Rattling inside passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014 | 02:08 PM
08 TL type-S

Rattling inside passenger door

while driving, especially on the interstate with more wind, and speed, i have rattling inside my passenger window. Like a clip or something is loose. Any Diy (I don't see how to remove the interior door) to remove the interior door panel, so I can look in a possibly remove the loose piece?
Thanks.
Old 01-06-2014 | 02:24 PM
06 Anthracite TL

I've had a similar situation in the past- what sounds like a rattling in the door may not be that at all. Mine was my pass side skirt rattling against the car and the circumstances were similar (at speed, generally > 40 mph, and sounded like something in the door). I took my door panel off soooo many times without ever finding anything wrong. Check your sideskirt first- it takes maybe 30 minutes to investigate. From the factory, there are flat rubber like spacers between the sideskirt and the car body. They deteriorate and thin over time, allowing for rattling. The best thing to do is take the skirt off, replace the spacers (I actually made my own out of vinyl 'camper tape', reinstalled my (A-Spec) side skirts, and all has been silent since.

The DIY for the skirt removal is in the 3G garage (it's under A-Spec side skirt installation).

Good luck! Try this first as it'll hopefully save you a lot of time (I spent a lot of hours trying to find my rattle- it took 2 years by the way).

Last edited by erdoc48; 01-06-2014 at 02:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
StealthTL-S (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014 | 02:57 PM
08 TL type-S

Originally Posted by erdoc48
I've had a similar situation in the past- what sounds like a rattling in the door may not be that at all. Mine was my pass side skirt rattling against the car and the circumstances were similar (at speed, generally > 40 mph, and sounded like something in the door). I took my door panel off soooo many times without ever finding anything wrong. Check your sideskirt first- it takes maybe 30 minutes to investigate. From the factory, there are flat rubber like spacers between the sideskirt and the car body. They deteriorate and thin over time, allowing for rattling. The best thing to do is take the skirt off, replace the spacers (I actually made my own out of vinyl 'camper tape', reinstalled my (A-Spec) side skirts, and all has been silent since.

The DIY for the skirt removal is in the 3G garage (it's under A-Spec side skirt installation).

Good luck! Try this first as it'll hopefully save you a lot of time (I spent a lot of hours trying to find my rattle- it took 2 years by the way).
Thanks a lot man, I will check it out!
Old 01-06-2014 | 03:47 PM
Intermediate

erdoc48 is right. I haven't had the rattle described here, but I spent the first 6 months I had my TL tracking down a lot of rattles and many of them came from areas other than where it sounds like it's coming from.

One rattle I swore was in the upper dash or the defrost ventilation turned out to be a kick plate down by the brake pedal. Your ears play tricks on you in this car! Good luck!
StealthTL-S (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014 | 08:07 PM
08 TL type-S

Well, I am almost sure it is coming from the bottom of inside the passenger door. I checked the sideskirt, but I am not sure it is coming from there! I think I will have to take the door inside off to look first, and then the sideskirt. The sideskirt is loose underneath and the clips seem loose, but it just seems while driving the noise is coming from the door! I will keep looking before I have to have a mechanic at acura/honda ride in it and waste money there. It is just too cold right now, even in the southeast for me to work on it!
Old 01-07-2014 | 12:31 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Originally Posted by stealthcivic
The sideskirt is loose underneath and the clips seem loose, but it just seems while driving the noise is coming from the door!
This is likely the issue - I used the camper tape on the clips underneath as well (as well as on the main mount points of the side skirt). My skirt was a little loose underneath as well (I subsequently did the repair on the driver's side as well). What I did is punch a hole in a 1 x 1" piece of the tape and used it as a spacer (for each clip). You can take the door panel off if you want. I'm suggesting the side skirt evaluation first to save hours of time taking the door panel off many times (as I did) and doing several 'fixes' that ultimately didn't solve the rattle.
StealthTL-S (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014 | 07:40 AM
:what:

Mine does that too. It's something in the little map storage pocket. If I tilt mine out, it stops rattling. I haven't taken it apart to inspect yet.
StealthTL-S (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014 | 08:32 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wacker
Mine does that too. It's something in the little map storage pocket. If I tilt mine out, it stops rattling. I haven't taken it apart to inspect yet.
If this is the problem the fix is very easy. The map storage pocket makes noise because it's plastic on plastic contact with the door panel. I eliminated this noise by simply sticking the soft half of some adhesive velcro patches where the map pocket makes contact with the door panel.
Old 01-07-2014 | 09:34 AM
:what:

Originally Posted by buzzkill911
If this is the problem the fix is very easy. The map storage pocket makes noise because it's plastic on plastic contact with the door panel. I eliminated this noise by simply sticking the soft half of some adhesive velcro patches where the map pocket makes contact with the door panel.
Mine isn't plastic on plastic rattling, its something internal. Either the tension spring is loose, a broken piece of plastic has fallen, or a hinge is rattling. Ill check it out one of these days.
Old 01-13-2014 | 07:25 AM
08 TL type-S

thanks man

Originally Posted by erdoc48
This is likely the issue - I used the camper tape on the clips underneath as well (as well as on the main mount points of the side skirt). My skirt was a little loose underneath as well (I subsequently did the repair on the driver's side as well). What I did is punch a hole in a 1 x 1" piece of the tape and used it as a spacer (for each clip). You can take the door panel off if you want. I'm suggesting the side skirt evaluation first to save hours of time taking the door panel off many times (as I did) and doing several 'fixes' that ultimately didn't solve the rattle.
Thanks again, I put my TL up on ramps and got underneath and checked the sideskirt. It was loose and I think this flapping causes the noise and rattling. I found some adhesive sticky cushioning pieces that I cut and simply slid in between the clip and it became flush instead of loose. I also put one on the underbody of my car where the sideskirt is clipped together to cushion the flapping. I drove it up to 60 mph and did not hear the noise! It was a simple fix, if the cushion stays adhesive, I think it will be ok. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2014 | 07:49 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Glad it worked- good job!
StealthTL-S (01-13-2014)