Transmission Seepage at Fly Wheel Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:31 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Seepage at Fly Wheel Cover

Howdy, I took my car in for an oil change and during their inspection they said found that the power steering pump was seeping, there was transmission seepage at the fly wheel cover, and dirty power steering fluid.

My power steering never got as loud as another thread here, you could only hear it during cold weather and I guess I didn't get to it in time. Am I as hosed as it sounds?

I got some quotes back that include labor. I'm not experienced enough to do it myself, and I haven't negotiated yet.

Transmission seal plate - $1920
Power steering pump - $590 (the other thread $261-$423)
Power steering exchange - $149.95

Is this in the ballpark of what I'd need and how much it would cost? Thanks very much for any insight.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
That depends on where it is seeping (power steering pump). It never hurts to ask them to show you what the problem is on your vehicle. Never be afraid to ask questions. If they start tripping over their words or change their story, you can safely suspect dishonesty.

PS fluid changes color over time, but that may not necessarily mean it's "dirty". I would ask them to qualify what they mean by "dirty". If you haven't changed it in over a year, it may be time. This also depends on where the so-called seepage is. It may exposed in a place where air is being drawn into the system as opposed to fluid being pumped out of the system. This would mean that additional crud in the engine compartment is getting in the PS system.

I can't comment on the trans seal plate... What year is your TL?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
seepage and leaks are also two different things. fluids low? doubtful. rebuild the pump or get a new one if necessary, could just be a $2 o-ring. I am assuming that for the $1920 they are rebuilding your transmission as well? nah dealer would be 3K, but thats a decent price for a rebuid at an independent shop. to replace a seal it should be $450 plus parts. Once again how are the fluid levels? drips on driveway? clean this area of seepage and see what comes back and how soon. Its really not an issue unless your leaking, not seeping. Only go to the dealer for warranty work they are trying to rip you.