VSA & (!) problem linked to AC?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
VSA & (!) problem linked to AC?!

Have had VSA and (!) for a while. Dealer fooled with it once and blamed it on continuity from the battery. Eventually the lights went out but returned a couple months later. Non resettable.

For the past 3 months, lights have been coming a going. If they were off when I started the car, it was completely random when they would show back up - but VSA off worked as advertised when they were out.

So just drove from VA to FL and a couple hours into the trip it started warming up and I turned on the AC. Nothing blowing out of the vents. I could hear the fan running behind the dash normally but nothing was coming out of any of the vents. Normally, even with AC off, cool air will trickle as I drive...negative on this, too. It was as if the vents were blocked. Next day, everything back to normal.

On my way back to VA a couple days ago something finally caught my eye. The AC wasn't working again (so far, only on long road trips) and the first time I punched the AC button I swear I saw the VSA and (!) lights turn on at the same time. Hit some traffic, turned AC off then engine. Lights are out and I push AC button - BAM! VSA and (!) lights are linked to turning on AC.

Back in town now. AC works fine but VSA and (!) lights are acting as stated above.

WTF? How are these two systems linked and I hope to gawd one of you smart people tells me I just need to buy some fuzes.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
mmh I sooo hope you didnt get a leaky ac and it corroded them wires have the dealer check that
Old 10-06-2009, 08:17 AM
practicing nihilist

was that a common problem? AC has always blown very cold. Fak! I'm so anti-dealership since my last couple outings under warranty. now i'm out of warranty and they're going to say: "We want to replace the VSA computer...$2K", or, "We need to replace the ECU...$1500". They just replace boxes and hope for the best in my experience.

Thanks, man. So what the have you been working on, beside the new baby?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:11 AM
practicing nihilist

ok, so the lights tripping are only linked to the AC compressor itself. if i have the system in vent ("AC OFF") and turn the car off and back on, no lights.

also, why do the 2 fans behind the radiator come on when the AC is running? I know they don't push the air coming through the vents.

other than that, coolant level is a little low and power steering fluid might be a pinch low. all fuzes and resistors seem in tact.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
VSA and ! sign usually means the brake switch has gone bad or isn't working right.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 AM
practicing nihilist

what's up, Csmeance!

I checked that. all lights and system itself work fine. I did get one lock-up below 15 mph once but, I think that was a proper malfunction of the VSA not working. I really don't want to just start replacing a million random sensors and switches to hunt it down. It has specific parameters that trip it but it's electrical, and that's definitely my weak area.

*UPDATE*: looks like it's a problem most likely to happen when the AC is activated and the engine is relatively cold. A couple times I've tested it well into a drive and the lights stay out. Also, have done plenty of tests with Vent only and this doesn't affect it...only the functions that use AC, including defrost and in any selectable Mode.

I think it's time to call the tech line. Are those phone calls worth it? What I don't want to hear is "Just take it into a dealership..." That's been done and misdiagnosed twice.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:48 PM
practicing nihilist

*UPDATE*: AC doesn't seem to trigger lights when car is up to temp. I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.......
Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
VSA and ! sign usually means the brake switch has gone bad or isn't working right.
+1

you should have at least 2 codes related to this problem

A brake light switch circuit faulty.
Battery output signal low. (Something like that)
You may also have a 3rd code but i dont remember it by heart right now

After replacing the switch you will need to go through a re-learn process for the brake pedal. They can do with the factory scan tool, you can do it by jumping 2 wires on the DLC and running it through a few steps. Simple to do, ive done this job 5x already.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:01 PM
practicing nihilist

I've read all the brake problem threads.

So, you're saying, even with all the wacky circumstances I've listed it's most likely the brake light pressure switch?

are you an acura tech? how much do they normally charge for the relearn process? I'm a DIY'er but wires scare me.