Vehicle Stability Assist81 error

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 06:04 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle Stability Assist81 error

Hi everyone. I have a stock 2008 3.2 TL with 168,200 miles (second owner, purchased in 206 with 111k). On Monday afternoon my alarm was going off. I didn’t know it was from my car until I went to check it out. I went to the garage and was able to turn off the alarm with my key fob. However, the daytime running lights wouldn’t turn off (eventually they did after the car stopping spazzing out). I couldn’t even operate the door switches or key fob to lock/unlock the car while this was happening. Then, it all stopped. I scratched my head and went back in the house and a few minutes later, same thing happened - alarm going off, daytime running lights didn't want to shut off right away, door locks wouldn't operate from inside the car. I caught it on video to show my nephew. I had to run into the house for a Zoom meeting but as soon as it was done, I returned to the car, which thankfully was not longer beeping.

I started up the car and it gave me a “Vehicle Stability Assist81 ABS, VSA, and TCS may not operate” error. The VSA, ABC, and brake light are lit on the dash. My brother thought it might be a low battery (battery was replaced in May), so I planned on taking it the next day to get checked. Tuesday morning I took my car to AutoZone to get the battery and alternator checked. Car drives normally. No battery or alternator issues the guy said. He checked the codes and it reported an 81-3 “Yawrate Sensor Failure.” My niece works at a Honda dealer and she asked her two techs about this. They both said they have seen this before with the hood latch and that the code that came up has nothing to do with it. I’m inclined to think they’re right because the car alarm was going off before I got the error.
Any experiences with this same scenario and if so, ultimately what was the solution? Trying to figure out where to start. Do we start with replacing the yawrate sensor or the hood latch. Whatever it is, I need it taken care of for good. I plan on either selling or trading in this car in the next 6 months so I really don't want to spend a fortune on it if at all possible. Thanks so much.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:43 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
With as many errors and odd symptoms, this is most likely electrical. Since you have already had the battery and alternator checked, next look very very closely are your battery clamps and the cables themselves. If those all look good, then start looking around for any bad grounds within the engine bay. Next, check if the PCM has gotten wet.
The following users liked this post:
demdi75 (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 517 Posts
How old are your key fob batteries?
Old 11-27-2021, 06:28 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pair of TLs
How old are your key fob batteries?
Funny that you mention that. I was only given Driver 2 by the dealer. I never got around to getting another fob and was thinking about it since mine currently lasts 3 weeks with a new battery installed. Something may be going on with the fob (bad module?) or something else related to the car. This only started happening since I got this new car battery installed in May. When I don't drive for days I will use the battery tender. Do you think something could be happening with the fob and the car's electronics?