the p.s hose? Because I do not want to go to the dealership and have to pay $1000+ for a new pump. (That's the price they told us they will do for the p.s pump + labor.)
If it's aerated it's the hose/o-ring, not likely the pump.
Old 01-14-2010 | 10:04 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
TSBs should be performed by the dealers regardless of ownership or warranty status of the vehicle. If the TSB has already been performed, but done incorrectly, they should fix it.
I believe only mandatory recalls (like the PS hose and o-ring) will be repaired regardless of warranty status, while TSBs are recommendations which dealers are not obligated to perform for free when the vehicle is out of warranty, although some dealers will goodwill some TSB work.
Old 01-15-2010 | 08:40 AM
Intermediate

[QUOTE=lylen;11644715]Ooh. Well it was it was a strange noise. I didn't know how to explain the sound it was making and rusty door just popped into mind. I was just checking out some stuff on that too. Could you buy that o-ring from auto zone or anything? or just like honda/acura dealerships?

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b07-060.pdf
(I found that site on google)[/QUOTE

I don't know if they have the o-ring at autozone or not i just went to the dealer because i knew they had it there. Just go to the dealer it's shouldn't be more than a dollar, like i said the parts guy just gave it to me. I swore up and down there was something major wrong with my car. It was loud and annoying. it was moaning during turning. it was hard to turn. the fluid level was close to normal. I swore i was going to have to spend some serious dollars. but after a quick search i decided to try the o-ring and i was so relieved that it went back to normal. I would just suggest you try it and if it doesn't work than you know you have a bigger issue.
Old 01-15-2010 | 08:43 AM
Intermediate

i think if it was the hose than i would be leaking. but if the recall wasn't done on your car. I would take it in and get the hose replaced and the o-ring at the same time and the other 2 recalls if not completed. they have to do it. it's a recall and it shouldn't cost you a dime.