VSA, engine and VSA triangle came on help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,691 Likes on 6,705 Posts
Originally Posted by IronHeadEddie
After reading through this thread and dozens more about mechanics misdiagnosis of this problem, I decided to do my own diagnosis and skip a mechanic offering to replace my transmission for $3,000 when it ended up being a $135 part. Although I do appreciate the pages for the manual, very helpful, next time try it without the snide bullshit opener. Not a very welcoming reply to my first post on these forums if you ask me. /facepalm /middlefinger
No one asked you

In the future, make sure you indicate in your 'very first post' that it was an aftermarket part so that we can try and properly help you diagnose, you can't give us half information and then expect us to help you diagnose your problem..

it probably hurt your ego when someone posts something "snide" but this is the internet, welcome , You must be new here
Old 02-03-2020, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by El_Cheapo
You should pull the codes from the ABS. They will give an idea of where to troubleshoot. The codes might just be coincidental.

As for your misfire, swap the coil pack with another one and see if the code follows the coil. Do that before you buy a new coil pack. That would be simplest.
Voltage: 12.4 - 12.6v with engine off/no key
13.8 - 14.0v with engine running no lights or accessories on
Voltage seems within the limits they should be correct me if I'm wrong, so since I was throwing code P0306 (Cyl 6 Misfire) with the VSA and /!\ I went ahead and swapped the spark plug and coil pack from Cyl 6 into Cyl 5 see if the misfire jumps over to Cyl 5. I may add that when taking off the spark plug and coil pack on Cyl 6 I found it was a champion spark plug compared to the NGK and the rubber piece at the end of the coil pack stayed on the spark plug and it was a pain in the ass to get it out and the rubber is kind of chewed up so that in a way is reassuring that I probably found the culprit but I installed it anyway into Cyl 5 to see if it truly was before I think of doing a new spark plug and coil pack but currently I have no check engine light after about 15-20 miles of driving but its only happened before when I first started the car or took off right away almost like a cold start. As for pulling the ABS Codes I get no ABS light but I would need to find a scanner with ABS my scanner doesnt
Old 02-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by TRebelo
Voltage: 12.4 - 12.6v with engine off/no key
13.8 - 14.0v with engine running no lights or accessories on
Those look good. However, the alternator and battery should be load tested to get a definitive good or bad result.

Voltage seems within the limits they should be correct me if I'm wrong, so since I was throwing code P0306 (Cyl 6 Misfire) with the VSA and /!\ I went ahead and swapped the spark plug and coil pack from Cyl 6 into Cyl 5 see if the misfire jumps over to Cyl 5. I may add that when taking off the spark plug and coil pack on Cyl 6 I found it was a champion spark plug compared to the NGK and the rubber piece at the end of the coil pack stayed on the spark plug and it was a pain in the ass to get it out and the rubber is kind of chewed up so that in a way is reassuring that I probably found the culprit but I installed it anyway into Cyl 5 to see if it truly was before I think of doing a new spark plug and coil pack but currently I have no check engine light after about 15-20 miles of driving but its only happened before when I first started the car or took off right away almost like a cold start.
You should get the coil pack replaced even if it's working now before it fails again. A dead coil will give you a blinking check engine light and glowing exhaust if left running long enough. That will damage your cat.

As for pulling the ABS Codes I get no ABS light but I would need to find a scanner with ABS my scanner doesnt
It looks like you cleared all the codes and the ABS lights have not returned?

I would wait to see if they come back and scan it at that point. Can't fix what's not there.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So here we are again lol I had the same codes come up P0306 (Cyl 6 Misfire) along with the VSA even after I switched both spark plug and coil pack from Cyl 6 to Cyl 5 I’m still getting the same Cyl 6 misfire code it didn’t jump to Cyl 5 so it seem it’s not a bad coil or spark plug but the codes didn’t pop up right away it kicked on about 170 miles later on a cold start 35° night, but it’s just been cold in general in the NorthEast I’m from Rhode Island but it’s lasted a while since the switch of the coil pack and spark plug and codes reset, all my wires and connections seem intact. Should I try a new battery maybe my voltage is dropping enough to make it screwy, the battery came back good but it looks a little hurt maybe it can’t take the load I’ll get it load tested before committing but it’s all I can think of thats cheaper than another solution like maybe a valve adjustment. What other issues can cause this weird thing going on? What steps should I take
Old 02-10-2020, 01:49 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
So here we are again lol I had the same codes come up P0306 (Cyl 6 Misfire) along with the VSA even after I switched both spark plug and coil pack from Cyl 6 to Cyl 5 I’m still getting the same Cyl 6 misfire code it didn’t jump to Cyl 5 so it seem it’s not a bad coil or spark plug but the codes didn’t pop up right away it kicked on about 170 miles later on a cold start 35° night, but it’s just been cold in general in the NorthEast I’m from Rhode Island but it’s lasted a while since the switch of the coil pack and spark plug and codes reset, all my wires and connections seem intact. Should I try a new battery maybe my voltage is dropping enough to make it screwy, the battery came back good but it looks a little hurt maybe it can’t take the load I’ll get it load tested before committing but it’s all I can think of thats cheaper than another solution like maybe a valve adjustment. What other issues can cause this weird thing going on? What steps should I take
Scan the ABS module. Perhaps there is some helpful info there.