There's something hanging from underneath car just behind the front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's something hanging from underneath car just behind the front wheels

Can anybody tell me what this is and how to fix it? I have an '08 TL-S with just under 94,000 miles. When I took the car to the dealer back in September they offered to secure something loose underneath the car for about $50, but I held off on it and then I found this after hearing rattling underneath my car today. They also suggested replacing the timing belt and serpentine belt for nearly $1,000, but I was kind of hoping to put that off till I was a little closer to 105,000 miles. They mentioned a leak in my steering fluid as well, but this was the first I was hearing about any of this stuff in over 2 years of ownership, so I was a bit skeptical that they were exaggerating the problems to get more money out of me, when all I had gone in for was a state inspection and to replace rear shocks. The rear shocks I actually had heard recommendations to replace from a couple different previous mechanics. Not sure how seriously I should be taking the other issues now. Any help appreciated!
Old 12-17-2016, 07:43 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
heat shield for the catalytic converter
Old 12-17-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you will have to inspect the condition of the bolts that hold the shield in place, jack up the car and check to see if missing or busted and or broken
Old 12-18-2016, 01:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
surprise to me that the under side of your vehicle does not have a rust coat protectant spray.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:31 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
surprise to me that the under side of your vehicle does not have a rust coat protectant spray.
Pretty sure that is exactly what mine looks line underneath....other than no red and no hanging cat shield.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
With that amount of rust, either hose clamp it at each end or yank it out.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
Yank er out!
Old 12-21-2016, 09:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Antonio K

Can anybody tell me what this is and how to fix it? I have an '08 TL-S with just under 94,000 miles. When I took the car to the dealer back in September they offered to secure something loose underneath the car for about $50, but I held off on it and then I found this after hearing rattling underneath my car today. They also suggested replacing the timing belt and serpentine belt for nearly $1,000, but I was kind of hoping to put that off till I was a little closer to 105,000 miles. They mentioned a leak in my steering fluid as well, but this was the first I was hearing about any of this stuff in over 2 years of ownership, so I was a bit skeptical that they were exaggerating the problems to get more money out of me, when all I had gone in for was a state inspection and to replace rear shocks. The rear shocks I actually had heard recommendations to replace from a couple different previous mechanics. Not sure how seriously I should be taking the other issues now. Any help appreciated!
other people are right on the money with what's hanging.

regarding your other issues...it's very common to have the steering pump leak, i have that as well but it reaches a "max" and from there you just keep an eye on the fluid. i'm waiting for my local independent mechanic to tell me when reman pumps are ready to be installed from the oem manufacturer. but they said don't worry about it for now it's a very minor leak and just keep an eye on fluid.

you can wait on the timing belt until you hit 105k. also try to find an independent mechanic that specializes in acuras/hondas and get your work done with them. it will save you money