Uneven gap between front tires and front fendors

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:28 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uneven gap between front tires and front fendors

hello experts

i have 05 tl since 07 and i recently noticed uneven gap between the front tires and their fenders horizontally. i can put about 3 fingers on the left and still litlle space available but only 2 or 2 1/2 on the right. any of you had this experience? my car was salvaged but hadnt had any major problems for 130k. my odometer reads 160k now.

i've had alignment when i took over the car

anyone know what the problem is and how to fix this problem? or what would be the consequence if i leave it like this? i assume this happened before i took over

thanks guys
Old 06-02-2014, 12:34 AM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 406 Likes on 317 Posts
So one side sits lower than the other? Mine does this too, I dont know why but I just assumed it wasn't bad for the car. I've never in two years had a problem.
The following users liked this post:
jotiefoo (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 12:36 AM
8th Gear

no the other way.

one sits front of the other
Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 AM
Security Dude

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe a shock is wearing out or the spring is sagging a little
jotiefoo (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 01:41 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
shock and spring wear wont make the wheel move forward or backwards on a car. Only affects up and down.

my guess is that it was involved in a major front end accident and bent the suspension.

ill effects? probably odd handling at the limit if you compare it to a normal TL. You've had the car since 07 any problems would have arisen by now. It has been like this longer than it was normal. as long as you're not replacing suspension parts or tires on a side (whos to say which side is normal) frequently just leave it.

Last edited by ez12a; 06-02-2014 at 01:49 AM.
jotiefoo (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 06:11 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
No

That is your caster alignment that is out of wack.

Caster is the position of the top of the shock in retrospect to the angle off the ground.. The more degrees of caster, the more it is not 90 degrees off the ground the stiffer the steering becomes. To adjust the caster u need to remove the wheel unlock the axle nut to allow some movement of the knuckle then u need to remove the plastic cover under the front bumper that covers the radiator. Once u get all the clips off that side, pull the cover down and this will expose the caster mounting position.

To see if the bushing is fucked u can just put ur foot on the car/wheel and push/kick it and see if it moves at all. If the wheel has front and a back play then u need to tighten the locknut and or buy a new bushing and install..

But know that u need to remove the radius rod to install the inner bushing..

Note the cast can ONLY be adjusted to move the wheel further back. NOT bring it forward.

In order to bring one side forward the only option you have is to use a stiffer bushing on one side and that will bring the wheel forward because it cannot be compressed as much.

It took me over a year to figure this out cause my car was in an accident and the caster was out a full degree whichis about half an inch on your wheelbase in difference! And the car would lean heavily to the shorter wheelbase side when u brake. It waS horrible and needed to be fixed..

I even tried grinding down the original radius rod but that just did not do the trick and I bought another new one to install and the. When I went to install a new bushing from partsource, it was much stiffer and when I put it in I noticed it pulled the wheel forward just over a half inch so now the car has more caster on the passenger which is what u wanna have if any cause of the road crown.

I prefer to have both sides identical so I will be putting in a shim/ fat ass washer eventually when I feel like tinkering with the old gal again.

Literally tho take a tape measure and just measure the length from wheel to wheel. And that will tell you how far u need to be adjusted.

This method only works tho if the rear wheels are writhing tolerance, so make sure u know for a fact the rear of the car is still good.

It took well over a year of error and trial to figure all this out so I hope someone makes some good use outa it. :-). That was the biggest accomplishment I have made with my car yet... And it drives like glass now... Except the alignment place centered the wheel a degree or two toooo far to the right!!!! That just bakes my noodle

Last edited by CL-S progression 01; 06-02-2014 at 06:16 AM.
jotiefoo (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 07:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Unfortunately those are some of the things you have to deal with when buying a salvaged car. You simply don't know the extent of the damage and how well the repairs were done. There is a reason the insurance company considered the car a write off. With all that said though it is just a car and it sounds like you got a lot of use out of it so that's good. As for if the differences in gaps can be adjusted I'm not sure. Do your tires seem to wear evenly?
jotiefoo (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 11:28 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
It's the caster... Period....

Even if the frame is bent u can make the car drive perfect if u tinker with the caster arms, which are referred to as the radius rod

Op your caster should be visible on the alignment sheet... What does it say?
jotiefoo (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 03:16 PM
8th Gear

thank you all for you replies

i'll probably ask the guys at alignment shop if they can fix it