Relay for LED DRL (Not the harness!) is acting up

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Relay for LED DRL (Not the harness!) is acting up

I was driving around today and I noticed my DRLs weren't lit up. I got out the car and did everything to check why they weren't lighting up. Ground and power wires are good. I thought maybe the bulbs were bad (VLEDs 850 Lumens) but what are the chances of both going bad at the same time?

I grabbed the relay and accidentally gave it a bump and BAM my DRLs turn on instantly. I bump it again and it flickers. If I continue to bump it, it will eventually turn off.

Please see the video I just took of it

I guess I'm the only one having this problem. Looks like I'm going to have to purchase a new relay (not the harness). I was thinking about opening it up but it's completely sealed and I don't know how I would get it sealed shut if I did open it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can purchase a new relay? Autozone has them on "Special Order" only and they all cost over $10-$20
Old 05-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Is the harness from ijdmtoys? I had a problem from their harness and it made my HID fogs flicker due to rust on one of the ground wire.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by turtlecivic
Is the harness from ijdmtoys? I had a problem from their harness and it made my HID fogs flicker due to rust on one of the ground wire.
Yeah the whole relay & harness is from iJDMTOYs. However mine isn't a ground related problem. It's pretty much inside the relay itself. Once I hit it, it will continue to stay on until I turn the car off or hit the relay again.

Everytime I turn the car off and back on the relay won't activate the DRLs. I'll have to manually hit the relay each and every time...
Old 05-22-2013, 11:52 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Looks like a bad relay for sure. Just so you know pretty much all 12vdc automotive relays work the same way. You can get one at radioshack for couple dollars, or if you want to be even cheaper buy one on ebay. They all work the same way with the 5 pins, 2 pins are for triggering the relay, one is ground, and the other 2 are connected when the relay is triggered.

I have the ijdmtoy harness too, and I can confirm that no different than any other generic relay.

Radioshack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3020762

only $6.49, problem solved.
The following 2 users liked this post by paperboy42190:
ebelp (05-29-2013), vietxquangstah (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Mine had the same issue. The relay itself isn't water proof. I pulled mine out and you could see rust coming from the inside of the relay. Get a new one for cheap. It's just a basic bosch SPDT relay. Once I replaced mine it works fine. Just have an issue with the bulbs themselves flickering because 3 or 4 of the led's on the board are flickering.
The following users liked this post:
vietxquangstah (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Safety Car

Thanks for the clarification guys, and thank you paperboy for providing that radioshack link! I have a radioshack down the street from my house, I don't know why I didn't think about checking there!

Will buy it and post updates!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:59 PM
blah!

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
my ijdmtoy DRL recently started having problems. It runs fine when I turn the car on but if I wait around and watch it starts to flicker and eventually only 2 leds are lit up.

Problem is relay, harness, or bulbs?
Old 05-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Safety Car

What kind of bulbs are you running? VLEDS 6XB or 10XB bulbs?

If only 2 are lighting up than I'm sure it's safe to say the relay isn't the problem. The relay is pretty much a power switch. If the relay was at fault than no leds would be lit up at all.

I want to say the bulbs are at fault here, but the wire harness can also be at fault too.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:21 PM
blah!

I am running the bulbs that came with the kit. Its just strange because both of them switch to only 2 leds on at the same time which makes me believe its not the bulbs.. They run at full power when I first turn the car on. Been trying to figure it out all day.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Safety Car

Hmm... Maybe it's the harness or bulbs? Have you tried tapping and bumping your relay like I did in the video above?

Try bumping the relay when you experience "only 2 LEDs illuminating". If they don't fully illuminate than it might not be the relay. Are your ground connections good?

My guess is just as good as yours lol
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Was about to pull the trigger on a set of these until I read this thread. I think I'll stay away for now. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:50 AM
blah!

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Hmm... Maybe it's the harness or bulbs? Have you tried tapping and bumping your relay like I did in the video above?

Try bumping the relay when you experience "only 2 LEDs illuminating". If they don't fully illuminate than it might not be the relay. Are your ground connections good?

My guess is just as good as yours lol
I have tried. I tapped the relay when the light was still on and it flickered and turned off (well 2 bulbs running)

I ordered new bulbs (VLEDs) and I'm going to give those a try. If the bulbs still have a problem it's most likely the relay.. I have a spare morimoto relay from a hid kit in the past.. How do I get it to work. The plugs are different.. Do I just cut and rewire the new relay?

I tried calling ijdmtoy - customer service guy said they have no experience with the Canadian TLs so he can't help. Fail.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by DLCU2
Was about to pull the trigger on a set of these until I read this thread. I think I'll stay away for now. Thanks!
You didn't read any posts in this thread except for the first one, did you?!

Props to paperboy for the Radio Shack link.

Another alternative, which IMO is a must for any DRL application, is a time delay relay, which is a plug-and-play replacement for most HID relays. It simply adds a 10-second delay to the startup of the DRL's. This way, every time you start your car, the drop in voltage won't mess with the startup of the DRL's. I bought one for my wife's car since it has an aftermarket HID kit and auto-on headlights from the factory that you can't disable. Here's the link:

http://retro-solutions.net/product-i...ay-pid602.html

You should always be sure to wrap up all relays in electrical tape to seal them from moisture and use di-electric grease on all connections to prevent corrosion on the contacts.

Last edited by ebelp; 05-29-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Racer

I sure did read beyond the first post. But Post #1, Post #5 (Muffinman) & Post #7 (brianch) all seem to have some sort of trouble with their kit

Originally Posted by ebelp

Another alternative, which IMO is a must for any DRL application, is a time delay relay, which is a plug-and-play replacement for most HID relays. It simply adds a 10-second delay to the startup of the DRL's. This way, every time you start your car, the drop in voltage won't mess with the startup of the DRL's. I bought one for my wife's car since it has an aftermarket HID kit and auto-on headlights from the factory that you can't disable. Here's the link:

You should always be sure to wrap up all relays in electrical tape to seal them from moisture and use di-electric grease on all connections to prevent corrosion on the contacts.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Safety Car

I sure did read beyond the first post. But Post #1, Post #5 (Muffinman) & Post #7 (brianch) all seem to have some sort of trouble with their kit
a new $6 relay from radios hack will fix the problem I WAS having. I didn't even replace the relay and ever since I recorded that video my DRL has been working without a problem
Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 AM
blah!

Do I cut wire and connect new relay?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

no you pull the new relay out lol its plugged in
Old 05-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
no get a relay that fits in the plug
Old 05-30-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 705 Likes on 538 Posts
relay
Old 05-30-2013, 01:30 PM
blah!

interesting.. I'll give it a try later tonight. I have a spare Morimoto relay. Maybe that'll fit "shrug"
Old 05-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Safety Car

if it looks anything like the relay paperboy linked from radioshack than you'll be fine
Old 05-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Engineer in Training

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts
People who are having relay issues:

How and where are your relays mounted? I'd recommend mounting them as far away from any spot that will allow water to splash onto them. Mount them with the pins facing down and if you can hit the edges of the blades and relay with some silicone glue to seal it from water. I like to wrap mine in electrical tape as well after the silicone and I've never had a problem.

The problem isn't always water getting in, but moisture as it's thinner than water in liquid form.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
You're basing your decision on 2 examples versus the thousands of other people who run this kit with zero issues (including myself). Your argument is invalid.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:31 AM
blah!

Pulled kit apart. It was the relay. I opened it up and it was rusted to death inside. Strange thing is that my other relays that are beside it are not rusted at all. Replaced the relay and it works fine now. Guess it was just a crappy quality relay.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Safety Car

got any pictures of the rusted relay?
Old 05-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Racer

Again, post one (1), five (5) and seven (7), that would be three (3). Not arguing. Just stating the fact because you accused me of not reading beyond the first post (which I obviously did) I was interested in the kit, did a search and it seemed like 3/5 people who chimed it at the time had trouble with the kit. I agree, I'm sure there are thousands who are running this kit without any problems. But that initial perception of this kit failing 60% of the time would scare anybody off from buying anything.

But I appreciate your input. I think I may just give the kit a go because it definitely looks great. I'll be sure to tape up the relay and use di-electric grease like you suggested. Thank you.

You're basing your decision on 2 examples versus the thousands of other people who run this kit with zero issues (including myself). Your argument is invalid.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:31 AM
blah!

got any pictures of the rusted relay?
uhh I can try to dig it out of the garbage. I had this IJDMTOY china relay right beside my Morimoto relay (2 of them) for my HID fogs and the HID fogs have been in there much longer. I installed this IJDMTOY relay a month ago. Boggles my mind how it rusted so fast because I only washed the car once since I installed it. And it was a handwash.

So story of my life.

I replaced the relay with a higher quality Morimoto relay and that seems to have fixed the problem. Well.. What happened to the OP is happening to me. Sometimes it turns off and when I tap the relay it turns back on. Different than my old problem (turns on fine - resorts to half power / for those who didn't read up)

So I got ANOTHER relay (i actually tried another Morimoto and bought a new one at radioshack) and the problem was still there. I narrowed it down to the crappy harness. Called ijdmtoy - no help once again.

I ended up giving up. I just plugged the stock harness into the resistors and wired my own circuit for the DRLS to a switch on my dash using my spare relay harness from Mori. Now I have independent control of my DRL.

Should have just done that to being with.. Kit was a waste of money for me. Crappy quality considering the price. Can't wait to get those VLED bulbs though I got the 5k. Hopefully they aren't as blue as the iJDMtoy ones.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:25 PM
2007 TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just bought the same kit about a month ago and I'm having the same problem. Cheap LEDs cheap harness cheap relay ijdmtoy is a rip off
Old 07-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Safety Car

yeah I think its a cheap harness... I replaced the relay with a brand new one and I still have this problem intermittently. Sometimes I get in the car and the drl starts right up. Other times it doesnt come on at all.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Engineer in Training

yeah I think its a cheap harness... I replaced the relay with a brand new one and I still have this problem intermittently. Sometimes I get in the car and the drl starts right up. Other times it doesnt come on at all.
Where & how is the relay mounted? As in , location, direction the pins are facing. Also have you sealed the edges of the relay or the pins in any way?

Most of the times I've seen relays repetitively go bad, it was due to poor mounting locations and/or sealing.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Safety Car

the pins for the relay are in a specific pattern so that the relay can only be plugged in one correct way. If you try to plug the relay in any other way, none of the pins will line up correctly.

As to where my relay is located, it's behind the drivers side headlight and in front of the battery. There's a slight gap there and that's where I have the relay.

I however do not have it sealed or used any di-electric grease. Do you recommend me using dielectric grease ?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts

Going on almost 2 years with this DRL mod and no issues at all. I went with the 5k Ebay LED DRL bulbs right off the bat though.

I used a relay that I have had for 15 years sitting in my tool box and it works flawlessly.

So, I agree if you are staying away from this mod over 1 thread then by all means. Stay with your crappy looking yellowish factory DRL that look like someone pee'd in your headlights.

And a fix all to the delay start problem is to buy a manual. My DRL only come on when I release the parking brake. So when I start my car or turn the key the DRL don't come on until I release the brake.

Or for you guys with an auto, set parking brake a couple clicks and when you turn the key or start the car the DRL won't come on until you disengage the Ebrake.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Engineer in Training

the pins for the relay are in a specific pattern so that the relay can only be plugged in one correct way. If you try to plug the relay in any other way, none of the pins will line up correctly.

As to where my relay is located, it's behind the drivers side headlight and in front of the battery. There's a slight gap there and that's where I have the relay.

I however do not have it sealed or used any di-electric grease. Do you recommend me using dielectric grease ?
You're talking about the socket the relay goes in. Something to keep in mind is that although the relay may be sealed (and most aren't sufficiently) the socket may not be. What I like to do is plug the relay into the socket then wrap the relay, socket, and some of the pigtail with electrical tape. Use some dielectric grease on the bottom of the pins where they go into the relay and around the bottom edge of the relay as well. Then, start taping from the wires and work your way up and around the socket and relay. This will leave the edges of the tape facing down (kind of like roof shingles) so that if the tape ever starts to come loose for any reason the gap facing down won't let water sit in the gap and seep in. Once that's all done, use the metal relay bracket to screw it onto a metal brace (I used the bracket just above the driver's headlight in front of the battery just to the right of the intake tube) and make sure the pins and wires face DOWN, not up or sideways. I have never (knock on wood) had a problem with a relay mounted like this, and if you look at any other relays under the hood you'll see that they're also mounted facing down from the factory.

I'll take some pictures of mine for you tomorrow if you'd like. I even went so far as to paint the screw and relay bracket with touch-up paint to prevent it from rusting.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Safety Car

Please do take pictures for me whenever you get a chance lockdots! Thanks
Old 07-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Safety Car

I'm thinking about just buying this to replace the ijdmtoy harness.

http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-f...-9005-hb3.html

Isn't that pretty much just the same thing? Maybe keep the resistors from the ijdmtoy harness and carry them over to that VLED harness so I don't get the "DRL" error light
Old 12-16-2013, 10:24 PM

is this the same problem in this thread? https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/weird-drl-problem-need-some-electrical-assistance-901740/
Old 01-26-2014, 09:38 PM

did you ever fix this issue? I think I encountered it when I was working on a customers car who had this same harness. he said another shop installed it and didnt work. I messed with it a bit and for awhile it'd work when I hit certain parts of the relay or a connector. Kept thinking it was a loose connection but turned out one of the plugs was in backwards(opposite polarity). Switched it and works perfectly now.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

Yeah I ended up ordering a new harness from VLEDs. The VLEDs harness didn't come with any resistors to prevent the "DRL" error light on the dashboard so I kept the resistors that came with the ijdmtoy kit.

Swapped the relay from the VLEDs harness out for a radio shack one because even the relay from the VLEDs harness was giving me the same problem. Now it's been working since.

When I had the ijdmtoy harness I tried swapping it for a radioshack relay but even the new radioshack relay gave me the same problems.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:17 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did you find out what relay it was?

I have rdx 2011 drl r not working. How can I find out which relay it is?

I was driving around today and I noticed my DRLs weren't lit up. I got out the car and did everything to check why they weren't lighting up. Ground and power wires are good. I thought maybe the bulbs were bad (VLEDs 850 Lumens) but what are the chances of both going bad at the same time?

I grabbed the relay and accidentally gave it a bump and BAM my DRLs turn on instantly. I bump it again and it flickers. If I continue to bump it, it will eventually turn off.

Please see the video I just took of it

ijdmtoy relay issue - YouTube

I guess I'm the only one having this problem. Looks like I'm going to have to purchase a new relay (not the harness). I was thinking about opening it up but it's completely sealed and I don't know how I would get it sealed shut if I did open it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can purchase a new relay? Autozone has them on "Special Order" only and they all cost over $10-$20