Tensioner Pulley Wheel rattle/chirp. Can I DIY replace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tensioner Pulley Wheel rattle/chirp. Can I DIY replace?

I've seen bits and pieces of this problem posted around the site, but figured I would start a new thread with all of the complete information, and to see if anyone has successfully completed this repair.

I have a 2006 TL with about 58,000mi.

Problem: Around 2,000 - 4,000 miles ago I noticed a strong chirping and rattling sound coming from the engine bay. This happens once the car has warmed up, AC is turned on, I'm sitting at idle or barely moving, and when the AC compressor kicks in. On a warm day, once you hear the compressor engage, the sound kicks in.

Diagnosis: So I localized the sound and found it coming from the passenger side of the engine. It really sounds like it could be the alternator or PS pump, but after further looking around, I found it to be the top tensioner pulley wheel. After driving the car, I went ahead and parked it while keeping the engine running. I then removed the plastic cover over the passenger side of the engine. Then, I noticed that whenever the AC compressor kicked in, and the noise started, the pulley wheel would also vibrate and flutter back and forth.

So, I'm figuring the bearings in the wheel have gone bad, and when there is a heavier load placed on the belt and the wheel, the wheel starts to vibrate under the increased tension.

My questions are:

1) Am I correct in my diagnosis?

2) Can replacing this wheel be a simple DIY project? If so, how? Anyone have a TSB or instructions?

3) Where is the best place to get the part?

4) Is it really necessary to replace any of the other components that are driven by that belt? Such as the PS pump or water pump?

Oh, and.....

This seems to have started after I had the recall replacement for the Power Steering hose performed at my Acura dealer. (Leith Acura in Raleigh)

6) Is there a chance they got Power Steering fluid all over belt and pulley wheel, thus causing this problem?

Leith has been HORRIBLE to deal with from a service standpoint. I went there for a warranty replacement of my Nav screen, and they scratched my dash and I had leftover parts on the floor. Then I went in for the Power Steering hose recall, and they broke one of the clips on the plastic engine bay cover. Those are the only two times I've been there, and will never go back.

Thanks in advance! This really is a great forum, and I really appreciate the help this has provided over the years.