TMPS System Error? Popped a Tire and now shows error

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TMPS System Error? Popped a Tire and now shows error

So I popped a tire the other day hitting a pot hole and the TMPS (Tire Pressure Monitor System) immediately kicked in as I watched it count down the tire pressure. I put the donut tire on, threw the popped tire in the trunk, and about 3 or 4 hours later I got a TMPS error and no tires were displaying any longer on the system. When it first happened 3 of the 4 were showing as usual with the popped one not showing, then they all disappeared.

Anyone know why this may have happened? Could it be because 1 of the tires is at zero the other 3 are not showing, or is there some type of reset that happened?

I didn't want to go to the dealer to get a new tire since they don't offer a tread warranty, and I already popped another tire so I expect to pop more.

If anyone knows if this is regular behavior and it will return automatically once that 1 tire is fixed, or will the dealer have to do a reset?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
hmm...that is strange. i would think that just the ONE tire you replaced would have an error, not all 4.

maybe...and this is a big maybe...if you have 1 tire with NO TPMS whatsoever, and 3 tires WITH TPMS they will all not show up on the MID. i only suggest that bc i've driven around with a damaged TPMS on one wheel and i got the annoying orange indicator light on the dash and it would not show the tire pressure on the MID for any of the tires. that could be whats going on here. maybe you need all 4 TPMS to be functional for it to show up on the MID.

dealer wont have to reset anything, there is nothing to reset. the TPMS automatically recalibrate themselves after a mile or so of driving.

idk bud...that is a strange one. hopefully somebody can chime in and help you out. best of luck.

Last edited by SharksBreath; 01-04-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by MustBeTL
So I popped a tire the other day hitting a pot hole and the TMPS (Tire Pressure Monitor System) immediately kicked in as I watched it count down the tire pressure. I put the donut tire on, threw the popped tire in the trunk, and about 3 or 4 hours later I got a TMPS error and no tires were displaying any longer on the system. When it first happened 3 of the 4 were showing as usual with the popped one not showing, then they all disappeared.

Anyone know why this may have happened? Could it be because 1 of the tires is at zero the other 3 are not showing, or is there some type of reset that happened?

I didn't want to go to the dealer to get a new tire since they don't offer a tread warranty, and I already popped another tire so I expect to pop more.

If anyone knows if this is regular behavior and it will return automatically once that 1 tire is fixed, or will the dealer have to do a reset?
I don't know about Acura's system, since I never popped a tire on our Acura, but on my Infiniti, when I removed one of the wheels, the TPMS system went into an error state after 30 minutes. In the manual, it said if it can't get a reading from one of the sensors after 30 minutes, it will go into this error state to alert the driver of a malfunction.

I suspect Acura may have a similar setup, so it may be telling you that it can't find the sensor, and went into an error state? If it's in your trunk, I'm not sure about that tho... Cuz on my Infiniti, when it went into the error state, I put the wheel in the trunk, until the new tire arrived, and that cleared the error.

However, I do know that on Infiniti you have to individually register each sensor with the TPMS system, so it always knows which sensor goes with which wheel... I know on Acura, you don't need to register the TPMS at all, it just tries to detect the sensor in each wheel position, so it could just be more sensitive to a missing sensor than the Infiniti TPMS system?

The only error states I know of (besides TPMS malfunction) are Low Battery Condition, Missing Sensor, and Invalid Sensor Reading.

Edit: Oh yeah, I thought of one more thing... In the manual for my Infiniti (hopefully it still applies), it says that the sensors in the wheels go to sleep after a while. It automatically wakes up when the wheels start to rotate. If the wheel is in your trunk, the sensors could have gone to sleep, and since there is no rotation, they are not waking up. I know if you place a strong magnet near the valve stem, it forces the sensor to wake up... Most tires shops have that tool, if you wanted to try that, to see if it clears your error state.

Last edited by avs007; 01-04-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the detailed replies!!!
Sounds like the system may just be in error mode since it sense a full blown tire (Not just low). I'm planning to have the tire or all the tires replaced. I called a tire place and they said they reset the system if it needs it no charge if you buy the tires so I'll start there and if that doesn't work go hound the dealer while I'm still under warranty.

I'm in the market for new tires, and plan to get the road hazard warranty ($9.99 per tire) and the tires are pro-rated based on how much life is left. This is the second tire I've popped in the last 2 years (One bubbled on the side wall, one full pop out the side wall) hitting obstructions in the pavement and that hazard warranty should be worth its weight. Anyone recommend any tires? I posted in the tire category too, just figured I'd mention it here in case anyone loved a tire.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
when one of my tpms transmitters in my tire went bad, that wheel read 58 for a couple mins before i got a tpms error message and none of the pressures were displayed in the mid.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I had a similar issue when i first bought my car. tpms system error was displayed and no tire pressure was displayed only dashes....luckaly car was still under warranty...took it to the dealer. one of the sensors was bad so they ahd to replace it. so my guess is any time one of the sensors goes bad the error automatically comes up not displaying any tire presure. dude its an issue with that one tire. once u get that fixed u should be good. ill look at teh repair paper they gave me to make sure n let u know
Old 01-04-2012, 05:06 PM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
is your donut still on?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Thanks everyone. I'll post what happens once I change out that tire and if it comes back itself, or if I have to go to the dealer to have them adjust it.

Originally Posted by subbuzz
is your donut still on?
Painfully YES, but I've been too busy to get it swapped out but I'm not commuting hardly any this week so I decided to hold off and not rush and research what tire I want to buy.

The donut sucks! Feels like it has a hard spot lol.