TPMS Error (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS Error (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

I have an 2007 Acura TL Type S with the factory gun metal rims and sensors. I have owned this car 3 years and they have worked fine. I live up in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and so it gets a bit chilly here in the winter. The sensors had been working all winter until last week when i left my car at the airport and when I got back after 5 days, I had a CHECK TPMS SYSTEM error on my computer. When i go to the tire pressure screen it now just has -- for all 4 wheels. So i am thinking that something in the computer went wacko because the chances of all 4 sensors going out at the same time isn't very good. Could the cold have effected them? I pulled the car in the garage for 2 days and it didn't fix the issue. Now, i have an annoying error on my screen every time I get in my car. Does anybody know of a way to fix this without bringing it to a dealer? Has anybody else had this issue?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rady0691
I have an 2007 Acura TL Type S with the factory gun metal rims and sensors. I have owned this car 3 years and they have worked fine. I live up in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and so it gets a bit chilly here in the winter. The sensors had been working all winter until last week when i left my car at the airport and when I got back after 5 days, I had a CHECK TPMS SYSTEM error on my computer. When i go to the tire pressure screen it now just has -- for all 4 wheels. So i am thinking that something in the computer went wacko because the chances of all 4 sensors going out at the same time isn't very good. Could the cold have effected them? I pulled the car in the garage for 2 days and it didn't fix the issue. Now, i have an annoying error on my screen every time I get in my car. Does anybody know of a way to fix this without bringing it to a dealer? Has anybody else had this issue?

It doesn't necessarily mean that all four went bad. When I popped my tire hitting a pothole I put a donut wheel on, and the system showed me a TPMS error and the tire pressure also showed -- on all 4. When I fixed the tire and put the full rim back on, the error went away.

Now as far as figuring out which sensor it is without going to the dealer, that would be difficult. Before you parked car did you hit any big potholes or anything on the way to the airport?? You'd probably have to have the dealer look at it, a lot of shops refuse to mess with factory TPMS sensors.
The following users liked this post:
Elegant TYPE S (10-22-2013)
Old 03-25-2011, 05:34 AM
4th Gear

I have that message periodically and it always goes away after a restart or two. Out of the ten or so times I have received the error light, there is never a preceding "incident." It always occurs while driving smoothly on the interstate, but it does seem to occur more during the cold months.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Intermediate

I hit a pretty good pot hole but it was like 2 weeks prior to the error. It worked since then and then just when the car sat for a long time, I started it up and it was erroring. The day after my warranty expired, i might add.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
take it to a dealer maybe they can goodwill it for u because u r barely out of warranty
Old 03-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Same thing happened to my TPMS a few weeks back. I haven't done anything to address the issue yet. The error code randomly came on and hasn't gone away. I'll probably be getting my tires swapped soon so maybe I can see if the batteries died on them or something. It would be a big hassle to take it into the dealership since they'll probably come up with some random bs and charge ridiculously. I'd be interested to hear what you end up doing.

Hello fellow Edmonton TL'er
Old 03-27-2011, 06:41 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
same happened to me. It cost me 60 bucks at my local tire shop to fix. not too shabby.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruby
same happened to me. It cost me 60 bucks at my local tire shop to fix. not too shabby.
What did they end up fixing? Was the tire damaged or something happen to the TPMS?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Intermediate

Ruby, What did they determine it was? I was thinking about putting my other rims on and see if that fixed it but I don't want to waste the time if that isn't the issue. I also don't want to go to a tire shop and have them think they can fix it and then spend 60 bucks if it doesn't solve anything.

VINSANITY, where abouts would be a good place in town to get a Nav DVD. Mine is a US version
Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Cruisin'

Hey guys, was going to make a thread asking question but I'll just post here.

My front left tire TPMS is acting weird. As soon as I start driving it, a good way it will go away. Then the message will return. The pressure was at 27 then it goes up to 30 as drive. I haven't contacted the dealer thought I could get information here, thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
In for a solution as well. My tire popped today on the highway so I pulled over and put on the OEM spare. At first everything was fine, I put the MID on the tire pressure and it was all in the 30's except for the spare which was 58. Then on the way home it popped up and all of the tire pressures were --. I was hoping it was the spare that threw it off, but it was working before so I don't see how it could be related. Also, my app sensor is going out and maybe that's what's throwing it off too?