Turning Key- intermittent starter problems: Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:28 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning Key- intermittent starter problems: Feedback

Hey guys,

I have a 2004 Acura TL auto with navigation and recently had a issues with the car starting up. I tried to find a thread for this but if you know one that handles it please post. Here is a review:

Problem:
I turn the key and I hear a click, no engine turn. This would happen intermittently. When the engine turns and cranks on, it turns right on. When it doesn't turn(meaning turning on) it just clicks. I believe the click means the solenoid is engaging the engine but isn't working. Lights in the car get power, yada yada.

Below is what I have done:
1. Cleaned battery terminals (starts here and there)
2. Changed out the starter for re-manufactured from Advanced (this caused the care to not start ever).
3. put the old starter back on (back to starting here and there)
4. The battery was just replaced on Aug 20, and the guys at Autozone checked it and it was good.

Guys, any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like you have a voltage drop somewhere. Make sure the battery ground at the engine block is clean and tight. If you can add another ground from the battery to the block do it. OR When you have the no engine turn, get a battery jumper cable and go from the negative on the battery to the engine block and see if it gets it going. It could be a poor connection somewhere in the starter circuit[not easy to find] or the "Starter Cut Relay" maybe intermittent.
[The relay is located on the drivers side relay and control unit module. If you hear the direction flasher noise it is with it.] Auto Zone should have a relay.

Good Luck!!
Old 09-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Sounds like you have an intermittently bad starter (stock) and the reman'd one you got from the store doesn't work at all.

When the car doesn't start, can you have someone bang on the starter with a mallet to see if it will start then? The solenoid for the starter rests on top of the starter itself, and they are known to go intermittently bad.