VSA, check engine and ! lights on..

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSA, check engine and ! lights on..

i was driving and suddenly when i accelerate it seems that i couldnt have any powerr..and then all the lights turn on...i pulled over..turn off the engine and restart..the check engine light still on..i just drive for 2mins..andd the same problem come backk..gotta pulled over again..restart engine..i dont know if someone had this kind of problem...?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:16 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
you should use the search button !!!

Anyway this is a tranny problem....if ur in warranty ur in luck....else i would suggest parting with the car....

what year model ???
Old 02-13-2010, 07:00 PM
10th Gear

thanks for the reply..its a 2005..hope the problem its not 2 serious..i think ill bring it to the dealership but i try to know wut cause that problem..if anyone can help me..ill appreciate it..coz i dont reaally trust lol
Old 02-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
I bet a million dollars your problem is cause of your gas cap. Rotate it a couple of times to make sure its tight, and if the light goes away come back and tell us.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:17 PM
10th Gear

yeaa..thats wut i thought..but i always rotate a couple of times..btw did u have the same problem with the VSA just because of a gas cap??
Old 02-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Now that you just said VSA i know for sure its the problem. I have no idea what the other guy is talking about.. but don't listen to him cause Acura will charge you $100 just to take a look at your car. Anyways, just go outside and turn it a couple of times to make sure its tight (make sure it clicks at least 3 times). Get back in your car and drive for like 5 mins and all should be good!
Old 02-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Forgot to mention that this happened to me lol... Well it wasn't my fault cause my dad put gas in my car and when i was driving it the car started acting just like yours. I was shiting my pants at the time till i read the owners manual, only to find out the gas cap was the problem
Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

wow...all that from a gas cap....crazy
Old 02-14-2010, 11:36 AM

am sorry to break it to you guys....the problem is not the GAS cap....

all u guys kinda look new to the forum (from the post count)....read around....

when the VSA and the ! light is on, your tranny is gone !!! the problem might disappear when you turn ur car off and turn it back on (hence when you went to turn the gas cap and you turned ur car off and came back turned your car on the problem went away) !!!

i would recommend you to do this:

1> smell ur tranny fluid...does it smell burnt ?
2> see your tranny fluid...does it look black/ dark brown
3> does your car shrudder ?
4> does your car loose power intermitently ?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
A loose gas cap will NOT cause a loss of power as the OP described. Additionally, a loose gas cap message will appear first BEFORE all the warning lights come on (message will be in the MID).

Also, this does NOT sound like a tranny problem at this point, given the limited information by the OP.

A little more info would be helpful. Additionally, if you don't want to take your car to Acura to have it scanned/diag'ed, lots of places like Autozone, etc will scan your car for free and then give you the code. Which would be much more helpful in assisting you in diag...
Old 02-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acuratech239
A loose gas cap will NOT cause a loss of power as the OP described. Additionally, a loose gas cap message will appear first BEFORE all the warning lights come on (message will be in the MID).

Also, this does NOT sound like a tranny problem at this point, given the limited information by the OP.

A little more info would be helpful. Additionally, if you don't want to take your car to Acura to have it scanned/diag'ed, lots of places like Autozone, etc will scan your car for free and then give you the code. Which would be much more helpful in assisting you in diag...
Are you sure thats not just on your Type-S? Cause i never got any kind of warning on my MID. Also i did feel a loss of power believe it or not(or at least it felt like it), and my check engine light didn't go away even when i turned the car off. The VSA light only went away for a few mins when i turned the car off and then came back on again but the check engine light was on the whole time. To this day i still can't believe all this happened becasue my damn gas cap wasn't on tight enough... I agree with you though, OP should take it to Autozone and get it checked out if the gas cap isn't the problem.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:51 PM
AJT
8th Gear

I had the exact same problem. I jumped the gun and assumed it was the APP sensor. As mentioned, get the code scanned at Autozone and post it here. My issue turned out to be the TPS. Bought a new one from acuraoemparts.com, installed, and no more problems.

But again, get the code scanned first and post it here.

Edit: Here's my thread discussing it: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/help-its-not-app-sensor-748736/
Old 02-15-2010, 05:36 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

No it's not just on my Type S that you get an MID warning. I have never even personally gotton that warning, I just see it a few times a month on customer's cars at work. We of course just end up clearing it for them. And I am 100% sure that you will not get a loss of power due to the fuel cap not being tight. It's just an EVAP code, and it does not affect performance in that sense.

Additionally, APP sensor was what came to mind initially, but there is nowhere near enough info to speculate at this point that that is what it could be, so I decided not to previously mention it.

I wil be curious to see what OP comes back to us with if and when he gets the code scanned.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 AM

The tranny failure will never display on the MID....as a matter of fact no failures are displayed on the MID....

One last question to the OP....was your D flashing ???
Old 02-15-2010, 11:42 AM
10th Gear

no, it didnt...i dont think the problem is the tranny..but the APP sensor..lot of people had the same problem..and they solve it by replacing the sensor..anyway ill bring my car to the dealership tomorrow..we'll see whos right lol
Old 02-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
No it's not just on my Type S that you get an MID warning. I have never even personally gotton that warning, I just see it a few times a month on customer's cars at work. We of course just end up clearing it for them. And I am 100% sure that you will not get a loss of power due to the fuel cap not being tight. It's just an EVAP code, and it does not affect performance in that sense.

Additionally, APP sensor was what came to mind initially, but there is nowhere near enough info to speculate at this point that that is what it could be, so I decided not to previously mention it.

I wil be curious to see what OP comes back to us with if and when he gets the code scanned.
My guess is APP sensor as well. Get the DTC's!!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
The tranny failure will never display on the MID....as a matter of fact no failures are displayed on the MID....

The 07-08 Models have any error codes such as CEL's pop up on the navi or MID screen depending on what it is (some aren't programed into the car to show up)

Was you D light blinking?

Originally Posted by Majofo
My guess is APP sensor as well. Get the DTC's!!
I concur, it sounds like the Accelerator Position Sensor as the car has gone into LIMP mode to protect itself and the driver from serious injury. Go to your dealer and have them pull the DTC codes for errors to help you diagnose it.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Originally Posted by swoosh

Again, I will say that a loose gas cap, which is an (EVAP) failure, will display on the MID. Not to be confused with the later mentioned messages that can be viewed on 07-08 TLs w/ navi since they have AcuraLink, as those were not the messages I was talking about. Glad to see some helpful and insightful posts were finally made concerning the OPs question/problem. Speaking of which, where is the OP with the code(s)? J/K OP, keep us posted!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:25 AM
10th Gear

i just went to the dealer and yeaa..its the APP sensor...but they asking me 470$ for repair it...is it me or is expensive?? dont know if i can have a better price?? ohh and..does anyone can install a APP sensor? cos they told me they need to reprogramm it with computer...something like that..bullshit or not?? lol...anyway i need i fast replyy...dont know what to do!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:43 AM

lol... go to acuraoemparts.. order it & check for the DIY in the problems & fixes folder.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Pro

I didn't even know the 05 had a gas cap warning light. 500 bucks is a whole lot to fix that.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:15 PM

^^^ no shit, i didnt know either !!!

to the OP, sorry for some misinformation i put in the thread....guess am learning more about my car as well !!!

as for the 05 model (which I own) not failures are displayed in the MID, only maintenance minders !!! No as cap warning either (as far as i know) !!!

Glad you found out the issue and working towards getting it fixed !!!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

OP -

Glad you got some concrete results. Like some of us had suggested, the APP sensor turned out to be your issue. As also stated, pick up the part online for a lot cheaper, and do it yourself. You only need basic hands tools, and it's straight forward. The DIY will help you out if you're not mechanically inclined.

Not to get off topic, but I don't know what I have to do to convince some people in this thread that the MID on ALL 3G TLs will show a failure message of a loose gas cap. In fact, I just double checked on ISIS (Honda/Acura's interactive network) to confirm I'm right. And I am. I've got screen shots from the owner's manual (feel free to check yours), service news articles, etc. If anyone still doesn't believe me, feel free to remove your gas cap and drive around for a few days with it off. Then get back to me and let me know what your MID says

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here, but there is a lot of incorrect info out there in general, and in this thread, and the only way people can learn is to be corrected. (In fact, usually I just sit back silently and laugh, hence my "low" post count given my join date. But sometimes a tech just needs to step in and set the record straight, as well as other info )

That said, good luck in fixing your car OP
Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 PM

Well said acuratech239.. there's a lot of great info on the board but if there's anyone's advice I look for it's yours, 240sx's or racinghart's, you guys see this stuff everyday. Lucky for me 240sx is in my area.. Anyways, thanks for contributing to the community.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:38 PM
10th Gear

hey thanks for the link (acuraoemparts.com) but does this site ship to canada? if not..does anybody know one?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Originally Posted by Majofo
Well said acuratech239.. there's a lot of great info on the board but if there's anyone's advice I look for it's yours, 240sx's or racinghart's, you guys see this stuff everyday. Lucky for me 240sx is in my area.. Anyways, thanks for contributing to the community.
Thank you for the compliment And yes, I too take interest in threads in which 240 and racinghart post because I can pick up info from them and apply it to my own dealership. Bottom line, being in the field, as you stated, allows me to see a lot of stuff, and I try to pass that on to the community when needed!

OP - I checked their website under the shipping and FAQs, and neither section mentions shipping to Canada. So I guess you could call/email them, or try and find someone else's thread from Canada who has purchased from them before? Good luck!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have this same problem right now! Thank god i found this, wow. Ive been having these same problems and i freaked out, i took it to auto zone and they picked upp these two codes p2227(probable cause; failed ecm) & p1128(probable cause; failed MAP).
So i went ahead and changed the MAP sensor, nothing happened. Then I changed the 3rd &4th gear switches hoping it would be that. Im going to be super pissed if its the gas cap. If its the APP sensor thatll be good. What sort of transmission problems could I be facing if its not the APP sensor
Old 02-18-2010, 09:58 AM

cellph .. APP sensor has it's own distinct DTC's. Did you deep creep the map port like I suggested in your thread? Also did you clear the codes after putting in the new MAP sensor? Just for sanity's sake, remove the passenger kick panel & see if there's moisture on the ecm or around the wire harnesses. If all that checks out.. I think you might have a mechanical issue.. could be bent valve or transmission related. Have you ever overrevved the engine or do you drive at redline much? You should get a compression & leak down test performed, should be fairly cheap.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Originally Posted by cellph titled
I have this same problem right now! Thank god i found this, wow. Ive been having these same problems and i freaked out, i took it to auto zone and they picked upp these two codes p2227(probable cause; failed ecm) & p1128(probable cause; failed MAP).
So i went ahead and changed the MAP sensor, nothing happened. Then I changed the 3rd &4th gear switches hoping it would be that. Im going to be super pissed if its the gas cap. If its the APP sensor thatll be good. What sort of transmission problems could I be facing if its not the APP sensor
First off, P2227 is DTC P2227: BARO Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Problem, not a failed PCM code (good job Autozone). I was even nice enough to paste the Service News for you regarding that code:

ServiceNews Article

Got a vehicle in your shop with DTC P2227 (BARO sensor range/performance problem)? Before you start
troubleshooting, first check for a clogged engine air inlet. Leaves, paper, plastic bags, or a dirty or wet air
cleaner element can cause an air inlet restriction, which will cause this DTC to set.
To fix this problem, clear out any debris from the engine air inlet or replace the air cleaner element.
July 2007
Got DTC P2227? Check for a Clogged Engine Air Inlet
Currently Applies To: ’03–06 MDXs, ’02–06 RSXs, and ’04–08 TLs
B07070E

Not saying it's your prob, but it can't hurt to check since Acura thought it important enough to make a service news about it.

Second, the first step (note) in the diag for P2227 states:

If DTC P0107, P0108, P1128, and/or P1129 are stored at the same time as DTC P2227, troubleshoot those DTCs first, then recheck for DTC P2227.

Third, the exact description of P1128 is DTC P1128: MAP Sensor Circuit Lower Than Expected.

All that said, in the past the MAP and BARO sensors shared some wiring, reference voltage (5 volt) wire, I believe. I'm on my girlfriends laptop and can't pull up the schematics because she doesn't have something installed, so I can't double check this. But a restriction, like what I listed above in the service news, could cause the lower value.

Having the diag and HDS would make this pretty easy because a lot of it is just looking a values and voltages.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear

I'm having similar problems awhile after driving the idle fluctuates an the car bucks an struggles to switch a gear but doesn't start in till u drive it for about twenty minutes an I used my code reader an came up with tc failure an torque converter failure an it's said some thing about two or three sensors failure could these sensors be the problem an not the tranny or is it all of these together