Steering Damaged

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Damaged

This morning on my way to work it was snowing. While I was turning right into the parking lot my car started sliding and rammed my left front wheel right into to the curb. Now my steering is very stiff and when I turn towards the right and let go of the steering wheel it stays steering towards the right. I am not sure what it could be. I am somewhat familiar with how the steering mechanizm works and I believe it could be the upper control arm on the left side that is broken. My biggest fear is if I did any damage towards the axle. My car only has 30k miles and it's under warranty. Should I take it to Acura to repair it? Would it be under warranty? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The repair will definitly not be under warranty. I would say to take it Acura or any other reputable repair facility with an alingment rack. The sooner the better.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Since the steering is stiff, you might want to check if the car is leaking Power Steering Fluid and also check how much is left in the motor bay. Also you can climb under the car and check if the control arms are bent. As for the drifting to the right, you might have damaged the rim or thrown the alignment off. Bring it to acura and have them diagnose it, if the repairs are alot, call insurance and tell them what happened. It shouldn't affect your rates as this was a natural occurance as the car skidded on ice.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:43 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
any clicking sounds ??

you probably smacked your alignment up REAL good.. as for other damage, could be control arms, axle, you can probably damage your hub bearings too.. but that shouldnt mess up your steering too much
Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Intermediate

There are no clicking sounds. I am probably going to end up taking it to Acura to get it done. I just want it to be done right but the price concerns me a bit as well. Would anyone suggest anywhere else other than Acura for service?
Old 01-25-2009, 02:31 AM
Intermediate

I had a similar accident recently, albeit at very slow speeds. However, it seems the steering doesn't want to return to on center anymore either.

Fermin3344, did you ever figure out what happened?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:40 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
any clicking sounds ??

you probably smacked your alignment up REAL good.. as for other damage, could be control arms, axle, you can probably damage your hub bearings too.. but that shouldnt mess up your steering too much
+1

Get an alignment first, then if that doesnt fix it, look into the other possible problems blackura said
Old 01-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 446 Posts
Every dealer charges different rates it seems. I have read posts on here where some dealer charges stupid rates for simple repairs, while others are about the same price as any other shop. Just check around and see what the dealer comes back with. Luckily my dealer is fairly close to what any other shop charges so my car still goes to the dealer for the last amount of hassle.

I wouldn't even mess around with an alignment yet....unless you get a lifetime alignment. From what you have described, it doesn't sound like it is just out of alignment. More than likely something else is bent and will need to be replaced/repaired and then aligned.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:27 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to jack thread, but i 2-3 hit the curb in a tight spot with my left rear wheel. I don't think it goes over it, cuz the car kinda slides to the right?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by userbbc5
I had a similar accident recently, albeit at very slow speeds. However, it seems the steering doesn't want to return to on center anymore either.

Fermin3344, did you ever figure out what happened?

Thanks.
this is the new question and post. BTW thank's for seaching
Old 01-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Sorry to jack thread, but i 2-3 hit the curb in a tight spot with my left rear wheel. I don't think it goes over it, cuz the car kinda slides to the right?
the suspension will compress to go over it. I have seen a TL go over an 8 inch curb and the suspension compressed quite a bit...
Old 01-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I can't believe no one has said this yet: MAKE AN INSURANCE CLAIM!!!! call your insurance company, tell them what happened, and follow their directions. They'll want you to take it to the dealership or a certified shop so the adjuster can take a look at what damage has occurred.

edit: csmeance said it already.. my bad.. but call your insurance company

edit2: this is an old thread.. what happened?

Last edited by Majofo; 01-25-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

Actually, already made the insurance claim and had some repairs done at the body shop. Apparently the lower control arm was bent and replaced (steering wheel was off center and camber was off). However, even after the repairs, the steering is still too tight to return to center even after being turned more than 90degrees.

Will be bringing it back to the repair shop this week but the shop owner was telling me it may be a tedious process to find a cure..."like finding a needle in a haystack" Was hoping Fermin3344 could shed some light on the situation since our accidents and symptoms seem similar.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by userbbc5
Actually, already made the insurance claim and had some repairs done at the body shop. Apparently the lower control arm was bent and replaced (steering wheel was off center and camber was off). However, even after the repairs, the steering is still too tight to return to center even after being turned more than 90degrees.

Will be bringing it back to the repair shop this week but the shop owner was telling me it may be a tedious process to find a cure..."like finding a needle in a haystack" Was hoping Fermin3344 could shed some light on the situation since our accidents and symptoms seem similar.
Steering rack is damaged. I had the same problem with mine. After hitting a curb and replacing many components including the subframe, they gave it back to me and I couldn't even turn it with one hand. The racks seem to be fragile on these cars. Then, a week after getting the rack fixed, the left balljoint came out of socket because the tech forgot the nut, tire went sideways and into the fender, and the rack got damaged again but without hitting anything and only going 20mph.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Then, a week after getting the rack fixed, the left balljoint came out of socket because the tech forgot the nut, tire went sideways and into the fender, and the rack got damaged again but without hitting anything and only going 20mph.
That must have been quite an exciting ride!
Guess you were a little fired up when you went back to the shop.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
That must have been quite an exciting ride!
Guess you were a little fired up when you went back to the shop.
I was so fired up that I had the car towed to an impound yard to sit for the weekend and rack up charges, a $180 tow, and didn't talk to the bodyshop until the following Tuesday. One thing I learned with age is to cool off first before talking to people. No more dragging people over the counter lol.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I was so fired up that I had the car towed to an impound yard to sit for the weekend and rack up charges, a $180 tow, and didn't talk to the bodyshop until the following Tuesday. One thing I learned with age is to cool off first before talking to people. No more dragging people over the counter lol.
Yeah.. plus remove all weapons of opportunity.. (breaker bar / wrench).. Glad your still here with us and not injured or in jail.