Sell or Keep 2004 TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sell or Keep 2004 TL

I have owned a 2004 Tl for 3 trouble free years. Bought it with 75k and it's up to 105k. I had the automatic transmission fluid changed when I bought it. I just had the timing belt, spark plugs, and water pump done.

One month ago I was stopped taking a left and when I went to make the turn my axle snapped. I haven't abused the car and my mechanic said he's never seen that before so I chalked it up to a manufacturing defect. A week after that my starter went. I need new front lower control arms and found a brand called mevotec which is 180 for the pair vs 700 oem. I think my motor mounts are also broken.

I haven't had any transmission trouble but with all the horror stories about trannies going I am trying to decide if I should put some money into it and hope for the best or sell it and get a bmw.

Any input is welcomed.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Well, if the axle snapped, motor mounts are shot at 105k, I'd say someone has beat on the car, and as far a LCA, I'd certainly make sure they are needed.

As far as whether to keep or sell, that certainly is your choice and would be dependent on the price you might obtain for your car and the money needed and available to purchase the car you want. Cars are a terrible investment, but if again looking used, don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire, but if you're looking at a 15/20k mile car and the money available, go for it. Remember that the difference in price will probably well exceed any repairs that are needed on the TL.

Engine shouldn't be any problems, but the trans is a crapshoot, some last hundreds of thousands of miles while others go out for whatever problem at fairly low mileage. I’d always recommend a trans filter replacement at time of service @ 100k and the 3x3. Rest of car should be fine, just regular maintenance.

One item to keep in mind is that the longer you keep the TL, the less it will be worth and the more money needed to get into a newer vehicle.

Last edited by Turbonut; 05-07-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:59 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by albanytl
I have owned a 2004 Tl for 3 trouble free years. Bought it with 75k and it's up to 105k. I had the automatic transmission fluid changed when I bought it. I just had the timing belt, spark plugs, and water pump done.

One month ago I was stopped taking a left and when I went to make the turn my axle snapped. I haven't abused the car and my mechanic said he's never seen that before so I chalked it up to a manufacturing defect. A week after that my starter went. I need new front lower control arms and found a brand called mevotec which is 180 for the pair vs 700 oem. I think my motor mounts are also broken.

I haven't had any transmission trouble but with all the horror stories about trannies going I am trying to decide if I should put some money into it and hope for the best or sell it and get a bmw.

Any input is welcomed.
BmW?? Money pits bruh..
Old 04-06-2022, 05:09 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts

Any input is welcomed.
These issues tend to start gradually popping up around this mileage. If you're willing to do the work, then the car is worth keeping. I've kept up with everything as needed for 18 years / 357K miles. My TL is going nowhere!
Old 04-07-2022, 06:02 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
These issues tend to start gradually popping up around this mileage. If you're willing to do the work, then the car is worth keeping. I've kept up with everything as needed for 18 years / 357K miles. My TL is going nowhere!
Damn my guy 357,xxx i bought my car about 190k and now is at 213k. i hope my car goes that long. let me take to a mechanic to see what needs to be done so i can have it for the long haul too. i love driving it but damn the gas on it these days is crazyy.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:38 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Here's my 'What I've Done List' Over The Last 5 Years or So to keep it new:

Timing Belt/Water pump
Clutch and Flywheel
Clutch Master Cylinder
Clutch Slave Cylinder
Clutch Lines & Hoses
Clutch Pedal Assembly
Brake & clutch pedal covers
Motor mounts
Transmission mounts
Valves adjusted
Rear stabilizer bar end links, bushings, and brackets
Lower Control Arm Bushings including the compliances
Rear lower control arms
Ball joints - upper & lower
CV Driveshafts
Spark plugs
Battery cables
All Hoses including brake lines
Horns
Headlight Assemblies, bulbs, ignitors
Navigation DVD unit rebuilt
CD Player rebuilt
Power Amp Capacitors

Bluetooth/HFL module
PCV Valve
Heater valve
Brake light switch
Bulbs in the steering wheel and around the Nav screen
Glovebox trunk switch
Front seat leather
Accelerator Sensor
Hood struts
Driver's door seal
Exhaust System Flex Pipe

Center Console Lid
Trunk seal
Power steering pump
Steering Rack (& Pinion)
Front stabilizer bushings
Front Stabilizer Links
Subframe mounts
Front right and left rear door actuators
Shift knob
Front & Rear Struts
Radiator
Alternator
Taillight LED panels
Roof XM antenna
Oxygen Sensors - All 4
Hood release cable
Fuel pump assembly
Donut Spare Tire
Emergency Brake shoes
A/C Compressor
Rear oil seal
Battery
Hood latch
Tyiz (of course)

---------------------------------------------
Added backup camera
Added DRL module
Replaced Side Mirrors with the 07-08's w/turn signals
Replaced Navigation System w/'07-08 DVD and Screen

At this age / mileage, I can still do 0-60 in under 6 seconds. I'm probably the last original 3G TL owner on this forum - Largely thanks to Paul, our star master mechanic here in Nawth Jerzy (or Mr. Scott as I sometimes refer to him).
Old 04-09-2022, 06:26 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Here's my 'What I've Done List' Over The Last 5 Years or So to keep it new:

Timing Belt/Water pump
Clutch and Flywheel
Clutch Master Cylinder
Clutch Slave Cylinder
Clutch Lines & Hoses
Clutch Pedal Assembly
Brake & clutch pedal covers
Motor mounts
Transmission mounts
Valves adjusted
Rear stabilizer bar end links, bushings, and brackets
Lower Control Arm Bushings including the compliances
Rear lower control arms
Ball joints - upper & lower
CV Driveshafts
Spark plugs
Battery cables
All Hoses including brake lines
Horns
Headlight Assemblies, bulbs, ignitors
Navigation DVD unit rebuilt
CD Player rebuilt
Power Amp Capacitors

Bluetooth/HFL module
PCV Valve
Heater valve
Brake light switch
Bulbs in the steering wheel and around the Nav screen
Glovebox trunk switch
Front seat leather
Accelerator Sensor
Hood struts
Driver's door seal
Exhaust System Flex Pipe

Center Console Lid
Trunk seal
Power steering pump
Steering Rack (& Pinion)
Front stabilizer bushings
Front Stabilizer Links
Subframe mounts
Front right and left rear door actuators
Shift knob
Front & Rear Struts
Radiator
Alternator
Taillight LED panels
Roof XM antenna
Oxygen Sensors - All 4
Hood release cable
Fuel pump assembly
Donut Spare Tire
Emergency Brake shoes
A/C Compressor
Rear oil seal
Battery
Hood latch
Tyiz (of course)

---------------------------------------------
Added backup camera
Added DRL module
Replaced Side Mirrors with the 07-08's w/turn signals
Replaced Navigation System w/'07-08 DVD and Screen

At this age / mileage, I can still do 0-60 in under 6 seconds. I'm probably the last original 3G TL owner on this forum - Largely thanks to Paul, our star master mechanic here in Nawth Jerzy (or Mr. Scott as I sometimes refer to him).
My guy do you have the total: over the years? i have a 2005 and im thinking i should go down this list.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:17 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by Ranuponya
My guy do you have the total: over the years? i have a 2005 and im thinking i should go down this list.
Sorry, I don't have a total as these things were done sporadically over the last # of years, not at once. Where are you located?
Old 04-18-2022, 09:55 PM
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
All used cars need work. If you buy another used car, you may be in the same boat. But at least with the one you have, you already know what you have done to it and a better idea of what it needs. If you buy another used car, you will be guessing at what is wrong with it again. (soon) And used car prices are not very good right now. So you could end up spending 15k on a used BMW with 70k miles, and then adding about 5k in repairs at the BMW shop. That is 20k vs. your current repair cost.. If you sell for another used car, I would make sure to get a car that is a at least a "significant upgrade" and that has lowish miles. Otherwise another used car with 70k miles may not be worth it..

Any input is welcomed.