Rear cabin leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 06:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear cabin leaks?

Last month I noticed something looking like salt crust on the right rear seat belts where they pass into the seat. I though perhaps someone had dragged this muck into the car, and so I cleaned them up and forgot about it.

Today I see the same thing, and now I suspect this is coming up through the bottom of the car. There is nothing on the rear footwell and nothing visible in the trunk. Has anyone else had trouble like this?

I think this might have been mentioned in earlier posts, but I lost track.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Not sure if it's related, but you may like to check This Might Be A New One (3G TL Garage# F-127).
Old 03-21-2005, 08:06 AM
10th Gear

Rear Seat belt white stuff

I have an 04 TL and noticed the same problem, the "salt like stuff" coming from the rear passenger side seat belt. Like it is wicking up from the underside. What did you find out was causing the problem. Did the dealer fix it and what did they say. My TL is going into the dealer tomorrow for them to fix.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:30 AM
Cruisin'

I have the same problem. I got the car checked for leaks 3 times but they could not find water coming into the car. I have had people sitting in the back complain about water in the backseat. When you find out whats wrong, please post the solution to the problem.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:14 AM
Shift_faster

My car is going in to the dealer tomorrow morning to see what this crap is. I've had water in my back seat before (and the dealer could not find anything but replaced my seat), I assumed it was mold now, it might be salt encrustation.

I'm a little frustrated right now with this issue. But I'll wait until the dealer gets back to me.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:41 AM
It's never enough!

I wonder if this type of leak could have a bad smell result that has been discussed for some time on another thread. If it could cause some mold formation, it could be the source of that bad smell.

just a thought
Old 03-22-2005, 07:56 AM
Shift_faster

Right. If it is in fact mold there might be a smell. Now that someone mentioned it could be salt & grime from the road conditions it does kind of look like it could be that. Plus, the fact that I didn't smell anything, or notice it until my bag caught itself on the rear seatbelt and I saw it. I wish I could be more definitive...but I am not an expert on mold.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:27 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
omg i was wondering what this shit was!!! I just called the dealer and they said its something they have to seal. They have to give me a loaner for a few days. They are going to replace the seat and the seatbelt yay
Old 03-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Intermediate

partial answer

When I went back to the dealer this afternoon the car wasn't quite ready - some ordered parts will arrive tomorrow. The service manager had left, but I had a chance to speak with the flunky they left behind the desk for the evening shfit.

It took them 5 hours to find the leak in the right rear passenger cabin. They blame it on a seal for an ABS assembly. I'll get the details tomorrow when I pick up the car, but presumably there is some ABS component that is held in by or links to something passing through the floor pan. Whatever is used to seal this must have failed or been installed incorrectly. They are replacing the seatbelts and I'm not sure what else. Full details tomorrow. The flunky mentioned that this problem was "known to Acura".
Old 03-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Shift_faster

These are pics I took before I dropped my car off at the dealer this morning. Just to let ppl know what is going on. I haven't heard anything from the dealer myself.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:13 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Wow - that looks pretty bad. Seems like the liquid seeped up from where the seat belts are bolted to the bottom of the car. I bet if you removed the bottom seat you'd probably find the cause of the seepage.

Keep us posted!
Old 03-24-2005, 06:22 AM
10th Gear

Rear seat belt salt

Originally Posted by Motoracer
When I went back to the dealer this afternoon the car wasn't quite ready - some ordered parts will arrive tomorrow. The service manager had left, but I had a chance to speak with the flunky they left behind the desk for the evening shfit.

It took them 5 hours to find the leak in the right rear passenger cabin. They blame it on a seal for an ABS assembly. I'll get the details tomorrow when I pick up the car, but presumably there is some ABS component that is held in by or links to something passing through the floor pan. Whatever is used to seal this must have failed or been installed incorrectly. They are replacing the seatbelts and I'm not sure what else. Full details tomorrow. The flunky mentioned that this problem was "known to Acura".
Here's the deal. The dealer fixed the problem on my TL yesterday, I hope. The Service tech said that there is a seal around the tubes that carry the ABS wires to the rear brakes, through the floor pan under the rear seats, and it did not fit properly or the wrong one was installed. Road spray was coming up through the floor pan and wicking up by the seat belt, result - The salt look on the lower rear seatbelt from the road salt that they put on the roads in New England in the winter. If other TL owners have wet rear seat problems, and don't live in an area where they put salt down for winter conditions, I say it a safe bet you have the same problem. In your case the moisture won't turn white because of no road salt on the road. Aso the tech said that gettig the under carriage spray in the car wash will cause moisture to get in under the seat. Ring any bells?
They fixed the seal and installed a new rear passenger seat belt harness. The Tech also said that Acura will probably put out a bulletin on this problem because they have had a "few" of these already. Hope this helps. Service was done at Sunnyside, they have good service department.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:27 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dealer said they may replace my seat as well heh
Old 03-24-2005, 07:04 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Motoracer

40 Minutes Ago
DJM52

Post #12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the deal. The dealer fixed the problem on my TL yesterday, I hope. The Service tech said that there is a seal around the tubes that carry the ABS wires to the rear brakes, through the floor pan under the rear seats, and it did not fit properly or the wrong one was installed. Road spray was coming up through the floor pan and wicking up by the seat belt, result - The salt look on the lower rear seatbelt from the road salt that they put on the roads in New England in the winter. If other TL owners have wet rear seat problems, and don't live in an area where they put salt down for winter conditions, I say it a safe bet you have the same problem. In your case the moisture won't turn white because of no road salt on the road. Aso the tech said that gettig the under carriage spray in the car wash will cause moisture to get in under the seat. Ring any bells?
They fixed the seal and installed a new rear passenger seat belt harness. The Tech also said that Acura will probably put out a bulletin on this problem because they have had a "few" of these already. Hope this helps. Service was done at Sunnyside, they have good service department.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:07 AM
Team Anthracite Member

WOW! Thanks for the pics - otherwise I was like this guy is sniffing glue...oh man - I never go in my back seat, look in my back seat or anything - not sure if I want to now...probably a damn salt mine back there. Thanks for the informative post and pics. Hope they return her better than new.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OMG that looks bad. I wonder what it looks like UNDER the seat? To get that much "salt" to wick up, there must have been gallons of water spraying up.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:54 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
OMG that looks bad. I wonder what it looks like UNDER the seat? To get that much "salt" to wick up, there must have been gallons of water spraying up.
Did you ever do that experiment in first grade where you get a little jar, fill it with water, put salt in it, and hang a straw over the opening with a string going into the water? As the water evaporated, salt crystals would form on the string.

It didn't take that much salt, either! I should check the rear seat today.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Shift_faster

Well just got the call from my dealer. Same deal as Motoracer. The rear right ABS sensor harness runs through an insulated tube that was not sealed from the factory. The water gets in through there.

What gets me, is that it was not sealed FROM THE FACTORY. They've ordered the parts, and I should getting my car back together tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Sorry to see this happen on you...

Thanks for your update, PoochakannInc. Once you got it all fixed with the detailed info, I'll garage this thread...
Old 03-24-2005, 03:23 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Poocha: What VIN do you have? I wonder if us California residents might have the same problem and never know it.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Lore
Poocha: What VIN do you have? I wonder if us California residents might have the same problem and never know it.
My VIN is 35xxx (can't remember much more than it was in the 35K's). It's very possible that people in better climes will never realize if they have this issue. I think if enough cars have this issue, Acura will issue a TSB, and perhaps issue a VIN range?
Old 03-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Don't forget to get TSB copy back if there is any... thanks guys...
Old 03-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Intermediate

I picked up my car today with everything fixed. Not much additional information. They identified the leak as coming from the "ABS harness gromment (sid)" which was cleaned, re-sealed, and water tested. They also replaced a list of stuff reat seat cushion cover, right and center rear seat belts, lower left (?) side molding, and some bits related to the ABS. The service manager said they'd never seen it before. I told them the last time I had a car that leaked was when my '69 VW beetle passed the 100K mark. I probably would never have noticed this if they didn't salt the roads around here. If this is occurring to people in salt-free climates, the first sign might be allergic responses to molds!

I spent 3 days driving a loaner '05 TL 5-AT which was quite a bit different than my 6-MT, and not in a bad way. It had OEM Michelin tires that produced less road noise, the front window frames were quiet, the AT actually responds nicely to manumatic shifting, the ride was a little cushier without producing much more body roll, and the non-Brembo front brakes were plenty strong. Fuel economy on my commute was 21 mpg vs 24 mpg with my car, but it was hard resisting the chance to flog the loaner. I still like the car, but I wish it was assembled in Japan like the RL. I sat in an RL and was immediatley impressed that the tolerances for the interior bits were much, much better (which they ought to be for an extra $20K).
Old 04-11-2005, 01:33 PM
8th Gear

I have same problem - salt wicking up the rear passenger side seat belt - wet patches on seat cushion around the belt. If I hadnt noticed the salt stains I wouldnt have detected the leak for months since the rear seat is rarely occupied.
Am taking the car to the dealer today for service and will have them check out the leak.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Shift_faster

Sorry for the bump, but I've gotten a few PM's about this issue. I'm going to type up what my dealer's invoice states.

"Diagnosis found water leak r/r seat area. Found water coming up r/r speed sensor harness under seat. Fix: Seal harness jacket and grommets."

Hope this helps. To my knowledge I do not know of a TSB issued for this.

edit:

:ibmovetoproblems&fixes:
Old 06-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
:ibmovetoproblems&fixes:
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

i just happened to come across this thread today and now i realized that i have the same problem and didn't know it at the time........ i too had the same salt encrustation on the seat belt, but just thought someone had spilled something back there so i just cleaned it up....... anyways.... i guess it's time to visit my dealer about this soon...... btw... is there a TSB out yet??
Old 10-06-2005, 10:10 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I will find out if I have same problem with plenty of salt on Canadian roads coming up

Picture does thousand words by the way.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:06 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I just did the a-spec suspension over the weekend in my 06 and I have the same problem....water / mildew / rust collecting already under the right rear seat it's very visible and obvious.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ditto
I'm glad I don't live where they salt the roads
Old 04-11-2006, 09:26 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

I've taken a few rear cabin leaks, mostly because I was too drunk to make it to the outhouse.

Sorry, I just had to do it.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Racer

Exclamation Water Leak Under the Rear Seat

Check out page four with the title Water Leak Under the Rear Seat
Old 04-24-2006, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

I too am still suffering from the same problem. I now getting my fourth set of seat belts and all my leather in my back seat is being replaced again. The dealer now has finally silicone every hole that leads from the back seat to exterior of the car.

The question is should I dump the car and get something else like a new 06 model? Or should deal with it and hope that the salt has not caused any corrosive damage to the metallic surface that the seat rests on.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks to this board, I now figured out what that white crust was. I also have the problem and will be taking my car in Monday for repair. The service tech said over the phone he never heard of this but i wonder if they are told to say that
Old 04-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Pro

Guys,

I have this same problem. My rear center seat belt has this white salt encrusted on it.

This is my problem though. I have 51,000 miles now and no warranty left. Do you think that they would fix this for me out of the kindness of their hearts?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:31 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Tell your tech it's in the December 2005 Acura TSB (Acura Technical Service Bulletin)...I printed it and brought it in to the dealership so they have it while repairing mine.

The repair is pretty easy, they just silicone / caulk the grommets from the outside (and inside too I'm guessing).

As far as getting your damaged items replaced under warranty, good luck, you do have a case since this is a known defect in the cars, I would beg and plead my case very nicely to the SAs and see if perhaps corporate can do anything to help you out.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

leak #2

I first posted my rear cabin leak with salt-encrusted seat belts in the Winter of '04-'05. The dealer (Herb Connolly, Framingham, MA) needed two days to figure it out. Don't know if they were aware of the TSB. They replaced the right and middle seat belts, sealed the grommets, and did an adequate job of restoring the seat cushion (remains quite wrinkled on the right corner). All this was done under warranty.

At the end of this winter I once again had salt appearing on the middle rear seat belt. They replaced it under warranty and re-did the sealing job. I them brought a copy of the TSB just in case (thanks for posting it).

I was surprised that this defect made it into production, and even more surprised that they didn't eliminate it with the first time repair. A recent Car&Driver long term test on the RL also reported a surprising number of problems. There's quite a bit about the TL that I like, but I'd be hesitant to buy another one.