Rattle Fix - Upper Door / Window Trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rattle Fix - Upper Door / Window Trim

I fixed a rattle/popping sound that I think several others have described. It was coming from the upper door trim and was becoming pretty annoying. When I pressed against the trim I could hear it squeak and pop. The trim is easy to loosen. From the outside, just get your fingers under the window seal, pull down on the trim and push in. The trim will pop loose so you can get to it. I didn't completely remove it, just loosened it for access.

Next pic is of the unmodified trim. You can see where some dinky patches of useless white felt had been added. I guess Acura knew it was a potential noise generator. Why skimp on felt? No problem, easy to fix.

My weapon of choice is adhesive backed felt sheets. Got them at Walmart for $0.88 each. I cut a few strips about 3/8" wide. I left the paper backing on - it was easier to work with this way. I put it in next to the foam, ensuring that it followed the contour of the curve to cover the white felt pieces.

The trim just pops right back into place. Make sure the weatherstriping doesn't get pinched anywhere. I did both front doors. I haven't heard any noises from the back doors, so I didn't mess with them. Results were great, no more rattles or popping sounds from the area. I hope this works for others who may be getting this particular noise.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I checked out my car, yes, it's easy to remove and insert the felts. Great info.

Thanks for your detailed info and pictures.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:06 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aegir,

I've been having this problem and it's annoying as all hell, since it sounds like it's coming from the window which seems difficult to fix You removed the "hard/firm" trim right? That's what it appears like from your photos.

I've tried removing the softer, more flexible trim and putting felt on that area where it contacts the window but it actually made it worse.

What's the brand/name/sku of that stuff you bought from Walmart? I want to make sure I'm armed with the right stuff before I drive all the way to WM.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:30 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lore
Aegir,

I've been having this problem and it's annoying as all hell, since it sounds like it's coming from the window which seems difficult to fix You removed the "hard/firm" trim right? That's what it appears like from your photos.

I've tried removing the softer, more flexible trim and putting felt on that area where it contacts the window but it actually made it worse.

What's the brand/name/sku of that stuff you bought from Walmart? I want to make sure I'm armed with the right stuff before I drive all the way to WM.
Yes, the hard trim. I'm not sure what the name brand was on the felt. It came in plastic packaging and I threw it out a few weeks ago. I found it in the fabric/craft area. I'm sure it's pretty generic - available at most any craft or fabric store.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Aegir,

Lore,

I know you've described the same problem I had and I was able to fix it this weekend. with the window down, standing outside the car, press on the area in the top right of the window where the window slides into. it's a rubber piece in the corner that you can press on. if it makes the noise that you get while driving then this is an easy fix.

I had initially tried putting felt and other things under that rubber piece butt it didn't work. You have to pull the entire trim out of the corner, it goes back in easy, and then you realize that that corner rubber piece is a flap and makes the sound when rubbing against the piece below it. I simply took some silicone based gasket grease and smeared it on the backside of that flap, and put the whole thing back. It's been two days now with about 10 degrees change in temp and it appears the problem is gone, I still get some noises hear and the there, but not the same noises as before, not nearly as loud, and not as often. Hope this helps you or anyone else with this problem.

Also if anyone is having creaking noises coming from the auto -shifter area. you can take some teflon tape and slide it all around that opening between the two shifter holder pieces, you need to push it in with something thin (I used a piece of transparency paper) completely stopped the creaking, and even when I touch that area while driving they don't move around like they used to.

Dlev
Old 06-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

The trim just pops right back into place. Make sure the weatherstriping doesn't get pinched anywhere. I did both front doors. I haven't heard any noises from the back doors, so I didn't mess with them. Results were great, no more rattles or popping sounds from the area. I hope this works for others who may be getting this particular noise.
This is THE most useful thread I've read in a long time, thanks for posting it! I'll try it when it stops raining out here.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thank you very much, Aegir. This is an excellent thread.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Instructor

I hear a noise that seems to be located somewhere in driver front door area. It's kinda sounds like a metal-like rattle vibration. Can hear it mostly on rough asphalt. I know my description isn't all that good, but does anyone have any idea what this may be.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:31 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Dlev
Lore,

I know you've described the same problem I had and I was able to fix it this weekend. with the window down, standing outside the car, press on the area in the top right of the window where the window slides into. it's a rubber piece in the corner that you can press on. if it makes the noise that you get while driving then this is an easy fix.

I had initially tried putting felt and other things under that rubber piece butt it didn't work. You have to pull the entire trim out of the corner, it goes back in easy, and then you realize that that corner rubber piece is a flap and makes the sound when rubbing against the piece below it. I simply took some silicone based gasket grease and smeared it on the backside of that flap, and put the whole thing back. It's been two days now with about 10 degrees change in temp and it appears the problem is gone, I still get some noises hear and the there, but not the same noises as before, not nearly as loud, and not as often. Hope this helps you or anyone else with this problem.

Also if anyone is having creaking noises coming from the auto -shifter area. you can take some teflon tape and slide it all around that opening between the two shifter holder pieces, you need to push it in with something thin (I used a piece of transparency paper) completely stopped the creaking, and even when I touch that area while driving they don't move around like they used to.

Dlev
Dlev,

I think you're talking about the flap thing on the upper right side of the window (the side closest to the seat belt), right? If so, I've tried a myriad of things including putting some foam tape there but that didn't help (made things worse). I tried what Aegir suggested but haven't driven enough to see if it made a difference yet.

What is considered the "backside" of the flap? Surely not the side that touches the window, right? I'm assuming you mean the side that touches the rest of the window trim/seal? And where do you find silicone based gasket grease?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Advanced

Dlev,
If you could....elaborate a little more about the creaking around the shift knob. What is teflon tape, and transparency paper? Where did you get them and did you have to cut the tape to make it fit in wherever it was you put it?
I have the same noise.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:43 AM
Intermediate

Dlev,

I think you're talking about the flap thing on the upper right side of the window (the side closest to the seat belt), right? If so, I've tried a myriad of things including putting some foam tape there but that didn't help (made things worse). I tried what Aegir suggested but haven't driven enough to see if it made a difference yet.

What is considered the "backside" of the flap? Surely not the side that touches the window, right? I'm assuming you mean the side that touches the rest of the window trim/seal? And where do you find silicone based gasket grease?

Yes, you are correct, not the side that touches the window. I was only able to get behind the flap by pulling out the entire trim out of the corner. I found the greese at my lab, I would imagine that something similiar could be found at a hardware store. Just make sure it's silicone because it's the most inert and won't harm anything.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MSF2
Dlev,
If you could....elaborate a little more about the creaking around the shift knob. What is teflon tape, and transparency paper? Where did you get them and did you have to cut the tape to make it fit in wherever it was you put it?
I have the same noise.
So it's not the shift knob, but the two plastic trim pieces that make up the shifter housing. you have the outer metallic colored square piece that sits on the carbon fiber, and then the inner square with the gates for the shifter. THese two pieces were producing a constant creaking sound for me when I was driving, some days worse than others, and I could feel them flex and creak if I lightly put my fingers on them while I was driving. It is that very thin seem where the two pieces meet that I shoved the teflon tape in all the way around.

Teflon tape is a white tape like material, not sticky, but slippery, used mainly to wrap around threads on screws to make them screw in easier. You can get it at auto store of hardware store. I just cut a piece of copy machine transparency to push the tape down into the opening so it wasn't visible.

Dlev
Old 06-23-2004, 06:55 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dlev
Yes, you are correct, not the side that touches the window. I was only able to get behind the flap by pulling out the entire trim out of the corner. I found the greese at my lab, I would imagine that something similiar could be found at a hardware store. Just make sure it's silicone because it's the most inert and won't harm anything.
let me know if you have trouble identifying the back of the flap. The best thing to do is once you've pulled the trim out, reach into that corner where the window would go and you should be able to pull back that corner piece with your finger, and it pulls out as a triangular flap, it's the back side of this that you want to coat. you might be able to get away with putting foam or felt in there instead of greese, but that was just what I used.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:48 AM
Disproportionate Member

So what's the verdict after a week or so... does this fix actually work?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:05 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I put felt tape all around the hard trim areas (like the photos above) and actually pulled the paper backing to ensure the felt didn't move. That said, it still creaks and rattles slightly, so now I'm thinking it's the headliner area by the "oh shit!" bar. Thoughts?
Old 07-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Intermediate

Has anyone taken this complaint to their dealer yet? I'm planning to do this when my first oil change comes up. For $32K I don't think I should have to stuff aftermarket felt strips into the window trim.

I wonder if we'd get any useful response from Acura if everyone on the list who has the problem co-signed a group letter to them asking for a definitive fix?
Old 07-05-2004, 02:51 AM
Team WDP Surgeon General

I put felt tape all around the hard trim areas (like the photos above) and actually pulled the paper backing to ensure the felt didn't move. That said, it still creaks and rattles slightly, so now I'm thinking it's the headliner area by the "oh shit!" bar. Thoughts?

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80513

Good post here. Lore hope this link helps your "oh-shit" bar squeaks. The fix I did as described in this link has worked very well. I have no squeaks from the headliner anymore at all.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aegir
I fixed a rattle/popping sound that I think several others have described. It was coming from the upper door trim and was becoming pretty annoying. When I pressed against the trim I could hear it squeak and pop. The trim is easy to loosen. From the outside, just get your fingers under the window seal, pull down on the trim and push in. The trim will pop loose so you can get to it. I didn't completely remove it, just loosened it for access.

Next pic is of the unmodified trim. You can see where some dinky patches of useless white felt had been added. I guess Acura knew it was a potential noise generator. Why skimp on felt? No problem, easy to fix.

My weapon of choice is adhesive backed felt sheets. Got them at Walmart for $0.88 each. I cut a few strips about 3/8" wide. I left the paper backing on - it was easier to work with this way. I put it in next to the foam, ensuring that it followed the contour of the curve to cover the white felt pieces.

I tried it myself and it works great. Now to the passenger side door. Used felt with adhesive backing, and cut 4 inch strips by 1/2 inch. I will let the dealer check out the truncnk knock
Old 07-30-2004, 10:24 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Mine started popping again this week so last night I put some more felt in. Originally I only put it on the side with the white felt but didn't put any on the "bottom" of that trim. This time I started putting some on the bottom as well...

Did you guys get the cushy foamy tape or felt tape? The cushy foamy tape is the stuff that was already in the trim when you removed it the first time.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:59 PM