Unknown noise

Old 07-08-2017, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unknown noise

Hello everyone so im seeking help with you guys cause i have no other option i guess till whatever it is that is making the noise breaks. So going back a couple of weeks, so i changed my brake pads and rotors and secured everything, also completely bled my brakes and did my powersteering fluid, oil and transmission fluid as well. Everything was running fine till i heard this weird noise one morning, were talking 5 in the morning in florida, so temps are around 70ish i want to say, so i noticed the noise would only happen when i let me foot off the gas at around 55-60 and would continue to make the noise until about 40-35 till it fades out. So i ignored it cause when the car would heat up and i would drive at prime heat time in florida when its about a million degrees, i wouldnt have the noise, now skipping a week.... so to explain what im hearing it sounds like a thumping/rotating noise. So now the noise has become much more noticable and you can feel the pulsating in the gas and brake pedal, also if i hit the brake it quiets the noise up and when i turn the steering wheel. Also when i accelerate sometimes i hear think clunk noise like if something is shifting. Now keep in mind this noise doesnt happen when accelerating, and happens when im decelerating but only when i let go of the gas pedal but it i hit the brake, it wont make the noise. So i tool it to a well known mechanic and he test drove the car, i took the ride with him and explained everything and he definitely knew when and felt what i was talking about, he put it up on the lift saying the problem could have been the caliper bracket but i know i tighted those very well, so he double checked all the areas where he could think a noise like that could come from and came up empty. So with that being said now i need the advice of the guys who have worked and pretty much sleep, eat and breath the acura tl! Help me figure out this noise/issue! Thank you! Ohh also ps. I did use the google search option and came up with nothing... so none of that "its worth a google" stuff...
Old 07-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Did you check all of your lug nuts?

What did you torque the front calipers bolts to?

CV joint?

Can you pin point the noise location or narrow the location?
Old 07-09-2017, 07:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Did you check all of your lug nuts?

What did you torque the front calipers bolts to?

CV joint?

Can you pin point the noise location or narrow the location?
lug nuts are nice and tight, i torqued them down to spec and the mechanic double checked that they were torqued down to spec, cv joints i haven't looked into because the issue is a rotating thumping noise like its coming from one of the front wheels.... that's as close to pin pointing where is coming from, and being on the driver side it sounds like that drive side wheel, i also feel that pulsating/rotating/ thumping noise in my gas, brake and steering wheel.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:34 AM
Race Director

So your mechanic never pulled a wheel off? How is that a decent inspection?

Again, what torque spec did you use for the caliper bolts?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Intermediate

So your mechanic never pulled a wheel off? How is that a decent inspection?

Again, what torque spec did you use for the caliper bolts?
no he put it on the lift and did pull the wheels off but couldnt find the issue... and i torqued the bolts down at 80ft lbs.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rob_TL
.... Also when i accelerate sometimes i hear think clunk noise like if something is shifting. Now keep in mind this noise doesnt happen when accelerating,...
Huh?
Old 07-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
Did you check the parking brake (both sides), I know you said it sounds like its coming from the front but it would be good to check anyway. Also, could the rotors be a little out of round and making a noise rubbing on the pads? Might be worth it to take everything apart and put back together, you might find where its rubbing or see something that isnt right.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:57 PM
Intermediate

Huh?
lmao i wrote that piece wrong, so when i do accelerate, i hear this clunk come from the front wheels sometimes, but the knocking noise that i constantly hear when i let my foot off the gas doesnt happen when accelerating, just that clunk noise sometimes, kinda like if somethings loose but i cant see what cause everything is tight. I might just take buds idea and remove everything and put everything back and see if that helps the issue.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Race Director

Dunno, sounding like a CV joint issue: noise happens both upon application and cessation of power to the drive train....

Any noise if you make sharp (full steering wheel deflection) right and left, slow speed turns?
Old 07-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Is it a metallic noise? Check the 3 catalytic heat shields and check all the brake dust shields (esp the front as mechanics tend to use that to turn the wheel)
Old 07-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Race Director

I was first thinking it might be shields, but they make a metallic scraping sound, not a clunk or knock sound. And I don't see how a bent shield would causing a pulsing in the brake/gas pedals...

I was also thinking it might be a motor mount, but the pulsing in the pedals confuses the issue...

Last edited by nfnsquared; 07-09-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:18 PM
Intermediate

I was first thinking it might be shields, but they make a metallic scraping sound, not a clunk or knock sound. And I don't see how a bent shield would causing a pulsing in the brake/gas pedals...

I was also thinking it might be a motor mount, but the pulsing in the pedals confuses the issue...
now you see the issue im facing, its retarded! And nope when i make a sharp left or right it quiets the noise up, i really feel it has something to do with the wheels because its just a rotating type of pulsating knocking noise, so imma try removing everythinf from the front wheels and redoing it again.... but im still open to suggestions and its definitely not the shields, i know what those sound like and its not that. Havent checked into the cv joint though... imma google that...
Old 07-10-2017, 12:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Check the calipers. The rears could echo to the front as well. One method would be with rusty rotors like you'd get after rain or car wash. You can see how well the brakes respond by how it cleans off the rust in a few meters of periodic moving and braking lightly.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WDPanda
Check the calipers. The rears could echo to the front as well. One method would be with rusty rotors like you'd get after rain or car wash. You can see how well the brakes respond by how it cleans off the rust in a few meters of periodic moving and braking lightly.
yea but would that also cause you to be able to feel the pulsating in both your pedals and also your steering wheel if its in the real... and the rotors are brand new, no rust at all...
Old 07-10-2017, 10:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

yea but would that also cause you to be able to feel the pulsating in both your pedals and also your steering wheel if its in the real... and the rotors are brand new, no rust at all...
Vibrations can be felt anywhere, can't say for certain the floor or steering will shake. Sometimes the floor shaking will cause the steering to shake. If you don't want to use the cost free rust method, you could always use a laser thermometer to track the heat of the rotors.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

UPDATE! Soooooo! This might sound real sad but i was able to figure out what the issue was, i got around today to check everything and i noticed that on my right front wheel that not one but TWO of my lugs were gone, now i dont remember ever checking this wheel so well cause i was always checking the left front. i knew i had one missing on this side but i guess i over looked it cause i was worried it was my brakes and it ended up being another lug being gone. Got new lugs, popped them on nice and tight the whole issue stopped! I must have not tightened that lug right cause it started to rain when i was finishing up that wheel so i rushed to not get poured on.... so lessons i learned from this... be way more observant cause the issue could really be right in your face and also take your time and make sure you have the time to do the job right! My bad! But now we all know what kind of noise could come from two lugs being gone on a wheel! Thank you everyone for your suggestions though!

Last edited by Rob_TL; 07-11-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Race Director

Did you check all of your lug nuts?...
lug nuts are nice and tight, i torqued them down to spec and the mechanic double checked that they were torqued down to spec,....

And I'd never go back to that mechanic again....
Old 07-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Old 07-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

And I'd never go back to that mechanic again....
i went back to that mechanic and gave him shit cause how me just being a garage mechanic could figure the shit out but he probably noticed the two lugs and never said anything to me, he told me he never noticed.... ill just stick to figuring shit out myself from now one....

Search this Thread