Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 PM
05 WDP/Ebony/5AT/NaviLess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Vibration

I recently bought a 2005 TL (5AT) and have noticed a vibration with the vehicle. At first I thought it was the vibration that others had mentionned (i.e. the 1500 rpm / 50mph).

Mine however is a bit different. It seems to happen if the car has been sitting for a long time and is thoroughly cold. Once I start it, the car idles rough, and emits vibration at various speeds/revs.

If the car is fully warmed up, then turned off, and then started again not too long after (1-2hrs) it is smooth as can be at all speeds and revs.

For example, today I started the car after not driving it for 2 days, and it idled rough, drove rough at various speeds, even on the highway. When I reached my destination I parked, and let the car sit for about 1hr. When I came back and drove the car, it was perfectly fine, and very smooth. I had 2 more stops like this, and after each one the car was still as smooth.

Has anyone else come across this? Any ideas? I'll probably be taking it to the dealer but just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Thats Flatspotting for you bud...Will try to explain you but do a search and you will find very good explanations...

Since our car has low profile tires (thin) they have extra amount of carbon (i think) in the side walls to prevent the tires from easily popping when you when you hit potholes...

side effect of this is that when you have the car in a stationary position for extended periods of time (worst when its cold weather) due to the weight of the car the spot of tire that is in contact with the ground turns flat...hence when you start driving you will feel the vibration (every time that flat spot rotates and comes around) ...once the tires warm up the flat spot goes away and your tires are back to normal

some tires have a tendency to flat spot more so then the others...If you have the bridgestone turanzas then you are in for a hell of a winter...not sure how bad it is in the Michelins...

hope this helps
Old 10-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by scrb09
Thats Flatspotting for you bud...Will try to explain you but do a search and you will find very good explanations...

Since our car has low profile tires (thin) they have extra amount of carbon (i think) in the side walls to prevent the tires from easily popping when you when you hit potholes...

side effect of this is that when you have the car in a stationary position for extended periods of time (worst when its cold weather) due to the weight of the car the spot of tire that is in contact with the ground turns flat...hence when you start driving you will feel the vibration (every time that flat spot rotates and comes around) ...once the tires warm up the flat spot goes away and your tires are back to normal

some tires have a tendency to flat spot more so then the others...If you have the bridgestone turanzas then you are in for a hell of a winter...not sure how bad it is in the Michelins...

hope this helps

sounded like a pretty damn good explaination to me
Old 10-26-2005, 07:58 AM

hope this helps

But here's the interesting thing, its not only during movement, it happens when I'm sitting still, like in park, or idling at a light. I thought it might be the flat spotting issue as well, but I don't think it is. Plus I have the Michelins.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

I think you are noticing 2 seperate issues. One, the flatspotting, I would agree with the above posts. I have the Michelins on my Navi / Auto model and I have some slight wobble after the car sits overnight, or all day while at the office. It disappears after a mile or two down the road, and is not as pronounced as I have experienced driving TLs with EL42 Turanzas.

The second issue, vibration at idle and start up I believe is somewhat a trait of the TLs ULEV2 emmissions. In order to choke out emmissions (which are worst at start up and idle, especially cold), the TL sacrifices a bit of smoothness. Although I find it very minor, my initial observations with the TL was it was not as silky smooth on start up and idle as I anticipated (this is my 1st Honda product). It is likely a common query with TL owners as I remember my dealer went through great pain to explain and demo this trait when I had my TL 101 class upon delivery.

If you are unsure, have your service center evaluate the car. But nice to get some opinions here which may or may not be validated by the dealer.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by TampaMike
I think you are noticing 2 seperate issues. One, the flatspotting, I would agree with the above posts. I have the Michelins on my Navi / Auto model and I have some slight wobble after the car sits overnight, or all day while at the office. It disappears after a mile or two down the road, and is not as pronounced as I have experienced driving TLs with EL42 Turanzas.

The second issue, vibration at idle and start up I believe is somewhat a trait of the TLs ULEV2 emmissions. In order to choke out emmissions (which are worst at start up and idle, especially cold), the TL sacrifices a bit of smoothness. Although I find it very minor, my initial observations with the TL was it was not as silky smooth on start up and idle as I anticipated (this is my 1st Honda product). It is likely a common query with TL owners as I remember my dealer went through great pain to explain and demo this trait when I had my TL 101 class upon delivery.

If you are unsure, have your service center evaluate the car. But nice to get some opinions here which may or may not be validated by the dealer.
Thanks Mike, I wouldn't have thought of that. I'll have to check that out with the dealer. The funny think I find, is that the vibration is always there when I start it the first time until I start it the second time. In other words, until I stop, park, and then come back to restart it, I always experience some vibration from the cold start. In the example I used, I drove about 40mins after the cold start, so it wasn't like it was a short trip.

I really hope I can solve this one though, because other than this, the car is spectacular! And sooo smooth!
Old 10-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hope this helps

That does not explain the rough idle...

I can understand how the flatspotting explains the ride characteristics. And as I am sure many of you know that the lower the profile tire the more you are apt to feel the affects of flatspotting. You will not notice it as much on 60 series tires.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pvansh
it happens when I'm sitting still, like in park, or idling at a light.
Have you tried putting it in Park or even neutral while sitting @ the light to see if it goes away ? If it does not then you can rule out the tranny and focus on Mike's suggesstion.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:55 AM

Have you tried putting it in Park or even neutral while sitting @ the light to see if it goes away ? If it does not then you can rule out the tranny and focus on Mike's suggesstion.
From what I remember, it was rough from the moment I started it (i.e. in Park).
Old 10-27-2005, 09:19 AM

Okay so I tried again this morning.

When I started, rough idle again (in park & drive).

Started driving for a bit, then the car warmed up, still rough at times and even at highway speeds (feels like the 1500rpm vibration that people are talking about, but it doesnt happen when the car is restarted and is warm). I also stopped at a light and put the car in neutral and the vibration seemed to go away. When I put the car into park when I got in to work, it was again smooth.

I THINK I may have 2 separate issues :

1) Rough idle when cold -- supposedly normal for this car
2) Rough drive when transmission is run from a cold start -- doesn't seem to go away until the car is restarted when warm (will have to re-test this).

Does this make any sense?????
Old 10-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

If this behavior is consistent and you can reproduce it, I would demo it for your Service Advisor. I do agree, it appears you are noting 2 issues. But once the car warms up a rough idle should disappear.

Let us know what feedback you get from the dealer.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just changed my tires a few days ago(stock el42 to pirelli pzero nero m+S) and i no longer have any vibration on the steering wheel. lately, it has been vibrating very badly and even began making the compartments under the steering wheel vibrate as well, it was real loud and annoying. my problem is solved. (BTW, these new tires are awesome, totaly transform the ride of the car)
Old 10-27-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock
i just changed my tires a few days ago(stock el42 to pirelli pzero nero m+S) and i no longer have any vibration on the steering wheel. lately, it has been vibrating very badly and even began making the compartments under the steering wheel vibrate as well, it was real loud and annoying. my problem is solved. (BTW, these new tires are awesome, totaly transform the ride of the car)
Don't know if this relates to my problem. I have the Michelin MXM4's on my car, and the vibration is only there on cold starts/trips.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:20 PM
10th Gear

hope this helps
In other words the Turanza's are a piece of crap! I had the Michelin Sport A/S put on and have not had any more vibrations or flatspotting....

Valgirl
Old 10-27-2005, 06:56 PM
05TL 5AT Abyss Blue Pearl

Hey everyone....I found this site shortly after I bought my 05 TL and found LOTS of really good information, but this will be my first post. I made an appointment to take my car in Monday for what sounds like a severe flat spotting problem. I already hate the EL-42's...they SUCK on anything but dry pavment.

Symptoms:
-car vibrates and I mean to the point of shaking things inside of the car really bad around 40-55. Only seems to happen after the car has been sitting for a while...most noticible when I drive to work in the morning. It's also be getting worse as the weather is getting colder. This morning it was @ 36 degrees and I actually pulled off the road because it felt like I had a flat tire. After the car has warmed up....smooth as glass. THe only things that don't really add up are it gets worse around 50mph if I'm going down a slight incline and take my foot off the gas. Also, I was on the interstate and it started vibrating pretty bad from 55 - 70 and I had been driving for 45 minutes....could have been the road....don't travel that interstate much....but something just didn't seem right. My last car had low profile tires on it and I NEVER experienced anything like this. Are the stock tires REALLY THIS BAD?

I love this car...and really hope I don't have an issue with the tranny I'm very happy with my service department....just wanted to do a little research and get all my ducks in a row before I drop of the car.

Anyone out there expierience flat spotting this bad?? If so, and you got new tires did it fix the problem?? THANKS!