Smoking Tail lights? Don't make this mistake!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoking Tail lights? Don't make this mistake!

I did plenty of research here at acurazine.com and Rockblocker.com
before I decided to buy a kit to smoke my tail lights.
I purchased the kit online at rockblocker.com and received it promptly.

When I attempted to install the film on the tail light, the problems started.
Their website implies that their kits are computer cut to fit exactly...
depending on what YOU think exactly means.
These pictures are only of the paper backing that came off of the kit.
Why did i shoot pictures of the paper backing? Please keep reading...

I sent rockblocker.com an email that explained the less than perfect fit of their PRE-CUT product. They blamed the weather, my inexperience and even the manufacturer of the product. They wont admit that a product that they sell as PRE-CUT to fit my TL EXACTLY has to be trimmed (Its not that easy). I tried trimming it...
it looks like Sh$#!
These pictures better illistrate how the backing that the film was peeled off of doesn't fit right.
If you're going to end up trimming a PRE-CUT product, save yourself some problems and either buy it in sheet form or get it professionally installed.
Don't buy this kit... Odds are you won't be happy, just like alot of people around here!

Here is my communication with them about this

Dear Customer Service,

I attempted to install my smoked tail light kit yesterday. Unfortunately I ended up with unsatisfactory results.
I followed the directions that were included, carefully applying, smoothing and removing the air pockets. When I was finished positioning the product on the tail light, I was surprised to see that a product that was cut to fit my model tail light would require so much trimming. The instructions mention that only the tabs would have to be trimmed, which is acceptable.
Unfortunately, I would estimate that approximately 60% of the edge of the product needed to be trimmed.
I attempted to first trim the products tabs with a brand-new razor blade. The results weren't that great but I could live with it if it were only the tabs that required to be trimmed. But, as I indicated, much more of the product needed to be trimmed.
I was very eager to apply this product to my car, Its exactly the look that I was trying to achieve.
Please let me know how I can resolve this problem. I would like a kit that better fits my car or a refund upon the products return to you. I only used one tail light piece.

Sincerely,
pablojr

ROCKBLOCKER RESPONDS...

Paul,

Based on how the light installation goes, how warm it ease, how the material was pressed during the installation can all or part of be factors in how much has to be trimmed. Ie, pressing as soft as you in the summer here PHX every single square inch of the kit has to be trimmed. Right now under winter conditions with the right touch and pressure nothing has to be trimmed.

Because the way the weather, climate and unability of controlling how much pressure someone uses or how long it takes them to install the kit we have to design the kits a certain way and cannot vary upon all the factors that are spelled out here in this email.

As I am sure you aware that this is not a new product and we have been selling these kits with great success over the last two years for your model vehicle. I am glad to hear that you like the product and this is the look that you are going and wanting. But if we were to cut another set for you the same factors would apply. We also would not be able to refund you the money for your purchase since once the product is removed from the backing paper we do not allow for returns or refunds as stated on our credit transaction receipt at time of purchase.

Trimming the film with a sharp blade is very easy and does not take too much time to do so. The material scores very easily without having to go all the way through and into your tail light.

If we can help with anything else please let us know.

Thanks

Chad Hatfield

I RESPOND...
Chris,

Thanks for your quick response to my inquiry.
Unfortunately, I will have to disagree with some of the items that you point out in my email.
First of all, the temperature in my area was in the high 60's to low 70's (winter time as well in southern California) when I installed the first piece on the tail light. Upon cleaning and FIRST fitting the product on the lens, it immediately became apparent that some trimming would be necessary. This is well before any stretching could have taken place in the smoothing process. I need to make it clear that when I first flattened and molded the product to the lens there is excess around at least two of the sides (the TL's tail light is somewhat triangular), thus requiring trimming.

I wouldn't be in this situation if after reading all of the information on www.rockblocker.com, It stated what you are revealing to me in this email. I.E...
"how the material was pressed during the installation can all or part of be factors in how much has to be trimmed. Ie, pressing as soft as you in the summer here PHX every single square inch of the kit has to be trimmed. Right now under winter conditions with the right touch and pressure nothing has to be trimmed."
... I fully understand this statement and if I had known that you were selling a pre-cut product that if installed under certain conditions would require trimming, I wouldn't be in this situation.

I feel that the information at your website is lacking some very important information that would be very helpful to your customers in either making a purchasing decision or later in the installation process.
In my installation attempt, had I known either from the instructions included (which only mention the need to trim the tabs) or if you had posted more useful tips in the "How To" section of your website, such as your suggestion to score the material in the trimming process, I wouldn't be in this situation.

Let me remind you that the instructions included with the product state the following...
"Once applied: if the film is not precut then use an x-acto knife, triangular pointed knife or razor blade to cut of the excess film. IF PRODUCT IS PRECUT THEN REMOVE THE HANDLING TABS.
With only this information, what do you expect me to do?

There is no mention of needing to trim a pre-cut product on your website, www.rockblocker.com, or the included instructions.

I purchased a pre-cut product under the impression that it was going to be cut to the size of my tail light...
and , once again, nowhere at your website does it state that I would have to trim it. I believe it is wrong to not inform your customers that after they go through the search process to find the product for their exact make and model car , they can end up with excess product around the edges of their lens and not have the appropriate information to successfully complete a clean installation.

Chris, I consider myself to be a reasonable person with reasonable expectations. Unfortunately, I feel that I purchased your product under false pretenses. I invite you to go to
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hreadid=129547

Hopefully you will better understand my situation after you read the comments other customers have recently posted about your product.

I hope that you understand that a refund is deserved. If not, please let me know so that I can forward this to American Express.

Sincerely.
Paul

I RESPOND...

Chris,

Its unfortunate that instead of replying to my last email you decided to go to the acurazine.com thread that I pointed out to you to try to cover up this problem with your product. Keep in mind that I could have posted negative comments about my experience, but instead attempted to resolve this issue with you directly (my only participation in that thread is on the first page and is an inquiry to another member about your products, my user name is pablojr, just like my email address). I find it interesting that after several of your posts, you suggest that customers with additional questions or concerns should contact you directly for a quicker response. Could it be that you don't want these issues discussed further in a public forum?

I have done some thinking about what you say is the cause of my problem with your product.
I had the paper backing that I peeled away from one of the tail light pieces. I proceeded to tape the paper backing to the tail light. Now, I pose a question to you. If, as you state in your first email to me,
"Right now under winter conditions with the right touch and pressure nothing has to be trimmed" , why is it that even the paper backing is over-lapping and runs onto the body of the car?
So what gives?... Is it the weather? Did I stretch the paper backing too? or is this what you call an "exact fit"?

Please check your own website at http://www.rockblocker.net/about.htm
I found this quote...

"All of the products that we carry are pre-cut by computers to provide an exact fit to your particular vehicle. Every kit is test fitted for proper assurance of fitting correctly"
Chris, keep in mind that I'm not trying to pull a fast one on you as the tone of your response appears to convey. I just feel that considering the information on your website, the instructions furnished with the product and the fact that you are selling a "PRE-CUT" product, is it any surprise that I would be unsatisfied?

I don't want to spend any more time than I have to on this issue, but I think that it is wrong that you are seemingly trying to lay the blame on my inexperience as the cause of the ill fitting product. Furthermore, if you truly believe that the cause of my problem is my inexperience installing your product, why don't you suggest your customers seek professional installation at your website or in the included instructions?
If I would have known that I could achieve the best results with a professional installation, I probably would have sought a professional.

Chris, considering all that I have presented to you, I think that I have a pretty good case to receive a refund either directly from you or a credit from American Express.
I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Paul Ramirez
member name: pablojr @ acurazine.com

ROCKBLOCKER REPONDS...

Paul,

May I ask you what you would like us to do for you. It seems that you are having a real big issue with this?

We didn’t respond to your last email since we had felt we answered your questions already about the situation. Then we see that you were posting online in a thread about pictures about our products. Should we not reply so others can see our side?

Do you think that 100 out of 100 times you could put this kit on 100% perfect it is was made to your specs whatever those are? Do you think you would never be long or maybe too short sometimes?

I REPOND TO ROCKBLOCKER...

Chris,

Upon return of the kit to you, I would like a full refund.

Thanks.

ROCKBLOCKER RESPONDS...

I am sorry, but that cannot happen. As stated before once the product has been removed from the backing paper the product cannot be returned for a refund. If you knew and felt that the kit was not what you wanted when you test fitted on the car then that was the time to return the kit.

This is our company policy.

Sincerely,

Chad Hatfield

NICE COMPANY, HUH?
Old 01-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Intermediate

Sounds like they don't want to admit their mistakes.

If it's doesn't work 100% of the time, let's say 99% of the time, wouldn't it be smart to re-imburse the 1%? I mean, how much are they losing?
Old 01-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Gohensun
Sounds like they don't want to admit their mistakes.

If it's doesn't work 100% of the time, let's say 99% of the time, wouldn't it be smart to re-imburse the 1%? I mean, how much are they losing?
The kit is maybe 2 squre feet of product that they sell for roughly $60
I'm sure that they are making some pretty good money!
And pissin' alot of people off!
ooops!, can i say that
Old 01-28-2006, 01:44 AM
SOLD 9/11/06 Parts 4 Sale

wow these are some dumb shits... nice biusiness that they are running. What happened to "the costumer is always right"??? even though you are 10000% right. Dony they realize how much money they are loosing anyway by not giving you a refund? Good Luck to this business.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:50 AM
Instructor

Sorry man. I noticed when I got the kit that a lot had to be trimmed. I ended up scrapping th ewhole thing and got it professionally smoked. I'm a lot happier now. It doens't look like you'll be getting a refund. If you do want to try it again, I have an unused set that I tried to trim on my own. The backing hasn't been peeled.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:50 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
while i havent dealt personally with rockblocker i would assume (like any reasonable business) that their response to a nice customer would be positive and willing to meet expectations. maybe enough feedback from this thread will tilt the scales
Old 01-28-2006, 02:49 AM
Team NightHawk VP

mine had to be trimmed and it looks like crap, but never thought about complaining
Old 01-28-2006, 07:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I hate to say it, but I think you're stuck here. Rockblocker's policies on return are pretty clearly stated on their site: http://www.rockblocker.net/returnpolicy.htm

It's a bummer yours turned out like this. I've had some experience with similar products on other cars and had to trim a little, it turned out fine....
Old 01-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Advanced

Sorry to hear the frustration and disappointment.

I put mine on and also had to trim it. It looks awesome though. The trick was SLOW DOWN, use heat, and lots of soapy water.

BTW, I bought my set from an Acurazine member for a fraction of what it is sold by Rockblocker. The prices on the Rockblocker site were more than I was willing to pay.

At the end of the day, it is still just a sheet of plastic.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I hate to say it, but I think you're stuck here. Rockblocker's policies on return are pretty clearly stated on their site: http://www.rockblocker.net/returnpolicy.htm
They repaired this link when I brought it to their attention that It was broken.... When I clicked on it I got a big "FILE NOT FOUND!"

Originally Posted by neuronbob
It's a bummer yours turned out like this. I've had some experience with similar products on other cars and had to trim a little, it turned out fine....
Take a look at http://www.rockblocker.net/about.htm
Its where I found this ...
"All of the products that we carry are pre-cut by computers to provide an exact fit to your particular vehicle. Every kit is test fitted for proper assurance of fitting correctly."

The kit is PRE-CUT and the are tout an EXACT FIT...
I tried to trim it... I LOOKED LIKE SH#@!
Old 01-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I think Im missing something here with your pictures. Why are the corners missing? Is that how it came or did you cut it that way to show us the overlap.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Import and Domestic owner

I got the tail lights and fronts from rockblocker. They did need a hairdryer and triming, and they turned out pretty good. I will say the fronts were a hell alot easier to do than the rear. But I am happy with the finat results.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cliff
mine had to be trimmed and it looks like crap, but never thought about complaining
i got an email from rockblocker after they read posts that pablojr & i left on another thread. they said after over a couple years of making hundreds of these kits for the TL, there were only 2 complaints(pablo & myself). thats because we were the only ones to speak up
Old 01-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by trancemission
I think Im missing something here with your pictures. Why are the corners missing? Is that how it came or did you cut it that way to show us the overlap.
I folded the corners to show the overlap because ROCKBLOCKER insisted that
I must have stretched the product in the installation process.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to doing a little trimming but the misinformation that these idiots are spreading is BS.

Its a PRE-CUT product that their own website says will FIT EXACTLY.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Banned

Pablo,

I feel that I should speak here on somethings

They repaired this link when I brought it to their attention that It was broken.... When I clicked on it I got a big "FILE NOT FOUND!"
First - we never changed any link on our site as well as you never pointed it out to us. This file, link and policy has been in effect since day one of our business. Every customer that makes a purchase online through our site as well as calling the order in gets the same conformation email IF you provide one at time of transaction which you did and received.

Second - We have gone over the trimming portin of the product in email as well as in another thread about all the possible reasons for it.

Third - You were aware that once the product was removed that no refunds are to be given since the product is now unusable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to doing a little trimming but the misinformation that these idiots are spreading is BS.
If you are not opposed to a little trimming then what is the problem then? We have discussed how, what and why this can be caused from.

I feel that this matter was closed and finished last night. I am truly sorry that you feel that we have taken something from you or misled you in anyway. But as stated in another thread where you posted your comments we cannot and will not be responisible for product if not installed by us. That is outside of our control.

We have tried to work it out with you here and in email and you do not like the answers we have given. I feel that we have a reached an end on the situation here and have asked a moderator to look into the situation here.

Sincerely,

RockBlocker
Old 01-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not an exact fit. I would have returned it.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RockBlocker
Pablo,

I feel that I should speak here on somethings

First - we never changed any link on our site as well as you never pointed it out to us. This file, link and policy has been in effect since day one of our business. Every customer that makes a purchase online through our site as well as calling the order in gets the same conformation email IF you provide one at time of transaction which you did and received.

Second - We have gone over the trimming portin of the product in email as well as in another thread about all the possible reasons for it.

Third - You were aware that once the product was removed that no refunds are to be given since the product is now unusable.

If you are not opposed to a little trimming then what is the problem then? We have discussed how, what and why this can be caused from.

I feel that this matter was closed and finished last night. I am truly sorry that you feel that we have taken something from you or misled you in anyway. But as stated in another thread where you posted your comments we cannot and will not be responisible for product if not installed by us. That is outside of our control.

We have tried to work it out with you here and in email and you do not like the answers we have given. I feel that we have a reached an end on the situation here and have asked a moderator to look into the situation here.

Sincerely,

RockBlocker
First of all, unfortunately I cant figure out how to post a PDF file of your confirmation email/invoice. IT DOESN'T MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR RETURN POLICY!

Secondlly, "a little trimming" means trimming the tabs, shaving off a little to get a better fit.
A LITTLE TRIMMING IS NOT THE ENTIRE BOTTOM EDGE ALONG THE TAIL LIGHT.
ESPECIALLY IF WHAT I WAS SOLD WAS A
PRE-CUT PRODUCT THAT IS
COMPUTER CUT TO FIT THE CAR EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lastly... how do you expect to work this out???
What is there to "WORK OUT" other than giving me my CASH BACK!

Read the threads CHAD!!!
I'm not the only customer that has been displeased with these same FIT issues.
I'm just the loudest.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Cruisin'

Regarding the trimming issue...

This is a direct quote from Chad at Rockblocker...

"Right now under winter conditions with the right touch and pressure nothing has to be trimmed."

These pictures are of the actual paper backing taped to my tail light illustrate the size of their film. The corners have been folded to show the extent of the overlap.

I'm sure that Chad will try to convince me that It will shrink to fit somehow.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is what I will say. I bought the films and applied them myself. I was suprised at first that they were in fact larger than my lights and I realized I would have to trim along all the sides. During the install, I almost felt like it was too difficult... but I kept at it, kept working with the film and carefully trimmed it. In the end, even though I was suprised at the extra work I am still happy with the product and the film has held up for some time now with no problems. I think it should be made a little more clear that knife work is needed for a seamless install on the product pages/installation instructions, but I do like the product.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
I am closing this thread now.

This matter has already been addressed in this thread, and we are working to resolve this.

Please do not post anything more on this matter until we can find out what is going on and inform you of our results.