Rattle In Window

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006 | 05:52 PM
3rd Gear

Rattle In Window

Does anyone have problems with the front driver and passenger window rattling? The problems seems to only occur when i have the window down like one to two inches and when closing the door the window glass rattles emitting a wierd noise.
Old 05-17-2006 | 10:51 PM
Advanced

I personally think it is the door panel trim being loose. The carbon fiber or wood trim on the door panel in my car does that same noise you are referring to.
Old 05-20-2006 | 11:09 AM
Tri State ViP Crew

yea I have the same problem. I seriously hate that sound.
Old 05-21-2006 | 08:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rliauw
Does anyone have problems with the front driver and passenger window rattling? The problems seems to only occur when i have the window down like one to two inches and when closing the door the window glass rattles emitting a wierd noise.
Welcome to American quality...
TL is built in USA = poor quality.
Never buy domestic car, at least I won't.

Many TL owners have same issue(s) including myself. Do a search via this site and see for yourself.
Sorry
Old 05-21-2006 | 09:09 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Chester
I personally think it is the door panel trim being loose. The carbon fiber or wood trim on the door panel in my car does that same noise you are referring to.
it only does it when its down a few inches or so, if its down half way it doesn't make the noise
Old 05-22-2006 | 12:38 PM
Safety Car

dude I got the same noise metal on metal scratching....it all started when i hit a pothole and from then on in nothing but noise!.....went to acura to see what they can do and the pricks said it was pebbles in the door from the car being dropped......WTF !!!!!! it's like nothing but BS from these people!
Old 05-22-2006 | 05:31 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

My 2006 TL has done this since deliver (with 6 miles on the odo). It's a design issue, and happens on both front doors.

Any advice on the cure?
Old 05-22-2006 | 10:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kennedy
My 2006 TL has done this since deliver (with 6 miles on the odo). It's a design issue, and happens on both front doors.

Any advice on the cure?

Same here, took it back twice and it's still there.
Old 05-24-2006 | 08:15 PM
5th Gear

Window fix- maybe!

I bought my 06 TL on Saturday and took it back Tuesday to have them check out the rattle in my driver side window.

Service Dept. Manager said she had one come in a couple of months ago with the same problem so she checked on the work order for it. It seems to be the window channel. They ordered the part and I'm taking it in Friday for the replacement.

It only makes the noise when the window is down part of the way. My noise sounded like it came from the top part of the door panel.

I'll let you know if it is the fix!
Old 05-24-2006 | 08:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ohBOY
I bought my 06 TL on Saturday and took it back Tuesday to have them check out the rattle in my driver side window.

Service Dept. Manager said she had one come in a couple of months ago with the same problem so she checked on the work order for it. It seems to be the window channel. They ordered the part and I'm taking it in Friday for the replacement.

It only makes the noise when the window is down part of the way. My noise sounded like it came from the top part of the door panel.

I'll let you know if it is the fix!

Tell them to change the window regulator, that's what my dealership did and it's been fine.
Old 05-24-2006 | 11:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverUA5
Tell them to change the window regulator, that's what my dealership did and it's been fine.
Is this also the fix for the rattle when closing the doors with the windows down?
Old 05-26-2006 | 08:29 AM
10th Gear

I get two rattles from my door area.... 1) the window rattles in the housing tract when the window is partly rolled down. It will rattle over bumps and if i close the door. 2) The most annoying is the constant rattle when the window is completely up. It kinda sounds like the seal or something but i have not been able to isolate...yet
Old 05-27-2006 | 02:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by whatjones911
Is this also the fix for the rattle when closing the doors with the windows down?

Actually I just noticed after they fixed the rattle, and when I close my door with the windows down, it sounds like something is loose inside. I'm going to wait a little bit longer and see if the rattle returns before bring it back.
Old 05-27-2006 | 06:41 PM
Advanced

So weird, that I just saw this post.

I've had the same problem for a few weeks now, and brought it to the dealer twice without it being solved.

I finally think I found out what it is. It's not in the door, it's on the outside of the door. It's the driver's side mirror housing, where it attaches to the car near the window.

I was able to reproduce the sound by banging the inside of the door (Not hard) when it's open towards the front.

Hit it and there's a rattle. Apply pressure on the top part of the mirror section where it meets the car and hit, NO rattle.

I feel so good that I know what it is, but no clue how to fix it. That's going to be the dealer's problem though. I hate going back but the dealer near me is pretty coopertive as long i don't get the old guy.
Old 05-29-2006 | 08:44 AM
5th Gear

Update

Update to my previous post.

The fix the service manager suggested, window channel replacement, was not the fix. It helped but didn't solve the problem. Now it only makes the noise when the window is slightly down, lower or all the way up or down and you don't hear it.

Now she is ordering a door panel to see if that is the problem. I think I'm going to share the email about the window regulator to see if she thinks that is the problem.

I guess it's possible that these are different noises-problems? It's strange.

Other than that strange rattle, everything is great and I LOVE the TL!
Old 05-29-2006 | 10:06 PM
Advanced

I got this problem as well in my 06 TL. It's uber ghetto sounding and I'm scared that one day I'm going to slam the door and the glass will shatter lol.
Old 05-31-2006 | 07:43 PM
Advanced

Just to let you guys know, I brought the car to the dealer first thing in the morning and said "Look look, it's not in the door, it's the mirror! Now fix it!"

Sure enough over the next half hour they loosened the mirror, foamed inside and tightened everything back up.

I spent the better part of the day driving over NYC roads and it was quiet as can be. Except now I noticed at the end of the day that some of the foam got pinched so it's sticking out. What the hell, I'll cut that myself...very carefully.

So like I said check your mirrors.
Old 06-01-2006 | 01:32 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

i have the same window noise too..on the driver side..that i noticed. Not sure about the other windows. In my situation i dont think its the mirror.

If i crack my driver side window open a little, it would have a slight rattle. If you leave the window crack and close the door..there is a noise. The noise sound like the window is not secure and it rattle when u close the door.
Old 07-24-2006 | 07:04 PM
Cruisin'

I have had the regulator replaced and that did me no good. I hope that someone eventually posts a successful solution for this problem because I want to have my front windows tinted without any warrantee problems. In other words, I don't want to have the dealership blame this problem on the tint guys.
Old 08-01-2006 | 03:01 PM
UT Longhorn

I had the same problem. The dealership said it was a design issue. There's a safety feature where the window will roll back down if something is in the way of it closing. Because of this, everything has to be a little loose because if everything was tight, the window will roll back down thinking that there's something in the way. At first I wasn't buying it but the service manager and I checked a few brand new TL's and they all did this (with window rolled down a few inches). I don't think there's a way to fix it.

And in regards to KylesTL entry, I think you and everyone else have a different problem. Our rattle only occurs when the window is rolled down a few inches. The sound is definitely coming from inside the door.
Old 08-01-2006 | 08:11 PM
1st Gear

I have the same exact problems as most above:

"i have the same window noise too..on the driver side..that i noticed. Not sure about the other windows. In my situation i dont think its the mirror.

If i crack my driver side window open a little, it would have a slight rattle. If you leave the window crack and close the door..there is a noise. The noise sound like the window is not secure and it rattle when u close the door."

Mine has it on both the driver and passenger side, it rattles when it's down an inch or two and I'm driving over bumps. It also rattles really bad when closing the doors and the window is partially down, it almost sounds like the window is going to shatter. It's definitely not the mirror. I will be taking this in to the dealership soon and share any info they give. For a car with 5K miles on it the windows should NOT be rattling! Someone please help!
Old 08-02-2006 | 08:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by oppnyc
Welcome to American quality...
TL is built in USA = poor quality.
Never buy domestic car, at least I won't.

Many TL owners have same issue(s) including myself. Do a search via this site and see for yourself.
Sorry
Sure. The car was designed in Japan where their engineers did neat little tricks like using Velcro to attach the headliner. I'll leave the rest of my comments to myself. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be around here much longer if I vented my true feelings to our comment.
Old 08-04-2006 | 12:45 PM
2nd Gear

I have the same problem on my 5 week old TL.

When the front window is down 2 to 10 inches theres a really ugly sound upon closing the door. Seems a bit worse on the drivers side than on the passengers side.

Will bring it back to the dealer next week to take a look but i suspect this is a design flaw (which is very surprising this far into the platforms lifespan). I will verify this by checking out other new TLs in the showroom.

Love the car though.
Old 09-06-2006 | 03:12 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kanderson
I have the same problem on my 5 week old TL.

When the front window is down 2 to 10 inches theres a really ugly sound upon closing the door. Seems a bit worse on the drivers side than on the passengers side.

Will bring it back to the dealer next week to take a look but i suspect this is a design flaw (which is very surprising this far into the platforms lifespan). I will verify this by checking out other new TLs in the showroom.

Love the car though.
I was wondering if you had a chance to take your TL back to the dealership yet for the noise coming from your window. If so, can you please tell me what they said because I have the same problem. It is begining to look like it really is a design flaw that Acura can do nothing about, but I hope that I am wrong. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2006 | 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

I have the same noise when closing the door with window cracked. This doesn't bother me as much as the constant noises coming from the door while driving. I finally narrowed this down to the drivers side mirror creaking with this help of this thread. When outside my car, I would put pressue on the mirror housing and it would creak. The noise sounds different when inside the car, but I sprayed the mirror joint all up with a silicone lube, and now the car is quiet again when driving. I may have to lube the mirror periodically, but this fixed my noises while driving (and hitting bumps/cracks in the road). I still hear the horrible noise if I close my door with window cracked, but that doesn't bother me as much as a creaky interior (mirror).
Old 09-06-2006 | 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DrPyro
I get two rattles from my door area.... 1) the window rattles in the housing tract when the window is partly rolled down. It will rattle over bumps and if i close the door. 2) The most annoying is the constant rattle when the window is completely up. It kinda sounds like the seal or something but i have not been able to isolate...yet
When I had my 04 TL I had both issues you described, but now with 06 Accord, I only have issue no 2 (windows all the way up). When I drive with radio off and all both windows are up, the windows make constant noise/rattle. I guess all Honda/Acura are prone to those because of the design?
Old 09-17-2006 | 03:01 PM
Cruisin'

Mine (04 TL) makes a rubbing noise (like glass on rubber) when the window is closed. When it is cracked open an inch, it goes away. Does anyone els have this problem and possibly a fix?

JFK
Old 10-09-2006 | 04:24 AM
Cruisin'

Well...I took my car to the dealer for the window noise problem. They replaced the ($500) door panel under warantee, but that did not solve anything. Then they tested 6 other TLs and they all made the same noise. If it is normal and it is not harming anything, I guess that I will have to live with it.
Old 11-02-2006 | 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Discouraging

Let me state that this window rattling problem is not "NORMAL" and it only irritates me when people say it is. I find it rather discouraging that this issue has not been addressed by Acura.
So to sum up what i have read so far this rattling can be due to:

1) the regulator
2) the side mirror
3) Who the herr knows(its normal)??

so the solutions is to

1) replace regulator
2) Lube or cushion the side mirrors
3) Live with it.
Old 11-05-2006 | 11:07 AM
Advanced

I have the same problem on my 2005 tl w/nav, the dealership told me since I placed tint on the windows, the tint person that installed the tint, must have damage the window and that the window is not covered under warranty anymore, I feel like they are a bunch of assess. Well anyway Im getting my new TLS on Tuesday anyway.
Old 11-05-2006 | 02:56 PM
Instructor

i have the prob on the driver side window and it is clear that something is loose there. although this is an annoying problem i dont feel like taking my car to the dealer and let them fuck my car up by replacing everything ill just live with it for now
Old 11-10-2006 | 05:15 AM
Cruisin'

Because of Acura's lack of attention to the small details, such as the window noise, all of the rattles, cracking/creasing leather seats, etc, etc, I think that this will be the last time I buy an Acura. I expected much more quality workmanship than what I received. I regret not going with either a GS or IS from Lexus, but 'oh well'.
Old 11-10-2006 | 10:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mahaloco
Because of Acura's lack of attention to the small details, such as the window noise, all of the rattles, cracking/creasing leather seats, etc, etc, I think that this will be the last time I buy an Acura. I expected much more quality workmanship than what I received. I regret not going with either a GS or IS from Lexus, but 'oh well'.
Before I decided to go with the 07 TL-S I test drove an 07 IS350. Interesting enough it had a rattle as well, coming from the headliner somewhere already. I'm wondering if there are any cars out there that done...in particular on roads like we have around here in Phoenix.
Old 11-10-2006 | 10:56 AM

I hate my drivers side window!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2006 | 02:39 PM
IM SLAMMED!!!!!!!!

yes i understand all your problems i have the same thign when the window is half or 3/4 down, i hear the window rattling. at first i thought it was loose bcuz i got tints and they cut off the weather gaurds insid an out.( which i was really pist off for cuz i hear alot of niose whe ni drive), i took my car to the dealership to see the rattling niose and they found nothign after wasting half of my gas tank and driving out for half hr, i think it coud be the window channel, so im going back to acura to find out if it is, if anyone has any other solutions please inform me, i am gettin really mad with the dealership and the car itself.
Old 11-19-2006 | 10:21 PM
05 TL

Dude, half a tank of gas in 30 min.. It could have been hard to hear the rattling over all that crazy acceleration.

Okay, on the topic. My 05 TL makes noise now too... I can push and pull the window up and down (like 1/8 of an inch.)... I think its the window channel.

After I fix some of the rattles that I made Ill take it to the dealership and tell them to fix it.

Originally Posted by mike1988
yes i understand all your problems i have the same thign when the window is half or 3/4 down, i hear the window rattling. at first i thought it was loose bcuz i got tints and they cut off the weather gaurds insid an out.( which i was really pist off for cuz i hear alot of niose whe ni drive), i took my car to the dealership to see the rattling niose and they found nothign after wasting half of my gas tank and driving out for half hr, i think it coud be the window channel, so im going back to acura to find out if it is, if anyone has any other solutions please inform me, i am gettin really mad with the dealership and the car itself.
Old 12-05-2006 | 08:19 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

I've had the driver's window rattle for a while now... it happens as stated above... when the window is closed completely I hear a rattle.... but if I open it slightly it goes away...

I think it's gone now after I treated all the door seals with Wurth Rubber Care purchased at http://www.properautocare.com/wurucaa.html... it's been a week or so and I don't get that annoying sound anymore... Please note that this Aerosol can DOES NOT go a long way... I finished the entire bottle in just one treatment (maybe I sprayed too much...lol). This thing seems to work...