Transmission Colour Brown

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 05:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Transmission Colour Brown

****I made a new thread for this****

I noticed my transmission fluid to be "brown" in colour but the transmission shifts normal. Should I be concerned about the colour?

As I have mentioned before I am taking in the car to replace the timing belt, tensioner and water pump as well as an oil change and transmission fluid replacement (1x3). I am planning to replace the sensors next year as part of my preventive maintenance and also replace my transmission fluid at every oil change interval for next year and then do it just once a year.

I am a little worried about the "brownish" colour since I know the previous owner last did a B service in 2012 @46,000 miles; and according to the B service the dealer checks the condition of all fluids and I assume that the transmission fluid was also inspected. I am currently @58,000 miles.

Previous owner kept up with the maintenance up until 58,000 miles where I purchased the vehicle. The previous owner sent me all his bills and other than doing a B service; there is no real indication fo the transmission fluid being changed.

Do you think that I should change the transmission fluid (1x3) ? OR will I damage the transmission by doing so?

I would really appreciate your input.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Fluid is only dyed red to distinguish it from other fluids and will turn dark after a period of time.
Black/burnt, then start to worry, but even that isn't a guarantee that you'll have trans problems.
Do normal maintenance and if it makes you feel better, do a 3x3 over a period of time.
If you beat on the car, expect some $$ outlay in the future.
The following users liked this post:
petroboy37ent (02-02-2022)
Old 10-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
If anything, get all the fluid changed out while you are doing the timing belt service or do it at home for much cheaper! You can buy a case of DW1 fluid from honda much cheaper than anywhere else, plus you get the case discount!

The fluid does look dirty but it's not a brown as I was expecting when I read the title. If you have an 04-06 TL, you can replace the filter pretty easily and that's great preventative maintenance. \

Also while doing the timing belt service, make sure they inspect your oil pan and oil pump for leaks and reseal them if necessary. Also suggest you ask they inspect and replace the front main seal if needed.

What year TL do you have as 58K miles is pretty low for a timing belt, but age does count!
Old 10-23-2016, 09:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
If anything, get all the fluid changed out while you are doing the timing belt service or do it at home for much cheaper! You can buy a case of DW1 fluid from honda much cheaper than anywhere else, plus you get the case discount!

The fluid does look dirty but it's not a brown as I was expecting when I read the title. If you have an 04-06 TL, you can replace the filter pretty easily and that's great preventative maintenance. \

Also while doing the timing belt service, make sure they inspect your oil pan and oil pump for leaks and reseal them if necessary. Also suggest you ask they inspect and replace the front main seal if needed.

What year TL do you have as 58K miles is pretty low for a timing belt, but age does count!

I have a 2006 TL. The previous owner was an elderly man who did all the maintenance at the dealer. It's seems like he just followed the maintenance minder and didn't really do anything else.

Thanks for your reply. I'm getting a drain and fill done tomorrow; along with my timing belt change. I'm also going to ask them about the sensors and filter. I will do a drain and fill at each oil change interval from now on to gradually take out the old fluid.

Again I don't have any transmission issues of yet and I would like to keep it that way. I'm planning on doing the sensors next year but I'll ask about the filter tomorrow.

Thank you,
Old 10-23-2016, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
You should do the sensors ASAP.